CHAPTER THREE

3596 Words
“close your eyes Zita, like you do when we play hide and seek.” ******** Both parents looked confused as to why we kept hurrying them. “Luipita, Kiupita will someone tell us what’s going on." Liupita took my mother’s hands in hers. “just do as we say mama, it’s not safe here anymore, can you hear the screams? The buildings burning in a distance? So please listen to what we have to say.” “Laban is already outside and he’s waiting on us, we need to get out here before whatever it is that’s going on in the higher city meets us, once we get to our destination we’ll fill you in on what’s going on. It’s going to be okay?” Liupita shook slightly as she tried to calm them down, her tall frame would easily make a person think she wasn’t frightened but I knew better, Luipita was scared just as my mother was. Papa mumbled something under his breath and then sighed. “okay, let’s head out then.” Liupita led the way. We headed over to where Laban was, he kept gnawing his lips with his teeth, he too was scared. He didn’t even turn his engine off. They all jumped onto the van. Just as I was about to get in I realized something, I haven’t heard Zita’s voice through this all. Gulping, I stuttered, “did…did anyone fetch Zita from her room?” There was collective gasp amongst everyone, their eyes went wide with fear, we each thought one of us had retrieved her from her room. “how could we have been this careless?” I asked myself “I’m going back for Zita?” I announced. “you guys get out of here.” “no!” mama half yelled, “how do you expect me to leave my baby here.” “they’re closing in on us, if you don’t leave now then we’ll either be torn in shreds or infected.” “no,” my father declared, “I’m not letting you go in there, I’ll go fetch her myself.” The disappointment in his voice was still as clear as the day, he probably thought I’d harm his other daughter. “no you won’t, you’ll go with Laban, I know everything about this I’ll reach you in time.” I turned to Laban and gazed at him, he knew what I was thinking “you’re not going in there.” papa maintained “I won’t listen to you anyways,” My nails dug into my palms, never have I ever talked to my papa in such manner even Liupita gapped at me. “you think you can survive out here, you’ll die before you even get the chance to get Zita to safety.” He opened his mouth to say something but I waved him off. “We’re wasting time arguing over nothing,” I turned to Laban. My eyes didn’t leave Laban’s, he gritted his teeth and clenched his fists his silver blue eyes kept switching colours a clear sign that he was furious with my decision but as always he could do nothing to change my mind, he looked away first. When he did I turned to my sister only to find that she too had her eyes on me. My eyes hold those of Luipita, she wanted to run back and get her but she already knew I wouldn’t let her. “stay.” My request, plain and simple, must have shown in my eyes because it was clear she was debating on doing what I wanted, at last she sighed and looked away. Since it was already dark it was going to take time to convince Zita about leaving the room hence the reason I needed them to leave first. My papa tried to jump down the van but the doors jammed, he yelled in frustration and slammed his hands against the glass, I watched from outside how my mama sobbed into her hands, must be hard thinking you’ve lost two children in one night. Kita whined as she noticed I wasn't coming with. “I don’t want to leave without you but I know you won’t listen so.” our eyes met, the emotions that swirled in his eyes were too hard for me to pinpoint, “come back to me safe.” Without waiting for my reply he drove away. I dashed into the house, I could hear Zita cry from even outside. The house was dark and I was sure she could sense the danger. “Zita,” slowly I walked into the small room, “Zita, can you hear me?” “Pita?” “yes, it is I.” “it’s dark and I’m scared.” her voice was shaky “I know baby, follow my voice like you do when we play catcher with a blindfold.” “I… I can’t.” “it’s okay, I’m right here, I’m right here, just follow my voice.” I kept talking so she could reach me. Once I’d felt her little hands were on mine, I grabbed her from the floor into my arms. “do you have tommy with you?” I felt her nod her head. Sighing in relief, I asked her to wrap her hands around my neck because I was going to run a little distance to the other side of the road, the old garage. Zita's hand tightened around me the moment I stepped out. The streets were filled with people relentlessly screaming at the top of their voices. Helicopters and gunshots, burning buildings. In short it was all terrofying. My eyes zeroed in on a pregnant lady, she kept struggling through the mass of bodies. She wrapped her hands around her bulging stomach as she tried her best to avoid the people who tried desperately to find shelter. Reluctantly, I turned towards her direction and grabbed her hands tightly in mine. “come,” I said simply She struggled to take her hands out of mine but I didn’t let go. With Zita’s arms wrapped around my neck and my fingers wrapped around the older woman’s wrist I walked quickly towards the opposite direction and I didn’t stop walking until I got to my destination. The woman snatched her hands from mine as we stepped into the garage she probably didn’t hit me because of the child in my arms. “who are you?” she asked shakily I threw the car doors opened and unwrapped Zita’s arms from my body. Out there, on the streets people kept running, their screams frighten us all. “close your eyes Zita, like you do when we play hide and seek, don’t open it until I say so,” I instructed as her strapped her in Turning to the pregnant woman. “get in,” I commanded She stepped back in fright probably because of my voice was void of any emotions. I cursed under my breath. “if you don’t come in both you and your baby won’t make it out of here tonight.” She wrapped her hands around her tummy before taking slow steps towards me. The moment she got in I climbed onto the driver’s seat, I turned the keys on the ignition but it wouldn’t bulge, I tried a second time and a third but nothing, the car wouldn’t start. I punch the steering out of frustration making the horn sound. I came down from the car and opened the burnet, I was sure I got everything for this car I tried to recall what it was that I might have forgotten. I was beyond frustrated, I could already hear the grunts from those dead creatures, they weren’t pleasant sounds and Zita shouldn’t have to hear those. They weren’t supposed to find us, it must have been from the horn. My hands dropped on my waist as I racked my brain for any possible solutions. As I turned, my eyes caught the bottle of water that now laid close to a dustbin. “water!” I exclaimed, “that must be it.” I grabbed the gun under the seat and asked both Zita and older woman to be very quiet, I was not going to stay for long. As I rushed out of there dodging the bodies of people who still struggles to make it into their homes unscathed seeing as those dead eyed zombies already had their claws on a few people already. In a distance the people that swayed from side to side in a slow motion, their feet dragged along the tard road, I tried to go unnoticed, I did at first until there was the sound of a child crying a little away from the dustbin. “s**t s**t shit.” I cursed as all of their heads shot up in excitement. I grabbed the little confused looking boy by the hand and threw him over my shoulders. The moment I got back to the car I opened the car doors so he could go in. Hurriedly uncapping the water bottle, I turned every single bit of water into the radiator as I was closed the burnet I felt a hand on my shoulders, without giving it a second thought, I jabbed my elbow in it’s stomach and shot right through its rotten skull. The trio screamed out of fear. Jumping into the car, I prayed in my heart that it would start and it did the moment I turned the keys. I winded up the glasses and drove out, knocking the dead people out of my way. My hands gripped the steering wheel as I tried to ignore the screams around me. I jumped in fright when a few people slammed their hands on the car. “help please, please.” I made no stops, I just kept driving straight. “help them, why won’t you help them!” My muscles stiffled as the pregnant lady spoke. “lady,” I began. “You’re quite lucky I stopped to help you maybe that’s why you still don’t understand that making stops after stops will get us in trouble, hold tight.” Accelerating the speed limit of the vehicle, I crushed the dead that blocked my way. Never once did I slow the car down until I was sure we had lost them. Once we were close to the outlands I took a breath of relief and thanked my stars for keeping this old worn out car. There used to be an old man, old man Okon as he liked to be called, who lived across from the street, he was the one of the few people who ever bothered to get to know me. He was kind and had a sassy mouth. Before the year 2370, we’d been walking on a very old car, one of cars he said people in the twenty-first century used, it was a small one but classy. He called it camry SE, the lamps were coated in a cool dark chrome coating. “such beauty.” he’d gush over the car like it was the moon. Before he died, he gifted it to me including the house which I hadn’t touched or seen since he died. I did come for the car now because it was very important. “hey.” A voice called from the back “go on.” “the kids fell asleep.” I turned to see the little boy curled up on the pregnant lady’s laps, Zita had her thumb in her mouth as always and her doll, tommy, in her arms, her head relaxed on the door of the car as she slept. “who’s she?” her voice broke through my thoughts Focusing on the rough path, “sister.” “oh, would have never guessed, you guys don’t really look alike.” “we don’t.” I could see from the mirror that her smile fell, my replies came out coldly even though I didn’t want it to. I tightened my hands around the wheel and willed myself to break the ice I created, “I … look more like my dad, my sisters take their faces from my mom.” Her smile reappeared, “wow that’s so nice!” she laughed, "I also look like my dad." From the mirror I watched her face as she laughed, her eyes went in and her cheeks kind of went up a little. This lady had a tiny dimple on her left cheek, it wasn’t so noticeable but it was there. Unconsciously, I blurted out, “beautiful.” Her head went down shyly, she murmured a small thanks. “Thank you for saving me, if you hadn’t stopped I know I’d be dead by now.” She whispered words of appreciation. “also, I’m sorry for being unreasonable.” I nodded my head in response. Ten minutes later the car was filled with silence, she too had fallen asleep. I looked through the glass at the sky, it was darker than the night, it looked like they were going to start crying anytime soon. My insides felt like they occupied by a million butterflies, bad bad butterflies. While in that garage, I feared that the car wouldn’t start, my carelessness and forgetfulness would’ve gotten us all killed. I glanced back and took a short look at my sister, my thoughts were clouded with images of her body lying bloodied on the ground with her brains absent. I felt so much guilt for leaving her in there, in that house alone. If I wasn’t thinking only about myself then I would not have forgotten she had screamed the moment there was a blackout. Shaking my head to get rid of every feeling of guilt, I began to think about the rest instead, I started to think about the path we must take in order to stop this virus from getting the rest of us. The kings were fully aware of the things that were going on, if we wanted more info then we had to get to them. That was going to be very difficult considering the fact that this kings were well guarded by our top security, the countless number of drones that roamed around their large homes. However, from what I can recall this kings were rounded up in a particular place at the moment, the safe house which was located north of Asian kingdom. From what I recall there was an underground bunker built to keep the kings safe during times like this. They were all in there, surrounded by a countless number of soldiers it would be difficult to get them all out and even more difficult to get in, it was good that I was a step if not two steps ahead. Issa would come in handy. When I finally got the outlands, it was already dawn. I had only driven up to ten miles when the car started to make this weird noise signaling that I was out of gas. There was a large tree a little distant away from where I was so I turned off the car. I could sense them all waking up, good, we needed to keep going. Zita was first to wake, when she saw me her little frown morphed into a smile, she forced her way to the driver’s seat and sat on my laps, something she loved to do very much, especially when she was hungry or just being her normal clingy self. “Pita, I’m hungry.” Without wasting anymore time I shifted her a little on my lap and grabbed the bag on the passenger’s seat, I opened it and took out a bag out cheeseballs. Her eyes widen in glee when I handed it over to her. Knowing the rest were up already I handed them each a bag, however small it was they still showed gratitude. I watched as they tore and ate hastily like they’ve never had food before in their lives. “aren’t you going to have some?” the lady asked her face full of worry “I’m okay,” I tried my best to assure her. “just eat we have to keep moving, we ran out of gas so we’re running the rest of the way.” seeing as she was confused I went further, “there’s a bunker we have to get to, it’s our only means of safety.” She nodded her, her eyes showed deep sadness. no one wanted this, no one ever thought there’ll be a time when we will run in search of a safe place, no one ever thought that. The people who managed to find refuge in their homes will eventually starve to death. Once they were done, I knelt in front of both kids. While I was packing months ago I had packed two running shoes for Zita just in case. putting a pair on her legs and the other I gave to the little boy, John, as he was called. Making sure they were knotted tightly I place my one hand on each of their shoulders. “if you’re scared tap me twice, if you need something tap me twice. If something happens I want you to close your eyes tightly, don’t go anywhere without me.” I looked up at the woman, “all of you.” “what about my daddy?” John asked “that’s where we are going kiddo, we’re going to find your daddy and mine too.” Like the good boy that he’s been, he nods his head before offering me a smile which I also tried to return. “come on.” I checked first if my dagger and handgun where still on me before motioning for them to walk in my front, I grabbed my duffel bag and followed. Fingers crossed, I kept hoping that we wouldn’t meet another danger out here, I knew for sure in the main time this place was safe but I didn’t know how long it would. Hopefully we would get to the bunker before anything happened. My eyes stayed on the people that walked in front of me although it swayed sometimes to my surroundings and I was glad it did. Much like the first time I was out here with Liupita and the others, there was a black snake curled up close to one of the mango trees. “stop.” I whispered lowly but not too low so they could get me. Snakes fished things out through vibrations since they didn’t have ears but they weren’t blind so they could see us, it was either it was playing dead or it just didn’t care that we were standing almost close to it. But who was I kidding, the head shot up the moment I took a step. It snarled angrily at me, “close your eyes.” I stood in front of them. I corked my gun, ready to shoot. I didn’t hesitate in shooting at it the moment its head flattened. Taking the first shot as it opened it’s mouth and I didn’t stop. This snake was way too big for just one bullet to take down so I didn’t stop. When it fell limp to the ground I started towards it, I used my legs to poke the sides just to make sure it wasn’t playing tricks on me. I used my dagger the separate it’s head from the body and just like before buried them each in different spots. Old man Okon used to tell me back then when a snake was killed it was normal to cut off their heads and bury the two parts in different parts because they believed that if they did otherwise the snake would come back to haunt. When I asked why they thought that way, he said they were evil spiritual beings except we worshipped them then they were dangerous, especially pythons. I don’t know why but his lessons just kind of stuck in my head. When I was sure that it was properly buried, I take a hand full of sand in my hand to rub on my dagger. “open your eyes,” I hollered at them. “was that a snake?” Annie looked pale, she must have opened her eyes when I instructed that it remained close. They walked towards where I stood trying to get every clean my knife of everything that had to do with the snake. “always do as I say, preggy!” my tone held no warmth whatsoever in them. She gulped audibly and nodded her head. “why did we close our eyes Pita?” Zita curious as always asked in a hushed tone “there was a dragon in the sky.” She covered her mouth in shock. “really?” I nodded my head “what’s a dragon?” John asked confused, the pregnant lady laughed at his question, the fear in her eyes slowly replaced with humor. Zita gasped dramatically, she took his hand in hers and said. “you have a lot to learn Johnny boy, from now on call me miss teacher.” The lady had her hands wrapped around her protruding stomach as she laughed, even I cracked a smile. Zita have always been a lively child. The day dragged on and on, for hours we walked, sometimes I had to carry one of them while the lady held one in her hands. When night fell on us we took shelter underneath an umbrella tree but only after I’d made sure it was clear of any threat. It was extremely cold plus the numerous insects that flew all around us. I retrieved the blanket Laban had given to me earlier and asked them to huddle close to each other. I threw the blanket. I bent in front of Zita, “you have Tommy?” She grinned, “he’s right here.” She raised her teddy up so I could see. Feeling the urge to pee, I put my dagger in the lady’s hand and asked her not to hesitant in using her weapon if there was any danger lurking around, until I came back she had to take care of them. Not long after I was done relieving myself, a loud scream cut through the whole. the voice was hers, “Zita.”
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD