CHAPTER 2: Against His Family

3003 Words
June 1, 2012. Friday. Zach, Irvin, Nate, and Geoff had finally completed all the necessary requirements for the registration of their limited liability corporation with a start-up capital of two million five hundred thousand with Zach owning 85 %, Irvin, Nate and Geoff owning 5 % each. They already had with them the Certificate of Registration from the Securities and Exchange Commission, the barangay clearance where their leased business office was located, the business permit from the City Mayor's Office, and the Certificate of Registration from the Internal Revenue Service. After their soft opening, they had a conversation regarding the three online games of V+ Tech Company, where they were all top players. The three games were – Cyber Wars, Blitz, and Battlefield. V+ Tech Company of Callix Valderama had just been established last January 2012. Some of the top players of the three games in the country known for their online aliases were: Liege, who was Zach, ranking first; Queen, who was Ella, ranking second; Blaze, who was Geoff ranking third; Bomb, who was Nate ranking eighth; and Shark, who was Irvin ranking tenth. Among the four of them, only Geoff knew that his sister was Queen. In their online team, D' ZINGERS for the three games, Queen is the fifth member to complete their team of five. . Zach asked, "Do you personally know Queen, Geoff? I had been communicating to her online asking her to join our team but it was only you who were able to convince her." Geoff did not reveal the true identity of his sister, "Yes. I know Queen. But I promised Queen not to reveal her true identity to anyone. That was the only condition she had set for her to agree to join our team." Irvin commented, "She is an excellent player in all of those three games. I would often ask her for a one on one battle whenever she is online, but I had never won over her. She is just so quick and smart." Nate agreed, "I also never won against her whenever we play one on one." Geoff imparted, "I sometimes win against her but most of the time I lose." Irvin asked, "How about you, Zach? Have you played 1 on 1 with her? She ranks 3rd in the world." Zach responded, "Queen already ranks second in the world, Vin. Yes, I have played 1 on 1 with her several times. We are just at a deadlock." Nate remarked, "So we now have the number 1 and the number 2 in the world rankings in our team. That is really nice!" Geoff answered, "What about suggesting to V+ Tech Company about hosting an actual E-sport Tournament?" Zach acknowledged that, "We can suggest that on their online games platform." June 2, 2012, Saturday. When Zach did not return home to Horrev City after his graduation to start working in the IT team of Belmonte Group of Companies, his parents went to his condominium unit. Daddy Alexander told him, "Why haven't you come home yet?" His answer was, "I have already processed my application for my MBA degree, Dad. I decided to stay here first in Vienburg. I established my own company along with my classmates. I can still work for the IT team of BGC remotely." Daddy Alexander firmly said, "No way! You should pack now and go home with us." He tried to reason out with his father, "Dad, please just allow me this once to pursue what I really like. Please just let me continue to prove that I can also make it on my own. I just simply cannot abandon my friends. Our company is already registered, Dad. Anyway, I will still fulfill my promise to work in the IT team and pursue my MBA." Mommy Violeta somehow vouched for their son, "There is no harm in heeding to Zach's request, hon. Let us give him a chance to gain more experience. Anyway, he will still be taking his MBA." Zach mouthed a silent "Thanks, Mom," to her mother. Daddy Alexander then said, "Okay. But once you finish your MBA and this small company of yours does not succeed, then you will go back home and work for BGC." Zach acknowledged, "Yes, Dad." His father even added, "I really don't get it. Why do you still want to pursue this technology firm from scratch? There is a good position waiting for you at BGC." Zach told his Dad, "I want to do things my own way, Dad. I can still help with the family's business empire anyway, even if I don't work there fulltime. Besides, my brothers and sister are all working for BGC already and they are all doing very well. Software development is really my passion. Developing games is just secondary, so my firm will survive. I have already worked on the updates and further improvement of our operations systems at Belmonte Logistic Company. I have also improved the official website of BGC. I and the head of our IT team have a good working relationship. So let us just have it stay that way. He is good at his job. He got good leadership that I still do not have. I still need to learn a lot of things, Dad. And I want to learn them on my own." Daddy Alexander then rested his case, "Fine. You may do it your way for now," and then brought out the topic about Kelsey Mariano, "Anyway, Kelsey has been complaining to us that you've been ignoring her. You should get to know her better. You and her will be husband and wife in the future." Zach responded, "I think that she should just focus first on her studies, Dad, and don't just think of dating. I want a well-educated wife, Dad. How will she be able to finish her degree if all she can think of are shopping, partying, and dating? She is also too wild for my taste. She is not just like Mom. She is actually the opposite of all of Mom's traits. Can I just decide on my own marriage? Anyway, I don't plan to get married until I reached 30." Daddy Alexander advised him, "Then try to change her to your liking." Zach replied, "She is too much of a spoiled brat to change, Dad. She should have known better. I don't need to change her. She must know how to discern between what is right and what is wrong. She has no regard for the feelings of others. She is also very materialistic. It might be her parents' money that she is spending right now. But shopping for new outfits every day is just way too much. Partying every night is also not acceptable to me. There are a lot of good things that she can do than spending money frivolously and incessantly." Mommy Violeta then put a stop of their discussion, "Anyway, let us all have dinner first. I already made a reservation." To Zach's dismay, the dinner was attended by Kelsey as well. His mother had started a casual conversation with Kelsey, "So what about your studies, Kelsey? Will you be going home to Sorocon for the school break?" Kelsey answered, "My studies are fine, Tita. I passed all my subjects. As for going home to Sorocon, I might not be able to do it often. I will also accompany Mom on visiting my aunt living in Paris." His mother asked, "What course are you taking again in Athenaeum, hija? Kelsey responded, "I am taking up management, Tita." His father commented, "That is nice! You can help your family with managing their businesses in the future." Kelsey replied, "Yes, Tito." Then Kelsey asked Zach, "How about you, Zach? What are your plans now that you have already graduated?" He answered with a poker face, "I will just work and then pursue my MBA." His father smiled seeing his son and Kelsey talked, and then suggested, "What about you making it a point to go out on a date once a month? Will that be fine with you, Kelsey?" Kelsey smiled and responded, "It will just be fine with me, Tito. But then Zach is too busy to even message or call me." His father said, "From now, he will go out with you on a date of your choice once a month. And you must send me a proof of it, Kelsey. Zach?" Zach felt so disappointed with what his father did, so he just said, "Since you will be leaving for France, then let us just start with it as the next school year commences. I will be busy this entire school break." Kelsey just uttered, "Okay." After dinner, Zach's parents had already left and gone back home to Horrev City. Zach then drove Kelsey home to the condominium in Maunni City where she was staying. They talked while they were on their way. Zach told Kelsey calmly, "Just because my Dad suggested us to go out on a monthly date, it does not mean that my feelings for you will change, Kelsey." Kelsey asked, "What do you not like about me, Zach?" Zach answered stoically, "If I enumerate all the things that I don't like about you, you will just get hurt. So it is much better that I didn't tell you." Kelsey inquired, "Are you in love with somebody else?" Zach responded expressionlessly, "I don't even have time for that, Kelsey. I'm busy starting a new tech firm, then I will still have to do some work for BGC even if I am here in Missi. I will also start the first term of my MBA program in August. All my days will be filled with balancing work and graduate studies." Kelsey questioned him, "So how can we even go out on a date?" Zach told her coldly, "That is exactly my point. I will have no time for those dates. What is the use of going out on a date anyway? Do you really want to enter a loveless marriage?" Kelsey said, "No. But I like you so much." Zach stated emotionlessly, "You only like the idea of being married to a Belmonte. If I am not a Belmonte, would you still like the idea of being married to me?" Kelsey reiterated, "But you are a Belmonte and our marriage had already been pre-arranged by our elders a long time ago." Zach then asked her, still maintaining his stoic manner, "Then what would you do if I told you that I didn't want anything to do with BGC?" Kelsey wanted confirmation, "You don't want to work in your family's business empire? Why?" Zach said, "Because if I have my way, then I will just want to live my life the way I like it. I can pursue the career that I really want. I can freely decide about my own life. I can even freely choose the lady that I will marry." Kelsey's reaction was, "If you do that, then your elders might disinherit you?" Zach stated icily, "That is true! But I have my brain and my body. I can work to earn my own keep. So if you decide to marry me, then I might not be able to support the extravagant life that you are used to." Kelsey then told him, "You are just saying this so that I will give up on you. You will not do that." Zach replied serenely, "Then you will just have to wait and see if I will do that or not." Kelsey then asked, "Don't you really like me even for a bit? I can change." Zach told her, "You have some good qualities and you also have some bad qualities. But I just don't feel anything romantic towards you. And you don't need to change just for my sake, Kelsey." In Kelsey's mind – You will not do that. You cannot just turn your back on your family. If you do that, you might lose everything. Will you really be willing to lose everything, just to be able to live the life you want away from the control of your family? You are just bluffing. You just want me to give up on you. I am sorry, but I cannot do that. You are my betrothed and it will stay that way even if you are ignoring me. A lot of ladies envy me because I have an intelligent, handsome, and rich boyfriend. No one can outlast you. Whether you like it or not, we will be husband and wife in the future. I don't mind entering a loveless marriage for as long as I can still enjoy the life of a Belmonte wife. Your elders had chosen me for you a long time ago. And my elders had chosen you for me. There will be no backing out. So just go on doing your thing and I will enjoy living my life for now. That evening, when Zach reached the comfort of his condominium unit. He checked on the online games platform of V+ Tech Company. He had immediately seen hope for the future of ZING Technology. The V+ Tech Company was in search of a new breed of programmers to improve the current versions of their three world-known online games. He immediately sent a group message to his three best friends using their own private messaging app – Let us meet tomorrow at my place at 8 AM. I have something to discuss regarding the future of ZING Technology. He immediately saw the reply of Geoff – Is it about the advertisement of V+ Tech Company regarding the improvement of the current versions of their three world-known online games, where we are all top players? He responded to the message –Yes. I already sent an e-mail to the link provided. I told them that our small technology firm will be willing to present a proposal for the improvement of those games. I indicated that we are programmers and top players of those three games. Geoff had replied – Then see you tomorrow. I also have a personal favor to ask. He responded – What is it? Geoff messaged – I just finished a food delivery app for our restaurant. I want you to critic it for further improvement. He sent a message of affirmation – Sure! That is really a great idea. I don't need to go to your family's restaurant anymore if I am too busy. I will use the app for food delivery. Geoff replied – I cannot take the credit solely. The idea was from Ella. I just did the programming aspect. Afterwards, Zach saw that Queen was online on the the online games platform of V+ Tech Company. He had sent her a personal message as Liege. Liege: There is an incoming tournament for a pair at Blitz, one male player and one female player. Can we join as a pair? Queen: I am very sorry. But Blaze just asked me to be his partner in the tournament a while ago. I had already agreed and we had already processed our registration as a pair. Perhaps, next time. Liege: That is okay. Perhaps I am not just lucky when it comes to having a female partner. Queen: In the game or in real life? Liege: Both Queen: You have my full attention, Captain. Liege: I would rather not talk about it. But thanks anyway. I will not just participate in the tournament." Queen: Why?! Liege: Just like Blaze, I only want to pair with the best female player, but he beats me at asking you first. It seems that the two of you are very close. Queen: Not really. We often argue even about petty and trivial matters. But we have known each other for a very long time. Liege: Good luck on the tournament then. Queen: Thanks. Got to go now. Good night, Captain. Liege: Good night. Then he heard his smartphone sound. It was a message notification. The message was from his mother saying – We just got home. Your Lolo was not happy that you did not come home with us. He was also mad that we allowed you to continue with this technology firm of yours. You should come home sometime just to assuage your Lolo's disappointment. Zach responded with the message – I will try next weekend, Mom. Thank you very much for informing me. Thank you very much as well for backing me up with Dad. You really know my dreams and aspirations. His mother replied – Anything for you, son. So try harder to succeed in this firm of yours. It will be the only way that you can prove to your Lolo and to your Dad that you have the capacity to succeed on your own. Zach replied to the message – I will try my best, Mom. His mother then asked about Kelsey – Did you drive Kelsey home? He replied – Yes, Mom. I drove her home. His mother then sent this message –I was not able to disagree with your Dad when he suggested the monthly date. He responded with – I understand, Mom. But Kelsey already knows that I don't have any romantic feelings for her. She just does not want to give up. His mother replied with – Why will she give up? You are intelligent, handsome and rich. She cannot find someone better than you. But then your Lolo and your Dad cannot just back out of the pact even if you have mentioned all those qualities that you don't like about Kelsey. It will ruin the years of friendship of our family with the Marianos. Kelsey's father is still the Governor of the State of Sorocon. So please try very hard not to be harsh with her. He replied with – I am always calm whenever I talk to her. I'm not harsh with her.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD