Chapter 2: Nadja's P.O.V.

2129 Words
!!! *** WARNING! CHAPTER CONTAINS DESCRIPTIONS THAT READERS MAY FIND DISTRIBUING. SUCH AS CHILD ABUSE, VIOLENCE, GORE, AND DEATH! READER DISCRECTION ADVISED! *** !!! *********************************** ~ Six Years Later ~ ****************************** "Thank you all for coming today to the 16th celebration of the life of Raibyn Netyoive, my dear departed sister." Grand Duke Haldir addressed the crowd. I watched as my uncle gave a grand speech in honor of my mother. They do this every year for her. A celebration of the Great Healer. Usually, I'm not allowed to go to these events. This year I was put in with the other servants catering for the party. As punishment. I really made Uncle angry when I asked for the day off today. I knew that I shouldn't have. I just.. wanted to celebrate my mother in my own way. Besides, Uncle usually locks me in my room, or has me clean the other side of the castle on this day. All my presence does is put a damper on the celebration. Considering I am the reason my mother is dead. Which is why I'm here as punishment. Uncle wanted me to serve our people while they all whispered about me. I say whisper, but let's face it, I can hear them all. "What is she doing here?" "How disgraceful." "I can't believe the Grand Duke let a Darkling in here." "She should be ashamed to be at this celebration." "Isn't she the reason that the Great Healer is dead in the first place?" "If she wouldn't have killed our Great Healer, all of those Elves wouldn't have died from disease the year after." "That girl is only a curse." I willed the tears to stay back as I walked around carrying a tray of finger foods. Everyone steered clear of me. Even when I tried to walk up to them, they only turned their backs and shuffled away. I didn't mean to kill my mother. If it had been up to me, I would have been the one to die. I was only a baby. I didn't understand then. "Nadja." I stiffened at the sound of my uncle's voice. I turned around and lowered my head. I bowed slightly as he and my aunt Idril approached me. "What do you think you are doing here girl?" Aunt Idril spat out. "I was told to serve the guests," I mumbled. Uncle scoffed. "You are not welcome in this part of the castle this day. You know that. You must have misheard Gildor," he said. Uncle Haldir knows that he is the one that told me to do this. I guess that his guests feel too uncomfortable to keep me around. So, I only nodded to him in response. "I apologize, your grace. Please forgive me." I said. "Just get yourself out of here. I will be having a talk with Gildor later." Uncle Haldir ordered. I bowed my head again before shuffling out of the room. I'm glad to be out of there. Even if it means getting beaten later. I made my way to the kitchen and set the tray down. Elanor rushed up to me, and sent another servant out with my tray. She pulled me to the sink, and I began doing dishes. "Didn't go well, I take it?" She said. I shook my head. "It's going to be alright Nadja. Today is a celebration." Elanor said cheerfully. "I didn't even know my mother. She died because of me. I don't deserve to celebrate her." I said meekly. Elanor grabbed my arms suddenly, and turned me to her. I looked at her, and she frowned at me. "You stop that right now. That is not true. It was not your fault. Your mother died giving you life Nadja. It was only a terrible accident. She would have wanted you to live a happy life. I would know. I was her personal hand maiden. You deserve to celebrate her just as much as everyone else," she said sternly. Tears filled my eyes and my bottom lip trembled. "Then why does everyone treat me the way that they do? I must be to blame at least a little bit," I said. Elanor shook her head. "They just needed someone to blame for their loss. I know the Grand Duke doesn't seem it, but he mourns for his sister. They were always very close. Between you and I, Great Healer Raibyn would be ashamed of her brother if she knew how he treats you." She said. I gave her a small smile. "I wanted to pray to her at her alter tonight. I'm not sure if I can." I told her. Elanor looked around, then back to me. "Well, it is your birthday today. You're 16th at that. Why don't you sneak away to do that? I will cover for you with Gildor and the Grand Duke." She said. My eyes went wide. "R-really?" I asked. Elanor nodded with a huge grin spread across her face. "Go on. I'm sure no one will even notice you are gone on this night," She said. I beamed and wrapped my arms around Elanor. "Thank you." I whispered to her. "Of course, my dear. Now go." She said, pushing me in the other direction. I ducked out of the kitchen and headed to my bedroom. Which is just a closet in the servants' quarters. All I have in there is a blanket and pillow on the floor. But I managed to make something that I wanted to leave for my mother. I snatched up the small figure from under my pillow and headed to the other side of the castle. There is a special altar in this part of the castle. It's dedicated to all the royal family members that have passed away. Everyone is allowed here, but I have only ever been once. I quietly entered the room to see all the candles lit. I walked to the altar that had a painting of my mother. I smiled and knelt down in front of it. "Hello mother. I brought you something." I spoke, and set the figure on the alter in front of her picture. "I made it myself from wax that I found around the castle. It's shaped like a little wolf. I think, anyway, I've never seen one before," I said. "I don't even know if you like wolves. I dream of them sometimes. Large ones with pretty green eyes that remind me of the grass." I sighed. "I'm sorry that I don't visit you more, mother. I wish I could. Gildor keeps me busy." I said. "But it's okay!" I rushed out. "Life isn't bad." I lied. "Today is my 16th birthday. 16 long years since you've been gone. I still don't have any magic though. Uncle Haldir seemed to be upset by it. I wish I was more like you. If I could heal like you could, maybe I would have a purpose here. The way I am now.." I trailed off. The truth is, the way I am now, I'm useless. I have no worth in this kingdom. Uncle tells me constantly how I'm more of a burden than anything. "I wish that I had some kind of magic. I'm not even good at fighting. I'm too weak. I'm not smart enough. I don't even know how to read or write. I try though, mother, I promise I do. I practice trying to use the elements every day. The most I can do is make a soft breeze blow by, or make a flame flicker. Nothing useful. I'm sorry that you have such a disappointment for a daughter." I rambled. Tears fell from my eyes as I looked down at my dirty dress. "I wish I could be with you. I've never even been outside these castle walls. Not further than stepping out to feed the animals anyway. I bet it's nice where you are. I bet the sky is always blue, and the sun is always shining." I said. "I hope you are happy wherever you are, mother." I closed my eyes and bowed to my mother. I wish that she could speak to me. I want to hear her voice so badly. Run.. I frowned. What was that? Did I imagine a voice? ..Nadja... run... Suddenly, someone grabbed the back of my hair. I yelped in pain as the person started to drag me from the room. I grabbed the hand that had my hair and looked up to see Gildor. "You've done it this time, Darkling," he spat. "I-I-I'm sorry.. I d-didn't mean to g-get you in t-trouble." I stuttered out. Gildor chuckled darkly. "Oh, it was not me who you got in trouble this time." ************************************** Gildor dragged me by my hair through the castle. I tried to get to my feet so I wasn't be dragged, but Gildor just kicked my feet out from under me. I had no choice but to bare the pain. When he finally made it to my Uncle's study, he stopped. Gildor knocked on the door, and a moment later they opened. I was dragged inside and tossed at my uncle's feet. I scrambled to my knees, and stayed bowed down in front of the Grand Duke. "F-f-forgive m-me your h-higness." I stuttered. "It is not my forgiveness you should be begging for you brat," Uncle Haldir said. I didn't dare say anything else or move. Which proved to be a mistake. I really never do anything right. Uncle Haldir grabbed a handful of my hair and yanked me to sit up straight on my knees. I groaned, but tried to keep it in. Uncle Haldir is fuming. What did I do? Was visiting my mother that bad? I should never have attempted it. "Please.. stop.. She is just.. a child.." My eyes went wide at the sound of that weak voice. Uncle Haldir smirked at me before letting me go harshly. I slowly turned my head to my left to see Elanor being held up by a guard. Her right eye is swollen shut, and there is blood dripping from her mouth. Elanor's hair is frizzled out and the bust of her dress is ripped. W-what did they do to her? "A child?" Uncle spat. "She is old enough to know better by this age. I was learning how to fight in battle when I was her age," he said. Uncle Haldir grabbed my arm and yanked me to my feet. Tears streamed down my cheeks as I stared at Elanor. Why did they do this to her? "Elanor, you are here because someone overheard a conversation you had with my niece, the Darkling," Uncle Haldir said in his formal tone. Conversation with me? What does he mean? Surly Elanor didn't say anything wrong. "You were heard saying that my sister, the Great Healer of our people, would be disappointed in me because of the way I treat this... abomination." He said as he looked me up and down. Oh no.. "No, that's not true! Elanor didn't say that! I did!" I rushed out. "It's true... I.. said that.." Elanor said weakly. I shook my head, and tried to go to her, but Uncle Haldir just held me back. "No-" I tried. "Your sister.. would never have.. wanted her daughter.. treated like this.." Elanor spat at the Grand Duke. The guard holding Elanor yanked her head back by her hair. He put a long dagger up to her neck, and I gasped. I tried to shake my uncle off, but it was no use. "You will pay for you treachery, Elanor. I hope you will think about your regrets in the afterlife." Uncle Haldir said to her. Fear consumed me as I stared at Elanor. She looked straight at me with a smile on her face. Tears streamed down my cheeks as I begged the Grand Duke to spare her life. "Do not worry child. It's going to be alr-" Elanor's words were interrupted when the guard slit her throat open. She made an awful gurggling sound, and her blood sprayed across the room, across my face. I watched in horror as her lifeless body fell to the hard marble floor. Uncle Haldir finally let me go, and I fell to my knees. I scrambled to Elanor and gathered her in my arms. I rocked her back and fourth as her blood coated my dress. "I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry." I sobbed over and over again. "I hope you remember this moment the next time you try to make friends, Nadja," Uncle Haldir said to me. This is all my fault. "Now," Uncle said. "Clean up this mess and get back to your chores."
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD