CHAPTER NINE

3667 Words
I shrugged Laban's hands off as I took the first step away from the bed. “It’s okay,” I said. “I can walk just fine without having you breath down my neck every five seconds and besides Kita's already supporting my legs with her big body.” I smiled down at my wolf. Five days ago I woke from my short coma, I’ve been stuck in the sick bay ever since. They haven’t let me step out of the bed because they wanted me to heal completely but the stress of being cooped up in the same room was beginning to get to me so I insisted on leaving the bed to stretch my legs a little and maybe speak to my parents especially my dad. Since I threw the unfiltered truth on him it felt like there was a weight on my shoulders, a weight I couldn’t get off. Even with my arrival to the bunker he’d barely looked into my eyes I knew very well he was only acting nice to me because of my mum, I guess he didn’t let her know that his daughter was nothing but a thief and a liar for that I was grateful. “come on then we don’t have all day.” Laban’s voice broke me from my train of thoughts. As we stepped out of the small sick bay it became even more clear to me the reason behind the loud noise in the bunker. This bunker was supposed to house just us alongside our family members but I kept seeing people that I didn’t even know. “Laban, why does it look full in here?” I asked. He scratched the back of his head unsure whether to give me an answer or not. I shook my head at him, how did I even trust Laban to not go contrary to our plans. The amount of stocks we had piled up in here would not even last us for six months seeing as our number had added tremendously. “You know what? Just shut up, we’ll discuss this later and there better be some good explanation for this.” As we continued on our way, Laban took his time to explain how it worked down here, he also informed me that since our arrival to the bunker Abayomi have locked himself up in the radio room probably trying to see if he’ll get any signal from somewhere else. He brought up the topic of Jaya….again, he told me about the trouble she’s been causing around the bunker and how she paraded herself around the bunker claiming it was her territory. I wasn’t so surprised, it was Jaya, for Jaya trouble was essential to live. I looked around when I noticed eyes on me. “why’s every lady giving me that kind of dirty stare?” I asked Laban. Laban's lips turned up in a haughty grin, he puffed arrogantly and then winked at me. “You know why.” He said is a duh tone as if I shouldn’t even ask something like that. I scoffed. “You’d think with everything going on the girls will finally come to their senses.” “You know how rare it is to have a pretty boy in the same space with them, leave them to gawk Kiupita.” I rolled my eyes at his silliness before reaching out to brush off a tendril of hair that had fallen over his eyes, smirking when I got the exact reaction I needed from the girls. Their jaws were almost touching the ground in shock. Laban chuckled low under his breath, still bent to my level, he flicked my forehead. “Laban.” I protested. “stop messing around K, I don’t want to find you dead one of this days, just because you have a hard time not getting people to hate you.” I gave Laban an glower as I rubbed the small of my head that now throbbed a little. “it’s not my fault this girls have no self control…. You’re not even that handsome, just a regular face.” I whispered the last part with irritation. Just as Laban opens his mouth to say something an ear piercing scream cuts through the air. Without wasting anymore time, we bolted towards where the noise came from. “You have not a single bone of respect in your bones Jaya.” I frowned as I caught sight of a tall girl towering over Jaya, they looked like they were about to fight. Before Jaya could form any reply the girl had one of her hands dug in her hair. Jaya tried to fight back but the latter was stronger. “Hey!” Laban snapped as he tried to pry them away from each other. “Stop this.” “What’s the meaning of all this?” he asked once he’d finally succeeded in separating them. “Aren’t you both ashamed of yourselves? Fighting in front of everyone, really?! So it’s gotten to that now?” “Well someone had to be taught a lesson or two about respect.” The unfamiliar girl replied with a huff. With the way her fingers twitched I could tell she hadn’t had enough, she still wanted to get her hands on Jaya. “It was none of your business b***h, I don’t know how I landed in the same space with low lives.” Jaya's face was red and swollen with anger and probably from the beating too. “Say that to my face one more time w***e, all you do is parade with your chin in the air like you own this place or something, no one’s called you out on your bullshit that’s why you had the guts to throw a whole plate of food on a lady old enough to be your mother because of a simple request.” I furrowed my brow in confusion, now what was going on here? What have Jaya been up to, knowing her I knew this girl wasn’t lying. “That’s enough Adah.” Laban pleaded. “I’ll take this from here.” “Of course you would,” Jaya's tone dripped with sarcasm, she scoffed, and folded her hands on her chest. Laban narrowed his eyes at her I knew this was already getting too much for him, Laban hated getting involved in fights, so decided to step in. “May I know what the problem here is?” I noticed how Jaya jolted in shock as she heard my voice, I even noticed Adah's frown. “Someone finally thought it nice to get her lazy ass off the bed.” Jaya chided. Only a fool would pay attention to Jaya and I wasn’t about to become one. “That lady,” Adah pointed at a woman who stood a little distance away from us, she was covered in food, two children hugged her legs, a look of fright in their eyes. “Asked JAYA to add a little more food, a little something that’ll be enough for her and her kids but Jaya,” she spat out her name like it was poison, “thought that it’ll be nice to throw the little food on the lady.” My gaze fell behind Jaya and then on the woman who I guessed might have been the victim of Jaya's arrogance, then it fell back on the large table where I guessed people had their meals. My eyes landed on a plate that was piled with food, a little more compared to what was on others plate. I pointed at the plate, “who owns that?” For a while no one answered, they looked at one another as if they were too afraid to speak. “I take it that that belongs to you,” I motioned towards the plate again. “Jaya.” Adah scoffed. “bet your ass it is, b***h eats like a f*****g swine, how un-f*****g-believeable.” And like that all hell broke loose. Before Laban could even stop them they were going at each other again. This time the tall girl, Adah, sat on top Jaya as she administered blows. Their fight caused a frenzy in the bunker, parents tried to get their children away from the scene. Jaya screamed at the top of her voice. I looked at Laban who seemed all too willing to let them keep fighting. He glared darkly at me when I motioned for him to separate them but still did as I wanted anyways. Without meaning to, I let out a laugh when I saw how Jaya’s face now looked more like tomatoes. “You don’t look so good Jaya,” I flinched as if feeling the impact of her own wounds on my skin. Jaya furiously matched to where I stood, we were now standing chest to chest, only, Jaya was a head taller that I was. I’d completely forgotten about Kita until she growled ferociously at Jaya, causing her to shrink back in fear. “You should be ashamed of yourself for treating an elder in a disrespectful.” I looked from her to Adah who now pinned me with a hard look. “And you should be ashamed for fighting in front of everyone, both of you, instead of settling this is a more civilized manner.” “f**k you and all your f*****g civilization.” Adah spat before existing the scene. With her gone, the little crowd of people began to disperse, giving me enough room to address Jaya the way I wanted. I took a deep breath before facing Jaya again. “You were wrong to do whatever it is that you did.” “I did nothing!” “Of course you didn’t.” I sassed with a forced smile on my face. “You must know that everything’s different now Jaya, we must all learn to survive and as long as you are in this bunker with me, you must learn to survive…..together.” Her nostrils flared as I reprimanded her. “What do you know about survival?” I held her gaze as I responded. “Enough!” I finally snapped at her. “Enough to know that your alacrity to remain selfish will get, not just you, but us all, in an early grave.” She tried to laugh but ended up wincing. At this point I was glad she finally got the beating she deserved, I was just sad I wasn’t the one to administer those wounds. “You’re are so funny Kiupita, it’s not like it’s a new thing, you honestly don’t think I care about how anyone in this bunker would fare because of my actions, do you? I. Don’t. Care.” She punctuated her last words. Whenever I looked into Jaya’s eyes I’m always left to wonder, about how much darkness a person’s soul could hold, now mine held it’s fair share but Jaya’s darkness scared a piece of me to some extent. I’m left to wonder the how and the why, how she got to this place and why she changed so much. I smiled at her response instead, “then you won’t care when I have the cook serve you last, I’m sure you’re not too bothered about eating from the bottom of the pot.” I grinned when she pulled her lip into a thin line, not all too pleased with what I was about to do. “You wouldn’t!” “You and I both know that I can make you bend your knees if I truly wanted…….” I trailed off. “You have no right!” snapped her friend, Jemila. I gave her my best smile, “but I can.” “You’re being too much, Kiupita.” Anju spat my name out like it was poison in her mouth. “I do not appreciate you or your friends making this bunker uncomfortable to live in. When I asked that you help me find this place you were nothing but unpleased with my decision but now you parade around with your chin up and your heels barely touching the ground, do you not feel shame? I hope that from now on you’ll behave yourself, except you want to be reprimanded like a child.” I could hardly stand being in the same space as Jaya so I turned a lway from her and signaled for Laban to lead the way. “You think she’s going to listen?” Laban asked. I sighed. “For her own good I hope she does.” We fell into a comfortable silence as we continued on our way, I stopped when I reached the monitor room. I knew Abayomi would already be in there working on all those computers, Barrack too. “No I checked already and I don’t think there’s going to be any movement around this place for a while.” Abayomi pointed the screen of the computer. “Hey everyone!” Laban chuckled as he went around the room doing weird handshakes with everyone. I wiggled my eyes at Amahle as she approached. “I can see you’re healing steadily.” Amahle observed as she stood beside me, “good thing.” “Yeah….” I trailed off with a nod. “What is going on in here?” I inquired curiously. “Ah Barrack claimed that there’s been movement around the bunker, said he noticed he noticed it a few days before we arrived and yesterday too.” A frown creased my face as I took in everything she said. “Movements?” Amahle nodded in confirmation. “It wouldn’t seem far-fetched since the army’s scouting the area for survivals.” I left her side to Barrack's, Amahle following close behind and observed the screen. “You’re sure you’ve noticed movements close to the bunker?” He nodded, “yeah, dangerously close and it won’t take time before they discover us.” He peered at me from behind his glasses. “And I heard from Abayomi that you came in contact with the army on your way back.” “Yes,” I released a breath. “we killed about three of them so I think they might be unto us now.” “This is not good.” Karem who had been silent for a long time complained. I didn’t know how it happened but I was on the floor before I knew it, I felt like the air in my lungs were knocked out and the walls were closing in on me, my vision blurred. I heard voices but I couldn’t focus. “Kiupita,” Laban called, his voice was filled with worry. “Take deep breaths it’s okay, just listen to me, concentrate on my voice, yeah?” After a few deep breaths and Laban trying hard to sooth my anxiety, my eyesight returned to normal, but I was exhausted, too tired to even speak. I felt something wet on my face and looked up to see Kita looking down at me with, I don’t know, worry maybe? “It’s okay girl, I’m okay,” I whispered for only her ears and kissed her wet snout. “Are you okay?” Amahle asked with worry and confusion. “She’s fine,” Laban answered as he offered me a hand. “Just take me to my parents.” Laban frowned at my request, he knew how badly drained I was now and thought seeing my family was a bad idea but he didn’t know I really wanted to see them. “You need rest.” I coughed and shook my head, “no I don’t, please just take me to my parents.” I pleaded anxiously. “Fine.” As if remembering something, I turned to the rest who now watched Laban and I with keen interest. “Please have anyone of you heard or seen Zoya and Anne?” Karem nodded. “I visited them both, Anne is recovering well, Zoya too but she still have not altered a word since our time here.” I swayed a little in Laban’s arms, “she’ll come around.” I nodded before letting Laban lead me out of the room. He stopped in front of one room and helped me to reach my parents. I took my hands out of his and smoothened my dress. Laban frowned at me, seemingly unhappy with the okay image I was trying to portray in front of my parents. “Pita!” Zita and John leapt up from their sitting position when they noticed my presence. I laughed at their enthusiasm, bending to their level so I could get a good look of their faces. “And how are my favorite little people doing?” I asked with a smile, my tiredness long forgotten. “Mama told us a story about wolves last night!” John replied, there was a bright tinge in his eyes, as always. Zita frowned at him. “She’s not your mama!” “She is,” he argued. “She said so last night.” “Well Kita's here.” I informed them both. With the way their eyes lit up with excitement I knew my plan to stop their little fight worked. They immediately turned their focus away from me and looked at my wolf instead. They giggled and clapped excited every time she licked their faces. I signaled Laban to take them out which he did. When I finally looked up, my eyes and those of my sister, met. I gave her a forced smile before looking away. Every time I saw Liupita, all I felt was guilt and a tinge of hate. “Kiupita baby,” my mother wrapped her arms around me, I could feel the heat emanating from her body. “I’m so happy to see you.” She away from me, not completely but enough for her to get a good look at me. “And looking good too, you’re healing quite fast, faster than I had expected.” “You should let her go now, mama.” Liupita said with a frown, “you’ll only injure her further.” “Oh oh that’s true, did I break anything dear? Are you feeling well?” she threw questions at me. I laughed, “yeah mama, I’m doing alright, you can stop worrying now.” She smiled sadly and turned to Liupita, “come Liupita let’s go see if there’s something to eat.” “Can’t you go alone.” She groaned. “Liupita, stop being stubborn.” My mother snapped in her native tongue. “Okay okay I’m coming, gee mama.” She picked herself up from my father’s side and followed my mother out. Finally alone, I took a seat beside my father who had barely spared me a glance since I got here. Truthfully I felt too ashamed to even say a word so I just looked at him. “I can’t look at you without feeling like it was my fault and your mother’s that turned out like this.” He mumbled, “if I’d paid close attention to both of my daughters then maybe you wouldn’t have done what you did, I wish I had been a better father.” He grieved. “You….you are a good father.” I croaked out. “Then why?” When he finally looked at me I was overwhelmed with shame, he looked at me with pain, shame and regret. “where was I lacking as a father? Where did I go wrong, Kiupita? Why did you have to become so cruel even to your own sister?” I shook my head, “I’m sorry papa, I swear I didn’t mean it.” “You lied to your parents faces, you’ve made fools out of us Kiupita, you stole from your sister, you made her look small, you ripped her victories off from her hands.” He looked at me with those eyes one more time, “it was you who turned your sister into a beast, you turned a into the girl she is today.” I opened my mouth to say something but no words came, he was right, I was a thief and a liar, a two faced person. It was my fault that Liupita turned out the way she did. My father turned his face away from me, signaling the end of this conversation. I stood on shaky legs and took a deep breath before speaking again. “Sometimes papa…. You have to be selfish.” But it will take a long time before he would finally understand the meaning behind those words.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD