Chapter 14

1991 Words
The Basilis snarled, slithering to the back of the courtyard, waiting for the Duggers to take care of the intruders. Haven gasped when she saw the monstrous beast and flew high in the sky. The fairy hoped she was high enough for the monster to get her and watched over the battle below. Three Duggers advanced toward Isabel, and the other three lurked toward Ray. Isabel swallowed hard, looking at the Earth Guardian, and he nodded. The girl nodded and looked at the creatures angrily. The monsters snarled at her, and one of them swiped an ugly claw. Swiftly, Isabel dodged the claw, spun around, and sliced one of the beast’s arms with her blade. The Dugger snarled at her and charged toward her. Isabel snapped her whip at one of the other creatures, and the weapon wrapped around its neck as the charging monster tackled her to the ground. She landed on her backside hard, pulling the whip, and the beast started screeching. The Dugger that had tackled her to the ground pulled its arm back, and she scrambled out from underneath it. Quickly, Isabel jumped to her feet, and the creature spun around as the wounded Dugger disappeared. The Dugger snarled as it turned around, and the third mutant roared behind her. Quickly, Isabel glanced around and saw that she could use the large tree branch to her advantage. Both Duggers were in front of her now, lurking toward her. Isabel backed away slowly, and the monsters positioned themselves, ready to attack. Isabel waited until the beasts started to charge at her, and she ran for the giant branch. The monsters stopped charging and ran after her. She ran as fast as she could and leaped into the air. Swiftly, she pushed off the log with her foot and directed herself toward one of the Duggers. The creature looked at her in surprise, and Isabel threw her foot out as hard as she could. Her foot made contact with the Dugger’s jaw, and its head snapped to the side with a sickening c***k. The creature hit the ground, unmoving. The Dugger disappeared as Isabel landed on the ground, and the last monster grabbed her from behind. She screamed and kicked her legs as they flailed backward, and then the beast slammed the girl against the tree branch. Her body hit the hard wood, and Isabel groaned as she slid to the ground. Immediately, the Dugger crawled on top of her and slammed its claw into the side of her face. Her face hit the dirt, and her vision went blurry. Isabel felt like this was it for her. She had failed. Delete Created with Sketch. Haven gasped as she watched the Dugger throw Isabel against the log, and the fairy cringed when she saw the beast punch her in the face. The Fairy Guardian hung her head after she saw the Dugger walk away from the girls still body and sighed sadly. Delete Created with Sketch. Through blurry vision, Isabel saw the Dugger lurking away and realized she wasn’t dead yet. This was not the end. You can’t let them win. Get up and end this! Isabel told herself, gritting her teeth, and started moving her limbs. Everything seemed okay, but her arm. It felt broken. Courageously, Isabel pushed herself to her hands and knees and laughed as she watched blood drip onto the sand. She had a gash on her head and a busted lip. She got to her feet and staggered as she looked at the beast. “Hey!” Isabel breathed, and the creature turned toward her, growling. “I’m not dead yet,” she noted, holding her arm close to her side. The Dugger roared at the girl and charged toward her. This time Isabel was ready, grabbing her whip with her good arm. Surprisingly, she didn’t feel pain, just pure adrenaline. As soon as the beast was close enough, Isabel cracked her whip, and the end wrapped around its throat. The creature snarled as she pulled back on the weapon, and the Dugger grabbed the glowing rope. Surprisingly, it was pulling her closer, snarling at her, and Isabel tried to plant her feet, but she couldn’t get any traction. “Well, that new,” she breathed as the Dugger pulled her closer and closer. Suddenly, Isabel had an idea. She stopped resisting and ran at the creature. The Dugger gave her a confused look, and the girl tackled it to the ground. Isabel snarled as she wrapped the rest of the rope around the Dugger’s neck. The beast snarled and slammed its claw into her broken arm. She winced, rolling off the monster, but it quickly grabbed her by the throat and squeezed. Isabel gasped for air as the Dugger began to shake, and the beast disappeared. Isabel inhaled deeply as she looked up at the sky with wide eyes and then began to cry. Delete Created with Sketch. Haven sighed in relief as she watched Isabel defeat the last Dugger, but the fairy was concerned because the girl barely moved after that. Delete Created with Sketch. Ray nodded to Isabel and faced the three Duggers advancing toward him. They growled, and without hesitation, Ray ran at the beasts. The Guardian swiped two of the creatures with his green claws, and the third Dugger grabbed him. Swiftly, Ray used the air element and lifted him and the monsters in the air. The Duggers howled in fear as the beast let go of Ray, and the Earth Guardian sent the creatures to the ground. Slowly, Ray landed on one of the elemental boulders and felt a charge of Earth Energy. He leaped off the rock and landed on one of the Duggers. Ray slammed his fist into the creature’s chest, and the beast crumbled to pieces and disappeared. A ring of green mystic power shot out from the impact, hitting the two remaining Duggers, and reached the Basilis. The monstrous serpent pulled its body together and snarled at Ray. The Guardian of Earth ignored the beast and focused on the two Duggers. They had been knocked to the ground by the green blast, and the creatures scrambled to their feet and roared. Ray chuckled and then ran at one of the beasts. As soon as he reached the mutant, the other creature grabbed him and threw him across the courtyard. The guardian hit the castle wall and slid to the ground, groaning. Quickly, he got to his feet and shook his head. The monsters snorted, lurking toward Ray, and he looked around. Cleverly, he smirked as he saw that one of the elemental boulders was nearby. Ray glanced at the Duggers and then ran for the rock. The beats started running toward him, and Ray leaped onto the boulder. The Earth Guardian felt the surge of energy, and he looked at the monsters with glowing green eyes. He jumped off of the rock and in between the two creatures. Before the Duggers could react, Ray stabbed them both in the chest, snarling. The monsters squealed, convulsed, and then disappeared. Breathing heavily, Ray looked over at Isabel and saw her lying on the ground. Quickly, he ran over to her and knelt beside her. “Are you okay?” he asked, and Isabel rolled over. “I think my arm is broken, but other than that, I am great,” she groaned, and Ray looked at her with care. Suddenly, they heard the Basilis snarl, and Isabel sat up. “We aren’t done yet,” she said, and she and Ray looked at the monster with wide eyes. Delete Created with Sketch. “So, what is this about?” asked Belhazur, standing at the door, and Catalina looked at him. “My general needed help getting rid of the pain in his heart that you put there,” she scolded, sitting on the edge of the bed, and the demon king looked at her suspiciously. “Are you sure that is all he wanted?” Catalina looked at him and nodded. “It has taken him a long time to let go of that girl, and now, because of you, he has to face her again,” she explained, and Belhazur only nodded. “Did you pick him to be your general because of his skills or because you have a soft spot for broken-hearted strays?” asked the King of Chaos, and Catalina blinked at him. Belhazur chuckled, walking over to the side of the bed, and then sat next to her. “You know, when I pick the woman I want as my queen, I expect a lot of things from her, and I will not let no man or creature take my queen away,” he stated, taking Catalina’s face in his palms. “Now, you must understand that I have chosen you to be my queen, and no broken-hearted stray will take that away from me.” Catalina searched the demon king’s eyes and wondered what he was planning. “Not to worry. Damian is my general and needs to keep his head straight.” “Well, for his sake, I suggest it stay that way,” he whispered, and Catalina only nodded. Delete Created with Sketch. Damian got home and morphed into his human form. He felt a lot better after seeing Catalina and smiled at Xavier and Lashanna, walking into the living room. “Hi!” he cheerfully said, and Lashanna eyed him suspiciously. “Hi?” she asked, and Damian nodded as he walked into the kitchen. “Okay. Who are you, and what have you done with my moody brother?” asked Xavier. Damian laughed as he opened the fridge and grabbed a beer. “Guys. I just got back from seeing Cat, and she made me feel better,” he said, popping the top off the bottle and sitting on the couch. “What did she do for you?” asked Xavier, and Damian took a swig. “She made the heartache go away,” he stated, and Lashanna glared at him. “Like last time?” she asked, and Damian nodded. Angrily, Lashanna scoffed and crossed her arms. “Do you remember what happened last time when her spell wore off, and you wouldn’t come out of your room for days?” she asked, throwing her arms in the air, and Damian looked at her sadly. “Look, this is just for the time being until after the war, and then like last time, I have the two of you to help me through it.” Xavier looked at Damian seriously and searched his brother’s eyes. “You know we are both here for ya, man, but why do you keep doing this to yourself?” he asked, and Damian looked at him sincerely. “When I feel the pain of losing her again, it reminds me that I am still alive. I know she loved me, and that’s what keeps me going,” he explained sadly, and Lashanna looked at Damian with tears. She walked over to him and crawled into his lap, wrapping her arms around his neck. “Listen. I love you, but you shouldn’t be putting yourself through all of this. I loved Ashta with all of my heart, and it hurts like hell, but a little less each day. I know she is happy and still keeps us in her heart, but Damian, hearts aren’t hurt like that, and you keep breaking yours,” Lashanna said, hugging him tightly. Damian rubbed her back gently and sighed. “I know, and once this is all over with, I won’t see Catalina anymore,” he stated, and Lashanna pulled back. She and Xavier looked at him seriously. “You promise?” Damian nodded, and Lashanna smiled, crawling off his lap. “Now, who’s hungry?” Xavier asked, smirking, and Lashanna and Damian laughed.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD