Chapter Fifteen

1522 Words
Chapter Fifteen When we returned home, Dad immediately went down into the Lab to contact the government, while I returned to my room to rest and relax. But first, I explained to Mom why we had returned from training so early. I tried to make the fact that a flying killer robot had tried to kill me sound not quite as bad as it was, but Mom was still worried by the time I finished explaining it to her and she was in no mood to listen to my constant reassurances that I was okay and hadn't been badly hurt. I did, however, let her wash my super suit, mostly because it was really dirty and smelled bad and needed the wash. For the next couple of hours, the atmosphere in our house was very tense. I fully expected Master Chaos to show up at any moment and kick down our front door, or for more of those government robots to fly over our house and blow it up with missiles. Dad didn't seem that worried; at least I didn't think he was, considering how he did not come out of his Lab with any bad news. I tried to pass the time by playing games on my phone, but I found it hard to focus on them because I was so worried about Master Chaos. Almost getting killed by his robot had completely changed the way I looked at Master Chaos. His threat—both to my life and to my family's safety—suddenly seemed a lot more real than it had just a few hours ago. I wasn't sure how to take it. I normally wasn't one to stress over things, but this was different because my safety, and the safety of my family, was at risk. After what seemed like forever, I heard a knock at my door. Sitting up in my bed, I said, “Who is it?” “It's me,” said Dad's voice from the other side of the door. “Can I come in? I have some updates for you.” “All right,” I said. “Let yourself in.” The door opened and Dad stepped inside. He was no longer wearing his Genius costume or helmet, thus revealing his worried face, which made him look older than he really was. He closed the door behind him, but did not come closer to my bed. “So?” I said. “What's the news?” “I contacted the NHA, who said they would deliver this information to the G-Men,” said Dad. “I was told that the government will probably send someone to pick up the robot's remains later today and haul them to whatever secret facility the government has.” “Did you learn anything about what the robot was?” I said. “Like, what kind of weapon it's supposed to be?” Dad sighed and rubbed his forehead. “I don't know much about it, but when Master Chaos stole those weapons from that facility, the government did share a few details about the weapons with the NHA, who then shared it with me so I'd know what Master Chaos might send after us.” “What kind of details?” I said. “Well, the weapons are part of a top-secret government project known as Project Neo,” said Dad. “They're supposed to be the next generation of high-tech military weaponry, including some of the first humanoid robots designed to be deployed onto a battlefield during war. I don't know the exact number of weapons Master Chaos managed to steal, but I do know that he stole a lot.” “Project Neo?” I said. “Will the government be able to use the remains of the robot we destroyed to track down Master Chaos?” “Possibly, but I doubt it,” said Dad. “Chaos may have programmed the robot to go after you, but I am under the impression, based on what I've been told, that the robot doesn't record the location of its programmer in its coding. Regardless, this doesn't change the fact that Master Chaos will likely send more of these things after you soon.” “Then what am I supposed to do?” I said. “Hide and hope he doesn't get us?” Dad shook his head, pushing his glasses back up the bridge of his nose. “No. We need to continue your training no matter what Master Chaos does. But I have to admit that this is starting to look grim. I can only imagine that this must be part of Chaos's plan, a plan I wish I understood better.” “Do you think he knows our secret identities?” I said. “Because if he does—” “Unlikely,” said Dad, interrupting me. “As I said earlier, I think it far more likely that he wants to ensure there are no neoheroes in Silvers who can stop him from harming us. Or maybe he was testing out the robot to see how it worked in actual combat.” “Well, it obviously didn't work very well,” I said, “considering how easily we defeated it.” “Maybe, but one fact I know about Chaos is that, unlike other villains, he doesn't do the same thing over and over when it's shown to fail the first time,” said Dad. “No doubt he'll try something even more sinister later, though what, I cannot say, because he is very unpredictable.” “Wait, what if he shows up here while we're out training and attacks Mom?” I said. “She can't defend herself. She doesn't have powers like us.” “Valerie has been defending the house while we've been out,” said Dad. “Remember, I have her hooked up to the house's security system. She scans any and all people who come to or near the house to ensure that they aren't threats. If Master Chaos should ever come up to our front door while we're away, Valerie should keep him busy long enough for us to return and beat him ourselves.” I was doubtful that Valerie could hold off someone like Master Chaos for very long, but Dad seemed confident that she could, so I didn't push the question any further. Instead, I said, “So will the NHA be sending people to help us? Because if Master Chaos is so close by, then don't you think we should get some backup?” “It wouldn't surprise me if the NHA does send some members to search the nearest towns and cities for Master Chaos,” said Dad. “And I expect the G-Men to do the same, because they're also on the case. It may be inevitable at this point, especially if Master Chaos is as close as we think.” “Does this mean I won't be able to go back to school anymore?” I said. “Is school still safe?” “I believe so, but we'll need to take extra precautions,” said Dad. “Master Chaos is unpredictable, but if he is willing to attack us so brazenly like that, then I doubt he'll hesitate to attack a high school full of innocent kids who don't have any super powers of their own.” “Maybe I shouldn't go to school at all, then,” I said. “I don't want to put anyone else's life at risk because of me.” “I understand what you mean, but I think staying home would not be a wise decision,” said Dad. “You still need to pursue your education, regardless of what Master Chaos chooses to do. I will speak with the NHA and the government about ways in which we might keep your school safe.” My shoulders slumped. I had hoped that Dad would agree that I shouldn't go to school, but I guess I should have seen that answer coming. I lay back down on my bed and sighed. “So, will we be resuming my training later or tomorrow?” I said. “I don't think we'll be doing any more training for the rest of the weekend,” said Dad. “I need to consult with the NHA and the G-Men about this recent turn of events. But I don't want you to leave the house until Monday when you have to go to school.” I sighed, but said, “Okay, I won't. What am I going to do until then?” “Whatever you want,” said Dad, who didn't sound very concerned about it. “Just try to enjoy the weekend, like a normal teenage boy.” “Normal?” I said, looking up at Dad in disbelief. “Dad, how many normal teenage boys have super powers?” “You know what I mean,” said Dad. “Anyway, I need to leave and speak with the NHA and G-Men about this again. Mom wanted me to let you know that dinner will be ready soon.” With that, Dad left my room, closing the door behind him on the way out. I didn't move from my position on my bed. I just stared up at the ceiling, feeling so frustrated and helpless. I had thought that moving to Texas was going to be boring, but it felt like I had never had a moment of boredom since arriving. And I wasn't sure I liked that, because safe boredom seemed better than the constant stress that seemed to follow me wherever I went. I was getting tired of this. Tired of Master Chaos playing us in the shadows, never knowing when he was going to strike. I hated feeling like a scared little kid. And I knew this feeling would never leave me as long as Master Chaos was out there plotting my demise. Yeah, I knew the NHA and the G-Men were on it, but what had they done so far to stop Chaos? Not much, as far as I could tell. Chaos had even stolen some secret military weapons right from under the government's nose, for Pete's sake. How could I rely on the NHA or the G-Men to protect me if they couldn't even prevent a simple theft like that? It was obvious that something had to be done. Master Chaos needed to be stopped. And it wasn't the NHA or the G-Men who would stop him. If Master Chaos wanted me, then he was going to get me … but on my terms. And I was already thinking of a plan that would allow me to find him, whether or not Dad or anyone else approved.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD