Chapter Twelve: The Unspoken Truth

1012 Words
As Anna stood alone in the dimly lit hallway, the echo of Xavier's departing footsteps reverberated in the silence. Her mind was a tumultuous whirlwind of emotions, a storm of uncertainty brewing within her. Alpha Xavier's doubts and suspicions hung heavy in the air, casting a shadow over their fragile relationship. She thought of how different he seemed since Della had departed the pack. She had believed that once Della was out of the way, her life of becoming Luna would be easier. She was carrying the heir, after all. Anna’s hand instinctively went to her swollen belly, a tender reminder of the life growing within her. Taking a deep breath to steady herself, Anna pushed herself away from the wall and returned to her quarters. The solitude of her room offered a temporary respite from the chaos of the pack, allowing her a moment of thinking to collect her thoughts. As she settled onto the edge of her bed, the evening events played out in her mind like a wild symphony. The confrontation with Martha, the intervention of Ethan, and Xavier's accusations all collided in a tangled mess of emotions. The memory of Xavier's clenched fist and aggressive demeanour lingered. Lost in her thoughts, Anna was jolted back to reality by a soft knock on her door. Startled, she rose from the bed and approached the entrance, uncertainty gnawing at her core. As she opened the door, she was met with the familiar gaze of Ethan, his expression sombre yet comforting. “Ethan, what are you doing here? Alpha will not be pleased if he finds you alone with me again,” she whispered nervously. "Anna, may I come in?" Ethan's voice was gentle. Nodding silently, Anna stepped aside to allow Ethan entry into her room. As he crossed the threshold, unspoken words hung heavy between them. Sitting on the edge of the bed, Ethan turned to face Anna, his eyes filled with concern and understanding. "I am worried about you. I saw the exchange between you and Xavier. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you,” he began, his tone laced with empathy. “You know, Della was Luna, and it is a big space to fill. I'm sure Alpha is just getting used to all this still.” Anna offered a weary smile, the exhaustion of the evening etched into the lines of her face. "It's been a challenging night. Xavier's doubts have only added to the turmoil," she confessed, her voice tinged with resignation.”I can't believe he would even question the baby like that. I would never look at another man.” Ethan nodded in understanding, his gaze unwavering as he sought to offer her some comfort. "I know Xavier's temper can be... unpredictable at times. But deep down, I believe he cares for you more than he lets on," he murmured, his words reassuring in uncertainty. The mention of Xavier's hidden emotions sparked a flicker of hope within Anna. Despite their tumultuous dynamic, she knew there was a depth to Xavier that few others had seen. "I want to believe that. I truly do," Anna admitted, her voice tinged with vulnerability. Ethan reached out a hand, resting it gently on Anna's shoulder in solidarity. "You're not alone in this, Anna. We may have our differences, but we all want what's best for the pack," he affirmed, his voice steady and reassuring. As she met Ethan's gaze, a sense of thankfulness welled up within Anna, a flicker of hope amidst the darkness that surrounded them. With a deep breath, Anna found the courage to voice the questions that lingered in the depths of her soul. "Ethan, do you think Xavier will ever come to trust me again? Can our relationship withstand the weight of his doubts?" she asked, her voice laced with uncertainty. Ethan offered her a reassuring smile, his eyes filled with unwavering confidence. "I believe that trust is a delicate balance, Anna. With time and patience, wounds can heal, and bonds can be strengthened. It won't be easy, but I have faith that Xavier will come to see the truth in due time," he replied, his words a beacon of hope in the darkness. With a grateful nod, Anna turned to Ethan, gratitude glowing. "Thank you, Ethan. Your words mean more to me than you know. I will do everything in my power to prove my loyalty to Xavier, no matter the challenges we may face," she vowed. “Tomorrow is a new day, and he will wake up a new man.” she smiled, remembering the herbs Sage had provided her. However, she was not about to let that information loose to anyone, not even Ethan. After their unexpected conversation, Ethan got up from the bed and glanced at Anna with a comforting smile. "Rest well, Anna. I'll watch for you," he said softly before going to the door. As he reached the threshold, he paused and turned back to her. "Remember, you're not alone in this. Reach out if you need anything," he added before nodding and quietly exiting the room. Anna sat there for a few moments, and then she decided to take a shower and get into her favourite PJs. Turning on the shower, she stripped off and stepped inside, allowing the warm water to fall down her body. The comforting sensation of the water enveloped her, washing away the tensions and doubts of the day. Closing her eyes, Anna let herself be carried away by the rhythmic sound of the cascading water, a moment of respite in the chaos of her thoughts. The steam filled the room, creating a sanctuary of tranquillity as she luxuriated in the embrace of the shower, feeling the weight of the day slipping off her shoulders. She could have stayed there for hours, but tiredness threatened to consume her, so she got out and wrapped a towel around her body. Glancing at her reflection in the mirror, she smiled, knowing that tomorrow would be the start of her dreams becoming reality.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD