Chapter Five

1084 Words
Chapter Five The Next Afternoon –––––––– Mr. Stainton was trying to work off some portion of his perplexities by pruning the grimy evergreens in front of Walnut-Tree House, and chopping away at the undergrowth of weeds and couch grass which had in the course of years matted together beneath the shrubs, when his attention was attracted to two ladies who stood outside the great iron gate looking up at the house. “It seems to be occupied now,” remarked the elder, turning to her companion. “I suppose the new owner is going to live here. It looks just as dingy as ever; but you do not remember it, Mary.” “I think I do,” was the answer. “As I look the place grows familiar to me. I do recollect some of the rooms, I am sure just like a dream, as I remember Georgie. What I would give to have a peep inside.” At this juncture the new owner emerged from amongst the bushes, and, opening the gate, asked if the ladies would like to look over the place. The elder hesitated; whilst the younger whispered, “Oh, aunt, pray do!” “Thank you,” said Mrs. May to the stranger, whom she believed to be a gardener; “but perhaps Mr. Stainton might object.” “No; he wouldn't, I know,” declared the new owner. “You can go through the house if you wish. There is no one in it. Nobody lives there except myself.” “Taking charge, I suppose?” suggested Mrs. May blandly. “Something of that sort,” he answered. “I do not think he is a caretaker,” said the girl, as she and her relative passed into the old house together. “What do you suppose he is, then?” asked her aunt. “Mr. Stainton himself.” “Nonsense, child!” exclaimed Mrs. May, turning, nevertheless, to one of the windows, and casting a curious glance towards the new owner, who was now, his hands thrust deep in his pockets, walking idly up and down the drive. After they had been all over the place, from hall to garret, with a peep into this room and a glance into that, Mrs. May found the man who puzzled her leaning against one of the pillars of the porch, waiting, apparently, for their reappearance. “I am sure we are very much obliged to you,” she began, with a hesitation in her manner. “Pray do not mention it,” he said. “This young lady has sad associations connected with the house,” May proceeded, still doubtfully feeling her way. He turned his eyes towards the girl for a moment, and, though her veil was down, saw she had been weeping. “I surmised as much,” he replied. “She is Miss Fenton, is she not?” “Yes, certainly,” was the answer; “and you are—” “Edgar Stainton,” said the new owner, holding out his hand. “I am all alone here,” he went on, after the first explanations were over. “But I can manage to give you a cup of tea. Pray do come in, and let me feel I am not entirely alone in England.” Only too well pleased, Mrs. May complied, and ten minutes later the three were sitting round a fire, the blaze of which leapt and flickered upon the walls and over the ceiling, casting bright lights on the dingy mirrors and the dark oak shelves. “It is all coming back to me now,” said the girl softly, addressing her aunt. “Many an hour Georgie and I have sat on that hearth seeing pictures in the fire.” But she did not see something which was even then standing close beside her, and which the new owner had witnessed approach with a feeling of terror that precluded speech. It was the child! The child searching about no longer for something it failed to find, but standing at the girl's side still and motionless, with its eyes fixed upon her face, and its poor, wasted figure nestling amongst the folds of her dress. “Thank Heaven she does not see it!” he thought, and drew his breath, relieved. No; she did not see it—though its wan cheek touched her shoulder, though its thin hand rested on her arm, though through the long conversation which followed it never moved from her side, nor turned its wistful eyes from her face. When she went away—when she took her fresh young beauty out of the house it seemed to gladden and light up—the child followed her to the threshold; and then in an instant it vanished, and Mr. Stainton watched for its flitting up the staircase all in vain. But later on in the evening, when he was sitting alone beside the fire, with his eyes bent on the glowing coals, and perhaps seeing pictures there, as Mary said she and her brother had done in their lonely childhood, he felt conscious, even without looking round, that the boy was there once again. And when he fell to thinking of the long, long years during which the dead child had kept faithful and weary watch for his sister, searching through the empty rooms for one who never came, and then bethought him of the sister to whom her dead brother had become but the vaguest of memories, of the summers and winters during the course of which she had probably forgotten him altogether, he sighed deeply; and heard his sigh echoed behind him in the merest faintest whisper. More, when he, thinking deeply about his newly found relative and trying to recall each feature in her face, each tone of her voice, found it impossible to dissociate the girl grown to womanhood from the child he had pictured to himself as wandering about the old house in company with her twin brother, their arms twined together, their thoughts one, their sorrows one, their poor pleasures one—he felt a touch on his hand, and knew the boy was beside him, looking with wistful eyes into the firelight, too. But when he turned he saw that sadness clouded those eyes no longer. She was found; the lost had come again to meet a living friend on the once desolate hearth, and up and down the wide, desolate staircase those weary little feet pattered no longer. The quest was over, the search ended; into the darksome corners of that dreary house the child's glance peered no longer. She was come! Through years he had kept faithful watch for her, but the waiting was ended now. That night Edgar Stainton slept soundly; and yet when morning dawned he knew that once in the darkness he wakened suddenly and was conscious of a small, childish hand smoothing his pillow and touching his brow. Sweet were the dreams which visited his rest subsequently; sweet as ought to be the dreams of a man who had said to his own soul—and meant to hold fast by words he had spoken: “As I deal by that orphan girl, so may God deal with me!” ––––––––
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD