Part 4

2069 Words
Viviana ran her fingers through her hair, the cut ending just above her shoulders. She'd gotten it done yesterday and still she couldn't quiet adjust. Every once in a while, she thought she would feel her long locks brushing against her arm- and turn to see nothing there. It was a strange sensation. Sometimes she would be standing at the stove or over the bed and feel a pair of warm arms wrap around her waist... another cruel illusion. Viviana looked in the mirror- She couldn't believe how different a new hair style could make you look. She looked in, trying to get used to the blonde, tucking the short strands behind her ears. It was perfect. She was going to return to the city and this time everyone could be sure she wasn't some little mouse they could push around. Viviana's eyes wandered down to the scar below her shoulder- it was amazing how long it had been- Over a year since she'd been shot. Viviana closed her eyes and shook the image from her head, turning instead towards her bedroom. She'd enjoyed being here- healing, getting herself back together as she recuperated. But now it was time to get back. Viviana looked at the last bag on her bed and continued packing her things. She'd be on a plane back to the City that very afternoon and somehow, someway, she would find Matteo. She couldn't believe she had almost lost hope in him- Viviana walked over to her purse and pulled out the photo of her and Matteo. She looked so different, on that night she was so different. How was she supposed to imagine that she'd fall in love with him? Or that she'd be here, cast away like this. She brought the photo to her lips and then put it back in her purse. Matteo had sent her a message on her birthday- even if it was just the photo, she knew in her heart it was from him. He wanted her to know he loved her, he was telling her that he thought of her and more than anything that he had never stopped thinking of her. Viviana turned to her cell phone as it rang, taking long strides. "Hey Deb." Viviana said, answering the call. "Hey Viviana. I just wanted to check in. I can't find the email you sent me with your flight info." Debbie said. "Ah, that's okay. I'll send it in a second. Did you get any of my boxes yet?" Viviana asked. "Yes. I got two yesterday and about four today. I can't believe you'll be back tomorrow. I mean, I'm happy to have you, you know that but are you sure?" Debbie asked. Viviana was quiet as she pulled open a folder she'd received in the mail a few weeks back. She knew what it was. She had been ignoring it but she knew if she didn't take care of it soon, they would come looking for it personally. She had to leave Manhattan. She had to get back and find Matteo as soon as possible. Viviana closed her eyes, every time she even thought his name she could feel her heart turn over in her chest, a strange mix of pain and pleasure. "Yes. I know it sounds insane to you but I have to get back. I have to." Viviana said, reading the papers once again. "Viviana- I know this is hard but maybe you should just let go. All you ever wanted was to get out of that life and now you are." Debbie said, "He obviously hasn't changed his mind. I can't even get anywhere near them... aren't you scared?" Viviana was quiet. "I spent all of last year letting them intimidate me. I've dreamed of him every moment I sleep, I can't wake up without thinking I can feel his warmth. I can't let go. I almost lost hope... I did. But I refuse to stop believing in him. Something must have happened, he wouldn't just stop loving me." Viviana said. "but..." Debbie began. "No. I promised him I would trust and believe in him. I'm not stopping. I have to get to him, I have to make him see sense." She said. They were quiet for a moment. "I got the divorce papers." Viviana said at length. "I'm sorry." Debbie said. Matteo had certainly taken his time sending them- it was obvious this was a sore subject for him as well. "I won't sign." Viviana said stubbornly. "Well, then I guess there's no changing your mind." Debbie said. "No." Viviana said. "don't forget I'm not arriving at the airport directly in the City, it's the one in bloomsberg." "Yep, no worries." Debbie said. "I'm happy you'll be here." "Me too. Although I have no idea how I'll get to Matteo." Viviana said. "I'm not even sure where to start." "You've got me there. I'm completely stumped. But don't worry, we'll think of something." Debbie said. "Okay. Tomorrow then." Viviana said, feeling nervous. "Tomorrow." Debbie said. ----- Debbie couldn't believe her eyes. It had taken her several minutes to recognize Viviana. "Oh Wow." Debbie said as her friend approached her. The haircut really did something for her. She had a light ombre, her hair almost completely blonde except for the dark roots. The look really did suit her but there was more. She knew that although the hair really altered her look, it was the way she was dressed that really changed her. Debbie had always known Viviana to wear a very classic look, in everything. Her hair was long and dark and almost always worn in buns or loose perfect waves. Viviana had worn stilettos and dresses or skirts almost every day since they were 17. She was a princess but today, she met with a very different woman. Apart from Viviana's short blonde waves, which were messily hanging about her shoulders, there was the clothes. She was dressed in dark green skinny pants with short brown combat boots and a white long sleeve crop top. There was a mysterious, grungy look to the whole thing. You couldn't put two more different looks together. "I'm... wow." Debbie asked as Viviana smiled. "Well, what do you think?" Viviana said slipping on her sunglasses. "Do you think you would recognize me like this?" "No. I mean... your face is still you but cover up your eyes and you could walk right by them... they'd never know." Debbie said honestly. "Good. This is going to help me get into the circuit." Viviana said. "Are you going to try to get in?" Debbie asked. Viviana nodded. "yes but I'm not sure when." Viviana said as they got into Debbie's car. "You look very different, yes, but I think they might recognize you." Debbie said, biting her lip. "I think you'll find most people will see what they expect to see. " Viviana said. "I like your hair. It's a nice change." Debbie said. Viviana nodded. "Me too. It was shocking at first but now that i'm getting used to it... I think it's great." Viviana said, looking at herself in the mirror. "I only wish I could wear a nice dress, these clothes are comfortable but I don't feel like myself. I feel so sloppy." Debbie laughed. "Yes, it's weird to see you so dressed down." Viviana watched as the City came into view. It was strange- she felt like she hadn't been here in years. Her heart was literally pounding in her chest, knowing that she was one step closer to Matteo. He was just on the other side of the city. Debbie pulled into an underground parking basement and parked the car. "This garage is right under our apartment." Debbie said, opening the trunk to help Viviana with the bags. "Perfect. I'm going to need to go get a car tomorrow." Viviana said. "Not a prob. I'm so glad classes are over." Debbie said. "Will you be going back home now that you're done with grad school?" Viviana asked. "Yeah." Debbie said, making Viviana turn to look at her. "You're leaving?" She asked. Debbie nodded. "I was going to tell you later. Now that classes are done, I can't stay here indefinitely. I've been offered a good job back home. I wanted to find something here but... My father isn't so well." debbie said. Viviana felt ashamed. For the last two years, Debbie had been there for her, helped her, guided her, done everything for her. Viviana had been the center of the universe and she hadn't noticed that Debbie also had problems. She hadn't been such a good friend. Viviana reached out to hug her. "Thank you for everything you do for me. If there's anything you need... you can always come to me." Viviana said. Debbie smiled. "Don't be so dramatic, I'm not leaving tomorrow and besides, It wont be the last time we see each other." Debbie said. Then they both burst out laughing. Viviana moved towards the window, taking a peek out onto the city. It was so large- Viviana felt a warm breeze- summer. It was during a summer like this one, just two years ago that she had met Matteo. She stared out as it slowly became night and closed her eyes. This breeze was somewhere out there with him too, and she whispered his name wondering if he could hear it somehow. ------ Matteo stared out at the City. It was dark and hundreds of tiny lights twinkled in front of him. He took another sip of whiskey and continued to stare. This was another habit he'd gotten into. He'd sat around several nights just watching it get dark. "What are you staring at so much?" A soft voice from behind him said. Matteo took the arm that had wrapped itself around him and removed it. "Are you still here?" he asked, annoyed on the intrusion. Amy rolled her eyes and walked towards the sofa, slipping on her shoes. "Oh, I'm so sorry." She said sarcastically as she picked up her things. She and Matteo had been meeting sporadically over the last few months and it was always the same. She was always supposed to leave right after, in fact it was so ingrained in her mind that she was usually always gone before he asked her to. "Bye." She said as she entered the elevator. When she was out of sight she moaned. How long could she go on like this? The truth was she had been crazy about Matteo since she could remember and this situation was becoming too much for her. Amy was just another daughter of la famiglia, her father one of many faces that served the Peroni Family. She'd known Matteo all her life, watched him as a young man when he happily pursued the most beautiful woman. She and the other girls would watch him and fantasize about what it would be like to be one of those girls- the exotic and sexy woman he pursued. Amy had always promised herself that one day she would be one of those woman and would also get to be with Matteo. Then just as she realized that she was also very beautiful, she came along. She was 16 at that time, still a kid but it was obvious she was going to be outstanding. Amy cried the day he married Viviana Aliotta, especially since she had never seen his so smitten. They were quite the perfect couple. Then everything happened- like everyone else, she couldn't believe what had happened with Felipe Aliotta, it was no surprise that Matteo would cast out Viviana. After all, who would want the daughter of a traitor? Amy walked into her home, her father as usual asleep by the television and her brothers out. It was on a rainy night a few months back that she went looking for Matteo, holding a bottle of wine. He'd invited her into his apartment, she'd been waiting for him in the rain soaked. One thing had led to another... But she was never welcome to stay, he never held her afterwards, and he never spoke to her. Amy stared at herself in the mirror- long dark hair and dark cat like eyes. She wasn't anything like Viviana Aliotta and she she wondered if maybe, in someway, she reminded him of her.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD