Chapter One

3767 Words
Chapter One When I entered upon the tenancy of Nut Bush Farm almost the first piece of news which met me, in the shape of a whispered rumour, was that “something” had been seen in the “long field.” Pressed closely as to what he meant, my informant reluctantly stated that the “something” took the “form of a man,” and that the wood and the path leading thereto from Whittleby were supposed to be haunted. Now, all this annoyed me exceedingly. I do not know when I was more put out than by this intelligence. It is unnecessary to say I did not believe in ghosts or anything of that kind, but my wife being a very nervous, impressionable woman, and our only child a delicate weakling, in the habit of crying himself into fits if left alone at night without a candle, I really felt at my wits' end to imagine what I should do if a story of this sort reached their ears. And reach them I knew it must if they came to Nut Bush Farm, so the first thing I did when I heard people did not care to venture down the Beech Walk or through the copse, or across the long field after dark, or indeed by day, was to write to say I thought they had both better remain on at my father-in-law's till I could get the house thoroughly to rights. After that I lit my pipe and went out for a stroll; when I knocked the ashes out of my pipe and re-entered the sitting-room I had made up my mind. I could not afford to be frightened away from my tenancy. For weal or for woe I must stick to Nut Bush Farm. It was quite by chance I happened to know anything of the place at first. When I met with that accident in my employers' service, which they rated far too highly and recompensed with a liberality I never can feel sufficiently grateful for, the doctors told me plainly if I could not give up office work and leave London altogether, they would not give a year's purchase for my life. Life seemed very sweet to me then—it always has done—but just at that period I felt the pleasant hopes of convalescence; and with that thousand pounds safely banked, I could not let it slip away from me. “Take a farm,” advised my father-in-law. “Though people say a farmer's is a bad trade, I know many a man who is making money out of it. Take a farm, and if you want a helping hand to enable you to stand the racket for a year or two, why, you know I am always ready.” I had been bred and born on a farm. My father held something like fifteen hundred acres under the principal landowner in his county, and though it so happened I could not content myself at home, but must needs come up to London to see the lions and seek my fortune, still I had never forgotten the meadows and the cornfields, and the cattle, and the orchards, and the woods and the streams, amongst which my happy boyhood had been spent. Yes, I thought I should like a farm—one not too far from London; and “not too big,” advised my wife's father. “The error people make nowadays,” he went on, “is spreading their butter over too large a surface. It is the same in business as in land—they stretch their arms out too far—they will try to wade in deep waters—and the consequence is they know a day's peace, and end mostly in the bankruptcy court.” He spoke as one having authority, and I knew what he said was quite right. He had made his money by a very different course of procedure, and I felt I could not follow a better example. I knew something about farming, though not very much. Still, agriculture is like arithmetic: when once one knows the multiplication table the rest is not so difficult. I had learned unconsciously the alphabet of soils and crops and stock when I was an idle young dog, and liked nothing better than talking to the labourers, and accompanying the woodman when he went out felling trees; and so I did not feel much afraid of what the result would be, more especially as I had a good business head on my shoulders, and enough money to “stand the racket,” as my father-in-law put it, till the land began to bring in her increase. When I got strong and well again after my long illness—I mean strong and well enough to go about—I went down to look at a farm which was advertised as to let in Kent. According to the statement in the newspaper, there was no charm that farm lacked; when I saw it I discovered the place did not possess one virtue, unless, indeed, an old Tudor house fast falling to ruins, which would have proved invaluable to an artist, could be so considered. Far from a railway, having no advantages of water carriage, remote from a market, apparently destitute of society. Nor could these drawbacks be accounted the worst against it. The land, poor originally, seemed to have been totally exhausted. There were fields on which I do not think a goose could have found subsistence—nothing grew luxuriantly save weeds; it would have taken all my capital to get the ground clean. Then I saw the fences were dilapidated, the hedges in a deplorable condition, and the farm buildings in such a state of decay I would not have stabled a donkey in one of them. Clearly, the King's Manor, which was the modest name of the place, would not do at any price, and yet I felt sorry, for the country around was beautiful, and already the sweet, pure air seemed to have braced up my nerves and given me fresh energy. Talking to mine host at the “Bunch of Hops,” in Whittleby, he advised me to look over the local paper before returning to London. “There be a many farms vacant,” he said, “mayhap you'll light on one to suit.” To cut a long story short, I did look in the local paper and found many farms to let, but not one to suit. There was a drawback to each—a drawback at least so far as I was concerned. I felt determined I would not take a large farm. My conviction was then what my conviction still remains, that it is better to cultivate fifty acres thoroughly than to crop, stock, clean, and manure a hundred insufficiently. Besides, I did not want to spend my strength on wages, or take a place so large I could not oversee the workmen on foot. For all these reasons and many more I came reluctantly to the conclusion that there was nothing in that part of the country to suit a poor unspeculative plodder like myself. It was a lovely afternoon in May when I turned my face towards Whittleby, as I thought, for the last time. In the morning I had taken train for a farm some ten miles distant and worked my way back on foot to a “small cottage with land” a local agent thought might suit me. But neither the big place nor the little answered my requirements much to the disgust of the auctioneer, who had himself accompanied us to the cottage under the impression I would immediately purchase it and so secure his commission. Somewhat sulkily he told me a short cut back to Whittleby, and added, as a sort of rider to all previous statements, the remark: “You had best look out for what you want in Middlesex. You'll find nothing of that sort hereabouts.” As to the last part of the foregoing sentence I was quite of his opinion, but I felt so oppressed with the result of all my wanderings that I thought upon the whole I had better abandon my search altogether, or else pursue it in some county very far away indeed—perhaps in the land of dreams for that matter! As has been said, it was a lovely afternoon in May—the hedges were snowy with hawthorn blossom, the chestnuts were bursting into flower, the birds were singing fit to split their little throats, the lambs were dotting the hillsides, and I—ah, well, I was a boy again, able to relish all the rich banquet God spreads out day by day for the delight and nourishment of His too often thankless children. When I came to a point halfway up some rising ground where four lanes met and then wound off each on some picturesque diverse way, I paused to look around regretfully. As I did so—some distance below me—along what appeared to be a never-before-traversed lane, I saw the gleam of white letters on a black board. “Come,” I thought, “I'll see what this is at all events,” and bent my steps towards the place, which might, for all I knew about it, have been a ducal mansion or a cockney's country villa. The board appeared modestly conspicuous in the foreground of a young fir plantation, and simply bore this legend: TO BE LET, HOUSE AND LAND, Apply at the “White Dragon.” “It is a mansion,” I thought, and I walked on slowly, disappointed. All of a sudden the road turned a sharp corner and I came in an instant upon the prettiest place I had ever seen or ever desire to see. I looked at it over a low laurel hedge growing inside an open paling about four feet high. Beyond the hedge there was a strip of turf, green as emeralds, smooth as a bowling green—then came a sunk fence, the most picturesque sort of protection the ingenuity of man ever devised; beyond that, a close-cut lawn which sloped down to the sunk fence from a house with projecting gables in the front, the recessed portion of the building having three windows on the first floor. Both gables were covered with creepers, the lawn was girt in by a semicircular sweep of forest trees; the afternoon sun streamed over the grass and tinted the swaying foliage with a thousand tender lights. Hawthorn bushes, pink and white, mingled with their taller and grander brothers. The chestnuts here were in flower, the copper beech made a delightful contrast of colour, and a birch rose delicate and graceful close beside. It was like a fairy scene. I passed my hand across my eyes to assure myself it was all real. Then I thought “if this place be even nearly within my means I will settle here. My wife will grow stronger in this paradise—my boy get more like other lads. Such things as nerves must be unknown where there is not a sight or sound to excite them. Nothing but health, purity, and peace.” Thus thinking, I tore myself away in search of the “White Dragon,” the landlord of which small public-house sent a lad to show me over the farm. “As for the rent,” he said, “you will have to speak to Miss Gostock herself—she lives at Chalmont, on the road between here and Whittleby.” In every respect the place suited me; it was large enough, but not too large; had been well farmed, and was amply supplied with water—a stream indeed flowing through it; a station was shortly to be opened, at about half-a-mile's distance; and most of the produce could be disposed of to dealers and tradesmen at Crayshill, a town to which the communication by rail was direct. I felt so anxious about the matter, it was quite a disappointment to find Miss Gostock from home. Judging from the look of her house, I did not suppose she could afford to stick out for a long rent, or to let a farm lie idle for any considerable period. The servant who appeared in answer to my summons was a singularly red armed and rough handed Phyllis. There was only a strip of carpeting laid down in the hall, the windows were bare of draperies, and the avenue gate, set a little back from the main road, was such as I should have felt ashamed to put in a farmyard. Next morning I betook myself to Chalmont, anxiously wondering as I walked along what the result of my interview would prove. When I neared the gate, to which uncomplimentary reference has already been made, I saw standing on the other side a figure wearing a man's broad-brimmed straw hat, a man's coat, and a woman's skirt. I raised my hat in deference to the supposed s*x of this stranger. She put up one finger to the brim of hers, and said, “Servant, sir.” Not knowing exactly what to do, I laid my hand upon the latch of the gate and raised it, but she did not alter her position in the least. She only asked, “What do you want?” “I want to see Miss Gostock,” was my answer. “I am Miss Gostock,” she said; “what is your business with me?” I replied meekly that I had come to ask the rent of Nut Bush Farm. “Have you viewed it?” she inquired. “Yes.” I told her I had been over the place on the previous afternoon. “And have you a mind to take it?” she persisted. “For I am not going to trouble myself answering a lot of idle inquiries.” So far from my being an idle inquirer, I assured the lady that if we could come to terms about the rent, I should be very glad indeed to take the farm. I said I had been searching the neighbourhood within a circuit of ten miles for some time unsuccessfully, and added, somewhat unguardedly, I suppose, Nut Bush Farm was the only place I had met with which at all met my views. Standing in an easy attitude, with one arm resting on the top bar of the gate and one foot crossed over the other, Miss Gostock surveyed me, who had unconsciously taken up a similar position, with an amused smile. “You must think me a very honest person, young man,” she remarked. I answered that I hoped she was, but I had not thought at all about the matter. “Or else,” proceeded this extraordinary lady, “you fancy I am a much greater flat than I am.” “On the contrary,” was my reply. “If there be one impression stronger than another which our short interview has made upon me it is that you are a wonderfully direct and capable woman of business.” She looked at me steadily, and then closed one eye, which performance, done under the canopy of that broad-brimmed straw hat, had the most ludicrous effect imaginable. “You won't catch me napping,” she observed, “but, however, as you seem to mean dealing, come in; I can tell you my terms in two minutes,” and opening the gate—a trouble she would not allow me to take off her hands—she gave me admission. Then Miss Gostock took off her hat, and swinging it to and fro began slowly walking up the ascent leading to Chalmont, I beside her. “I have quite made up my mind,” she said, “not to let the farm again without a premium; my last tenant treated me abominably.” I intimated I was sorry to hear that, and waited for further information. “He had the place at a low rent—a very low rent. He should not have got it so cheap but for his covenanting to put so much money in the soil; and well—I'm bound to say he acted fair so far as that—he fulfilled that part of his contract. Nearly two years ago we had a bit of a quarrel about—well, it's no matter what we fell out over—only the upshot of the affair was he gave me due notice to leave at last winter quarter. At that time he owed about a year-and-a-half's rent—for he was a man who never could bear parting with money—and like a fool I did not push him for it. What trick do you suppose he served me for my pains?” It was simply impossible for me to guess, so I did not try. “On the twentieth of December,” went on Miss Gostock, turning her broad face and curly grey hair—she wore her hair short like a man—towards me, “he went over to Whittleby, drew five thousand pounds out of the bank, was afterwards met going towards home by a gentleman named Waite, a friend of his. Since then he has never been seen nor heard of.” “Bless my soul!” I exclaimed involuntarily. “You may be very sure I did not bless his soul,” she snarled out angrily. “The man bolted with the five thousand pounds, having previously sold off all his stock and the bulk of his produce, and when I distrained for my rent, which I did pretty smart, I can tell you, there was scarce enough on the premises to pay the levy.” “But what in the world made him bolt?” I asked, quite unconsciously adopting Miss Gostock's expressive phrase; “as he had so much money, why did he not pay you your rent?” “Ah! Why, indeed?” mocked Miss Gostock. “Young sir, I am afraid you are a bit of a humbug, or you would have suggested at once there was a pretty girl at the bottom of the affair. He left his wife and children, and me—all in the lurch—and went off with a slip of a girl, whom I once took, thinking to train up as a better sort of servant, but was forced to discharge. Oh, the little hussy!” Somehow I did not fancy I wanted to hear anything more about her late tenant and the pretty girl, and consequently ventured to inquire how that gentleman's defalcations bore upon the question of the rent I should have to pay. “I tell you directly,” she said, and as we had by this time arrived at the house, she invited me to enter, and led the way into an old-fashioned parlour that must have been furnished about the time chairs and tables were first invented and which did not contain a single feminine belonging—not even a thimble. “Sit down,” she commanded, and I sat. “I have quite made up my mind,” she began, “not to let the farm again, unless I get a premium sufficient to insure me against the chances of possible loss. I mean to ask a very low rent and—a premium.” “And what amount of premium do you expect?” I inquired, doubtfully. “I want—” and here Miss Gostock named a sum which fairly took my breath away. “In that case,” I said as soon as I got it again, “it is useless to prolong this interview; I can only express my regret for having intruded, and wish you good morning.” And arising, I was bowing myself out when she stopped me. “Don't be so fast,” she cried, “I only said what I wanted. Now what are you prepared to give?” “I can't be buyer and seller too,” I answered, repeating a phrase the precise meaning of which, it may here be confessed, I have never been able exactly to understand. “Nonsense,” exclaimed Miss Gostock—I am really afraid the lady used a stronger term—“if you are anything of a man of business, fit at all to commence farming, you must have an idea on the subject. You shall have the land at a pound an acre, and you will give me for premium—come, how much?” By what mental process I instantly jumped to an amount it would be impossible to say, but I did mention one which elicited from Miss Gostock the remark: “That won't do at any price.” “Very well, then,” I said, “we need not talk any more about the matter.” “But what will you give?” asked the lady. “I have told you,” was my answer, “and I am not given either to haggling or beating down.” “You won't make a good farmer,” she observed. “If a farmer's time were of any value, which it generally seems as if it were not,” I answered, “he would not waste it in splitting a sixpence.” She laughed, and her laugh was not musical. “Come now,” she said, “make another bid.” “No,” I replied, “I have made one and that is enough. I won't offer another penny.” “Done then,” cried Miss Gostock, “I accept your offer—we'll just sign a little memorandum of agreement, and the formal deeds can be prepared afterwards. You'll pay a deposit, I suppose?” I was so totally taken aback by her acceptance of my offer I could only stammer out I was willing to do anything that might be usual. “It does not matter much whether it is usual or not,” she said; “either pay it or I won't keep the place for you. I am not going to have my land lying idle and my time taken up for your pleasure.” “I have no objection to paying you a deposit,” I answered. “That's right,” she exclaimed; “now if you will just hand me over the writing-desk we can settle the matter, so far as those thieves of lawyers will let us, in five minutes.” Like one in a dream I sat and watched Miss Gostock while she wrote. Nothing about the transaction seemed to me real. The farm itself resembled nothing I had ever before seen with my waking eyes, and Miss Gostock appeared to me but as some monstrous figure in a story of giants and hobgoblins. The man's coat, the woman's skirt, the hobnailed shoes, the grisly hair, the old straw hat, the bare, unfurnished room, the bright sunshine outside, all struck me as mere accessories in a play—as nothing which had any hold on the outside, everyday world. It was drawn—we signed our names. I handed Miss Gostock over a cheque. She locked one document in an iron box let into the wall, and handed me the other, adding, as a rider, a word of caution about “keeping it safe and taking care it was not lost.” Then she went to a corner cupboard, and producing a square decanter half full of spirits, set that and two tumblers on the table. “You don't like much water, I suppose,” she said, pouring out a measure which frightened me. “I could not touch it, thank you, Miss Gostock,” I exclaimed; “I dare not do so; I should never get back to Whittleby.” For answer she only looked at me contemptuously and said, “D—d nonsense.” “No nonsense, indeed,” I persisted; “I am not accustomed to anything of that sort.” Miss Gostock laughed again, then crossing to the sideboard she returned with a jug of water, a very small portion of the contents of which she mixed with the stronger liquor, and raised the glass to her lips. “To your good health and prosperity,” she said, and in one instant the fiery potion was swallowed. “You'll mend of all that,” she remarked, as she laid down her glass, and wiped her lips in the simplest manner by passing the back of her hand over them. “I hope not, Miss Gostock,” I ventured to observe. “Why, you look quite shocked,” she said; “did you never see a lady take a mouthful of brandy before?” I ventured to hint that I had not, more particularly so early in the morning. “Pooh!” she said. “Early in the morning or late at night, where's the difference? However, there was a time when I—but that was before I had come through so much trouble. Good-bye for the present, and I hope we shall get on well together.” I answered I trusted we should, and was half-way to the hall-door, when she called me back. “I forgot to ask you if you were married,” she said. “Yes, I have been married some years,” I answered. “That's a pity,” she remarked, and dismissed me with a wave of her hand. “What on earth would have happened had I not been married?” I considered as I hurried down the drive. “Surely she never contemplated proposing to me herself? But nothing she could do would surprise me.” ––––––––
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD