PROLOGUE

609 Words
“you can’t kill me,” his twisted in an ugly smile, “I am god.” “I can’t but he can." * * * * * “Pita,” a small voice whispered Small hands crept onto my legs “wake up Pita,” the small voice whispered a second time. My eyes snapped opened as I realized who spoke, there she was, at the foot of my bed with her left thumb stuck in her mouth and her doll in the other. Last I saw Zita, she was in the outlands where I’d hidden her together with a few other people, she had been wailing loudly because I was going to leave her. But now here she was in her favourite pink nightie and a bright smile on her face just like the times before the apocalypse. I pull her closer and rubbed my hands across her cheeks just to make sure that she was real. “what are we doing here Zita?” my voice sounded a little croaky. She rolled her small eyes at me, “it’s our house silly.” she wrapped her little hands in mine, “now carry me up, mama said to come eat.” Was I walked towards the kitchen my mind remain in a haze, I could hardly understand how Zita and I appeared to be in our home. My gaze flickers to mama who had that smile on her face as she stirred whatever it was on the fire and Liupita tapped away on her phone just as she would on a normal day. Zita was off from my body, papa was struggling to get her on her chair but she wouldn’t bulge because she thought the chair was ugly. “morning Kiupita, nice for you to join us today.” my mother chirped and winked at Zita whilst Luipita scoffed. A happy smile was plastered on my mama’s face, I never had breakfast with my family. I left my room when I was sure there was no one around. “Liupita be nice,” mama scolded “what? It’s not like she can feel it.” she turned and looked at me, “she’s..... weird anyways.” My mother’s eyes flashed in anger. “she’s just different Liupita but not deaf and you had better stop making your sister feel uncomfortable I won’t tolerate that anymore.” My sister shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly, “whatever.” It was papa that spoke this time “one more word and there’ll be no cheerleading practice for you this week.” She grunted a small reply and returned to whatever you was doing on her phone. Liupita was hardly my problem, my only problem was the fact that they all sat here acting like everything was normal, it was even more shocking that I was sitting here with them I mean I’m supposed to be dead, I was bitten and then shot in the heart by some guy in uniforms. “the festival of blood is eight months away.” mama spoke as she placed the large ceramic plate on the small table. “don’t remind me,” Liupita groaned as she stood up to help mama. Slowly, reality began to sink in. There were no screams of terror and there was hardly any smoke coming from the outside expect the steam from the food mama just placed on the table, there was nothing else. My fingers tapped the table in a furious beating. “is something wrong, Kiupita?” papa asked. I turned to my father who now held Zita on his laps. “what is today papa?” He threw his head back in laughter, mama and Luipita joined in. Liupita pulled a mocking face as she looked at me. “you now have amnesia too?” “Pita honey, it’s new year’s day, the first day in the year of 2370.”
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD