2. Jasmine and Kevin

1835 Words
Jasmine was a spitting image of her mother, and she had grown into a clever, witty child who had a thirst for exploring everywhere and everything. She also had a thirst to learn about everything, old and new. Exactly how her mother was when she was a young girl. Jasmine's auburn hair grew long down her back, which she kept in two braids. It was a darker shade than Anna's and her eyes were a deeper blue. When Jasmine was younger, she would go out and explore as far as her little legs would take her. Sometimes Jasmine wound up lost, but her mother always seemed to know where to find her. Seemingly, Anna could sense when her daughter was upset or scared. As time went on and the years had passed, the sense got stronger. This worried Anna and Justin. Anna felt as though the doctor at the hospital was wrong. Evidently, she started to believe that she had passed the Ambopteryx chromosome to her daughter, and it was getting stronger the older Jasmine got. She feared that Tom and Allison's boy, Kevin, might have the same fate. ****************** One day, a week after Jasmine's fourteenth birthday, Anna received a call from the school, and Anna's and Justin's fears had come true. The gym teacher called and told her Jasmine had fallen from the top of the climbing ropes during gym class. The strange thing was that after Jasmine fell, the gym teacher told her that Jasmine had limped over to the bleachers after she had gotten hurt. After a few moments, after she sat down and rested, she got up and started running around with the other kids. Anna asked if there were any windows in the gym because she couldn't remember, and the gym teacher said yes, there were windows. Anna thanked him quickly and hung up the phone. She looked at Justin with a worried look on her face. "We have a situation,” she said, as she blew out a breath. Nervously, Justin looked at her and sighed. He had overheard the conversation with the gym teacher, and he, too, was now worried. "We are going to have to call Tom and Allison,” he said, as he blew out a breath. Reluctantly, Anna bit her lip and nodded. "Jasmine honey, can you come in here, please?" called Justin. That evening, Jasmine was in the living room playing a video game. They heard her pause the game, and she walked out into the dining room. "Yes, daddy?" she asked, confused as she looked at her parents. Justin looked down at her and smiled. He couldn't believe how fast she was growing up. "Did you get hurt at school today?" asked Anna. Jasmine looked at her parents in question for a moment and shook her head. "No, I didn't get hurt. My leg felt a little funny after I fell off the ropes. So, I sat down for a moment and the feeling went away," Jasmine explained, as she shrugged her shoulders. "What happened, did you lose your balance?" Asked Justin, concerned, and he lightly touched his daughter's shoulder. "I don't know, I felt a little dizzy and lost my grip I guess." "What happened after you fell?" Asked her mother curiously. Jasmine looked at her parents oddly. She wondered why they were acting so strangely. "I told you, I fell, I got up, my leg felt funny. I sat in the sunlight, all fixed," Jasmine said, as her voice rose a little in pitch. Anna sighed, and Jasmine looked at her mother, concerned. "What's wrong mom, I didn't get hurt. Besides, isn't the sunlight supposed to heal us? I am your biological daughter, right?" Jasmine asked seriously. Anna and Justin looked at their daughter in shock. "What! Do you think I am stupid?" Jasmine asked a little heatedly. "No, of course not! After all this time you knew?" asked Anna, still in shock. "Of course, it's not some big secret, what you and Uncle Tom did. That you guys have special abilities,” said Jasmine with a smile. Suddenly, the phone rang. "It's Aunt Allison,” said Jasmine, and she walked back to the living room. Justin stared at his daughter for a moment, and then he picked up the phone and saw the caller id. "How did she do that?" he asked in amazement, as he handed Anna the phone, and she looked at him and shrugged. Kevin Kevin, who had also recently turned fourteen a couple of days after Jasmine, took after both his mother and father. He had dark brown hair, with blonde highlights and he had his mother's green eyes. He was tall, with a muscular build. He was very smart in school and on the junior high football team. Evidently, Jasmine was his best friend and his family. They hung out together a lot, and even though they were both popular in school, they ignored it. They had a few close friends, but that was all they wanted. ******************* One afternoon, Kevin was at football practice. While he was walking toward the team, he didn't notice that one of the spickets from the sprinkler system hadn't depressed all the way into the ground and he tripped over it. He gnashed his shin on the bleachers and fell to the ground. Curiously, Kevin looked at his shin and saw the wound. He noticed that it was a pretty deep cut, but surprisingly, it didn't hurt. The sun's rays shined down on him and it made him feel amazing. He watched in awe as the wound healed instantly. He blinked a couple of times. He couldn't believe his eyes. Jasmine had told him that they were going to be just like their parents, abilities and all. However, he never believed her. His parents told him he was a normal kid, and he believed them. After that, Kevin wanted to go home, and quickly. He told the coach he wasn't feeling well and started to jog home, and before he could blink, he was standing on his front porch. Whoa! he thought as he shook his head in disbelief. "Mom, dad?" he called, as he walked through the front door. His grandparents had given the farm to his parents as a wedding gift, and his grandparents had moved to a small apartment in town and they loved it there. Allison and Tom were in the kitchen at the breakfast table. "You're home early, what's wrong?" asked Allison, as she looked up from her tablet. She was now a surveillance coordinator for the military. Kevin just called her a camera watcher, because that is all she did. She monitored the region for any non-human activity. Kevin never showed any interest in her work. He thought it was boring and meaningless. Kevin looked at his parents and laughed nervously. "Well, I tripped and gnashed my shin open," Kevin explained. "Are you okay?" Asked Allison, concerned as she glanced down at her son's shin. Noticeably, there was dried blood but no wound. Allison glanced a worried look at Tom. Tom glanced down at his son's shin and then back up at his son. "Are you sure you didn't just scrape your shin?" asked Tom, and Kevin looked at his father, dumbfounded. "Dad, I was going to need stitches, but…" Kevin trailed off as he thought back about what happened in the sun. He watched his wound heal in the sunlight. "But what?" asked Allison, pulling her son from his thoughts, and Kevin looked at his mother and smiled. "The sun healed it, and it felt amazing! That means I am just like you, dad!" exclaimed Kevin, and Tom swallowed hard. "No, the doctors told us you were a normal child. This can't be!" Tom exclaimed, half angry. Oddly, Kevin looked at his father, and he was frustrated. Kevin didn't say a word. Without another word, Kevin walked over to the sink, raised his hand, and looked at his parents. Before anyone could respond, Kevin put his hand in the garbage disposal, and turned it on. He felt the blades chew up his hand, but he didn't feel any pain. Tom immediately was by his son's side and he flipped the switch and turned the disposal off. "What are you doing? Have you completely lost your mind!" Tom yelled. Kevin pulled his chewed-up hand out of the disposal and walked to the window. Horrified, Allison turned her head from the gruesome sight. "Can a normal kid do this?" asked Kevin angrily, as he put his hand in the sunlight, and Allison turned her head back to her son. Dumbfounded, Tom and Allison watched as Kevin's hand instantly healed. Tom looked over his son's hand and there wasn't a flaw in sight. Allison sighed and hopelessly looked at Tom. "So Jassy was right! We are just like you and Aunt Anna!" said Kevin in amazement. "Wait, you knew?" exclaimed Tom, as he looked at his son. "Yeah dad, it's not like we weren't taught about D-day in the fifth grade. You and Aunt Anna made history," Kevin said excitedly, and grinned proudly at his parents. Tom couldn't help but feel his cheeks warm up from blushing, and Allison looked at her husband as she laughed. "Hey, your mom and Uncle Justin helped too!" noted Tom. Kevin nodded and smiled. "Well, I guess it's time to call Anna and Justin and have a family dinner,” said Allison, as she looked up at Tom. "Agreed,” he said, and smiled at his wife. Allison picked up the phone and dialed Anna's number. "Hi Allison, I was just about to call you,” answered Anna, and Allison noticed that she sounded freaked out. "Do you guys want to come to dinner at six?" asked Allison. "Sounds good actually, uh Jasmine knows, so we need a family meeting,” said Anna. "Yeah, we know. Both kids know." "Okay, see you at six." "See you then,” said Allison, and hung up the phone. ****************** That evening, they ordered pizza and explained everything to the kids. They explain what abilities they had and that they might develop these abilities. Anna and Tom also let them know that they were there for them every step of the way. Jasmine and Kevin didn't like the fact that their parents had hidden all of this from them and that they had to find out on their own. Nor did they like the fact that they were different from everyone else. All Jasmine and Kevin wanted was to be normal kids, like the kids at school, but unfortunately, that was not the case. Their parents decided they would give the kids some space and time to get used to the idea of having abilities and being different. They would teach them how to use them. However, the parents knew that they would have to be patient and let their kids come to them when they were ready to take that step.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD