Chapter Two: Emilia's P.O.V.

3062 Words
~ About Four Years Later~ ********************************************* It's been almost four years since Mom met her mate. I guess it's been okay. Dave isn't mean to me really. Unless I'm in trouble for something. Mostly, he and Mom just ignore me. The Blue Water Pack is a beautiful area. It's large, and surrounded by a lush forest. There is a small school near the pack house that I attend. The pack house is the biggest building though. That's where we live. On the second floor. That's the Beta's level. The Alpha's is the floor above, and the Gamma's is floor below. There is also housing for other pack members here. It's always super busy. Pack life is fun though. I only made one friend, but that's all I need. Everyone else seems to avoid me. I don't understand why. A few months ago, when Mom announced to the pack that she's pregnant. I was so excited to be a big sister. Until the other kids at school started to tease me. They told me that finally we would have a real Beta heir. At first, I didn't get what they meant by that. I'm not Dave's daughter, and I knew I wouldn't be taking over the position, but they way they said it.. The other kids told me that day, that I am nothing. All I am is baggage that came with my mom. That I should feel lucky that Beta Dave didn't toss me aside the moment he met my mom. Apparently, it's not a good thing to have a kid before you meet your mate. I didn't know that. I wonder if that's why Mom ignores me now. Still, I tried. I tried to be a good daughter. I tried to keep up on my chores. I tried to be as happy for Mom as I can about the new baby. It's been a few months since everyone found out though, and there has been no change in my life. It's like Mom forgot I exist. If it weren't for the Omega's that are in charge of feeding the pack house, I probably would never eat. I'm ten years old now. I get myself up in the morning, and ready for school. I walk to school alone. I do all of my homework in my room. And I tuck myself in at night. I thought that if I tried to be more independent that Mom would be proud. All it did was make her ignore me more. Although, today Mom is letting me come to her ultrasound with her. "Mom, I'm having a little brother right?" I asked. "Well, Dave and I wanted to be surpirsed, so we don't know yet." Mom said. "Oh, okay." I said. I'm pretty sure I'm having a brother though. Mom and I walked in silence to the pack doctor. The clinic here isn't too big. Dave said that's because Werewolves heal fast. We walked into the building, and Dr. Stevens got Mom back right away. I waited next to Mom as she lay down on the bed. Gosh, that can't be comfortable. Dr. Stevens is an older man. He has dark hair that is graying at the sides. His deep brown eyes shine with kindness. Even his scruffy face is kind. "So, how are things going? You're getting closer to your due date." Dr. Stevens told Mom. "Doing really well. We're excited." Mom said. Dr. Stevens smiled up at me. "And what about you Emi? Are you excited to be a big sister?" He asked. I nodded enthusaically. Dr. Stevens is one of the only nice people here. Most of the other wolves ignore me. Even the adults make comments about me being a bastard child. It was during one of Mom's early appointments that I asked Dr. Stevens what a bastard child means. He told that it is a bad word to describe a child created out of wedlock. I then had to ask what wedlock meant. After asking a few more questions, along with the kids at school, I realized that everyone hates me because I have a dad that is not Dave. I've never even thought about my dad before. I never asked Mom about him. Never wondered about him. Lately, that's changed though. I've been wondering about him more every day. Dr. Stevens started up the machine. After a moment my little brother's heart beat filled the room. Tears sprung in Mom's eyes, and I smiled at her. Mom smiles so much more since we moved here. Real smiles. It makes me happy to see her so happy. Even if she ignores me. "Emi, move your head, your hair is blocking the monitor." Mom said as she pushed my head out of the way. Dr. Stevens eyes flickered to me. I gave him a small smile. There is pity in his eyes. An emotion I only ever see in a few people here, but I still hate. "Emi, do you see this right here?" Dr. Stevens asked. I nodded. "That is the baby's head. And this," he pointed to the other end, "are it's feet. We have an arm here." I watched as Dr. Stevens pointed out all of my little brothers limbs. Despite what everyone is saying about me since this baby, I'm still so excited to be a big sister. I'm gonna teach my little brother how to color, and we're going to play outside in the grass. I can't wait to have another friend. "Alright. Emi, why don't you come with me to grab the ultrasound pictures, while your mom get's herself cleaned up." Dr. Stevens suggested. I looked back to Mom. She waved her had dismissively without looking at me. I'm starting to wonder if Mom feels the same way as the rest of the pack members here. Am I just a bastard child to her? Is that why I couldn't make her better when it was just the two of us? Is that why she ignores me more now? "Here you go Em." Dr. Stevens said as he handed me the pictues. "Make sure you keep one for yourself." He told me with a wink. "Thank you Dr. Stevens." I said. "Of course my dear." He replied. "Dr. Stevens, is my mom having a boy? It's a boy right?" I asked. "Ugh, doesn't she know the Beta female wants to be surprised." One of the nurses said. My heart panged. "Sorry." I mumbled as I looked down. Dr. Stevens places a hand on my shoulder. I looked up to meet his kind eyes. He smiled down at me. "You will keep it a secret right?" He asked. I nodded enthusastically. "Yes. I can keep a secret." I said. "Dr. Stevens, don't you think that she's a bit young to be trusted wit-" The same nurse butted in. "I think that you should mind your own business. I'm the doctor here, not you." Dr. Stevens interrupted her. I smiled. No one ever stands up for me. Well, except Talia, but all that does is get her into more trouble. Plus, she isn't an adult. No adults stand up for me. The nurse stormed off angry. "Alright, do you see this teeny spot here." Dr. Stevens asked as he pointed to a spot on the picture. I nodded. "That is the.. uhm.. the.." He tripped over his words. I looked up at his red face, and giggled. "The male part. I know that they have different parts Dr. Stevens." I said. "Oh good." He said. "Yes, that is the male part. You are having a little brother. Just remember to keep it between us." He said. I beamed. "Thank you Dr. Stevens." I stared back at the picture for a moment before looking back at the doctor. "Dr. Stevens, do you think that I could do what you do when I grow up? I want to help pregnant mommys see their babies. I want to see their faces light up like Mom's does." I said. Dr. Stevens smiled down at me. "I think you can do anything your heart desires. You just have to work hard to get there." He said. I smiled at him. "Emilia, come on, let's go." Mom called. ********************************************* "Hey Mom, can I ask you something?" I asked. It's been a few days since Mom's last appointment. She's nearly ready to pop now. I can't wait for my little brother to get here. "What?" Mom asked. "Uhm, can you tell me about my father?" I asked. Dave's eyes snapped to mine from the couch. "No she cannot." He stated. "Why not?" I asked confused. "Because she is not talking about him." Dave said angrily. "But I just wanna know if I look like him.. What his name is.. Why he isn't.. around." I said softly. Dave jumped up from the couch, and stomped over to me. Panic surged through me, and I backed up into the wall. Dave stopped a foot in front of me. "Your mom isn't going to talk about that piece of s**t. You got it? Obviously he looks like you, since you look nothing like your mother. He isn't around because he couldn't stand to be around either of you." He seethed. I whimpered. "Dave." Mom scolded him. "Don't get mad honey. I know it's hard for you to hear." She said softer. "Hard for me to hear?" Dave asked incredulously. Then he scoffed, and pointed a finger at me. "Because this isn't a constant reminder!" He shouted. I looked from Dave's finger to Mom. Mom sighed. "What did you want me to do Dave? Leave her at that diner when we met?" She asked. My heart sunk. Mom isn't even standing up for me. Would she really have left me? "Maybe it isn't too late to do just that." Dave said. He grabbed a fistful of my hair, and I screamed. "Dave stop. We can't. What would people think of us?" Mom said. That's... all she cares about? "Mommy.." I whimpered. Dave tossed me to the corner of the room. I wiggled away from him to my mom. I need her comfort. "Emilia stop. Get a hold of yourself. He didn't even throw you that hard." Mom said sounding annoyed. I looked up at her as tears streamed from my eyes. "Do you even care?" I asked. Mom looked down at me. Then she looked to Dave, and back to me. When Mom looked back at me, her eyes held more anger than I've ever seen in her eyes. "No Emilia, I do not. If it were up to me I would have left you back at the hospital where I had you! All you have done is ruin my life from the moment I found out I was pregnant. My old pack threw me out when they found out. I had to work meaningless jobs, with s**t pay to take care of you. I never got to have the life I wanted because of you! Even now, since meeting my mate, you are still causing me problems! I wish I would have never had you." She said. I just stared up at her from the floor. Silent tears are flowing down my face. She... never wanted me? I'm so confused. Mom and I had so much fun together before she met Dave. Was I wrong about that? "Go to your room, and don't come out until school in the morning." Dave ordered. "You will not be fed dinner tonight either." He said. Feeling more defeated than ever, I trudged to my bedroom. No one cares about me. Not even Mommy. I spent all my life trying to be so good for her. Trying to be a good daughter. All for what? Everyone here hates me. They made my mom hate me. They treat me like I'm nothing. Maybe they are right. Maybe I am nothing. ********************************************* "Hey Emi!" Talia waved me over when I saw her. I smiled brightly, and ran to her. My only safe haven these last couple of weeks is Talia. She's my best friend. I love her. Talia is a beautiful gril with dark brown skin, and light brown eyes that stand out against her dark skin. She is the most beautiful girl in our grade. Although, she doesn't agree with me about that. Talia told me that her mother is from Nigeria. She said that her dad met her mom when they were young during something called Mate Week. Sadly, Talia's mom and dad died when she was just five. They were attacked by rouges. Now, Talia lives with her grandma in a small house on the outter part of the pack. I love Granny. She is so sweet to me, and she makes the best brownies. "Em, what happened to your face?" Talia asked me when I made it to her. I pulled my hair over that side of my face. Ever since that other night, Dave has been throwing me around more. I'm not sure why. Last night it was because I knocked over my glass of milk all over Mom on accident. I swear it was an accident, but it didn't matter to Dave. He threw me into a wall face first. Now I have a bruise on the side of my head. "It's nothing." I said. "Your hair hides it well, no one will notice." Talia said softly. I smiled at her. "Thanks." "Let's go in." My day has been going like any other. Everyone ignored me. I was happy about that. Until a warrior walked into our classroom to talk to the teacher. "Emilia, you need to go with Greg." The teacher told me. "Okay." I said. I packed up my stuff, and Greg walked me out of the building. This is the same warrior who grabbed me when Dave first met my mom. He's not much of a talker. "So, did my mom have the baby? Is that why you had to come get me?" I asked. "Yes." Greg replied. "Is it a boy?" I asked. Silence. "I'm right, right?" I asked. More silence. "Fine don't tell me." I grumbled. The rest of the walk to the clinic was silent. I didn't try to talk more, and Greg didn't either. Once we entered the building I was passed over to a few nurses. "I feel so bad for Beta Dave." I heard one nurse say. "I know. How is he going to go on?" Another said. What are they talking about? I tugged on the hand of the nurse I was passed off too. "What?" She gritted out. "Uhm, where is my mom? Can I go see her?" I asked. "Ugh, just wait for the doctor to come talk to you." She grumbled. "But-" "I said wait. Now shut up, and sit down." She said. I did as she said. It was three hours later that Dr. Stevens finally came out to see me. "Emi, what are you doing out here? Why aren't you with your little brother?" He asked. I looked up at the nurse. "She was brought here, and told to wait." She said. Dr. Stevens turned to her. "Why? She should be at home grieving." "Grieving?" I asked. I thought that that was something people did when someone died. Dr. Stevens turned back to me. "No one told you?" He asked. "Told me what?" I asked. "We were waiting for you doctor." The nurse said. Dr. Stevens walked over to me to grab my hand. He grabbed my back pack, and I walked with him to the back. The doctor stopped next to the station of nurses to glare at them. "I would think that being in this line of work you would have more compassion. Perhaps I should think about changing my staff." And with that he walked us away. I looked back to see the four nurses glaring at me. Why does everyone hate me so much? What did I do? Dr. Stevens lead me back to his office. I've only been back here one time. It was when Mom first found out she was pregnant. I sat in the corner while Dave and Mom talked with the doctor. I was lead to the brown leather couch on the wall. I sat down, and Dr. Stevens sat next to me. He looked me deep in my eyes, and an uneasy feeling took over in me. "Emilia.." Dr. Stevens started. Oh no.. He never uses my full name. Something bad must have happened. "Am I in trouble?" I asked. "No." He shook his head. "Is Mom finally leaving me here?" I asked. Dr. Stevens gave me a confused look. "Leaving you here?" He asked. I nodded. Dr. Stevens looked over my face, then he noticed the bruise. "Emi, how did you get this?" He asked. "Uhh.." I hesitated on answering. Just when I was about to come clean, the door to Dr. Steven's office burst open. Dave stood in the doorway glaring at me. I jumped at the menacing look he's giving me. Why is he so angry? Before I could ask, Dave grabbed my arm, and drug me out of the room. "Beta Dave, be gentle, she's a child." Dr. Stevens said as he followed us. "Don't tell me how to parent my children." Dave seethed. "Beta Dave-" "Mind your own f*****g buisness doctor." Dave seethed. Dr. Stevens shut his mouth, and stopped following us. Dave drug me all the way back to the pack house. People turned their heads to us, and whispered to each other. Dave didn't stop until we had made it home. He drug me through our floor of the house, and threw me into a room. This is supposed to be the baby's room. "Say hello to your brother, his name is Noah. Get to know him well. You'll be taking care of him when you aren't at school." Dave said. I looked into the crib to see the cutest little face. He has thick golden hair on top of his little head. His nose is so tiny, and looks just like mine. "Wow.." I breathed out as I looked at his little face. Then I looked back at Dave. "Where is Mom? Why isn't she here?" I asked. Dave's brown eyes darkened. "Your mother is dead."
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD