Chapter 1

1523 Words
The cold snap of the previous week was over; the sun was shining brightly as I got down from the taxi. The hood of my jacket up to keep my hair from blowing across my face.  The weather was warm a little but the wind was brutal. It carried a faint smell and also a nice view of Berkeley. Standing in front of the dorm, I pushed my hood back, shaking hair out of my eyes. I received the key to my room and when I entered, I placed the bag in the corner of my bed.  The room was covered in blue paint. A big mirror on the wall, tables, and chairs at the corner of the big bed that's next to the window. It looked different from my room in NYC.  I laid on my back for a few and exhaled. "That was a long flight."  I wondered if mom and dad will be fine without me. Well, they should. They are dhampir after all. The corner was in charge of Shadow World till I come back. Being a Queen has been stressful. You have to check if there was any evil maniac in your kingdom or world and you have to go for battles to clear them out.  I gave a happy smile. This was a new country, no demons to fight, nobody knew who I was, and thank God I could control my fangs and hunger. This was complete peace of mind which I wanted.  I heard a knock on my door and stood up to open it. It was a girl with pink hair. She was holding a wrapped pie on a plate. She had septum piercing and also on makeup.  Badass. I guessed.  She was on a short colorful pleated skirt and a black turtleneck long sleeve top and also wore a black wedge which made her look taller. It made her almost my height tho.  "Hi." She said with a bright smile on her face. She offered the plate in her hand.  I stared at her for a short period.  "Take it. I didn't poison it." She rolled her eyes. I collected the pie from her. "Thank you." I smiled back at her.   "You are welcome, new girl. I'm Ava by the way."  "Inez," I said. I heard a guy's voice as he came closer to my door. "Ava." He called as he gave her the back hug and kissed her neck. "Here you are."  "This is Owen. My boyfriend." She said as she pushed him away playfully. "And she is Inez." She pointed at me. "Nice." He said. "So will you also be going to the freshman party?" He asked me. "Yeah, I forgot to ask you. You should come with us. It's tonight at the Crest club." Ava said. "She is new, Ava." Owen reminded. "She doesn't know the Crest club."  "I... I can't." I clicked my tongue with my teeth. "I have things to do tonight, like arrange my things," I said trying to make excuses not to leave the dorm. "This party is only once in the first year so I'd advise you not to miss it. It will be fun." Ava smiled.  "I don't even have fancy dresses." I walked inside and placed the pie on the table. "Please come in."  "You don't need to worry, what's your size?" Ava said. She walked into my room along with Owen.  "Size 4. I guess" I said still wasn't sure. "Ish." She ruined her mouth as if she'd seen something irritating.  "Is that bad?" I asked. I looked at the way her facial expression changed.  She shook her head. "No, it is perfect. You don't have boobs and ass. It will be easy to fit in a dress. Just like models." She flipped her pink hair. "I will get the dress before six in the evening and we'll leave together. Okay?"  "Yeah. Thanks. And for the pie too." I thanked Ava. "You are welcome." She said as she dragged Owen out with her.  They'd looked like the sweetest couple and that reminded me of Chase. He was the sweetest.  I locked the door from the back as I sat quietly on the bed.  Denise had chosen to stay in New York. She said she had always wanted to visit and explore the beautiful places in New York City but I had chosen to go far away from demons and the supernatural world. I needed that silence. I hoped I get the peace of mind I wanted. I climbed on my bed and move towards the window. I opened it and stared outside. It has such beautiful views.  The big trees outside the dorm, and also the lousy birds. I will get used to this.  I took my clothes off and walk into the bathroom for a warm bath. I don't know what the party will look like but it's once in a first-year to have a freshman party so I definitely couldn't miss it.  *** The voice of Ava woke me up as I heard a knock on my door.  I rubbed my face as I rolled out of the bed to open the door. I needed that nap.  She walked in with Owen already dressed. The white lace top and mini skirt look nice on her.  She handed me a short black gown.  "Go on. Try it." She commanded. I took the dress from her and walked into the bathroom to change. I walked out to show Ava the dress.  "You look like a model," Owen commented as he winked at me. I ignored and looked at Ava. Smiling and checking myself out.  "Isn't this a bit too much? I mean, can't I just wear a jeans and simple top to a club?" Ava frowned jokingly. "No Inez, you can't." She walked to my shoe rack and removed a flat slipper. "You don't know how rough the club might be so I'd advise you to wear flat not heels."  I collected it from her and wore it immediately. "Are you ready?" She asked as she bent to adjust her shoes. "Give me a minute." I adjusted my hair and smiled at myself in the mirror. I checked myself out I've and over again just to be clear I was beautiful enough to leave. "Let's go."  The three of us headed out as we enter Owen's convertible.  He drove out and before we knew it, I could see the name Crest club on the billboard.  Owen parked the car and the three of us walked out of the car.  "I have to wait for my guys to meet me here," Owen said. "Alright, babe," Ava said as she kissed him.  I stood beside the car as I stared at the building then someone bumped into me.  "Hey, can't you watch where you are going?" I frowned as I poured out those words.  He turned to look at me with surprise on his face. "You can see me?" He asked.  He was on a black leather jacket, black jeans, and boots. As if he was going to fight someone.  "Yeah, that's kind of the point, but you didn't see me." I continued to frown.  "If you can see me, how can I not know who you are?" He asked.  "Really? Do you know who everyone is?" I asked trying not to course a fight but standing on my point.  "Theo!" I heard a guy call. He looked at me before running into the club. He seemed to be in a hurry.  I walked back to Ava and Owen. "You guys believe that dude?" I pointed at the guy running into the club. "You mean the imaginary dude you were talking to?" Owen asked. "You are weird."  "No, the guy right there, running into the club." I pointed again but they didn't believe.  "Inez, there's nobody there," Ava said with a worried face. She looked at me as if I was mad. "The tall guy, that looks hot? Like... he..." I started to stammer and sure about what I saw because I'd seen him and we talked for a few. "What are you talking about?" Owen asked, still seeing me as a weird person.  "You guys seriously don't see him?" I asked again. Frustrated this time. "No," Ava said shaking her head. Tired of what I was saying.  "Could you at least stop making me feel mad?" I asked. "Then stop acting that way," Ava said and rolled her eyes. Hands-on her upper hips as she continued to chew her gum.  "Are you sure you are alright? Should we go back to your dorm?" Owen asked. I wasn't sure if he was just worried about me or he doesn't want a mad person to go into the club with them but I was very sure I saw that boy and we talked and I'd hoped I'd see him again.  I took a step forward. "Where are you going?" Owen asked. I decided to have courage and prove to them that I wasn't mad. "To look for him," I said as I ran into the club.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD