Hard to Believe

2247 Words
(Killians POV) Stupid, stupid , stupid! What was the matter with me?! I don't know for sure if that girl saw me under the street lamp tonight, but if she did and Vyla gets word I'm in deep s**t. Stalking a prospective student doesn't really fall under the duties of my job title. I paced my room on the 8th floor of the academy dorms, grateful not to have a roommate. I just couldn't help it! I was intrigued by this girl beyond rational thinking. I can guarantee the energy ping came from her apartment this morning. I searched the room while she was in the shower and the magic footprint was definitely that of witch. When Vyla said the ping she sensed was erratic I just assumed this was a young witch playing sorcerer, but Vyla suspected the girl was completely ignorant of her own heritage. After this morning in the Cafe, I'm sure she's right. The girl looked totally creeped out when I handed her the card. Whatever, not my issue anymore. If she calls the card at least it's not my job to answer, and if she comes to this school it's definitely my job to keep myself away. (Addisons POV) I lay in bed with my eyes still shut and wondered why the sun wasn't blasting my face . Most mornings the bright intensity illuminated red through my eyelids, then I remembered that I closed my curtains last night. Questioning what time it was I cracked an eye open to check the radio clock. s**t, that’s right. Memories of yesterday flooded back, and I shut my eye again letting out a groan. So what if I slept in I thought, I needed the rest and I don't have work anyway. I let out a yawn and sat up to get my bearings. My eyes landed on the window and I thought back to last night again, and the man under the street lamp. I had to laugh at myself, really Addison? So some guy was standing on the street corner and you happened to see him . He was probably waiting on a friend or something. Leave it to me to create panic out of nothing. Standing up I slipped on my slippers and tugged the curtain open, bright rays flooding into the room. That's more like it. I shuffled off to the kitchen to make the coffee and plan the rest of my day starting with a trip to the store for a new alarm radio. I grabbed the coffee pot and shifted to the sink to fill it with water , but when my slipper caught on the other the glass pot slipped from my hands. NO! I thought loudly. The coffee pot never hit the ground though. It was suspended in midair , halfway between my hand and the floor while my heart hammered behind my chest. I stood as motionless as the pot, just staring at it. I blinked hard , drawing in a shuddery breath and that’s when everything resumed. The pot shattered as its glass made company amongst the kitchen tile and then the lights went out. I don't know how long I was out but it couldn't have been long , the water from the coffee pot was still warm when I started mopping it up off the floor. Even though my head was throbbing where I most certainly hit it , my thoughts were clear as day. I finished up mopping , rung the towel out into the sink then swept the glass into the garbage. Then I grabbed the hard grey business card from my cardigan on the floor, and went with phone in hand to the dining table. I sat staring at it for 20 minutes or so . "When you want to figure it out call this number". I replayed those words over, and over again. Honestly what's the worst that could happen? The card was given to the wrong girl and I sound like a lunatic? Ha! What's one more odd occurrence in my life this week anyhow. Screw it, I'm calling. I punched in the numbers and waited for the ring, but all I heard was loud static followed by a click. The hell? OK…trying again. Same thing. Huh. "I heard you the first time!" a sharp voice rang out from behind me. I whirled around fast, so fast I fell right off my chair and onto the floor. I instinctively scrambled backwards hitting my back against the table, shakily I rose to my feet . "Who are you and what the hell are you doing in my house?!" I yelled at the middle aged woman before me. She smiled warmly and took a step towards me, stopping when she saw me tense. "My name is Vyla. Ms. Vyla Calder, head of Calder Academy for the Gifted. Your name is?" I barely heard a word she said over the pounding in my ears. "Your name?" the woman repeated. Finding my voice I responded "Addison. Addison Celt. Still wondering why you're in my suite." She pursed her lips and eyed me in amusement. “Tell me Miss. Celt, has anything otherworldly happened to you recently, for example yesterday? Say, oh I don’t know…around 5 am?” The clock. How the s**t does this lady know about the clock? Is my place wired?! I glanced around surreptitiously looking for cameras and feeling a leap past violated. I heard her clear her throat and flicked my eyes back to settle upon her. Something in her face told me lying was not the best choice to make here. “Um. My radio alarm busted apart on its own yesterday morning, but I’d call that defective rather than otherworldly…I’m sorry I have to ask, what is this all regarding? I still don’t understand how you got in or why you’re even here.” She folded her hands in front of herself, and stood up an inch taller. “Miss. Celt I have the gift of sense. I can sense lies, I can sense emotions, and I can also sense where and when magic is used. What you may not know is that when magic is expelled it leaves behind traces called a magic footprint. Yesterday morning I sensed am erratic mess of magic coming from this location. Probably dispersed through frustration. I sent a member of my administrative team here to locate and identify the magic user, and type of supernaturally gifted individual who possessed it. After brief assessment we’ve come to the conclusion that individual was you. You must know that using magic uncontrolled the way you did yesterday is not only dangerous to others and yourself but highly detrimental. Therefore I assume you’re ignorant of your heritage. Tell me , has anyone never taught you control?” I wasn’t sure to laugh or faint. What was this broad on about?! Magic? “Ha. Ok who set you up to this? Was it the jerk from Daisy’s yesterday? Maybe Marleigh? I don’t buy for a second any of this Harry Potter mumbo jumbo you’re putting down and I’d like you to leave now please before I call the authorities.” I said with as much confidence as I could muster. I met her eyes with my own steel and half expected her to admit to the prank or just leave. What I didn’t expect however, was for her to turn towards my kitchen sink, and without moving a muscle simply lift a dirty cream plate out of the basin and drop it back in the water seemingly with her eyes. Oh God… “Miss Celt!” I felt a sharp sting on my cheek as though someone had slapped me. What a f****d up dream ugh. “There you are!” Belted a chipper voice. No, no, no! I sprang my eyes open wide and sat up too fast. Ow! My head. Did I seriously faint AGAIN today? I hope this isn’t becoming my new normal. “Questions, comments, concerns?” Vyla-or well, Ms. Calder I suppose, asked me. “About a million yes" I laughed nervously. “How did you move the plate?” I asked. “Mental telepathy my dear, the same way you ‘punched’ your clock yesterday without touching it. A common ability amongst witches. How old are you, and what were your parents gifts may I ask?” My parents gifts? Is she trying to say dad and mom had powers like this? Impossible…they were the most simple and normal of middle age folk in all of Grey’s County…right? I’d have to focus more on that later , right now this lady was dishing out, pardon the pun, more than I could mentally keep up with . “I’m 19…and I know nothing of my parents being gifted. They passed in a car wreck when I was 13...I’ve been on my own since.” I replied reluctantly and cleared my throat. “Wait , did you say ‘witches' ?!” I yelled incredulously. Vyla simply laughed. “Yes Miss. Celt , your magical footprint left behind yesterday was mental telepathy, an ability common amongst witches everywhere. I’m not surprised to hear you’re 19 , most witches come into their abilities as early as 17 to as late as 21. You’re right where you should be. Though I give my condolences about your parents it sheds light onto your ignorance and lack of magical control. I’d like you to consider a semester at the Academy. We teach all those with supernatural abilities as I said previously.” I considered her words and as crazy as this all was I somehow believed her. I couldn’t explain any of the things that occurred in the last 24 hours, let alone her trick with the plate. Was I really considering this?! Before I could respond she went on to say “ I can see your wheels turning but I guarantee you my academy is as real as it is superior. You’ll have rooming and board, monthly allowance, tuitions covered by the S.E.A , also known as the Supernatural Educative Association. Best of all you’ll have a place to belong surrounded by those who understand you. What do you think Addison?” Sucking in a deep breath I smoothed my robe down with shaking hands and nodded my head. “OK. I’ll do it" Half an hour later, and a duffle of all my belongings slung over my left shoulder I walked out of my room to stand in front of Vyla. “That’s everything?” She asked eyeing my duffel quizzically. “Yup.” I said popping the ‘p' at the end. I didn’t care to rehash how after my parents died , I refused to keep much of sentiment. When you have nothing and nobody, you can’t lose anything or anyone. Shrugging her shoulders she turned from me. I assumed she would open to door and I’d follow her down the steps to whatever method of transportation we’d be taking to the Academy. Instead , I watched as she lifted her right palm, a green haze of shimmery mist appearing before us. My jaw hit the floor but I snapped it shut, remembering that this was no crazier than what I’ve already witnessed. She reached her left hand back towards me . “You can hold my hand going through the portal if you feel more comfortable, it’s quite disorienting and I’m assuming this is your first time. Be prepared that there will be a small jump after the portal pushes us out.” I grabbed a hold of her outstretched hand and nodded. Then we stepped forward. My nostrils were suddenly stuffed with wet air and I had no idea which way was up or down. I squeezed my eyes shut and I held my breath, scared that I would suffocate if I dared breathe in. Sooner than I had anticipated I fell forward and dropped about a foot into my left hand and my knees. Had I not had a death grip on Vylas hand I surely would have face planted. “See? Not so bad" she said while watching me stand, testing my legs to make sure I didn’t resemble a newborn deer. “Um yeah” I smiled , brushing my knees off . I raised my head to look before me and my heart faltered. Before me was what I can only describe as a fortress, with an air of power emitting from its stone. 12 stone turrets shot high out of the rock castle, with stone walls long as a football field flanking either side of the heavy steel doors. A massive gold plaque anchored above the double doors read “CALDER ACADEMY FOR THE GIFTED" In large black onyx lettering. “Whoa" I breathed out. “This way follow me" beamed Miss Calder as she walked forward and grasped the steel handle of one door. Glancing behind herself she realized I was still frozen 15 paces behind in a state of utter shell shock. She released the door and came back to me , meeting my eyes at my level. “Addison. Believe me , I understand this is a lot, but I guarantee you will love it by the end of your first day tomorrow. Ok? I promise. Today you can get settled , call your work and deal with the formalities , and spend the evening exploring the campus. Please , follow me, we need to get you signed in and I’ve someone I’d like you to meet.” I smiled apprehensively , gave a weak nod and willed one foot to move in front of the other . Miss Calder swung open door wide and held it for me, as I stepped inside my new life.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD