Chapter Two

874 Words
Chapter Two A few hours and many drinks later, Eliza, Melissa and Brienne were still at the bar, cackling and giggling like schoolgirls, talking about boys, reminiscent of their old slumber party days. “Why has that guy two tables away been staring at you all night?” Melissa said in a conspiring whisper to Brienne. Eliza and Brienne turned to Melissa, both looking a bit surprised. “Which guy?” “That guy to your left – two tables away. He’s sitting with his hat-wearing friend. You can’t see him properly from where you’re facing, but I could see him all night. And he kept looking at you, Brienne.” Eliza’s head instinctively started turning toward the guy. “Eliza! Stop, you’re being obvious,” Brienne whispered bashfully. As she watched the other two fuss about, a smile broke out on Melissa’s face. “It’s fine, what’s the harm in looking? He’s been looking over here all night. Eliza, turn back and let Brienne look.” Brienne stretched back in her chair and spun her body to the left, pulling up her arms in an exaggerated sigh. She turned back swiftly. “I think we made eye contact,” she whispered anxiously. Melissa and Eliza burst into a fit of giggles. After looking at the other two for a few seconds, Brienne burst into laughter as well. Eliza realized that she was having a lot of fun. As the giggles died down, she returned to reality and began to realize how unique her friends were. Only they could create an exciting night out of a seemingly empty, uneventful night at the local pub. Eliza noticed that Brienne’s mood had changed drastically from exasperated to genuinely relaxed and joyful. She wasn’t sure whether the man from a few tables away had really been staring at Brienne, or whether Melissa had said so to soothe Brienne’s looming insecurities. Whatever the truth may have been, the story had significantly lifted Brienne’s spirits, which is all that mattered. And at the end of the day, that’s what friends were for; to know exactly what their friends needed before they realized it themselves. Smiling, Brienne looked at her phone. It was nearly eleven. “I think I’ve had all the excitement that an old party pooper like me can handle for one night,” she laughed. “Oh, that’s not true! Plenty more excitement is on its way!” Melissa responded enthusiastically. “I really should be getting home now. But you guys stay, enjoy your night, don’t let it be ruined – not by me, not by anybody!” “Oh all right then, come here you.” Eliza stretched out her arms for a hug. “Same time next week?” “You betcha. And if you’re late again, you’re buying the next round. This goes for all of us, by the way,” Melissa added, lifting her eyebrow indicatively at Eliza. After Brienne left, Melissa went to the bar to get a round. Eliza was halfway through writing a text to Andrew, when suddenly she heard Melissa sit back down and utter what sounded like a high-pitched squeal. “He talked to me,” she half-shrieked, half-whispered. “Who?” “Who do you think? The hot guy!” “Oh!” “He said he’s coming over!” Eliza turned to the bar subtly, attempting to decipher what was going on. “What exactly did he say to you?” “He said he thought I looked ‘stunning’. Yep, he actually used that word, and then he said he’s coming over and he’s going to get ‘me and my lovely friend’ a drink!” Eliza nodded enthusiastically and voiced her approval, but deep down she couldn’t help but feel mildly uncomfortable. If Brienne hadn’t left, it would’ve been a bit less awkward, but at this point she was already preparing to be the third wheel. This wouldn’t be the first time that she’d gotten a drink from a guy purely out of being associated with Melissa. Even though it stung a little to witness guys flirting with her friend, Eliza always put on a brave face. After all, Eliza was the one with the boyfriend, and she would do everything to make her friend’s dating life a little less tragic. After all, it wasn’t Melissa’s fault that their town was so small. “All the good ones are taken, and if not, they’re my exes!” Melissa had complained on numerous occasions. She made a good point. The man was walking over, two drinks in hand. Eliza couldn’t help but stare; this man was gorgeous, almost too perfect. And he seemed to be neither taken nor an ex of Melissa’s. Eliza pushed away the twinge of envy and discovered genuine happiness for her friend lurking beyond the surface. This might actually be something! “Hi, nice to see you again,” he said to Melissa, his words formal but his voice bordering on cheeky. He turned to Eliza. “Your friend has told me that you come here every week, is that true?” Eliza blinked, slightly stunned. She realized that a moment had passed and she hadn’t said anything, so she forced her voice into action. “Uh, yeah, it’s just a thing we do. We decided that it helps to set a time and a place for our catch-ups. Plus they have good beer here.” The man smiled dreamily and chuckled. Eliza blushed. “I’m Theo. It’s very nice to meet you.” He smiled and placed one drink in front of Eliza, and the other in front of Melissa. Melissa was beaming from ear to ear. “Thanks!” “It’s my pleasure,” said Theo, occupying Brienne’s vacant seat.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD