Part 2

1722 Words
It was late afternoon when Debbie arrived the hospital in New Jersey. She'd hopped in her car the moment Viviana called her, weeping. "I'll be right there." Debbie said, grabbing her bag and running out of her apartment. Debbie drove towards the circuit, prepared to give Matteo a piece of her mind, prepared to demand an explanation but she never made it. When Debbie was just a few streets away from the over pass that led into the circuit, a series of black SUVs crossed and blocked the way, making her swerve and almost hit a stop sign. "What the hell?" Debbie said, jumping out of her car and running towards the first SUV. The door swung open and a man climbed out. Debbie was still, noting how big the man was. "Debbie Hertford?" the man said. Debbie looked at the man, feeling her voice leave her. She nodded. "This is for you. I have to inform you that you are no longer welcome in the circuit- We insist that moving forward, you refrain from contacting or attempting to contact any members of la famiglia." he said, handing Debbie an envelope. Debbie took it slowly. "But I have to..." She said, making the man take step closer to her. Debbie was still. "As long as you keep your distance, we will be able to keep ours." He said. Debbie nodded, suddenly frightened and moved back towards her car. She noted the men would not move. They were waiting for her to turn around and go in the opposite direction. Slowly, she reversed and began to drive away, noting in the rear view mirror as the black SUVs grew darker and darker in the distance. Now Debbie sat in the parking lot of the hospital, staring at the envelope, realizing that it was real. Matteo had cast out Viviana, just when Viviana had finally decided to accept her life and be happy with him. Her lips trembled. Was she to blame for this? She had been too hard on Matteo that day but she was upset. Now there was no way to fix things. Debbie opened the envelope, wondering what she would find. She pulled out some keys, for an apartment? She noted there was a number scribbled on the tag. Debbie unfolded a sheet of paper where a short note read: Debbie- I know I can trust you to look after her. I am sorry that I have to do this, but you were right. I know that you know deep inside this is the right thing. The number below is for you only- learn it and throw this away. Please do not ever give her this number, please do not ever call it unless absolutely necessary. -MP Debbie was still as she recited the number over and over again before stuffing the key in her pocket and hiding the envelope. He was serious then. He had really cast her out and the only thing Debbie could do as her friend was help her move on. ----- "Viviana." Debbie said softly as she entered the room to find her friend staring blankly towards the window. Viviana turned and her eyes were once again filled with tears as she stretched our her arms towards her. "Oh Debbie." She cried as they hugged, Debbie letting her a weep for a few minutes. "I am so sorry." Debbie said, sitting beside her friend. "I can't believe it. I just can't believe that Matteo would do this to me." Viviana cried bitterly. "I love him, I love him so much." "I know you do, sweetie. I know." Debbie said. Viviana tried for several minutes until she was able to regain her composure. "What's this?" Debbie said as Viviana handed her the papers. "My new banking information and an address. I'm supposed to live there." Viviana said. "Debbie, lend me your phone, maybe I can..." But Debbie shook her head. "No. It won't work. I already tried." Debbie said, making Viviana's eyes grow wide. "you mean?" Viviana said and Debbie nodded. "Exactly. I was asked to cease all communication and stay away from the circuit. All they gave me was this." She said, handing Viviana the key. "Oh my god." Viviana mumbled to herself. "Viviana, this address is in Manhattan." Debbie said. "I know." Viviana said. "Do you know how expensive that will be?" Debbie said, trying to do some quick math. Viviana shrugged. "The rent has been taken care of- I just need to sign a lease." Viviana said. "I called this morning." "What about your bank account? Have you checked on it?" Debbie said. "No. My old ones were closed, even my personal one. All I have is whatever is in there." Viviana said. Debbie picked up her phone and entered the details listed on the paper. "Here... log in. You need to know what you have to work with." Debbie said. Viviana was an emotional wreck and all she could do was try to help her pull herself together. Viviana sighed, taking the phone and entering the password as listed. "Oh my..." Viviana's eyes widened and her voice trailed off. "What?" Debbie asked. "Look." Viviana said, showing Debbie the ridiculous amount of money Matteo had settled on her. "Wow." Debbie said. It was enough to live in luxury for the rest of her life. "Do they always settle this much?" Debbie asked in shock. Viviana shrugged. "I think it depends on each person." Viviana's face softened. Matteo had made sure she would never need to worry about a single cent. "I can't believe this is happening." Viviana said at length. "It's okay. We are going to figure this out together." Debbie said, holding her friend's hand firmly. There was a knock at the door and a young doctor walked in. "Hi. I'm Dr. Martinez." she said, walking towards Viviana. Viviana put on a fake smile, trying not to show her saddness. "Viviana." She said, handing the things to Debbie. "It's good to meet you. I read your report this morning, I'm sorry to hear you got caught in the middle of a police chase but you are looking really good." The doctor said, checking the machines as she checked off her list. "How do you feel?" "I'm good. The scar itches but I feel good. I've been getting up on my own for a week now." Viviana said. "Let's take a look at that, shall we?" She asked, prompting Viviana to lower her hospital gown under her shoulders. "I see. It's healing quiet nicely. What I'll do is prescribe some pain killers- you might feel some slight discomfort over the next couple of weeks. How do you feel the movement in your arm?" She said. "Stiff, but I do feel like it's getting better everyday." Viviana said. The doctor nodded. "Well, I don't believe we'll need any physical therapy. As far as the scar goes, it was done quickly from what I see because of the nature of the injury. I'm afraid it will never completely disappear but I'll go ahead and recommend some ointment that will help diminish it's appearance. You'll be applying the medication listed on here everyday with a cotton swab, make sure to keep it covered. For the moment, the stitches will stay in for now." The doctor said, writing the notes. "Any other pain? Headaches? Dizziness? Fatigue?" Dr. Martinez asked. "No." Viviana said shaking her head. "Good. Okay- So I'm going tentatively schedule you out for Wednesday. I'll confirm tomorrow, after I get your bloodwork back but you should be all set." Dr. Martinez continued. "Do you have any questions for me?" "Yes, I don't have insurance." She said, making Dr. Martinez raise her brow. "Hmmm, I believe that your paid up but I'll have one of our social workers come in and check on that for you. I'll also set up an appointment for us in two weeks." Viviana watched as Dr. Martinez put her chart back on the bed and smiled as she walked out. ----- Debbie pulled open the large door for the apartment. It was heavy and metal, sliding sideways to reveal an amazing loft. "Wow." She said, stepping in. Viviana looked around. The entire place was decorated perfectly and the kitchen she noted fully stocked. "Matteo." she whispered, looking around, knowing he had been careful to the last silver spoon. He had ensured she would have everything she needed when she left the hospital. Traffic getting into Manhattan had been insane, meaning they had made it to the apartment quite late. Viviana walked over to the large window that overlooked the city- reminding her of the one in the apartment she shared with Matteo. "New York is amazing, isn't it?" Debbie said, coming to stand next to her. Viviana nodded. "I know it is. I'm looking directly at it and thinking how beautiful it is. So many people would love to be where I am but... I can't help but feel empty. Debbie," Viviana said, turning to look at her friend. "i shouldn't be here. I don't belong here. I belong with Matteo... why would he do this to me?" Debbie was quiet, watching the tears fill Viviana again. "I don't know what is going through his mind but Viviana, you need to be strong. Matteo made a choice and now this is where you are. You can't let yourself spiral out of control into depression." Debbie said. Viviana shook her head. "He wouldn't just toss me aside this way. If he did this, it was because he thought it was for my own good. I know he loves me, I can feel it. Look at this place..." Viviana said, picking up a pillow from the sofa. "Look. He took care of every last detail, making sure everything I loved was here." Debbie was quiet- she was sure that Matteo loved Viviana. "I need to get back to him." Viviana said. "Viviana, listen to me. They won't let you get to him. They won't. Matteo went through all this trouble for you, please don't let him down by putting yourself in danger." Debbie said. "He did. He did all of this for me. He's an idiot." Viviana cried, walking away. This was a conversation the two would have almost everyday for a long time.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD