Chapter Four: Atiana's P.O.V.

4438 Words
"Where should we start?" Belle asked. I was having a hard time focusing on anything other than Max's intoxicating scent. Nyla had finally calmed down, but I could feel her hovering at the surface. She wanted to mark our mate, and she wanted to do it now. Thankfully, I was able to keep her at bay. Max stared at me the entire time we ate, and I wasn't sure what that meant. Does he know what we are to each other? "Uhm, well." I started, and then turned to look at Max. He smiled at me and I almost lost my train of thought. Again. "Have you been through any tests before?" I asked. Max shook his head. "No. We have a guy back at base who can tell what any creature is by looking at them, but he couldn't figure out what I was. Based off of my power we decided I must be a Fae." He told me. I thought for a minute. "What makes you think you aren't Fae now?" I asked. He shrugged. "A demon was sent to give me a message." He told me. I frowned. "A demon?" He nodded never taking his eyes from mine. "What kind of demon?" I asked. "A lower level. He didn't have much power." He told me. "So he went down easily then." I stated. Max gave me a curious look. Damn, I wish I knew what that meant. "You don't care that I killed a demon?" He asked. Okay, now I was even more confused. "Why would I care?" Does he not know who I am? I've killed more demons than I can count. Max furrowed his brow. "Because you're a Morningstar. You're demon royalty technically." He told me. So he knows I'm a Morningstar, but he must not know I'm the Soulless. "I guess you have a point." Was all I said. "What is it you can do Max?" Belle asked. I was glad she asked. Knowing the extend of his power would help. Max turned his attention to Belle before answering. "Mostly magic, but stronger than a Witch. I'm fast like a vampire, and strong." He shrugged. "I have a sense for the good or bad in people." "What do you mean?" I asked. He turned back to me, and smirked. "Well to start off with, I can tell that you're a good person." I could feel my face heat, and I tried to stop it. "But you have a darkness in you." He said as he stared into my eyes. "Guess you probably aren't surprised huh?" Robby said with a laugh. "Huh?" I asked. I watched Belle glare at her mate, and he remainded oblivious. "Max here isn't a big fan of you Morningstar's." He said teasingly. Max continued to stare at me, but I couldn't read his expression. I looked him in the eyes after Robby finished talking. "Oh." Was all I could manage. Guess I shouldn't be surprised that my mate already hated me. He must not know what we are to each other, or he would of already rejected me. Nyla whined in my head at the thought of Max rejecting us. Sorry Nyla, but you might as well prepare now. I said it nonchalantly even though I felt like I was going to throw up. The moment I looked into Max's honey eyes I felt a flood of emotions. Things I had never expierenced before, and I wasn't sure how to deal with it. The emotions didn't stop, and it was making me extremely uncomfortable. "Don't worry Tia. I told Max here just how nice you really are." Belle said. I raised a brow at her. "Nice?" I asked. Belle only nodded in response. I knew that she could tell Max and I are mates. She kept staring at me, and it was only adding to my discomfort. "Well I think I just said that I thought you were nice." Max said with another heart stopping smile. "Yeah and that she has a darkness inside her." Robby snorted. Belle slapped him upside his head earning a loud "Ow" from him. The couple bickered, but I don't think either Max or I heard a word. We just stared into each other's eyes. Max looked me up and down, and bit his bottom lip. I felt my face heat up again as I stared at his mouth. When he let go of his lip and smirked, I met his eyes once again. They were such a light shade of brown. I'd never seen anything so hypnotizing. Max raked his eyes along my body slowly. I felt everything inside of me heat up under his stare. When he me my eyes again he gave me a wink. Nyla howled in my head at the attention our mate was giving us. "Are you two listening to us?" Belle asked shaking me out of my thoughts. Shaking my head I looked over Max's shoulder at her. "Huh?" I asked. Belle fought down a giggle as she rolled her eyes at me. "Robby and I have something to do. So we'll see you guys later, kay?" She said. I frowned. "What do you have to do?" I asked. She got up, and practically dragged her mate along with her. "Mate stuff." She said. "See ya guys later." She called as they walked out of the doors. "Mate stuff." I grumbled with a huff. "Looks like it's just you and me." Max said smiling at me. I stood up, and started cleaning up the mess. Grabbing our plates I went to the small trash can under the sink. I bent over to throw everything away when I felt Max standing behind me. "Let me help you." He said. I shot straight up, and turned around. Max was much closer than I thought he was. His scent surrounded me, and I thought I was going to drown in it. "I, uh, that's, uhm, okay." I stumbled out. Max chuckled at me, and the sound instantly relaxed me. "Where can I put these?" He asked holding up the chip bags. "Uh through there." I said point at the door that lead to the pantry. Max followed my direction, and I let out a breath when he was out of sight. I was having a hard time getting a grip on myself. Yesterday I was concerned about never feeling anything, and today I'm wishing I didn't feel anything. Shaking my head trying to clear my thoughts I decided to make some coffee. I often drank coffee all day long. Mom always said it was part of the job. Nothing calmed your nerves, and cleared your head like a hot cup of coffee. I walked over to the expresso machine, and made myself a large cup of strong black coffee. "Is that coffee I smell?" Max asked as he walked over to me. "Whoa, this thing is so cool. Can you show me how to use it?" He asked as he looked down at me. I took a long drink of my coffee before answering. "Yeah. This here is how you get expresso. It's usually always full so you don't have to worry about putting anything in it. I'll probably fill it before anyone else even notices its out. This here is for coffee. Do you like sweet coffee?" I asked him. "No. I like my coffee black, and strong." He told me. "Then I guess these two will be the only ones you'll need." I told him as I turned around, and let him look over the machine. "Do you think putting a shot of expresso with black coffee would taste like s**t?" He asked without looking at me. I looked down at the cup I was sipping from, and back up at him. "You can try mine if you want to, and see for yourself." I offered. Max turned around, and gave me a curious look. "You drink black coffee?" He asked it like he didn't believe me. I held my cup out to him. He looked in it before taking it from me. When he wrapped his large hand around the cup he grazed my fingers with his, and the sparks shot up my arm. I pulled my hand away quickly. Max took a long drink of my coffee and I frowned. "Damn that's good." He said as he handed my cup back to me. I looked down at my now half empty cup, and back up at Max. "You can make me another cup while you're at it." I said as I handed my cup back to him. Max laughed. "You're cute when you're mad." He told me. I felt the heat reach my face again, and I looked away from him. "What does pink mean?" He asked. I looked back at him. "What?" I asked. "And blue?" He asked. "What are you talking about?" I asked. Has my mate lost his mind? "Your eyes." He told me like I should already know. "My eyes?" I asked. "Yeah. They change color. Seems like according to your mood, so I was just wondering what pink and blue meant. They turn a weird orange color when you get a little embarrassed. Or at least that's how it seems." He told me. I just stared at him like he was insane. He handed me my cup of coffee, and then met my eyes. "What?" He asked as he furrowed his brow. "My eyes are black." I stated. Max took a long drink of his own coffee. "Yeah when you're feeling normal. But they've been changing colors since I met you." He said with a small laugh. Realization hit me. Ever since he met me. What the hell did my mate do to me? I walked over to small half bath that was off the kitchen. Flipping the light on I looked in the mirror, but my eyes just looked black. Max followed me, and watched as I inspected myself in the mirror. I looked at him, and he held my gaze through the mirror. I watched out of the corner of my eye that my eyes swirled pink. Shocked I looked at my reflection, and the pink was quickly changed to a white color. "Holy shit." I whispered. Did I just feel shocked? I couldn't tell what freaked me out more, my eyes changing colors or the fact that I was feeling freaked out. "What, didn't believe me?" Max teased. I shook my head. "This is...new." I replied. Max frowned. "New? You mean your eyes never used to change color?" He asked. I shook my head. "No." Turning the bathroom light off Max stepped back so I could step out. "Is it normal for you to get new powers?" He asked. I walked out of the kitchen to my office with Max on my heels. "No." I answered. "You don't seem too concerned." He said as we walked into my office. I only shrugged in response. What was I supposed to say? I knew exactly why there was a change in my powers. Because I met my mate. Aureaila always said that things would be different once I met my mate. Boy was she right. Max let out a small laugh that had my eyes snapping up to meet his. "You are something else." I frowned. "If my eyes started changing colors according to my mood randomly one day, I think I'd be a litte freaked out. You don't seem bothered in the slightest." Max seemed to study me while he spoke. Again, I just shrugged. I was used to not showing emotion since I never really had any. This was completely different. I was low key freaking out in my head, so to hear that I seem to be taking this well was a little bit of a shock to me. In all honesty, I just wasn't sure what the hell to do or how to handle all of this. A really big part of me, hell most of me, just wanted to jump on Max and mark him now. Nyla howled in my head loving the idea. The more rational side of me, that was thankfully in control, knew that would be a bad idea. Max already doesn't like the Morningstar's, which makes me sad, I'm sure when he finds out that I'm the Soulless he won't want anything to do with me. One thing I was sure of, Max has no idea I'm his mate. I wonder if he feels anything for me. "What do you think pink means?" He asked interrupting my thoughts. I frowned. "I don't know." I was being honest. I don't even know how I feel. "Well they turn pink a lot." He told me. "Maybe it's your normal color?" He offered. I waved him off. "I doubt that." Pink be my normal eye color? That doesn't fit at all. "You're right. I think that black is your normal." Max said smiling. "I like it. It's cool. They're like a soft black." He said as he looked deep into my eyes. I was memorized by him. "What are you feeling right now?" He asked softly. I just stared at him. What am I feeling? I've never felt this way before. How do I put it into words? "I... don't know." I answered honestly. "Maybe pink means happy?" He suggested. "Are you feeling happy?" "I-I don't know." I stuttered. Max just stared at me smiling for a few seconds before he shrugged. "Guess we'll figure it out eventually." I was thankful he was dropping it for now. Blowing out a low breath I turned around to look out the window. Training was still going on, but I no longer could see the twins. Great, I'm sure they are out getting into trouble. Hopefully Ahkari can keep her twin under control. I turned back to Max. "I think we should start with you showing me what you can do." I told him. Max gave a small chuckle, and took a step closer to me. He's only a few inches away. Chocolate mint swirled around me, and I almost groaned. I looked up into his honey colored eyes. "I'd love to show you what I can do Atiana." The way he said it had a weird kind of heat flowing through my body, and settling in my lower abdomen. "Purple." He whispered. Before I could register what that color could possibly mean Max broke our eye contact, and looked outside. "Should we go outside?" He asked as he watched the new recruits train. I cleared my throat. "Yeah that sounds fine." Only a few minutes later we were outside by my home. I didn't want to interrupt the training that was going on. The newbes have been training very hard, and I was not going to ruin that. Max and I were by the treeline behind my home. We stood about 20 feet apart as we both stared at each other. "Ready?" I asked. Max shifted on his feet and looked a bit uncomfortable. "What's wrong Max?" I called out. At the mention of his name his head snapped up, and I swear I could see his honey eyes turn a gold color. Before I could get a good enough look, he closed his eyes and shook his head. When he opened his eyes again they were back to normal. Well that was weird, right? "I don't want to hurt you." He said. A warm fuzzy feeling filled me, and I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face. "You won't hurt me. And if you do, I'll heal. I have to know what you can do to figure out what you are." I tried to reasure him. It didn't seem to work since he just shifted on his feet. "Is it because I'm a girl?" I asked. "Girl? No, Atiana you are all woman." He said as he raked his eyes along my body. I felt my face heat, and tried to shake it from my face. "I'm not opposed to hitting women when they're evil. But you haven't done anything to me, and I don't really want to hurt you whether you can come back or not." He told me. I put my arms down to my sides, and huffed. So he just needs to be attacked then. I can do that. "Maybe we should go get Robby I can kick his ass." He said as he turned around to head to Belle's cottage. With my vampire speed I ran up to him. I grabbed his left shoulder, and and forearm. Before he could react I threw him into a tree. Max let out a loud "umph" as his back hit the tree. He fell to the ground and as soon as the breath came back into his lungs he looked up and glared at me. "What the f**k Atiana?" He asked angry. I shrugged. "You said you didn't have a reason to fight me." I replied nonchalantly. Max got up, and took a few step towards me. "So you attack me?" He asked incredulous. I had to admit he was super cute when he's all riled up. I shrugged again, and Max shook his head at me. "You don't know what your asking for Atiana." He told me. "That's the point." I teased. Wait, I know how to tease? "I could seriously hurt you. Do you even know how to fight?" He accused. I looked up at him, and raised an eyebrow. "You do know that I'm a Tribrid right?" "Yeah but-" "And that I was part of the BOC before I took over as head of the school?" I asked interrupting him. "You were part of the BOC?" He asked. I crossed my arms, and gave him a questioning look. "I'm head of the program now. Did you think they gave me that just because of my name?" "Uh, well, yeah." He said. "Well that's stupid. How am I supposed to assign missions if I know nothing about what it's like?" I was honestly a little insulted. "Look I didn't know okay. I just thought things come so easy for Morningstar's." He told me. My eyebrows shot up in surprise. "You don't know much I see." I said. Max frowned hard at me. "Do you have any idea what it's like to struggle? Or work hard? Or feel pain? You have no idea how easy you have it." He was getting angier with me. Again, I could see his eyes start to give off a golden glow. "Yes, yes, no, and maybe I do have it easier compared to other people." I said honestly. "Afterall, most of the students here don't have parents, at least I have that. But it's ignorant to assume that someone isn't as strong as you because they don't go through the same life expierences. I've seen a lot of things while I was out in the field. I've been put in a lot of hard situations that required hard decisions to be made. If someone attacks you, attack back. You never know what someone is capable of." I ranted. I'd never ranted before. I'm pretty sure that's the most I have ever said at one time, in my entire life. Max sighed. "Atiana you're right. I'm sorry. I shouldn't assume you have it easy just because of what you are." The way he said that had me thinking. "Is it always easy for you?" I asked. "Huh?" He asked as he furrowed his brow. "Whenever you fight anyone. Is it easy for you? Has anyone ever been a challenge?" I asked. Max thought for a moment before realization flashed across his features. "No. The only person that has been able to beat me in a fight was Bruce, but he hasn't been able to since I hit puberty." He told me. "So you're strong. Let's see if you're stronger than me." I said, and then I punched him hard in his gut sending him flying a few feet back. Max groaned as he held his gut. It didn't take him long to get back to his feet. He looked at me, and smiled before rushing at me. Max moved so fast I could barley see him. He's faster than any vampire I knew, including myself. I was flipped off of my feet, and hit the ground with a thud. Laying on my back I could see Max as a blur coming back. Before he could land another blow I got up quickly. I wasn't quick enough though. Max grabbed me from behind in a bear hug. The sparks that shot through my body distracted me. Max held me tight, and I couldn't move my arms. I started thrashing my legs forcing Max to stagger back. Throwing my head back it connected with his nose. Max cursed under his breath as he let me go. I wasted no time turning and throwing punches. Much to my surprise, Max was able to keep up with me, and block all of them. I tried to kick him, but he caught my leg before it could connect with him. He smirked at me as he pulled my leg up. Little did he know, I was a helluva fighter. When he lifted me off the ground I wrapped my free leg around his shoulders. My movements shocked Max making him release my other leg. I was not sitting on his shoulders. Max grabbed onto my thighs, and tired to pull me around him. Before he could, I leaned back causing him to lose his balance and stumble. Squeezing my thighs together to grip his neck I pulled down with all of my strength. When my hands hit the ground I used my legs to send Max flying behind us. I got up, and rushed into the forest after him. As soon as I reached the treeline, black shadows started coming out. I paused, and looked into the forest, but all I could see was darkness. The sun is shining bright in the June summer sky, so how was it so dark. I couldn't see anything. "Max?" I called out. No answer. Without thinking I rushed into the darkness. It wasn't like me to make rash decisions, yet here I was rushing into some scary darkness. Let's face it, I'd do anything to save someone in danger. I wasn't even sure if there was any danger, but I was not taking any chances, especially with my mate. Running into the forest I couldn't see anything around me. "Max?" I called out, but again no answer. I continued to walk around, and the darkness seemed to close me in. I'd never seen anything like this. I stopped walking so that I could inspect the shadows around me. Reaching my hand out slowly I waited to see what it would do. The shadows slowly wrapped itself around my hand, and up to my elbow. It didn't hurt, in fact, it seemed like it wanted me to touch it. Almost like it found me familiar. This isn't my darkness, mine does come in the form of shadows, but not like this. Mine are sneaky, they stay in the shadows, and attack when I give the signal. The shadow attached to me started tugged on my arm. I think it's trying to take us somewhere. Nyla said. Should we follow? I asked. Yes. She replied immediately. I knew she was worried about our mate. I lifted my arm, and followed the tugging where it directed me. After walking for a few short minutes I could finally see Max. He was sitting in the middle of the shadows with his legs crossed and his eyes closed. I ran up to him, and fell to my knees. Grabbing his shoulders I gave him a small shake. "Max!" I yelled when he wasn't responding. Max's eyes shot open, and I let out a small gasp. His eyes were completely gold, and glowing so brightly it was lighting up the darkness around us. The shadows under me swirled, and latched onto my legs holding me in place. The one that was on my arm slithered up to wrap around my neck. It didn't squeeze me, and I didn't feel threathened, but I wasn't sure what the hell was going on. Max's golden glowing eyes never left mine. I wasn't scared, nor did I feel threatened. What I did feel, was intrigued. Max stood up, and walked over to my kneeling form. The shadows that latched onto my legs refused to let me up. My mate walked up to me so he was only inches away. I looked up at him as he stared down at me. He put his hand on the top of my head, and slowly trailed it down my face to grab my jaw. Sparks erupted across my skin at his touch. He ran his thumb across my bottom lip, and I felt like I was in a trance. "Mine." He growled out. He just stared down at me while he kept his thumb on my lip. Pulling my bottom lip down he released it letting it flop back up. Heat was pooling at my core. What the f**k is happening? "Max.." I whispered out. Max seemed to look me over with a pleased smile on his face. He got down on his knees in front of me, and grabbed my face with both hands. "It will all make sense soon." He told me. I gave him a confused look, but he just smiled back at me. "What is going on Max?" I asked. He stared at me, but didn't say anything. I wanted to question him again, but before I could he pressed his lips to mine in a soft kiss. This was only the second kiss I had ever experienced, but it was nothing like my first one. Sparks shot through my entire body. I swear I could see fireworks. All too soon Max pulled away. "Mine." He whispered. Suddenly Max fell completely to the ground. The shadows retracted, leaving my body and the forest completely. I watched as they all slitered back into Max. Taking a moment to look around I could see the sun peaking through the trees. Looking down at Max, I grabbed his head, and put it in my lap. I wasn't really sure what to do, or what had even happened. All I knew was that I definitely had never seen anything like Max. "What are you?" I whispered.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD