Prologue

565 Words
I don’t actually remember the first time I met Amy. I’m pretty sure it was before the world ended. Or maybe my memory is just funny after everything that happened. All run together in that way time gets mixed up in your head. All I know is I wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for him after the Demons took over the world. In fact, I’m not entirely sure his rescuing me was an accident at all. I have a feeling he’d been running around keeping an eye on me and several other humans he felt a fondness for the whole time. What I don’t know, is how I got his attention in the first place. But that, I guess, is neither here nor there. On the day in question though, I happened to be heading back to the colony I was living in, and of all the things in this world to stumble upon, I stumbled upon a bear. Seriously. A bear. In the middle of a Demon apocalypse where my worst fears were being caught and used up by Demons or humans as a breeder or a slave, I freakin’ stumble across an ever-lovin’bear of all things! The irony was not lost on me. Any information about bear attacks I might have ever known dropped from my head like a stone falling through water. Pretty sure my stomach went with it. The bear looked startled, almost as much as me. Unfortunately, our colony was having a bad year, and it looked like the bear wasn’t faring much better. To further the misfortune, I had a basket of berries I’d been scavenging, and admittedly gone too far out to find, plus plenty of open scratches to tempt any hungry meat or berry loving bear worth his or her starvation. With a squeak, I threw the basket at the bear’s face, which in hindsight, was probably a really stupid idea. As it bounced off the bear’s snout, the bear reared back with a roar, then stood on its hind legs threateningly. You know that thing about seeing your life flash before your eyes? Yeah, I didn’t have time for that. I did however see the many ways the bear might maul and kill me. What can I say? I have an active imagination. I spun around with a shriek and bolted. To continue my streak of bad luck, the bear was of course between me and the colony, so I was headed off into the wilderness in the wrong direction instead. The sounds of the creature behind me, crashing through the underbrush and getting closer and closer, made me scream louder. The crack of a branch right behind me had me spinning, only to see a heavy paw swiping at me. The scream died in my throat, and I closed my eyes, giving up hope. This was my pitiful end, of all the ways to die in the middle of a Demon apocalypse. It was unbelievable that this was how I died. A bear. Hopefully it would be quick..but.. Nothing happened. I cracked open an eye, and there he was. All six feet, glorious long strawberry blond hair, pale Angelic beauty that he was. I could have kissed him. In fact, I did later, but right then, he looked over his shoulder at me and grunted out a quick ‘run’. So I did.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD