The Relics of General Chasse-4

1814 Words
But of a sudden my attention was arrested. Miss Macmanus had said something of the black silks of Antwerp, when Miss Grogram replied that she had just returned from that city and had there enjoyed a great success. My cousin had again asked something about the black silks, thinking, no doubt, that Miss Grogram had achieved some bargain, but that lady had soon undeceived her. "Oh no," said Miss Grogram, "it was at the castle. We got such beautiful relics of General Chasse! Didn't we, Mrs. Jones?" "Indeed we did," said Mrs. Jones, bringing out from beneath the skirts of her dress and ostensibly displaying a large black bag. "And I've got such a beautiful needle-case," said the broad-back, displaying her prize. "I've been making it up all the morning." And she handed over the article to Miss Macmanus. "And only look at this duck of a pen-wiper," simpered flaxen-hair No. 2. "Only think of wiping one's pens with relics of General Chasse!" and she handed it over to the other Miss Macmanus. "And mine's a pin-cushion," said No. 1, exhibiting the trophy. "But that's nothing to what I've got," said Miss Grogram. "In the first place, there's a pair of slippers,—a beautiful pair;—they're not made up yet, of course; and then—" The two Misses Macmanus and their five pupils were sitting open- eared, open-eyed, and open-mouthed. How all these sombre-looking articles could be relics of General Chasse did not at first appear clear to them. "What are they, Miss Grogram?" said the elder Miss Macmanus, holding the needle-case in one hand and Mrs. Jones's bag in the other. Miss Macmanus was a strong-minded female, and I reverenced my cousin when I saw the decided way in which she intended to put down the greedy arrogance of Miss Grogram. "They are relics." "But where do they come from, Miss Grogram?" "Why, from the castle, to be sure;—from General Chasse's own rooms." "Did anybody sell them to you?" "No." "Or give them to you?" "Why, no;—at least not exactly give." "There they were, and she took 'em," said the broad-back. Oh, what a look Miss Grogram gave her! "Took them! of course I took them. That is, you took them as much as I did. They were things that we found lying about." "What things?" asked Miss Macmanus, in a peculiarly strong-minded tone. Miss Grogram seemed to be for a moment silenced. I had been ignored, as I have said, and my existence forgotten; but now I observed that the eyes of the culprits were turned towards me,—the eyes, that is, of four of them. Mrs. Jones looked at me from beneath her fan; the two girls glanced at me furtively, and then their eyes fell to the lowest flounces of their frocks. Miss Grogram turned her spectacles right upon me, and I fancied that she nodded her head at me as a sort of answer to Miss Macmanus. The five pupils opened their mouths and eyes wider; but she of the broad back was nothing abashed. It would have been nothing to her had there been a dozen gentlemen in the room. "We just found a pair of black—." The whole truth was told in the plainest possible language. "Oh, Aunt Sally!" "Aunt Sally, how can you?" "Hold your tongue, Aunt Sally!" "And then Miss Grogram just cut them up with her scissors," continued Aunt Sally, not a whit abashed, "and gave us each a bit, only she took more than half for herself." It was clear to me that there had been some quarrel, some delicious quarrel, between Aunt Sally and Miss Grogram. Through the whole adventure I had rather respected Aunt Sally. "She took more than half for herself," continued Aunt Sally. "She kept all the—" "Jemima," said the elder Miss Macmanus, interrupting the speaker and addressing her sister, "it is time, I think, for the young ladies to retire. Will you be kind enough to see them to their rooms?" The five pupils thereupon rose from their seats—and courtesied. They then left the room in file, the younger Miss Macmanus showing them the way. "But we haven't done any harm, have we?" asked Mrs. Jones, with some tremulousness in her voice. "Well, I don't know," said Miss Macmanus. "What I'm thinking of now is this;—to whom, I wonder, did the garments properly belong? Who had been the owner and wearer of them?" "Why, General Chasse of course," said Miss Grogram. "They were the general's," repeated the two young ladies; blushing, however, as they alluded to the subject. "Well, we thought they were the general's, certainly; and a very excellent article they were," said Mrs. Jones. "Perhaps they were the butler's?" said Aunt Sally. I certainly had not given her credit for so much sarcasm. "Butler's!" exclaimed Miss Grogram, with a toss of her head. "Oh, Aunt Sally, Aunt Sally! how can you?" shrieked the two young ladies. "Oh laws!" ejaculated Mrs. Jones. "I don't think that they could have belonged to the butler," said Miss Macmanus, with much authority, "seeing that domestics in this country are never clad in garments of that description; so far my own observation enables me to speak with certainty. But it is equally sure that they were never the property of the general lately in command at Antwerp. Generals, when they are in full dress, wear ornamental lace upon their—their regimentals; and when—" So much she said, and something more, which it may be unnecessary that I should repeat; but such were her eloquence and logic that no doubt would have been left on the mind of any impartial hearer. If an argumentative speaker ever proved anything, Miss Macmanus proved that General Chasse had never been the wearer of the article in question. "But I know very well they were his!" said Miss Grogram, who was not an impartial hearer. "Of course they were; whose else's should they be?" "I'm sure I hope they were his," said one of the young ladies, almost crying. "I wish I'd never taken it," said the other. "Dear, dear, dear!" said Mrs. Jones. "I'll give you my needle-case, Miss Grogram," said Aunt Sally. I had sat hitherto silent during the whole scene, meditating how best I might confound the red-nosed harpy. Now, I thought, was the time for me to strike in. "I really think, ladies, that there has been some mistake," said I. "There has been no mistake at all, sir!" said Miss Grogram. "Perhaps not," I answered, very mildly; "very likely not. But some affair of a similar nature was very much talked about in Antwerp yesterday." "Oh laws!" again ejaculated Mrs. Jones. "The affair I allude to has been talked about a good deal, certainly," I continued. "But perhaps it may be altogether a different circumstance." "And what may be the circumstance to which you allude?" asked Miss Macmanus, in the same authoritative tone. "I dare say it has nothing to do with these ladies," said I; "but an article of dress, of the nature they have described, was cut up in the Castle of Antwerp on the day before yesterday. It belonged to a gentleman who was visiting the place; and I was given to understand that he is determined to punish the people who have wronged him." "It can't be the same," said Miss Grogram; but I could see that she was trembling. "Oh laws! what will become of us?" said Mrs. Jones. "You can all prove that I didn't touch them, and that I warned her not," said Aunt Sally. In the mean time the two young ladies had almost fainted behind their fans. "But how had it come to pass," asked Miss Macmanus, "that the gentleman had—" "I know nothing more about it, cousin," said I; "only it does seem that there is an odd coincidence." Immediately after this I took my leave. I saw that I had avenged my friend, and spread dismay in the hearts of these who had injured him. I had learned in the course of the evening at what hotel the five ladies were staying; and in the course of the next morning I sauntered into the hall, and finding one of the porters alone, asked if they were still there. The man told me that they had started by the earliest diligence. "And," said he, "if you are a friend of theirs, perhaps you will take charge of these things, which they have left behind them?" So saying, he pointed to a table at the back of the hall, on which were lying the black bag, the black needle-case, the black pin cushion, and the black pen-wiper. There was also a heap of fragments of cloth which I well knew had been intended by Miss Grogram for the comfort of her feet and ancles. I declined the commission, however. "They were no special friends of mine," I said; and I left all the relics still lying on the little table in the back hall. "Upon the whole, I am satisfied!" said the Rev. Augustus Horne, when I told him the finale of the story. Zona Gale Zona Gale determined at an early age to be a writer. She graduated from the University of Wisconsin in 1895 and for six years was a newspaper reporter for the Evening Wisconsin and then the Milwaukee Journal, during which time she received her master’s degree in literature from Wisconsin (1899). In 1901 she moved to New York City and joined the staff of the Evening World. In 1903 Gale became a freelance writer and sold her first story to Success magazine. In 1905 she began publishing a series of local-colour stories set in Friendship Village, based on her hometown of Portage, Wisconsin. Her first novel, Romance Island, appeared in 1906, followed by several novels and story collections in the same setting. A prize from Delineator magazine in 1911 for an uncharacteristically realistic and unsentimental story enabled her to return to Portage to live, but it also marked the beginning of a slow growth in her writing toward maturity. Heart’s Kindred (1915) was a weak novel propagandizing against war; the suspicion aroused during World War I by her pacifism and her involvement in such organizations as the Women’s Trade Union League and the American Civic Association forced her to reassess the meaning of small-town life in the Midwest. A Daughter of the Morning (1917) dealt with working conditions of women, and Birth (1918) depicted an entirely different side of Portage, here called Burage. Miss Lulu Bett (1920) was a village comedy depicting a spinster’s attempts at self-assertion; her dramatized version opened on Broadway in 1920 and won the Pulitzer Prize for drama in 1921. In her subsequent works, which included novels, biography, poetry, and short stories, Gale displayed a new, impressionistic style and later a leaning toward mysticism. Notable were her novels Faint Perfume (1923) and Preface to Life (1926). Her last work, Magna, a novel, was published posthumously in 1939. She also wrote several plays, including Mister Pitt (1924), based on Birth. She was active in politics as an ardent supporter of many liberal causes of the day. She sat on the board of regents of the University of Wisconsin in 1923–29.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD