Chapter 1: The New World, Year 2395

2351 Words
Chapter 1: The New World, Year 2395 "What have you done with the machine, Ingrid?" I can hear vague and muffled voices and my head is aching. I tried to open my eyes but it automatically shut off after being hit by cold fragments of water. That's when I realized that I was inside an aquarium and I was able to breathe because of the oxygen mask that was plastered on my nose down. Astaroth put me inside his Time Capsule. How long was I hibernating? "I only played with the buttons!" Said a small voice that seems to come from a young child. I wanted to tilt my head and look at those who were talking, but it felt like I was paralyzed. I can't feel my muscles at all. I feel numb. "Hindi ba't sinabihan ka na ni Master Lucius na bawal tayong pumasok sa kuwartong ito?" Galit na saad ng isang babae. "Mapapagalitan tayo kay Master Lucius dahil sa iyo!" "Eh, I just wanted to accompany that pretty doll because she seems lonely!" The young girl replied. I opened my eyes again and tried to look at where the voices were coming from. That's when I heard a gasp. "Tiara, bumukas ang mata ng manika!" "What?! That's impossible!" Gulat naman na saad ni Tiara. I couldn't see them clearly at all because of the distortion caused by the water and glass that separated us, but I saw their figures. There were two of them and they were both women. With the little energy I had, I raised my hand and pressed my palm against the glass, para ipaalam sa kanila na ako ay gising na. Sumigaw ang dalawang babae at tumakbo paalis ng silid na tila nakakita ng multo. A few minutes later, I heard footsteps coming into the room. Palakas nang palakas, isang indikasyon na sila ay lumalapit sa akin at habang lumiliit ang distansya sa amin ay naririnig ko ang mga tinig nila ngunit hindi gaanong naiintindihan dahil mahina lamang. "Master Lucius, gumagalaw ang manika!" "Did anyone play with the buttons?" Tanong ng isang makisig na tinig. This must be the man whom they are calling Master Lucius. "Sorry, Master Lucius. Hindi ko na po uulitin." Saad ng batang babae. "So, you did break my number one house rule-to never enter this room and touch anything here. I will deal with your punishment later, Ingrid. For now, we will deal with her." "Master Lucius, buhay po ba ang nasa loob ng aquarium na iyan?" This time, the woman who seems to be of my age inquired. "That aquarium is a Time Capsule and I do not know who is that woman inside. All I know is that she is someone that my late ancestor has fallen in love with and there were circumstances which happened that led her to hibernate. She is from the Year 2020." Pagpapaliwanag nito. Doon na ako tuluyang naguluhan. Ano ang kaniyang ibig sabihin? Anong taon na ba ito? How many years was I hibernating? That damn Astaroth, I will make sure he pays for what he has done to me! With the last of my strength, I put my palm against the glass again, to indicate that I was wide awake already. "She's really awake." The man stated. "Help me take her out of the aquarium!" With that, I heard the screeching sound of metals. A few seconds later, I felt warm hands against my back, then it pulled me up and out of the machine that contained me. I was still at a haze, but I looked at the man who held me in his strong arms. The features of his face were well-defined and he had those familiar hazel-brown eyes that I hate, the eyes of Astaroth. He was attractive... but besides that, who the f**k is he? "Get her some clothes." He ordered. Agad namang kumilos ang dalawang mga babaeng kasama niya na tila gulat pa rin dahil ako ay gising na. Dahan-dahan niya akong nilapag sa malamig na sahig at saka niya hinubad ang kaniyang suot na long sleeves, pagkatapos ay binato niya ito sa akin upang pansaplot sa aking hubad na katawan. Hindi ko rin mapapansin na ako'y hubo't hubad nga pala kung hindi rin dahil sa kaniya. I felt exposed and embarrassed, kaya naman namula ang aking pisngi. For how long was I naked?! "I am Lucius Arturius Ghani, the servants here call me Master Lucius, you are?" "Primrose Nightingale." My voice was hoarse and shaky. "How long was I asleep?" "It says in the machine that you were frozen in time on the year 2020. We are currently at Year 2395, the 24th century. That means you have been sleeping for more than 3 centuries. 375 years, to be exact." Nagulat ako dahil sa aking narinig. "You're lying!" Siningkitan ko siya ng mata. "That cannot be possible! If it has been that long, I should look old then!" "I am not lying. I have no good reason to lie." Sagot naman niya sa akin. "And you do not look old because the cells in your body were frozen, that means time for you has stopped when you were already inside the Time Capsule which was invented by my ancestor, Astaroth." At the mention of his name, agad akong nagalit. "Tell me, where is that traitor?!" "He is already in heaven, if there is such a place. He died on the Year 2050. All of the people you knew before are already dead, that is to be precise." Pagkatapos niyang sabihin iyon ay muling bumalik sina Ingrid at Tiara na may dala-dalang mga damit. Inabot nila ito sa akin at kinuha ko naman iyon. Since they have already seen my body and everything, there was nothing to hide anymore, even from this man who seemed to not care that I was naked. Tiningnan ko nang maigi ang mga damit. The designs can really show that I am already from the future. Even the surroundings suggest that-I have observed that the ambience of the place seemed too high-tech and futuristic. It is only now that everything has sunk into my mind that I've been asleep for three centuries and with all the years passed, the world has definitely changed. "We are still on Earth, right?" "Yes." Sagot ni Lucius sa akin... "But there is already a colony that is currently being constructed on Mars." But I'll just call him Lag since his name was Lucius Arturius Ghani. I won't trust him easily because he is from a direct lineage of the man who put me here. Who knows if he will betray me too like what Astaroth did? When I was already fully dressed, dahan-dahan akong tumayo. "I am hungry." Iyon ang agad na sinabi ko dahil naramdaman ko ang pagkulo ng aking sikmura. "I haven't eaten anything for the past 375 years. Can I eat?" I saw Lag snicker at my request, "it seems that you are taking the fact that you already live in a different time lightly." "No. I just accepted the fact that there is no use pondering on that matter because time is irreversible and like you said, you have no reasons to lie that this is year 2395. So, I believe in you. I am just happy to find out that the world is still habitable, it was the cause that I was fighting for and it was the cause that put me here." "I'd like to correct you-it is only some parts of this world that is habitable." Lag debunked. Napatingin naman agad ako sa kaniya upang tanungin pa kung ano ang ibig niyang sabihin. "Whatever you know of the world when it was still 2020, forget all of it. The world before is different from the world today." He added as we walked. When we were finally outside the room, agad na bumungad sa akin ang hilera ng mga bintanang ilang metro ang haba. The door of the room I was locked into mechanically closed and the lights across the hallway automatically flickered on as if there was something that has detected our presence. Everything seems automated and advance. "Ano ang ibig mong sabihin na ilang parte na lang sa mundo ang puwedeng tirahan?" Tanong ko kay Lag. "I am confused." "I guess you need to be briefed with history as we walk towards the dining hall." Lag stated. "When it was 2050, World War III occurred. It was between America and China, for what has sparked this to happen, I do not know. But I believe it is due to personal and conflicting interests. A lot of nuclear bombing occurred and the fertile lands and seas were turned into wastelands as aftermaths of the war. This war actually has also reduced 20% of the human population." "And with the use of nuclear weapons, the environment was exposed to radiation. Therefore, making it inhabitable to live. And since it is a war between these powerhouse states... the effects must be on global scale." I deduced. "Indeed. A lot of countries were caught in the crossfire-or I must say all countries had to pick sides." Saad naman ni Lag. Tahimik naman na nakikinig sina Tiara at Ingrid sa aming usapan. "Next, the Arctic ice has totally molten and a lot of countries were submerged underwater. The Earth has already lost its protective umbrella that deflects heat rays of the sun. But that is not the only issue here, along with the melting of ice, deadly and centuries-old diseases that were trapped in the ices were released-wiping out 70% of the remaining human population. There were plagues that were revived like the Bubonic Plague. Mankind has reached the point of no return. By year 2100, the world was already beyond saving and man had to live with what's left of it." Nalungkot ako dahil sa aking narinig. This is the future that I was fighting to not happen. But still, it did. I guess this future is inevitable. I failed. Big time. "There was a revolution, chaos and anarchy. Until a government called Imperium was established. It united the rest of the remaining states who were lost with the promise of order and survival. The world fell into the authoritarian rule of Imperium but it restored peace. Under the umbrella of Imperium are the following remaining countries of the world-Uno, formerly China, Duo, formerly America, Tre, formerly Philippines, Qua, formerly United Kingdom, and Cin, formerly Russia." "So, Philippines is now called Tre." "Indeed. And this is what's left of Tre." Lag pulled out a device and a hologram just popped out of nowhere. Nanlaki naman ang aking mata dahil sa gulat. Lag started pushing buttons from the device that he held and images of a big city was portrayed by the lights. "We are currently here." Aniya sabay turo sa pulang bilog. "There are only three cities left in this country and these cities are surrounded by walls and the sky is also protected with a roof that can mimic the sky. These cities are also connected through a subway track." Tila nakalimutan ko na ang aking gutom dahil sa aking mga nalaman. "Why are the cities protected with high walls and why is it that we have a fake sky?" "To protect ourselves with the things from outside-diseases, viruses, notorious weather, and many more." Lag explained. "The world outside the walls of this city will kill you." "Have you seen the world outside the city?" "No. We are all forbidden to go outside the walls, unless authorized by Imperium, of course. Plus, there is no need to expose yourself to further danger. If you want to go to other cities of Tre, you can use the Subway Train. On the other hand, if you want to go to other countries, that is the time you will go outside the walls and fly with an aircraft. But the government is very strict about this. Only a select-few has the privilege to go to other countries." "Are you one of the select-few?" Tanong ko. Lag smirked. "I am. I am the Mayor of this city." Mayabang na saad niya. Tumango na lang ako. "So, let me just clarify, iisa na lang ba ang presidente ng lahat ng mga bansa?" "Indeed, it is the Head of Imperium, Wynzelle Astarria." Marami pa kaming mga bagay na pinag-usapan habang naglalakad. His house, or should I say 'mansion', is really big and I just found out that it is built on top of a big skyscraper. Now not to mention, I didn't have the chance to admire the view outside a while ago as I was too preoccupied with getting information on the current state of the world. The city was beautiful and glowing. It was already night time and you won't even know the sky is fake because it looked so true. The universe seems to be closer to us as well because of its effects. Ang napansin ko rin ay ang mga sasakyan na lumulutang-so, traffic isn't a problem anymore. Everything has really changed and I need to learn more of this new world. But despite of the manmade beauty and aesthetic that I see, I sighed. Saktong iyon ay nasa silid-kainan na kami at sinalubong ako ng maraming mga ulam sa mesa. I smiled and looked at Lag who gestured his hand for me to take whatever I want to my plate. "Before we eat, do you know what is the biggest threat to humanity, Lag?" "Lag?" Kumunot ang noo niya kasabay ng pag-ulit ng kaniyang palayaw. "Yup, from now on, I will call you Lag. You can call me Prim." I smiled. After all the things he has done to me upon waking up, I declared to myself that he is trust-worthy. "So, do you know what's the biggest threat to humanity?" Tugon ko. "The things you can acquire outside these walls, like deadly diseases." Aniya sabay turo sa matatayog na pader na aming natatanaw mula sa bintana ng silid-kainan. Umiling ako. "The biggest threat to humanity is humanity." I declared.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD