Book 4 Butterscotch Souls: Chapter Three: Epperly's P.O.V.

4322 Words
~ Four Years Later ~ It has been four long and beautiful years since I've been freed. Today is supposed to be my 17th birthday and for the first time I was having a party. CJ and Angela had become my closest friends. This party was their idea. Over the years I have learned a lot. For starters I now know how to communicate with others like a normal person. I learned basic human concepts and really started to fit in about year after being here. Even Seirra warmed up to me. Every day I practiced my abilities with Kiah or the witches. It seemed that they were able to teach me better than the wolves. My astral projecting has become so much stronger. I can pretty much do it any time any where, and I can even hear the people talk now. As for wishes, I was still granting them. At first we found that anytime someone made a wish around me and I heard it, I granted it unwillingly. But with lots of hard work and practice I was now able to control it for the most part. Sometimes it still slipped up but it was a rare occasion now. Angela, CJ, and I still kept up on our schooling. There was no teacher here so we taught ourselves, but it wasn't that bad. It turned out that I knew much more than they did. In fact, I was told that my schooling was at a college level. Kiah even joked that I could be a professor. Because of that I started to teach the younger kids. There aren't many of us so it was honestly easy. Kiah also made sure that I trained to fight just like everyone else. I had become quite the fighter actually, but I didn't like it. It just wasn't in my nature to be brutal but I would be if I had to. Kiah taught me very well and I was now in the top ranks. Not that I wanted to be. Thankfully I was still under 18 so I didn't have to start patrolling yet. I found out a lot about myself since having the freedom to explore. It turns out that I love tea, any kind of tea, and I hate coffee. I also really enjoy spicy food and hate sour candy. Popcorn is my favorite snack and I hate soda. I also really like laying out in the sun but hate thunderstorms. Even after years of experiencing them, they still scare me. Day time is my favorite, I'm not much of a night person it turns out. It is extremely nice to be able to experience these things. Also, I apparently look to be of Muslim decent but my skin is pale for that race. That didn't make much sense to me but I was told that I was probably a mix race. Kiah had a little bit of information on my mother, that I refused to learn, and said that I got my ethnicity from her. He said that my father must have been cacasion, whoever he is. Kish never stopped trying to get me to let him tell me what he found out though. I kept telling him that I didn't need to know. I didn't need my parents. I had no interest in my old life and still don't. No part of me cared to know who my parents were or where I came from. Kiah continued to search for more information about Skin's but he hasn't found much. It was more for him than it was for me though. He just wanted to understand my power and learn how to best help me. I couldn't ask for a better family. I spent most of my time with the kids though. Angela, CJ, and I would watch them while their parents tended to 'adult things' as they put it. I didn't mind though. I love kids. I found that I preferred to spend my time with them than anyone else. Next to my two best friends of course. They made me excited to have kids of my own. Now that that was an option for me, it was something I often thought about. Angela and CJ told me about mates. They taught me all about the supernatural world. Learning about mates was my favorite part. Most supernatural races didn't get to meet their mates until after they were 18. No one was sure how it would be for me since there are no other Djin's. That was okay with me though, something told me that when it happens I'll know. Or maybe he will know? Or she. I'm keeping my options open because that is what Angela told me I had to do. I was told that most supernaturals wait for their mates, keeping themselves celibate. Though, I saw none of that here with the adults. When I asked Kiah about it he explained to me that sometimes people have needs and that it's hard to wait for your mate if you don't meet them right away. I asked him if he had met his mate and he told me yes. That was when I found out that the women he was looking for was his mate. I asked him if he waited for her and after a ton of stuttering and a very red face he told me no and to get out. I wasn't sure what the big deal was so I decided to ask Angela and CJ what exactly 'waiting' meant. That was the day I learned about s*x. At the time I wished that I had never been told but after getting comfortable with the subject I was glad I was told. After all I was going to have to know these things eventually. Throughout the years I understood the loneliness that drove people not to wait for their mates. When I was 15 Angela taught me about masterbation. She told me that it was perfectly okay to explore my own body in the privacy of my own room. It helped. It also helped that I didn't seem to find anyone attractive in that way. Angela told me that was normal for some supernaturals. Some were just better at waiting. Coming back to the present, right now I am in the woods with Angela. We are hiding out while everyone prepares for this party. Apparently they all wanted me to be surprised. I think I would be surprised no matter what considering I had never had a party. "Do you really think I should tell him?" Angela asked. "What if we turned 18 and we aren't mates? What would we do then?" Right now she was panicking over telling CJ how she feels about him. It was adorable to see her act like this. Angela has been in love with CJ since before I got here. CJ though... I wasn't sure if he felt the same way. He never showed interest in anyone but that didn't mean that he didn't like anybody. CJ could just be really good at hiding his feelings for all I know. "Well, do you think it's worth the risk?" I asked her back. Angela looked all around before looking at me. "Do you?" She countered. I laughed. "It isn't my life." I told her. "Yeah but what if it was? If it were you in love with your best friend?" She asked. "I thought I was your best friend." I pouted at her. Angela scooched across the forest floor to get closer to me. "You are my best friend." She told me and then stuck out her bottom lip. Ugh, she knows that stupid puppy dog face always gets me. I rolled my eyes at her. "If it were me, I would go for it." I told her honestly. "Life is too short to wonder what if. And if you guys end up not being mates then you will figure it out." I told her. "Okay." She replied and then chewed on her bottom lip. I waited patiently for her to ask me her next question. "But what if he doesn't feel the same way?" She asked in an almost whisper. I shrugged. "Again, is it worth the risk?" I asked her. "To you. Is it worth it to you?" I added before she could ask what I would do. Angela seemed to think about it for a moment. Then she looked up at me, a determination in her eyes. I smiled at her. "Yes. I think it is worth it." She told me. "Okay so when everyone has their attention on me tonight, sneak off with him." I told her. She nodded. "That's a good idea." She said. "I know." I replied with a laugh. Angela's watch started to beep and she jumped to her feet. "Oh my Gods. It's time to go get you ready." She said. I frowned at her. "I am ready." I told her. Angela scoffed and crossed her arms. "You are all dirty and your beautiful hair is a mess." She told me. I looked down at my clothes and saw a bit of dirt but I didn't see it as a big deal. Before I could argue further though Angela grabbed my arm and pulled me to my feet. She locked her hand with mine and dragged me back to base. Angela had to cover my eyes as we walked awkwardly up to her bedroom. We went to hers because mine had nothing to help me 'get ready'. "I don't understand why I have to get dressed up or whatever." I grumbled as she set me in a chair in front of a mirror. I looked at my reflection. I had never seen my refelction in more than medical equipment or water before I came here. The first time I looked at myself was a bit scary. It was weird to know what I really looked like after not knowing for 13 years. I cried as I had ran my hands over my face. Angela and CJ were there, they didn't know that I had never saw myself. They held me while I cried and then Angela started to ask me what I liked and didn't like about myself. It was a strange question and for a few months I couldn't answer. About eight months later I had saught Angela out to talk about it. I told her that I hated not having hair like her. She told me that I could grow it out as long as I liked and even dye it. I told her I hated how big my nose is and she told me that she loved it. The list was short but went on. Anything that I was able to change, Angela gave me the courage, and anything I could not change, Angela taught me how to love. After giving her a list of all the things I did not like to see she wanted me to tell her what I did like. At the time I was a little skinny thing, that was a few inches shorter than most of the women here, and I told her that I liked being small. That brought up the talk about my scars though... I had showed Angela all of them and her gasps had made me feel worse. I tried not to show it but Angela picked up on it anyways. She assured me that she would help me with them and encouraged me to continue. I like the shape of my lips and how full they are, my dimples that shown proudly everytime I smiled, but mostly I like my eyes. They are my favorite thing about myself. The bright purple ring around my pupil made the bright gold of the rest of my eye stand out even more. Now looking at myself all these years later... My hair is gown out past my butt. It fell in thick wavy black strands. Angela joked that it was almost thicker than hers. I could only wish. My body has filled out a bit and now I have a butt and boobs. Angela says its a good thing but I wasn't convinced. My eyes remained the same, along with my lips and nose. Thankfully Angela had made a herbal cream that she spelled and it took away all of my scars. She gave it to me on my 16th birthday and I had never been so thankful for something. Angela gave me back a piece of myself and I could never thank her enough. "Will you just let me make you even more stunning?" Angela grumbled, pulling me back to the present. "Fine." I whined out as I rolled my eyes. An hour and a half later Angela was finally done. She had put my long hair in four french braids. Then she added little hair clips with flowers on them. Angela had applied light makeup as well. My eyelids were a shimmery gold color, marscara made my lashes look even more full, and my lips were a deep red color. "Well, what do you think?" Angela asked me after a moment of inspecting myself. "I look amazing!" I shouted. Angela jumped up and down excitedly. "Yay! I'm so happy you like it. Now lets get you dressed." She said before walking to her closet. I sat on Angela's bed while she searched through her clothes. "How about this?" She asked as she pulled out a dark yellow sundress with white daisies all over it. "I don't know about wearing dresses." I told her. "I know but you look so good in them and it's your birthday." She whined. "Fine." I grumbled before snatching the dress from her. I changed quickly and then checked myself out in the mirror. Angela is right. I look damn good in a dress. "Alright let's head down." She told me. Angela and I looped our arms together and skipped down to the back yard. She covered my eyes once we got to the door so that I couldn't see. Angela was giggling behind me as she walked me into the fluffy grass. "Okay, you ready?" She asked. I nodded and she removed her hands. Everyone was waiting in the backyard and they all shouted surprise after Angela removed her hands. I gasped and covered my mouth as I took in the scene. The backyard had tiki torches lined everywhere lighting up the darkening area. There were a few grills out and I could smell the delicious food cooking. Tables and chairs were set up for us all and one of them was strung in 'birthday girl' themed banners. Kiah walked over to me and I jumped into his arms. "Kiah! I didn't think you would be back in time." I told him as I hugged him. Kiah has been gone for a full month doing Gods know what. "I couldn't miss your birthday Epp." He told me as hr hugged me back. "Let's go sit down and open some presents." He said as he pulled away. Presents? For the next couple of hours I enjoyed my party. I got a lot of presents that were mostly clothes since I didn't have a whole lot. I was extremely thankful to my family. When they started to sing happy birthday and brought out the cake I kept my eye on Angela. Thankfully she was able to sneak away with CJ and I was more excited for her than I was about my cake. An hour after having my cake most of our family members had went to their rooms to retire for the night. When Angela and CJ still hadn't come back I was just hoping that things were going well. I think if they weren't that they would have come back to the party. I was so lost in thought that I didn't realize Kiah had been talking to me until he snapped his fingers in front of my face. "Huh? What?" I asked as I jumped slightly. "You're very distracted." He commented. "I was just wondering where Angela and CJ are." I told him. Kiah nodded. "Listen Epperly. I need to talk to you. Let's go to my office." He said. "Everything okay?" I asked. Kiah seemed more stressed than usual. I had noticed throughout the night that he seemed to be distracted but hadn't put much thought into it. Now I was growing worried. "I'm afraid not kiddo." He said as he stood up. "Come on." He told me. "It's always bad news on my birthday." I mumbled as I stood up to follow Kiah. We walked to his office in silence. My eyes scanned everywhere hoping to catch Angela and CJ making out or something. I never did though. Damn, where are they? Once we reached Kiah's office he walked straight to his desk and I sat in a chair across from him. "So, what's going on?" I asked after a few minutes of silence. "We are waiting for someone." He told me. "Who?" I asked. Kiah opened his mouth to answer me but as soon as he did the door opened and in walked Seirra. She walked over to stand next to Kiah. Seirra is Kiah's right hand man. He is a wolf and she is a witch. Since our little pack is made up of mostly wolves and witches it only made sense. She was the one who taught me how to control my power actually. A very stark contrast to the relationship we started off on. "Epperly. Happy birthday." Seirra greeted me with a smile, though it did not reach her eyes. I frowned at the two of them. "What is going on?" I asked. "You guys are starting to freak me out." I added. Seirra set down a box I didn't realize she had until now. "Is this another birthday present?" I asked with a brow raised. Kiah shook his head. "Epperly you know that we love having you here right?" He asked. "I mean I would hope after these last four years you would." I said with a laugh that quickly died in my throat when no one else looked amused. "Epp, we have been searching for more information about your kind." Kiah told me. "I know that." I said. "We recently found something.... Well something that just isn't good." He told me. "Okay?" I asked. Seirra moved to sit in the chair next to me. She grabbed my hand and gave me a tight smile. Looking through her eyes I could see she was genuinely sad. "Epperly, honey, we found out that you are the only Djin in existence." She told me. "Oh.." I said since I was unsure of what else to say. "Is that a bad thing?" I asked. "After we found out that you were the only one we started to look into why you are the only one." Kiah told me. "We found out that Djin's have been used throughout the existence of Gods, so for all time. Turns out that Djin's can grant wishes that not even Gods can. Gods had been using them against each other for millenias. Until they were all burned out." Kiah told me. "Gods would send other to assasinate the Djin's. Eventually they were killed out." He said. "So, how am I here?" I asked. "That is a very good question." Seirra told me. "One that we cannot answer." She said sadly. "We ran into some...really bad people this time around." She said. "Epperly there are people searching for you. It was purely coincidence that we found you four years ago at that lab." She told me. "Uhm, okay." I said. "Epperly I fear that the people who are after you are much too powerful for us to take on." Kiah said sounding much older than he is. The stress is getting to him. "So, what does that mean?" I asked. "These people are on our tail. It is only a matter of time before they find this place and come for you." Seirra explained and fear struck through me. "What does that mean?" I asked the two of them. Kiah sighed before turning his sad eyes to me. "Epperly you must leave." He stated. It felt like the world had just been taken from under me. "W-What?" I breathed out. "Honey we don't want this either but we have no other choice. If they come here they will kill all of us and take you with them. We have no idea what they have planned for you." Seirra told me before standing up to grab the box. "This box has everything you could need." She told me and then pulled out a necklace with a large green crystal wrapped in it. "This will warn you whenever someone who is searching for you is near. It'll glow and get warm. The closer they are the hotter it burns. Anytime it glows, even just slightly or only for a moment, you must run." She told me. "There are 15 different fake I.D.'s for you in here and $30,000. It should last you some time but you need to find a job and blend in everywhere you go. Your eyes will stand out but just tell people they are contacts." Kiah told me. "I... I don't understand." I told them. "You're asking me to leave?" I asked as tears filled my eyes. Seirra gripped my hands tighter in hers. "Epperly we don't want you to go but we cannot protect you here. We have given you all the tools you will need. You are strong and very capable." She told me. I shook my head at them as tears began to fall. "No.." I said. "I ca-can't. I can't le-leave here." I forced the words out through my panic. Kiah got up and came around his desk to crouch down in front of me. He gripped my chin, forcing me to keep his stare. Kiah looked deep into my eyes. "Yes you can. You will be fine. I am sorry that it has to be this way Epp but I have to protect my pack. You know how hard I worked to create this pack. We are no longer considered rouges here. If these people come here searching for you then everyone will die and you will be taken. Do you want that?" He asked and I shook my head. "I am so sorry to do this to you kid. We don't want to let you go either but I'm afraid we don't have a choice." He told me. I stared at him for a few moments before nodding. He was right. I can't stay here and watch my family die becasue of me. I'd have to leave to protect them. "Will I ever be able to come back?" I asked him. Kiah gave me another sad look. "I hope that one day we will see each other again kid. You've been like a daughter to me over these last four years." He told me. Well that didn't make me feel better. "I packed you a bag and I have a contact that is waiting outside to drive you a few states over." Seirra explained. "After that you will be on your own. You know what to do Epperly. Do not let them find you." She told me. Seirra stood up and handed me a duffle bag. She unzipped it and added the items from the box in it. I wiped my tears as Kiah went around his desk. He pulled out a file and while keeping eye contact with me added it to the duffle bag. "I will walk you out." Kiah offered. "I-I don't get to say goodbye?" I asked shocked. Kiah and Seirra shared a look. "Oh my Gods. That was what tonight was." I said. Kiah gave me a look that confirmed it was true. "Angela, CJ, and the rest of the kids will be notified in the morning." He told me. Seirra walked over to my stunned form and engulfed me in a hug. I was still so stunned that I couldn't move to hug her back. She squeezed me tightly anyways. "I am going to miss you so much Epperly." She told as she pulled away. Tears filled her eyes as she stared at me. "Do not let them get you. Do you hear me?" I nodded and she smiled sadly at me. Kiah ushered me out the door with my duffle bag slung across her shoulder. We walked in silence to the front of the base. A big black vehicle was parked outside with a tall pale man standing outside of it. "Alpha Kiah." The man greeted. "Felix." Kiah greeted back. Kiah threw my bag at Felix and then turned to me. "Remember everything we taught you okay? If you come across anymore powerful creatures you either make friends or you run. You are not the same little girl that I found at that lab four years ago. You are not a prisoner anymore. Never forget that. You are always in control." He told me. I nodded and Kiah pulled me into a hug. I hugged him back tightly not wanting to let him go. After a few moments Felix cleared his throat and Kiah pulled away from me. Kiah helped me into the back of the car before shutting the door. "You treat her well." He ordered Felix. "Of course Alpha." Felix replied before hopping in. Without another word Felix put the car in drive and started to drive off. I watched with tears in my eyes as we drove further away from my home, my family. I wish I could have gotten to say goodbye to my friends. That was the last day that I saw my family.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD