CHAPTER 3

1405 Words
(A few hours ago) "I'm the only survivor. Scavengers got us", the ancient radio coughed. His hands worked around his temple as he turned to another channel. The trailer had seen better days. It served as both an office and a bedroom. The room was choked with documents and books piled high resting on the whitewashed walls, on each side, and on a plastic table that seemed inevitably close to crashing. A worn-down foam had been placed on the floor just behind the wooden seat that faced the table at the end of the room. A window hung just beside the table and chair. A radio, mp3 player, and a cup of water sat at the top of the books on the table. "No loots here, sir. The place has been cleaned out", the radio wheezed. The situation was bad. Resources had become harder to find and the Council hadn't let up on them. He ran a dark calloused hand through his thick black kinky hair. The wood-paneled door swung inwards and a giant of a man stepped inside the already congested room. He was covered in layers of grey hair that sprouted from almost everywhere in his body. His beady grey eyes shone with humor as he adjusted his ripped combat cargo jeans. He was shirtless. His stature reminded one of a bear. "Hey, Philip!", he boomed," you look like you haven't slept in days. Anything I can do for yer?". Philip waved his right hand to signal a no. He adjusted his black leather jacket and moved to greet his visitor. "Winston", he called as he shook hands with the 6ft 2 inch monster of a man. " I see you're rocking the ripped jeans Martha gave you eh?", Winston said before he broke into a chuckle that sounded more like a rumble. Philip gave an appreciative look at the jeans and smiled. "She does make the best, doesn't she?" "Couldn't have said it better myself". "So, you come across any lucky find?", Winston asked. Philip sighed and shook his head. Winston grunted in response. "You got a whiff of the news concerning the scavengers?", Winston implored before continuing, "We're running out of supplies to keep our spot in the Council". " Bastards are raiding every damn one of us. We need to put them down immediately but the Council...", Philip spat. "I know. I know. They keep brushing us off. We're almost down on medical supplies and food. We've got no choice but to cut down the rations and, that would only keep us alive for 3 months tops. We don't have the strength to withstand a raid as that will dwindle our supplies". " Uh, how worse can things g..." "Commander! Commander!", a voice called from behind the door. Philip sucked in a breath. Winston chuckled as he knew fully well that Philip hated been addressed formally. Philip marched to the door, swung it open, and threw a furious gaze at the visitor. A young boy with a mop of yellow hair and a small build, covered by loose blue pants and a dirty brown polo, cowered beneath the black eyes of his superior. "Sorry, s... Philip", he corrected. " Don't be hard on the boy Philip. He's still green after all", Winston said while chuckling. "What's the issue?", Philip inquired as he rubbed his nose. " We just received a red flare from the Farm", he announced. Philip swore and rammed a fist into the wall of the trailer, causing a tremor. {The issue is knowing what danger it is. If only the council had accepted my idea of different flares for specific threats}, he thought. "If only we had partnered with the dwarves, we won't be in this situation", Philip said. " That is if we had enough funds and resources to pay for their services", Winston reminded Philip. "Speaking of resources do we have any to spare for a scouting expedition". " We do not. Unless we result in using crude weapons like knives, swords, and arrows", Winston notified then said," And even if we do agree to use such weapons, we can't just hand them out to people with no knowledge of how they are used." "That won't be a problem. It's a reconnaissance mission just to check out the threat level," Philip assured. "And if the threat level is high?" "We run with our tails between our legs. If the threat is either the fortress or scavengers we are nothing but sitting ducks here", Philip confirmed. " Not everyone is a fan of running away from a fight", Winston prompted. "Then they can be my guest but, they should know that I'm not handing out any resources or weapons. If they didn't join my party with survival in mind then they shouldn't be here because I'm sure as hell not giving out weapons for a suicide mission", Philip replied darkly. " Tell Gear, Shae, Xia, Mimi, and Flint to gear up and meet me here and tell Ezekiel to give out the order for people to prepare for an evacuation. If the time comes I won't give a s**t about who's prepared or not", Philip ordered. "Yes, s...," Philip gave Zeke an irritated glance, "Philip", he immediately corrected. A pair of footsteps approached. " Hey, Philip. You hear about the flare?", a voice asked. "Yeah, I have. I've already arranged for a reconnaissance team to check what threat we're facing", Philip replied sharply. A thickset tanned skin man who wore a set of faded brown jeans and a plain black windbreaker with worn-out sneakers stopped behind Zeke. A stubble had grown on his chin beneath his hard brown eyes and medium refined nose. He had on a smile as he folded his arms below the black headphones slung over his neck. A girl of an almost similar height stood just beside him. An animated figure had been etched into the bottom right corner of her grey hoodie that touched the knees of her punk style black pants. Her hoodie did not cover the few tufts of flaming red hair that fell down her dark collarbone. She had hazel eyes, a small bulb nose, and pouty lips. She had a war bow made with different metal parts slung across her huge chest that complimented the metal quiver slung over her shoulder. " Forget about the reconnaissance team. Send Imo and me instead", he said. "After what happened on your last mission, what makes you think I'd send the both of you and Imo again? This is not a mission I plan on risking, Aiden", Philip said, addressing the tanned man. "Please give us another chance. What happened then was just a mistake?", Aiden pleaded. " Just a mistake? We lost 10 men because of that mistake!", Philip bellowed angrily. Aiden quickly took a step back. Imo stepped forward. "That's why we want to make it right. We just need a chance and you know very well that it'd be better to lose two than five", she delivered, her tone straight. He heaved a sigh then softened his tone," You're right as usual but the both of you are special. I cannot risk two gifted for this." "Come on Philip. You can't keep them caged forever.", Winston said. " We have no idea what happened on the Farm but be prepared for the worst-case scenario. You can take the unicorns. It's just a scouting mission, so I'm not gonna arm you to the teeth. Your gifts should be able to keep you guys alive. Check out the area as much as you can and haul your asses back here. Got that?", Philip instructed. "Got it", Aiden and responded before taking his leave. Philip looked at Imo and said," Watch him". She gave a nod before leaving to follow Aiden. Philip then looked at Zeke and said," You know the changes to the plan so, go and relay my orders to Ezekiel". " You say you don't want to be addressed like a leader when you give orders like one", Winston said. "Are you done talking or you just want to get on my nerves? Wanna have a drink?", Philip asked. Winston looked at him quizzically and asked," You did hear me when I said we are lacking resources. I'm sure you know that alcohol is a necessary resource for treatment". "I'm not stupid. I'm giving you a cup of water", Philip said as he walked to his seat.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD