FOUR— The Party At Harris'

2586 Words
It was late night when I closed my shop and rode back my apartment. William was already waiting for me outside and a wide smile slipped on face as I practically jumped on him and he too caught me with a soft laughter. Pulling away, I opened the door using my keys and threw my boots away, sighing with content. I was tired. So tired. I just needed my bed and I'd be asleep within a second. "Shall I order some food?" He asked and I nodded my head, absentmindedly, as I closed my eyes to get rid of the exhaustion. I heard him talking faintly with some nearby restaurant on his phone, ordering us some dinner, cause I was damn tired to cook and he didn't knew a single 'C' of cooking. "You really did help that Harris, huh?" William spoke with amusement hinting his tone and I groaned against the sofa before sitting upright, glaring at him. Would anyone ever let me live without mentioning my act in every five seconds? "Atleast you don't get started on the same, Willy. Father already ruined my sleep that night. He called me at three in the morning, Will. Three! Who does that?" "Our Dad?" I scoffed at his answer and he chuckled, sitting beside me and I placed my head on his shoulder, smiling to my own self when he wrapped his arms against me. After how long, were we chilling together? I didn't knew. We didn't speak for a long time, silence amid us was so comfortable that none of us minded it. That was the bond siblings shared. He wasn't anything like my Father was. He was of course, protective of me but he was never controlling. He never tried to manipulate my decisions, instead he stood by me. He never tried to overpower me with that fact that I was the younger sister and he was the elder one here. He always treated me equally. "William," "Hm?" "How's Mom?" I asked softly, playing with the hem of his shirt and he stiffened, making me cease all my movements at once. He let out a breath before he squeezed my shoulders, turning me to face him. "She hasn't met you in almost two months, Ser. How do you think she'll be?" "But..... but she never called me, William." I replied pathetically, biting my lips to keep my tears in check. He sighed, looking into my eyes with a sad smile, shaking his head. "Neither did you, Ser. Neither did you." "I—I feared she's still angry with my decision of moving out. And I...... I don't have the heart to face her. I can't see her tears and hatred, Will." She's my mother. Even though she kept a lot of things from me, it would never change the fact that she loves me beyond anything. I remember the day, I left the Burton Mansion, she couldn't keep her tears in check. She kept crying, pleading and something inside me broke. I wasn't a good daughter— not to her, at least But then again, living in that mansion would've meant supporting their illegal things, being one of those thugs. "She can never hate you, Ser. You know that." "I—I don't know. I guess, we'll see that at the Harris' party." "Talking about Harris', you really scared me, Ser. I thought, Dad would have your head on the gold platter for helping that Victor Harris." I snorted, nodding my head. Same brother, same. "Even, I thought too. And how the hell did even Father got to know about my little act?" My question froze him and he nervously bit on his lips, making my suspicion and anger to rage up with every passing second. I swear if it is what I'm thinking, I'd blast with anger. "Don't tell me he has people following me, William." I hissed, angrily. "You, of course have bodyguards, Ser. You're the daughter of Ri—" "Richard Freaking Burton, I get it, William! I get it that I'm Burton's daughter. Buy he really had bodyguards for me to ruin my freedom?" "Ser—" "And of course, he had to find a way of profit in my selfless action of helping. And that bloody Harris thinks I did it to overpower him and his family. I really, really blame Father for this." I gritted out, glaring at the empty space and William's muscles again stiffened as he rose his brows at me. "He confronted you? Did he do—" "Calm your knickers down, Will. He—he didn't do anything. But—" "But?" He asked cautiously and I clenched my eyes, already anticipating his and Father's reaction. Oh, God! He'd literally murder in me in the cold blood. He won't even keep a proper funeral for me because even that would cost him a fortune. "Speak up, Ser! You're giving me anxiety here." He spoke with a bit of annoyance and I looked at him and let it out. "He knows." "He knows— what?" He pressed further. "He knows that I don't live in the Burton Mansion anymore. He knows I have rented an apartment. He— he even saw me in the bakery shop.... working." He didn't speak for a while and then he exploded. "What? Couldn't you have been a little more careful, Ser!" Anger bubbled inside as I looked at him, incredulously. He's blaming this on me? Me! "Wait, really? You're going to blame every bit of this on me, aren't you?" His eyes widened when I stood up, blazing angrily at his sitting figure and then he too stood up, making me glare at him, even more. "I'm not blaming you, Ser. It's—it's dangerous if people get to know that you're living alone." "But I see this, otherwise, William. And couldn't have Father's bodyguards been more careful, yeah? After all, it's their job to protect me, right?" "Dad will go crazy if he gets to know about this, Ser. He—he'll get you back in the mansion." I took a deep breath, shaking my head. Like hell, I'll be back in that golden cage. "He won't know." I spoke quietly and before he could've spoke the doorbell rung, making me stand and take the door. I paid for the food, before closing the it. "How?" I shrugged my shoulders, getting the food out in the plates and he took the plates from my hand and gripped my upper arm, looking into my eyes seriously. Damn him! Father taught him the art of intimidation so well! And he was intimidating me, his own sister. Lord! "How, Serena?" "Harris..... Harris won't say a word out." "Do you really think the Harris' will let go an opportunity to let Burton's down, Ser? Really? Think again!" "A particular Harris will, William." I really wish he does. "And how do you know?" I don't. "I just a have a little voice in me saying that Victor won't say a word out. And think how stupid would it be, if he keeps his mouth shut and we blabber out everything in front of Father, because we were scared of him! I'm not risking my chance of freedom again, William." He sighed, nodding his head in agreement, this time. "I guess, you're right. We need to see what will happen. Let's have dinner first." "Yeah." ~~~~~~ It was Saturday and it was snowing when I woke up from my evening nap. I pulled the blinds away to gaze at the beauty of the nature. Nothing— absolutely nothing can ever compete with its beauty. I snuggled closer in my blankets as I looked out with a soft smile tugged on my lips. I could give away anything to just sit on the couch in my balcony with a hot cup of tea and a book to read, with blanket draped around me. Anything! And then I weighed my pros and cons of not attending the party and going against Father's words. What would it actually cost me? My freedom? My independence? My will? My dreams? Damn, this is more scary than attending the damn party. Shaking my head, I glanced at the clock only for my eyes to widen. I had only an hour to reach the Harris'Residency and their house was almost forty minutes away from my apartment. Hastily, I ran to the bathroom and took a very quick shower. I picked up the peach colored gown with laces before Father's words rang in my mind. 'Ladies with business families dress up in nothing less than a good gown.' A wide grin replaced the frown on my face as I opened my wardrobe and stuffed the annoying dress inside and pulled out a grey sweater and dark jeans. I quickly got changed in them before I tied the laces of my shoes and braided my long chestnut hair in simple braid. The cab I had called for— was waiting outside and we quickly left to the very party. Father, Mother and William were waiting outside, very patiently for me. Grinning to myself, I opened the door and nodded at the cab driver for him to leave. It was William who saw me first and he chocked on his breath, coughing violently and I bit my lips to keep myself from laughing on the floor, rolling. And that's when Father's eyes caught my frame and he froze. His eyes narrowed into dangerous slits and his fist clenched at his sides as I walked towards him with a huge smile on my face. Mom, however looked unfazed by my dressing, she was too busy to stare at me with love and tears. Blinking back my own tears, I melted into her hug, feeling the eternal bliss in her arms. For a moment, I forgot all the anger of being forced here; I forgot how Father threatened my freedom; I forgot that it was snowing. I forgot that I didn't wish to be here. I forgot everything. "My child, my Serena," She murmured against my hair and I felt the urge to cry it all. "I've missed you, Mom." I mumbled against her tall frame. Her amber eyes were moist with tears but she was indeed a strong woman because she didn't let them fall. She was dressed in a gorgeous and ridiculously long beige gown, standing beside my father, who was dressed in a grey suit, matching the color of my sweater. His hazel eyes met mine with so much of intense and menace that I almost flinched away. Almost! His unforgiving gaze made a shiver to pass down my body but I smiled instead, stepping forward as I wrapped my arms around his stiffened body. He rigid in my arms, he wasn't used to the hugging and sobbing, melodrama. He was more the hand shaking type. He didn't hug me back but held on my shoulders which might be equivalent to a hug, in his language. Either ways, it warmed my heart and made it to thump louder. Father hugged me back. "One work, Serena Eliana Burton, one work and you ruined that too." And he's back. Smiling against his suit, I pulled away and rose my eyebrows at him. "I did arrive at time, Father. What are you talking about? I asked, feigning innocence and his eyes narrowed dangerously before his lips pulled in a malicious smile as he tugged me a little away from the guests that kept arriving, for a litrle privacy. "What in the name of Lord are you wearing?" "Sweater and jeans? They look comfortable don't they? They feel comfy too." "I bet, they do." He hissed and I smiled, taking a step back. "I asked you to dress appropriately, Serena." "And what could be more appropriate than a sweater in a chilling weather as much. A dress could've risked me cold and cough, Father. It's snowing out, there. It would've let to wastage of money." "Sere—" "I'm your daughter, Father. You think you can threaten me without bearing the brunt of my scarred self-esteem, hm?" "Change. Now." "Tsk. Mr and Mrs. Harris must be waiting for us, Father. Shouldn't waste their time, yeah? And clothes of a person could never define their social status, right? I'm a Burton after all." I didn't wait for his reply as I marched towards Mom and William and started to walk towards the entrance. I had been to uncountable parties before but never in my life have I ever been to Harris' party. So even his house was new for me. Gazing at Father warily, Mom accompanied me inside. Their house was beautiful. The interiors were far more classy than any five star hotel. Expensive curtains gracing every corner and Persian carpet covering every inch of the floor. Like any mansion, it had a huge staircase at the end of the hall, leading upstairs. There were chair and tables placed, leaving a pathway to walk; and servants and maids were serving drinks to all the guests. And then I saw them— the host of this party. Mr. and Mrs. Harris, their hands intertwined as they walked towards us. They were shocked to see me, would be an understatement. Their mouth was literally hung open to see Burton's daughter in a pair of jeans and sweater. My lips pulled in a sweet smile as my insides curled to scream a loud, SURPRISE. They soon came out of their zone as they smiled warmly to greet us— Mrs. Harris smiled warmly to greet us while Mr. Harris simply nodded in response. So much like Dad. No wonder alikes repel. "Mr. and Mrs Burton. We're honored to meet you." Mrs. Harris spoke and nudged her husband who was busy glaring at Father. "Likewise, Mr. and Mrs. Harris." Mom spoke, smiling awkwardly. Mrs. Harris than turned to face me and smiled warmly at me. "Miss Burton. Can I call you Serena, my child?" I shrugged my shoulders, murmuring a quiet "of course". "Thank you so much for helping my son that night, Serena. I'll also be under your debt, my child." Before I could've said anything Father held my shoulders taking charge of the situation, making me sigh in annoyance. "Only if thank you could've sufficed in this petty world anymore, Mrs. Harris, no? Everything worths so much more today—" "And yet there are some generous people out there who help others without any hidden motive, Mrs. Harris. And we don't seek any compensation for the same; it was a selfless act, right Father?" I spoke, cutting him off with a very sweet smile and his lips stretched in a bitter smile that almost made me nauseous. "Of course, Serena. I'm proud that you remember all my principles so well." His grip tightened around my shoulders and I nodded back. "Of course, Father." And then I couldn't hear what Father said next, for my eyes and all my senses froze at the boy standing at the edge of staircase; his dark gaze focused one mine. Dressed in a dark suit that hugged his leanly muscular body, Victor Harris made my heart to freeze for more than a moment. His dark brown hair elegantly combed back, making his sharp jawline to glow under the light. His lips curled in a teensy smile— it wasn't even a smile but an attempt to hide it. And I take back what I said earlier that nothing could ever compete with the nature's beauty. Because, today even the nature must be bowing down on the land he'd walk.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD