Chapter Two

1797 Words
-Kingston POV-  I stare at my ceiling. Fixated on it unable to sleep.   “What’s wrong baby?” Evelin asks.  She gets close and puts a hand on my bare chest.  “I’m fine.” I say sitting up and look at her. “Why are you still here?”  “Sorry, I fell asleep.” She gets up and starts to put her clothes on.  Evelin is in a way, my temporary girlfriend. She knows that I don’t want her as a mate. I told her this but she still agreed to be with me. She hasn’t found a mate either so in a way it works perfectly for us. Our relationship is more of a physical one, nothing more.   “Are you sure you don’t need me for a bit longer?” She asks getting on the bed and crawling towards me.   I sigh and lean back on the bed. “No.”   (At this point, I really don’t think she’ll do it for me.)  I’m a hard ass and one thing I don’t like doing is getting hung up on a female. And I never do. But all I have been thinking about is that redhead bombshell. And I don’t like it one bit.  Evelin leans down. Her long blond strands fall on me. Her big blue eyes pierce into mine. She gives me a smile.   “Ok, see you at breakfast.” She kisses me with a little too much passion and then gets up.  “I won’t be at breakfast. I have a meeting early today.” I say.  “Oh, well then see you when you come back.” She says. She blows me a kiss and leaves.  ‘Better?’ I ask Azrael, my wolf.  ‘I guess.’ He mumbles sounding grumpy.  Last night, he was in a really bad mood. I went for a run but it didn't help much. At our age, the only thing that can calm us is a mate. But we don’t have one so Evelin is the only close thing to that. Most male Alphas have a mate by the time they reach 21, but I haven’t found anyone I want yet.  I get up, brush my teeth and get in the shower. My muscles ache. I spent all day yesterday morning and afternoon training.  I tend to pour myself into my training to get all my stress and anger out. Most Alphas need a mate early on because of this. I am twenty-six, and to this day, my wolf hasn’t been interested in any female to have as a mate. I swear at some point I thought he was gay and I was panicking.  ‘f**k you.’ Azrael, my wolf growls at me.  I don’t blame him. I haven’t liked anyone like that either. The problem with not having a mate is that I have had to train extra hard on controlling my emotions. Having a mate helps with that but since I don’t, I have to do it all by myself. It drains me sometimes. And that’s where Evelin comes to help. But I won’t settle. I won’t take anyone as my mate until I am completely sure that I want them and that they are the one for me.  No Alpha will pass their pack to their son without a mate. But my father died when I was seventeen. So there was no other choice,  I took the pack without a mate.  I get out of the shower. I dry up and head out to my room.  “Mom!” I shout when I see her in my room.   I quickly put the towel around my waist.  “Oh please. I have whipped your butt and seen all that.” She says putting some of my clothes on the bed.  “Yea doesn’t mean a thing.” I say.  I look at her and she looks so frail. When an Alpha loses his mate or he dies leaving his mate behind, the one that is alive dies a slow death. Most can’t make it past three years but my mom has been able to hang in there for nine. But she is weak, frail, and always sick. Not to mention the sadness that she’s carried all these years. I don’t think she’ll make it another year to be honest.  I smile and walk over to her. I kiss her in the head gently. “What is it, mom.” I say softly.  “I just wanted to help you get ready.” She looks up at me and smiles.  “When you wear this, you remind me of your dad.” She says.  It’s a blue suit. He always used to wear blue suits.   I smile and nod. “I’ll wear this.”  She smiles. “Good.” She pats me on the shoulder and leaves.  I sigh. I take the suit and put it on. I fix my hair and start to head out. I walk down the stair and out to where my car is all ready to go.  Grayson, my younger brother, walks out of the forest all sweaty in only his shorts.  “You were out for a run?” I ask him.  He smiles. “Yep. You going to that meeting?”  “Yea and no, you are not going.” I say.  “Oh come on. I’m on the prowl for a mate. Maybe I can find one there.” He says with a huge smile.  “Nope, you’re staying here.”  He sighs. “You are so annoying sometimes.”  I smile. “Go take care of mom.”  He smiles back and walks away.   He is twenty and he looks just like me but obviously a bit younger. He has black hair like mine, blue eyes, and tanned skin. But unlike me, he has a shaved clean face while I have a short well-groomed stubble. I am also much bigger than him.   He heads inside and I head to the car. Jack, my Beta starts driving.   “Do you trust that she will actually give you the land back?” Jack asks.  “Yea. I know she didn’t like the idea of it but I know she keeps her word. She is like her father on that.”  I met him a couple of times for pack business before he died. I remember back then. When I learned of the attack, I sent a group of warriors to help but to my surprise, Alana had already taken care of it. I was impressed that such a young girl was able to lead a pack like that.  I think of that day I met her. That tight white dress she had on was... well, it left me without words. The way she carried herself and the way she talked demanded respect. I can’t deny that I felt... enticed. The thing I liked the most is how easily she would get angry. I tend to like a challenge. I don’t think that I have ever looked forward to a meeting before.  Azrael growls a little turned on thinking about her. ‘She is definitely a beauty.’ He says.  I nod agreeing. The thoughts he put inside my head that day during the meeting pissed me off a bit. We were in the middle of an important discussion and it took all I had to focus because of him and her. She was sitting right in front of me, making it even harder... literally.  After thirty minutes, Jack turns into a narrow dirt road in the woods. After another two minutes, we arrive.  I get out and head to the field that lies in front of me.   “This is where they asked us to meet but looks like they aren’t here yet.” Jack says.  I lean on the car waiting.   “So Jack, I’ve seen you spending a lot of time with Sarah.” I say.  He smiles and his cheeks go pink. He is the same age as me along with Hudson, my Gamma. Jack has brown hair, light skin, and green eyes while Hudson has dark skin, brown hair, and hazel eyes.  I sent Hudson to attend to some matters in another allied pack. He should be back in a few days.  He shakes his head. “Don’t ask me. I’m really confused, so I myself don’t even know.”  I smile.   I tend to be strict, especially when we have pack business but Jack is one of my best friends. I don’t really have many friends. As an Alpha, you really can’t trust many people.  “What about you? Is Evelin still not an option?” He asks.  I shake my head. “No. She and I just have an agreement. That’s it.”  He sighs. “Maybe that’s it for you. But I don’t think she sees it the same way.”  I shrug my shoulders feeling a little irritated. “She already knows where I stand.”  He nods. “And the pretty redhead Alpha?” He smirks.  I give him a side glance. “What about her?” I say in a warning tone.  He chuckles. “Nothing. I just noticed how amused you looked when you met her.”  I look away and don’t respond. We stay quiet and we wait for a few more minutes until we see movement in the forest. We all stand there watching until a wolf comes out.  “Who is that?” I ask carefully watching. All my warriors stand in a defensive position.   We watch the wolf get closer but he doesn't look right. He stumbles around and looks hurt.  “It’s a werewolf. Smells like one of Alana's pack.” Jack says as the wolf gets closer.  The wolf collapses a few feet from us. We slowly walk towards him and he starts to shift. He is badly injured.   “Are you okay? What happened?” I ask kneeling down.  “... Run.” He says weakly. “It was... a trap... my Alpha was hit.”  My eyes widen. I see he has bullets wounds. 'Probably silver. Humans!' Azrael shouts.  I get up and look in the direction he came from.   (She needs help.)  I’m about to move but then I feel a sharp pain in my neck.  I grunt and fall on my knees. “What the f**k!”  I take something that looks like a needle out of my neck. “A tranquilizer dart?”  ‘What... is that?’ Azrael asks weakly.  I look at the distance where a man with a black rifle-looking gun steps out with ten others following him.  “Kingston!” I hear Jack shouting. Then, my vision blurs and darkness takes me. 
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD