Fragment VII

253 Words
Fragment VIIIf thou should'st read this, oh, my son! when thou art a man, thou wilt wonder how it came to pass that I did not at that moment spring upon them both, and slay him, the conqueror, the thief, even before her eyes. It was, my son, because Set had possession of my soul, because he had begun to whisper in my ear thoughts of revenge more complete, more deadly, more powerful than death. Had I killed him, she would have mourned, she would have treasured his image within her bosom, and, perchance, have loved him dead even more than she did in life. I might have slain them both; but then, perchance, who knows? They might have wandered together through the valley of death, and stood hand in hand before Osiris; together he might punish them, together send them to torment, or together, perchance, might pardon them their love, since they had not sinned. Aye! it was Set who whispered all this to me! His counsels filtrated through my soul, and poisoned it to all, save to the thought of my revenge. From that hour she was lost to me; I should never know by her side another happy moment again, whilst she and he, secure in the future, watched my tottering footsteps slowly, but surely, wandering towards the grave, my grave, the cradle of their happiness. Oh, for the strength of the gods, to build a barrier between them, which the very powers of evil themselves could not tear down! ––––––––
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD