The Open Door-2-2

2030 Words
I said I supposed I might stay in the street. 'Carrison didn't own that,' I suggested. The clerk advised me not to try that game, or I might get locked up. I said I would take my chance of it. After that we went on arguing the question at some length, and we were in the middle of a heated argument, in which several of Carrison's 'young gentlemen', as they called themselves, were good enough to join, when we were all suddenly silenced by a grave-looking individual, who authoritatively enquired: 'What is all this noise about?' Before anyone could answer I spoke up: 'I want to see Mr Carrison, and they won't let me.' 'What do you want with Mr Carrison?' 'I will tell that to himself only.' 'Very well, say on—I am Mr Carrison.' For a moment I felt abashed and almost ashamed of my persistency; next instant, however, what Mr Fryer would have called my 'native audacity' came to the rescue, and I said, drawing a step or two nearer to him, and taking off my hat: 'I wanted to speak to you about Ladlow hall, if you please, sir.' In an instant the fashion of his face changed, a look of irritation succeeded to that of immobility; an angry contraction of the eyebrows disfigured the expression of his countenance. 'Ladlow Hall!' he repeated; 'and what have you got to say about Ladlow Hall?' 'That is what I wanted to tell you, sir,' I answered, and a dead hush seemed to fall on the office as I spoke. The silence seemed to attract his attention, for he looked sternly at the clerks, who were not using a pen or moving a finger. 'Come this way, then,' he said abruptly; and next minute I was in his private office. 'Now, what is it?' he asked, flinging himself into a chair, and addressing me, who stood hat in hand beside the great table in the middle of the room. I began—I will say he was a patient listener—at the very beginning, and told my story straight trough. I concealed nothing. I enlarged on nothing. A discharged clerk I stood before him, and in the capacity of a discharged clerk I said what I had to say. He heard me to the end, then he sat silent, thinking. At last he spoke. 'You have heard a great deal of conversation about Ladlow, I suppose?' he remarked. 'No sir; I have heard nothing except what I have told you.' 'And why do you desire to strive to solve such a mystery?' 'If there is any money to be made, I should like to make it, sir.' 'How old are you?' 'Two-and-twenty last January.' 'And how much salary had you at Frimpton's?' 'Twenty pounds a year.' 'Humph! More than you are worth, I should say.' 'Mr Fryer seemed to imagine so, sir, at any rate,' I agreed, sorrowfully. 'But what do you think?' he asked, smiling in spite of himself. 'I think I did quite as much work as the other clerks,' I answered. 'That is not saying much, perhaps,' he observed. I was of his opinion, but I held my peace. 'You will never make much of a clerk, I am afraid,' Mr Garrison proceeded, fitting his disparaging remarks upon me as he might on a lay figure. 'You don't like desk work?' 'Not much, sir.' 'I should judge the best thing you could do would be to emigrate,' he went on, eyeing me critically. 'Mr Fryer said I had better go to Australia or—' I stopped, remembering the alternative that gentleman had presented. 'Or where?' asked Mr Carrison. 'The—, sir' I explained, softly and apologetically. He laughed—he lay back in his chair and laughed—and I laughed myself, though ruefully. After all, twenty pounds was twenty pounds, though I had not thought much of the salary till I lost it. We went on talking for a long time after that; he asked me all about my father and my early life, and how we lived, and where we lived, and the people we knew; and, in fact, put more questions than I can well remember. 'It seems a crazy thing to do,' he said at last; 'and yet I feel disposed to trust you. The house is standing perfectly empty. I can't live in it, and I can't get rid of it; all my own furniture I have removed, and there is nothing in the place except a few old-fashioned articles belonging to Lord Ladlow. The place is a loss to me. It is of no use trying to let it, and thus, in fact, matters are at a deadlock. You won't be able to find out anything, I know, because, of course, others have tried to solve the mystery ere now; still, if you like to try you may. I will make this bargain with you. If you like to go down, I will pay your reasonable expenses for a fortnight; and if you do any good for me, I will give you a ten-pound note for yourself. Of course I must be satisfied that what you have told me is true and that you are what you represent. Do you know anybody in the city who would speak for you?' I could think of no one but my uncle. I hinted to Mr Carrison he was not grand enough or rich enough, perhaps, but I knew nobody else to whom I could refer him. 'What!' he said, 'Robert Dorland, of Cullum Street. He does business with us. If he will go bail for your good behaviour I shan't want any further guarantee. Come along.' And to my intense amazement, he rose, put on his hat, walked me across the outer office and along the pavements till we came to Cullum Street. 'Do you know this youth, Mr Dorland?' he said, standing in front of my uncle's desk, and laying a hand on my shoulder. 'Of course I do, Mr Carrison,' answered my uncle, a little apprehensively; for, as he told me afterwards, he could not imagine what mischief I had been up to. 'He is my nephew.' 'And what is your opinion of him—do you think he is a young fellow I may safely trust?' My uncle smiled, and answered, 'That depends on what you wish to trust him with.' 'A long column of addition, for instance.' 'It would be safer to give that task to somebody else.' 'Oh, uncle!' I remonstrated; for I had really striven to conquer my natural antipathy to figures—worked hard, and every bit of it against the collar. My uncle got off his stool, and said, standing with his back to the empty fire-grate: 'Tell me what you wish the boy to do, Mr Carrison, and I will tell you whether he will suit your purpose or not. I know him, I believe, better than he knows himself.' In an easy, affable way, for so rich a man, Mr Carrison took possession of the vacant stool, and nursing his right leg over his left knee, answered: 'He wants to go and shut the open door at Ladlow for me. Do you think he can do that?' My uncle looked steadily back at the speaker, and said, 'I thought, Mr Carrison, it was quite settled no one could shut it?' Mr Carrison shifted a little uneasily on his seat, and replied: 'I did not set your nephew the task he fancies he would like to undertake.' 'Have nothing to do with it, Phil,' advised my uncle, shortly. 'You don't believe in ghosts, do you, Mr Dorland?' asked Mr Carrison, with a slight sneer. 'Don't you, Mr Carrison?' retorted my uncle. There was a pause—an uncomfortable pause—during the course of which I felt the ten pounds, which, in imagination, I had really spent, trembling in the scale. I was not afraid. For ten pounds, or half the money, I would have faced all the inhabitants of spirit land. I longed to tell them so; but something in the way those two men looked at each other stayed my tongue. 'If you ask me the question here in the heart of the city, Mr Dorland,' said Mr Carrison, at length, slowly and carefully, 'I answer “No”; but it you were to put it to me on a dark night at Ladlow, I should beg time to consider. I do not believe in supernatural phenomena myself, and yet—the door at Ladlow is as much beyond my comprehension as the ebbing and flowing of the sea.' 'And you can't Live at Ladlow?' remarked my uncle. 'I can't live at Ladlow, and what is more, I can't get anyone else to live at Ladlow.' 'And you want to get rid of your lease?' 'I want so much to get rid of my lease that I told Fryer I would give him a handsome sum if he could induce anyone to solve the mystery. Is there any other information you desire, Mr Dorland? Because if there is, you have only to ask and have. I feel I am not here in a prosaic office in the city of London, but in the Palace of Truth.' My uncle took no notice of the implied compliment. When wine is good it needs no bush. If a man is habitually honest in his speech and in his thoughts, he desires no recognition of the fact. 'I don't think so,' he answered; 'it is for the boy to say what he will do. If he be advised by me he will stick to his ordinary work in his employers' office, and leave ghost-hunting and spirit- laying alone.' Mr Carrison shot a rapid glance in my direction, a glance which, implying a secret understanding, might have influenced my uncle could I have stooped to deceive my uncle. 'I can't stick to my work there any longer,' I said. 'I got my marching orders today.' 'What had you been doing, Phil?' asked my uncle. 'I wanted ten pounds to go and lay the ghost!' I answered, so dejectedly, that both Mr Carrison and my uncle broke out laughing. 'Ten pounds!' cried my uncle, almost between laughing and crying. 'Why, Phil boy, I had rather, poor man though I am, have given thee ten pounds than that thou should'st go ghost-hunting or ghostlaying.' When he was very much in earnest my uncle went back to thee and thou of his native dialect. I liked the vulgarism, as my mother called it, and I knew my aunt loved to hear him use the caressing words to her. He had risen, not quite from the ranks it is true, but if ever a gentleman came ready born into the world it was Robert Dorland, upon whom at our home everyone seemed to look down. 'What will you do, Edlyd?' asked Mr Carrison; 'you hear what your uncle says, "Give up the enterprise", and what I say; I do not want either to bribe or force your inclinations.' 'I will go, sir,' I answered quite steadily. 'I am not afraid, and I should like to show you—' I stopped. I had been going to say, 'I should like to show you I am not such a fool as you all take me for', but I felt such an address would be too familiar, and refrained. Mr Carrison looked at me curiously. I think he supplied the end of the sentence for himself, but he only answered: 'I should like you to show me that door fast shut; at any rate, if you can stay in the place alone for a fortnight, you shall have your money.' 'I don't like it, Phil,' said my uncle: 'I don't like this freak at all.' 'I am sorry for that, uncle,' I answered, 'for I mean to go. 'When?' asked Mr Carrison. 'Tomorrow morning,' I replied. 'Give him five pounds, Dorland, please, and I will send you my cheque. You will account to me for that sum, you understand,' added Mr Garrison, turning to where I stood. 'A sovereign will be quite enough,' I said. 'You will take five pounds, and account to me for it,' repeated Mr Carrison, firmly; 'also, you will write to me every day, to my private address, and if at any moment you feel the thing too much for you, throw it up. Good afternoon,' and without more formal leavetaking he departed.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD