Chapter 1: Sent Away

4156 Words
                                                                                       Melani January 5, 2198 Streets of Monealth District, South Nozueq City A sea of buildings greeted me in the streets of Nozueq City, the early morning sun waving at me with its glimmering shine. I clipped my badge on my uniform as I stroll through the peaceful yet bitter life of the city. Building emerged with each step I go, towering high in the skies as if they were skyscrapers. Soldiers marched in every city block, patrolling the areas, if not loitering around like they were the boss of the place. I rolled out my eyes as I saw a few of them ganging up on a family in the slums, with no food and only torn pieces of clothing to wear. Despite the immense riches the city had, many are forgotten and abandoned. My gut told me that dealing with them is not a good idea, but my instincts overwhelmed them and I had no choice but to make my way and stop them. Two men stood above them, looking down at them like hunters who had found their prey. “Hey, you two over there,” I called, jutting my chest out for them to see my badge. I am not proud of it, but sometimes, it could be awfully useful. “Leave them alone.” “And who are you?” the man mused. He let go of the child he was holding, tossing him aside like a piece of rug. I swallowed the grumble forming in my voice, glowering over the man with much authority needed.   “I should be the one asking you that, soldiers. Shouldn’t you be in the streets patrolling instead of loitering in the alleys like some rats,” I blurted.   “Are you mocking us, lady?” the other man said, grinning. “Do you think you can take the two of us on your own?”   “Right, like a woman like her can do anything,” the man mocked, chortling. I glared at them with malice, my hands creeping their way to my g*n behind my coat. Out of all the people I could run into, why do I need to run into these spiteful soldiers. They should really learn their lesson.   Instead of pulling my g*n out, I sighed. I straightened myself up, crossing my arms against my chest. “You’re right, I am a woman. A woman whose rank is higher than yours, I am Lieutenant Colonel Melani Rosalina Gustavo of the 2nd squadron of the Nozueq City Air Force and of the 3rd Battalion of Nozueq City Army. Now, soldiers, what squadron does the two of you came from?” I affirmed, giving them an authoritative gaze that made them shiver to their bones.   I looked down upon them as they realize how badly their positions are. From the way they act and how disrespectful they could get, they are cocky sergeants. This means, that they have their squads patrolling and inspecting the area. They might even be a part of a platoon that is in charge of this sector in the city.   Both looked flustered and startled after hearing my name. Their eyes landed on the badge on my chest, pinned on my clothes. They both gulped, straightening themselves and saluting me.   “Sergeant Miguel Ramos of Squad 1 of the Monealth District,” the man who held the child saluted. “Sergeant Raymond Pereze of Squad 2 of the Monealth District,” the other saluted.   I observed them intently, looking at the faults in their posture. For a sergeant, they are not taught enough. They are the soldiers I despise the most. In this galaxy drenched in war, people sure are losing their manners. And their humanity.   “It seems that I have troubled you again with my soldiers, Lieutenant Colonel Melani,” a voice rang behind.   I turned, noticing another man behind. He wore the same uniform and badge as I am. His hair frizzled in black, curls falling off out of his hat. His charcoal eyes gazing at me with a smile curved on his lips.   “Greetings, Lieutenant Colonel Benjamin, I am surprised to find you in this area, I could only guess that you’re here for a patrol,” I greeted, saluting to him.   He saluted back, arms folding behind him back. “Yes, Lieutenant Colonel, I am currently patrolling this area. Since you already know that my battalion is in charge of the southern part of the city. I chose this sector to patrol, knowing that I may run into you,” he explained, his mouth quivering into a grin.   “Are you stalking me?” I asked in a friendly manner. “Not at all, just interested to see how a friend is doing.” “We’re in the same brigade, Benjamin, we always see each other.”   “Not as often as much. You’ve been promoted as Lieutenant Colonel of a squadron in the air force. You have less time than before,” he pointed. “Oh, congratulations.” He quirked, peering on my shoulder.    The two men flinched in surprise, sweat dripping from their foreheads. They’re not expecting to run into two lieutenant colonels today, didn’t they? And from how Benjamin declared his presence, it is enough to know that they are from his battalion.   “I will let the two of you go for now, but if this happens again, I’ll tell your captain to dismiss you for the next patrol, understood?” Benjamin stated.   “Y-yes sir!” they shouted and fled away.   I approached the family in the corner of the alley, looking at their faces. I lowered my head to show how sorry I am for them, but their eyes met mine and I knew at that moment that they are not scared of anything. Instead, there is bitterness and rage in their eyes. Hatred. They despise us.   I swayed my eyes away, trying not to pay attention to it. If I continue to look, the fire in me would only flicker to life. I cannot allow that to happen. Not yet. Not when everything is falling off the cliff.   “Shall I accompany you to the headquarters?” Benjamin offered.   “If it’s okay with you,” I politely answered.   We departed out of the dark alley and headed to the location of the headquarters. Again, the buildings loomed into play. Signs and lights flickering against the morning sun. More people have finally shown out of their houses, walking in haste and avoiding contact with any of the soldiers. A usual scene that you’ll encounter here. I got so used to it, it doesn’t bother me anymore.   “I heard you’d be assigned into a different brigade this year, where would you be assigned?” Benjamin asked.   “The Colonel said I’d be assigned on the Capital City of Metro, in Ilamina,” I replied. “The Lieutenant Colonel I’ll be taking charge will be assigned to a different planet. There seems to be more action going on outside Metro than inside.”   “The revolutionary army has been shut down for now. They may have retreated but that won’t be for long. The Espian army started to do countermeasures in case of a surprise attack from them,” he stated.   Cars rode past by as we cross the intersection. Visual pads floating in the air with holographic pictures displayed. Life diminished when we arrived at the outskirts of the city. Fewer cars drove by this part of the city because they know what lies ahead.   We paused on our tracks, eyeing the warehouse-like building ahead. Jets, planes, and spaceships flying over the horizon and into their designated locations, shooting their engines high above us. The sky is crystal clear, perfect for an aerial patrol of the city.   “I sorely going to miss my subordinates,” I gloomed.   “We’re going to miss you too,” Benjamin said. “Especially Cesar,” he even whispered.   I chuckled, knowing that Cesar wouldn’t let his emotions spew out of him. You really can’t blame him, it’s because of Benjamin’s continuous harassment of him. Well, not literally harassment, more like teasing him to no end.   “Lieutenant Colonel Melani, good morning,” Diana, one of my subordinates greeted.   “Good morning, Lieutenant Diana, what’s our status today?” I asked.   “From the schedule given to me by the colonel, we will have our last aerial patrol today as well as our district patrol. He said he wanted to talk to you later,” Diana enumerated as we walk through the busy corridors of the building.   Ever since the discovery of galaxies and solar systems across the universe, humanity has become open to extraterrestrial life. Habitant planets within different solar systems began to communicate and interact with each other than later formed into an alliance. And in the late 20th century, the galaxy has become one, under the rule of the explorer, John McMillian.   With Metro as the capital planet, the Phillis galaxy—our galaxy became advanced not only in science but also in technology. But, of course, not everything will go smoothly. In the early 21st century, our galaxy is conquered by another galaxy, the Espia, ruled by the Espian Empire.   For almost 200 years, the Espia conquers every planet within our galaxy, making it kneel before them. And the first one to fall in their hands, was the capital planet itself. All the other planets in the galaxy were conquered, some continue to fight against them.   And thus, the war between our galaxies broke, leading to our demise and defeat. Just about a year ago, the revolutionary army of Phillis engaged in a nonstop battle against the forces of Espia that also lead to their defeat. Currently, intel tells us they have retreated and are in hiding somewhere on one planet within the Nozul region.   I have been part of the military for almost two years now. I fought against them before, riding an aircraft in an aerial battle. Even I cooperated with battles that occurred in space. Right now, the Espian Empire has full control of most of the planets in the galaxy.   We passed through a series of halls, soldiers marching their feet in salutation. Diana opened the steel door in front of us, swinging it wide open as it reveals the vast space on the other side. It was almost the size of a field, drones and planes parked side by side on one side of the room, mechanics swiftly making their way to it one by one.   Spaceships the size of a backyard placed on the other side, soldiers carrying heavy boxes and weapons in their arms. My footsteps thudding against the concrete floor and the sun shining in from the open space beyond the base.   “Where’s Cesar? I don’t see him around?” I asked Benjamin as my eyes scatter across the area, with no sign of Cesar anywhere.   “He’s probably already outside waiting for us. I’ll prepare my aerial squad now,” Benjamin answered.   “So do I,” I said, “Diana,”   Diana nodded at me and pulled her whistle out of her neck. She blew the whistle hard, loud. The soldiers stopped from their duties, putting down everything they were carrying, and marched their way to the center of the hangar.   Since this is part of the military hangar is my area, all my soldiers are to be found here, at least all the soldiers I have in my battalion. They lined themselves up in front of me. Majors, Sergeants, and captains lining themselves on the first three lines while the rest are the regular soldiers.   They all saluted, yelling a greeting to me. They straightened their backs, chin up and their hands folded on their side. I folded my hands behind my back, laying my eyes on every soldier present. I gleamed at them with superiority, profound authority that they cannot argue against.   “Since this will be my last patrol with everyone, I want to say a few last words. Do not forget everything that I have taught you. Respect and discipline as well as patriotism for your galaxy. Once I am gone, a new lieutenant colonel will serve you. I hope all things are settled and clear.   “Now, I want the flying squadron and first platoon to be on duty for the aerial and land patrol, are we clear?” I explained.   “Yes, ma’am!” they shouted.   “Good, now go back to work. Those who belong to the flying squadron stay and Lieutenant Franco assemble your platoon in fifteen minutes now.” I ordered before they fully disassemble. “Diana, I leave the land patrol to you.”   I marched out of the hangar, leading out to the open field where the aircraft land and flies up in the air. The sun has completely shown now and the scorching heat beaming against my skin. I raised my head above the sky, looking at the clear clouds.   A perfect day for an aerial patrol. The aircraft I use in our aerial patrols have also been taken out from the hangar, now completely ready to fly up in the atmosphere. Unfortunately, we’re not the ones in charge of outer space patrols around the planet. That’s the job given to the ones in the capital.   I walked up to my aircraft, seeing a man in his military uniform jumping down from the pilot’s seat. So that’s why he’s gone when we came in earlier. He released my aircraft out of the hangar. He may have also tested it out, too.   “Stealing someone else’s aircraft is a crime you know?” I greeted, walking up to him.   “I’m not stealing it, I’m borrowing it,” Cesar corrected, rolling his eyes at me.   I raised a brow at him, giving him a suspicious look. His eyes turned into slits as I gave him the look. He gazed away, moving aside as if ignoring me fully. He ordered one of his soldiers, giving instructions.   “What did you use it for?” I asked. He looked back at me, answering, “Checking to see whether it’s in excellent condition. Why?”   “Cesar, the mechanics can do that,” I pointed.   “I know, but I want to see it on my own eyes. After all, you’re the one who's piloting it today,” he pointed back. He said that with a straight face, not even a hint of shyness or awkwardness.   “Gee, thanks,” I mused.   Aircraft wheeled out of the hangar, pilots in their seats, ready to take off in the lanes. Unlike aircraft before, they made the aircraft we use now out of advanced technology and new resources found from the other planets.   We don’t need oxygen masks or even headphones to communicate, because the glass serving as the windows for the aircraft was developed with minerals and stone from the Nozul region of the galaxy.   I hopped inside the aircraft, pulling my seatbelt around my waist and chest, and held the control wheel in place. I pushed the button beside the control wheel, pressing it, and the cockpit slide close. I turned a few switches on here and there, lights beeping on and off.   Radars and scanners activated in front of me, lines circling in a clockwise direction and dots popping out from every corner of the screen. I pulled the throttles up and the aircraft moved, its wheels sliding across the smooth ground.   Men signaled below me as I position myself on the runway. I pushed the communicator beside me, calling the attention of the flying squadron. “All units of the flying squadron remember your assigned posts. We’ll be back after an hour of aerial patrol,” I announced before finally creaking the engine open.   The aircraft produced engine noises, propellers turned, wind gushing out of it. The craft wheeled on the runway, taking up speed. I pulled the control wheel upwards, the craft slowly rising from the ground.   The aircraft flew, taking up altitude as we reach the clouds above. I stopped, controlling the wheel to steady on the air, with my hands clasped around the wheel. The outside turned blue in a matter of seconds, grey-white clouds filling up as I flew.   “Squadron, do you copy?” I called against the radio.   “Crystal clear, Lieutenant Colonel,” a static voice answered.   “Good, now start the patrol,” I ordered, and I lowered the wheel slowly, lowering the craft down until I found an unobstructed view of the city below.   Clouds disappeared from my sight, turning it into a sea of shining blue and gray. Buildings towering tall against one another, drones flying meters above the ground. The land stretched vastly as military fields came to view, borders filled with soldiers dressed in their uniforms crowded from within.   I turned to aircraft around, making my way to the east of Nozueq City. As color swarmed down below, bright lights shimmered against the sun and the glass from buildings. People danced on the ground with neutral looks in their eyes.   I glanced down at the surrounding radars, checking to see if there are any signs of danger or warnings. Normal beeps resounded from the machine, scanners clear of anything. Looks like today is a peaceful day as well. That’s a good thing to know at least.   An hour passed after we flew in the sky and it is time for us to head back. I called ordered my men to start their landing, starting with the last one to take off and ending with me, the first one who took off.   “Lieutenant Colonel, do you copy?” another static voice rang.   “Loud and clear, sergeant,” I answered, with my voice being low.   “Ready for landing,”   I pushed a few buttons to my side, switching on levers, and steadied the wheel downwards. The craft lowered, its speed gradually slowing down. I aimed the craft on the runway, a man waiting down below wearing a neon-colored vest.   He waved a neon stick up, catching my attention as I flew down. I flick the switch of the aircraft wheels and the craft landed safely, skidding on the runway until it finally halted. My hands loosened their grip on the wheel and I sighed in my seat.   I leaned back, taking a bit of air before I turn off the system and engine and open the cockpit. I freed myself from the seatbelts strapped around my body and jumped off from the craft. Cesar stared at me, his arm crossed, and beside him, Benjamin waved his hand with much enthusiasm.   “You two sure have so much free time in your hands,” I commented as I walk up to them.   “Stars, Melani, you’re just workaholic,” Benjamin insulted, rolling his eyes out.   I rolled my eyes back at him and tossed him my dirty gloves. “Come on, let’s go see the Colonel before we get scolded for being late again,” I mused, with no energy to spare.   “At least take it easy,” Cesar stated as I walk past him. I gave a dismissive wave at them and walked off. The two followed as we head back into the building, making our way to the Colonel’s office.   “It’s my last day here the least you can give me is a goodbye,” I said, chuckling.   “Want us to throw you a goodbye party?” Benjamin joked. “We could use one of those right now,”   “The year has just begun, Ben, do you really think we have time for not?” Cesar hushed.   “Plus, we can’t let our guard down yet. Especially when the Phillis Revolutionary Army is still out there,” I added.   We paused, steps away from an office door as we hear rumbling from the inside. We exchanged glances, giving each other a nudge before they finally give me the look. I sighed, my shoulder slacking before I knock on the door three times.   “Come in,” a man’s voice answered.   I opened to door open, entering the room and closing it swiftly before I announce myself in the room. “Lieutenant Colonel Melani reporting for duty, sir!” I saluted, raising my palm up to my forehead.   Benjamin and Cesar did the same thing as our bodies straightened like those of our soldiers. The Colonel wore a uniform, with its olive green color and badges pinned in his chest. He sat on his seat at the desk, looking through papers while holding a link in his hand.   Foreign words rang from the link before the Colonel ended the call and set it down the desk. He let out a frustrating sigh before batting an eye on us, still standing in the middle of the room.   "It is really a good thing to see the three of you together but I must break this pleasant atmosphere we had. I know you already know why the three of you are being called correct?" Colonel Roni said.   "I will be assigned in a different sector, yes?" I concurred.   "The truth is, I do not wish to give you away. This will be the first time they will separate the three of you since boot camp,"   "It is a shame, Colonel, but what's done is done," Cesar gloomed.   "Seriously, can't the two of you not be this gloomy. It's not like we won't be seeing each other again. Right, Melani?"   "We could still talk through our links," I stated.   "You will be transported to Ilumina tomorrow morning. You are assigned as the Lieutenant Colonel of the 3rd Battalion and 2nd aerial squadron. Is it clear?" the Colonel informed.   "Yes, sir!" I affirmed.   "Then, you are free to go. You can spend the rest of your day however you want," the Colonel said and waved his hand to us. We bowed our heads slightly before leaving the room and giving the Colonel back his time.   "Oh and Melani, catch," the Colonel called in the last minute. I turned, holding the doorknob in one hand. Colonel Roni tossed me a link, and I caught it with my hand. "Since they connected your link to the channel system of Espia, I thought I could give you one as a farewell gift."   "Thank you, Colonel," I smiled. "I appreciate it."   "Be an outstanding soldier over there, okay,"   "Yes, sir!" I saluted before exiting the room.                                                                                         *****   I checked the new link the Colonel gave me after I went home. My co-workers never let me leave without partying or having a farewell party so they threw me one in the nearest bar from the military base.   As the life of the brigade, Benjamin made the entire party more enthusiastic than it should be. In the end, both he and the rest of the others got wasted. Cesar volunteered to bring him home, but I suggested he should take Benjamin home instead. He had tendencies to wake up in a dumpster when not handled.   Just like the Colonel said, the link does not connect to the channel system. It's an independent link, which can be used in different kinds of ways without the Espian knowing. Like being incognito.   A loud ringing tone echoed from the corner of my bed. I dived towards it, taking a large device along with an old link attached to it. I touched the screen, swiping for the call button. I answered it and a voice quickly called from the other end of the line.   "Melani of Nozueq?"  the man on the other end of the line called.   "Melani of Nozueq answering," I hummed. "Who am I speaking to?"   "Should you really be that serious, loosen up. It's me Jose of the revolutionary army," Jose said.   "Oh, you, I was just about to call the revolutionary army when you called," I stated. "Please tell the commanders that I'll be assigned to a different battalion starting tomorrow."   "Where?"    "Ilumina,"   "What? You're basically in the center of Metro! Looks like you'll become even more useful,"  he gushed.   "Like I always intend to be," I quoted. "Because I am a revolutionary spy."                                                                                             *****                                                                                    End of Chapter
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD