What I wanted to know

1334 Words
The Sword Lady Emily’s journey had begun. Even if she wanted to return I would not let her. The girl always surprised me. At times she seemed to hold an element of unforeseen recklessness along with courage- rare and valuable within her. Yet, there were times when I had seen how uncertain she was about herself as well. Her passion and idealism reminded me of Azarius but, now that I had finally decided to take her as my disciple, I wanted her to be stronger, guarded and most importantly unforgiving, a quality that, Azarius lacked. People had different versions regarding his death. Despite the rumors that circulated, I was sure that, his kindness towards his enemies cost him his life. Emily I closed my eyes. It seemed as if an unseen force was pulling me down. I could gradually feel the heat around and just as I took a deep breath prepared to be burnt to death, my feet touched solid ground. I fell down, perhaps unprepared, for this ending. Some time passed before I gathered the courage to open my eyes once more. I was alive, though short of breath and as my emotions stabilized, I tried to stand up, however chose to sit down cross legged on the floor as I realized that my wobbly self would definitely end up being injured. My eyes now accustomed to the extraordinary brightness around were no longer squinting and as I looked around I saw that I was surrounded by pillars made of fire. While the two adjacent to me were plain, the rest, down a very long corridor with no end in sight, were adorned with a falcon’s head also of fire. With a closed beak, and life like eyes it seemed as if they were guardians of this place. Having been in the Supernatural dimension for over a year had already taught me to be cautious. It seemed logical that I should walk down the corridor. However, I was sure that it was not so simple. Even so, I decided to walk ahead to see what was in store for me. I had barely taken a couple of steps when I was stopped by a loud “don’t”. I stopped in my tracks and looked back to see that ‘The Sword Lady’ had landed just next to me. We stood where we were and even as her breathing stabilized the ground beneath our feet seemed to have moved. An inch from where I stood the solid ground had dissolved into nothingness and was replaced by raging fire. I looked at The Sword Lady and then to the blazing fire below. My lips slightly ajar, my eyes wide and a slight quickening of my heartbeat….The Sword Lady seemed to have missed nothing when she asked me, “Are you afraid.” I nodded. It was one thing to be prepared to die. However, now as I barely escaped a terrible fate I could only thank my stars. At this moment I suddenly remembered my parents I wondered whether they too had wanted to live. I looked upwards so that I could stop my tears. However, I could not hide the hoarseness in my voice when I voiced a weak but, audible ‘Thank you’. “You don’t need to thank me. I don’t want you to die,” spoke ‘The Sword Lady’ normally. Her deliberate indifference helped as my emotions stabilized soon and I realized that I had an important task at hand. “These,” I said, my fingers pointing at the falcons’ heads on top of the pillars of fire. ‘Flammaen avia’, that is what these birds are called. “You speak as if they are real.” “I can assure you Emily that they are not an embellishment. Like the pillars of fire ‘Flammaen avia’ are birds of fire. They are amongst the most powerful birds of the Supernatural Dimension and are known to be loyal followers of the phoenix that is owned by ‘The Honorable Deity’. It is said that Flammaen avia can only be truly tamed by the true successor of ‘The Honorable Deity.” It took my some time to register what she had said. I found it strange when I heard others address my grandmother as ‘The Honorable Deity’. I had not been in touch with her ever since the incident with the dragon prince. I thought that I could…. “I assure you Emily that if you daydream you would not be able to leave this place alive.” ‘The Sword Lady’s’ rebuke brought me back to the present. “I….” With nothing to aid my defense I simply looked down. I knew that I could not reveal my identity to her. It was better for me to listen be quietly disciplined by her. Thankfully she did not make things worse when she said, “Now that both of us are here do you have any questions? Do you have any idea as to what you are supposed to do?” “Yeah……I mean when I jumped I thought that I might be burnt to death. But, when I was prepared to perish I realized that I had been deceived by an illusion. It was not supposed to harm me.” “You’re partially right Emily. The ‘Magical Well of Fire’ is not meant to harm anyone. Yet, this is the first step that anyone who wants to become a warrior must take. You must understand Emily that though you are alive, this is a start and as you begin moving, you will encounter many difficulties.” “As your mentor I cannot speak much and there are some answers which you have to perceive by yourself. I am here, next to you. Think carefully of all that we’ve spoken about and all that you have seen here. Calm yourself and find your answers.” “But, Sword Lady…” “Emily as a warrior I am bound by some rules. This is all that I have to say. You are the one who has to search for the next answer.” The Sword Lady became quiet. I felt frustrated. Time passed and the only sound was the crackling fire an inch away from the place where we stood. Miraculously despite being surrounded by pillars of fire the heat was bearable. I looked up at Flammaen avia. They seemed to invite…invite to a challenge unknown and with an outcome uncertain. I closed my eyes hoping to find a solution. And, just when I thought that I’d fail I understood. At that moment, with my eyes closed recalling all that I had been through I inexplicably got what The Sword Lady said. I understood that this place, where the two of us stood, was a temporary resting point. I understood that I might have to start moving soon. I understood that my task might involve crossing the fire raging below. I understood that I had to search for the end even when none was in sight. I understood that on my way ahead, ‘Flammaen avia’ would either be my ally or oppose me on this journey ahead. I understood that this was my last chance to back out from a journey that might cost me my life. I opened my eyes and saw The Sword Lady standing quietly next to me. She smiled and so did I. At that instant, she understood that I would not back out and I understood that she’d teach all she knew. I understood that not all could be answered. Perhaps time would alone reveal whatever was invisible. As I walked to the edge The Sword Lady said, "Let us begin.” A wooden board materialised in the raging fire below. I placed my leg on it ready to see how the journey ahead would unfold. I understood that I alone could discover what I wanted to know.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD