Book 4 Butterscotch Souls: Chapter Two: Epperly's P.O.V.

4027 Words
~ One week later ~ It's been one week since I escaped, or was rescued, I'm honestly not sure. The moment we reached outside I was having trouble keeping up with what what going on. I saw the sun for the first time and grass. It tickled my feet but sometimes hurts. Kiah and the women I now know is Seirra, lead us a few miles until we reached two black vehicles. I've never been in a vehcile before. It was exciting, until we reached our destination. I was brought to a building that looked run down, or I think so anyways. It was big but hollow looking. Many other people with guns were outside. Kiah told me that they are on our side and are just protecting the base. That's what he calls the building, a base. A base for what though? As soon as we got here I was locked in a room. It's much smaller than my last prison and the bed is not nearly as comfortable. But I was still glad to be away from there. At least there is a window for me to look out. They still brought me food and allowed me to go outside supervised and only for a few minutes. But otherwise I did not leave this room. I was told that Kiah needed to sort out a few things and then he would be here to speak with me. I opened the window and let the warm fresh air swirl around me. Inhaling deeply I decided that I love fresh air. That was when I heard voices. "You saw what she did Kiah, she is not a normal girl." Seirra argued. I frowned. "I don't think she realized what she was doing." Kiah defended me. "She is dangerous." Seirra said angrily. I don't know why she is mad at me, she is the one that made the wish. I thought back to what happened after I took Kiah's hand back in my old room. The three of us had rushed out. Seirra and Kiah shot down anyone that crossed us that didn't belong on their team. At one point we became trapped by too many people. That was when Seirra made her wish. "Damn, I wish they would all just die so that we could walk out of here easily!" She shouted in frustration. Before I even knew what was happening my body paused. My eyes went pure white and I felt the power swirl inside of me. I extended my arms out. "Your wish, is my command." I spoke the words in another voice. Kiah and Seirra turned to look at me. Seirra had just opened her mouth to say something when suddenly everyone around us dropped dead. Kiah, very cautiously, checked the pulses of the men before confirming they were dead. "She could help us." Kiah seethed back to Seirra, knocking me back to the present. "She could be the key to everything. That girl could take down the Alpha's, the Anderson's. All of the people that wronged us." He told her. "She could kill us all Kiah." Seirra argued. "Only if she falls into the wrong hands." He said. It went quiet after that. I wonder what he means by all of that. Will he use me the same way that Dr. Lucas did? A short while later there was a knock to my door. Another new thing, people knocked and actually waited for me to answer. It was very nice to not be barged in on for once. "Come in." I called out. Kiah peeked his head in the door and smiled to me. His light brown eyes sparkled in the sunlight that poured into the room. He walked into the room dragging a wooden chair with him. Kiah shut the door and put the chair down before sitting in it. "I would like to speak with you if that's alright?" He asked me. "Finally." I grumbled as I sat down on my bed. Kiah chuckled at me. "For someone who has been expiremented on her whole life you have quite the sarcastic attitude." He commented amused. "So I've been told." I mumbled back before my head snapped up to him. "Expiremented on?" I asked. Is that what they were doing to me? "You mean you don't know?" He asked. I shrugged. "I guess I never thought about it that way because..." I trailed off not wanting to answer. "Because that is all you have ever known. I get it." He finished for me. I pulled my knees to my chest and hugged myself. They had given me new clothes since I've been here. For the first time in my life I wasn't wearing sweat pants but jeans, and I wasn't wearing a plain white T-s**t but a bright blue one. It was nice to have new clothes but I was not sure how to use the piece they gave me that they called a 'bra'. "Thank you for the clothes." I told him. Kiah smiled brightly at me. "You're welcome." He stared at me for a few moments before sighing. "Look Epperly, I know you have been through a lot. They lied to you nonstop while you were there. So, I'm not going to bullshit you." He told me. "Okay?" I said. "It took my men a couple of days to gather all the information the facility had. And it took me another week to get through the information they had about you." He told me and I stayed silent. "Did you know that they recorded everything they did to you?" He asked me. "Sometimes." I answered. "Sometimes I was not conscious." Kiah nodded. "I saw. What they did to you while you were out was much more devasting than anything else I found." He said sadly. "Did they tell you what they did to you?" He asked me. "They said I had surgeries." I told him as I remembered the scars across my body. "And how many surgeries have you had?" Kiah asked. "63." I answered. "64." Kiah said. "What?" I asked confused. "The last time you were out they did another procedure. They might not have cut you open Epperly, but I think we can still consider it a surgery." He said and then pulled out something from behind his back. It looks like one of those files Dr. Lucas carried around. "Do you know what this is?" He asked and I shook my head. "This is a summed up version of your file that I found." He told me. "Would you like to see it?" He asked. I looked down at the file and back up to Kiah. "No." I stated firmly. Kiah appeared shocked by my answer. "You don't want to know anything? They have your birthdate in here, what you are, who your mother was." He told me. I thought about the information that I could have for a moment. Then I shook my head again. Kiah seemed to be stunned. "May I ask why not?" He asked. "Does it matter? My mother is dead. The fact that my birthdate is in that file tells me that I was lied to and they have had me since birth. I assume that my mother was held captive until I was born and was either killed or died naturally. As for what I am I don't think a label would tell me anything. I have been using my powers almost my entire life. I don't need a piece of paper to tell me who I am." I answered. Kiah stared at me in wonderment for a few moments. "You are very wise for someone so ignorant to the world." He mumbled. I don't understand what that means so I just ignored it. "Let's talk about something else then." Kiah offered. "The women that was dead in your arms when I found you, what happened?" He asked. I looked out the window to avoid eye contact. "Her name was Dr. Isabella. She was the only one that was ever nice to me. I'm not sure why she wanted to kill me but she said I shouldn't exist. Dr. Lucas had made a monster and if I killed him another would just take his place. She said she couldn't help him kill more people in the world. She came after me with a syringe, we faught, I won I guess." I summed up. Kiah nodded in understanding. "That must have been hard. To kill the only person who has ever shown you kindness." He said. "I guess." I said with a shrug. "You said that she couldn't help him kill more people." He said and I nodded. "Did he use you to kill many?" Kiah asked. I looked to him. "Some. He would show me pictures of men and tell me their names. Then he would wish for their death and I would grant it." I told him. "I see." Kiah said as he nodded. "Do you know that you are a supernatural creature?" He asked me. "What is a supernatural creature?" I asked. "Well, you are one for starters. One that the world hasn't seen in centuries." He told me as he leaned forward in his chair to rest his elbows on his knees. "I am one, so is Seirra and everyone else here." He told me. My eyes went wide and I scooched closer to him. "You guys are like me?" I asked. "Well not exactly." He said. "You are what we call a Djin. Very powerful, very rare. You grant the wishes of people and I assume many other things." Kiah said with a smile. "I am a werewolf. That means that I can turn into a wolf whenever I want. I used to be a powerful Alpha once." He told me. "What happened?" I asked Kiah's usual soft eyes hardened at my question. "My pack was stolen from me." He said then shook his head. "Anyways, Seirra is a witch. We run this place together. We are made up of mostly werewolves and witches." He told me. "Oh okay." I said since I was unsure of what to say. I wasn't sure what any of this meant. "Were the doctors supernaturals too?" I asked. Kiah shook his head. "No. Those bastards were human." He told me. I nodded. "Why were you guys there?" I asked him. "I've never seen anyone break in before." I added. Kiah sighed. "That is a very big question. To sum it up, we were looking for something. I have been trying to find someone and we got a tip that that lab have I information." He said. "Were they there? Did they have any information?" I asked. Kiah looked up to meet my eyes. "No." He told me shaking his head. "I could try to find them for you." I told him. Kiah gave me a sad smile. "I'm not sure you can." He told me. "If you have a picture of them and could tell me the name I could. I can astral project. If you wish it, it would be easier." I told him. Kiah looked me over for a moment. "You would do that for me? I'm a stranger." He said. I shrugged. "You saved me. I've never seen the sun or felt the grass before you came. I don't mind finding someone for you." I told him. Kiah chuckled. "That is very nice of you but I don't have a picture of her." He told me. "I can work on getting one though." I smiled brightly. "Okay. And what about in the meantime? Are you going to kick me out like Seirra wants?" I asked. Kiah's eyes went wide but he recovered quickly. "You heard that huh?" He asked sheepishly. I nodded. "She doesn't like me." I said. "She is just scared about what you did." He told me. "I only granted the wish she made." I defended myself. "Why did you do that? Do you have to grant the wishes that anyone makes?" He asked. I shrugged. "Only Dr. Lucas ever made wishes to me. Seirra's wish was the first I have ever made without trying." I told him. "But you granted Seirra's without trying?" He asked and I nodded. "That is very interesting." He drawled out. I shrugged. "What do you say we go for a walk?" He asked me. I beamed at him as I stood up. Kiah beamed back at me but when his eyes trailed down to my feet he frowned. "Did no one give you shoes?" He asked as he stared at my black socks. I shifted on my feet awkwardly. "Uhm yes they gave me these." I said as I grabbed the tennis shoes that were given to me. "Good. Put them on and I can show you the grounds." He told me. Again I shifted awkwardly. "I, uhm, don't know how to tie them." I said. Kiah stared at me for a moment before he nodded in understanding. "Have a seat. I'll show you." He told me. I sat down on the bed and Kiah crouched down on the floor. He slipped one shoe on and showed me step by step how to tie them. Then he placed the other shoe on my other foot and made me tie it myself. I wasn't as fast as Kiah was but I was still able to do it. Standing on my feet I beamed at him. "You are a fast learner!" He boasted. "Now lets go." Kiah said as he held open the door for me. I stepped out into the hall and followed Kiah through the building. There were many people scattered around the building. All of them greeted Kiah warmly but gave me looks of apprehension. I guess I couldn't blame them, they don't know me. But why don't I have those feelings to any of them? Not one of them made me feel like I was in danger in here. I wonder if it is because of Kiah. Once we were outside I looked around taking everything in. The grass is lush and beautiful. Trees swayed in the light breeze and the sun was shinning down on us. Kiah started walking to the trees and I hurriedly followed him. He didn't go passed the trees but started to walk the lining of them and the clearing. "The clearing is all ours but the forest is not. Never go into the forest alone go it?" He asked me sternly. I nodded enthusiastically. "Got it." "I mean it Epperly. It is dangerous. We are a pack of rouges surrounded by more rouges. They will not hesitate to kill you. They do not care." He stopped to face me as he spoke. "I got it. No forest alone." I told him with a smile. Kiah nodded and then turned back to keep walking. "We all train here which means if you stay you will be training too." He told me as we passed a small group of people fighting. "They're fighting." I whispered. "They are training. Sparring." Kiah corrected. "Wait." I said as his previous words registered in my head. "Did you say I'm staying here?" I asked surprised. Kiah turned his head and smiled at me. "If you want to, yes." He told me. "Well, I have no where else to go..." I trailed off. "So yeah I would love to stay." I said. "We would love to have you." He told me. I felt someone staring at me and turned my head to see Seirra glaring at me. "You sure everyone feels that way?" I asked as I held Seirra's stare. Kiah followed my stare to see Seirra. I'm not sure what his face looked like since I was still holding her glare, but she quickly softened her face and turned back to the person she is talking to next to her. I turned my head back in front of us. "We don't have many kids here your age. Just two, a girl and a boy." Kiah told me. "Oh?" I said since I was unsure of what to say. There are other people here my age. That's exciting and nerve wracking. "Would you like to meet them?" He asked. "Uhhhh.." I trailed off. "Sure." "Don't worry Epperly, they are very nice." Kiah assured me. How did he know I was feeling nervous? Kiah walked me around the rest of what he calls his 'territory'. He showed me the kitchen, showers, and where his room is. Most of which I had seen already since they let me shower and eat for the week before Kiah came to see me. Finally we came to a room and Kiah knocked on the door. There was scrambling and hushed voices on the other side before the door was thrown open. A boy stood on the other side with a bright smile on his face. He has deep red hair and dark brown eyes. The boy is taller than me but no where near as tall as Kiah. His build is lean but hidden under a baggy black shirt with the letters ACDC on it, followed by regular jeans and white sneakers. He looked between Kiah and me before settling on Kiah. "Uhm hi Kiah. How can I help you?" The boy asked. Kiah gave him a bored look. "Is Angela here with you?" He asked the boy. The boy nodded and then a girl my height popped up from behind him. She is a cute girl with freckles and dark blue eyes. Her hair is a light brown, straight, and thick. It fell in long strands down her back and sides. She smiled at Kiah and then settled her eyes on me. "Hi I'm Angela, are you new here?" She asked as she held her hand out to me. I looked down at her hand confused. "You are supposed to shake it." Kiah whispered in my ear. "Oh." I grabbed her hand, well it was more her wrist, and gave her a shake. Weird but okay. "I'm Epperly. And yes I am new here." "I'm CJ. Nice to meet you." The boy introduced himself to me as he held his hand out. I took his wrist as well and gave him a shake. Kiah chuckled next to me. "Epperly here was rescued from a lab." Kiah told them. A lab? "Ohhhh, so you're the girl that everyone has been talking about." CJ said with a smile. "I would like for the two of you to help Epperly get situated here. I have some buisness to attend to and will not be able to give her the guidance she needs." Kiah explained. "From what I have seen, Epperly has never been to school but she is very smart. I want you guys to go over her schooling and see where she is at. She might be book smart but she is ignorant to everything else." Kiah told them and I frowned. "Clearly." CJ said looking at his hand that I shook. "Alright. I will leave you to it." Kiah said and turned to leave. He made it a few steps before turning back around. "Angela please get her some clothes as well." Then he turned back around and disappeared around the corner. I turned back to CJ and Angela and gave them a bright smile. CJ returned my smile but Angela scrutinized me under her gaze. I started to shift uncomfortably on my feet. "You're wearing my clothes." Angela said after a moment. "They look really good on you. How unfair." She pouted making CJ chuckle. He pushed the door open and Angela turned and walked further into the room. "Come on in Epperly." CJ said as he turned. I walked into the room and shut the door. CJ plopped down on the bed and Angela sat on the floor across from him. She opened a large book and CJ opened a notebook. "Are you gonna come in and sit down?" Angela asked me. I awkwardly walked over to them and sat on the floor next to Angela. "So, what are you?" CJ asked me. "CJ." Angeala scolded. "What?" He asked innocently then looked at me. "I am a werewolf, Angela is a witch, what are you?" He asked. "That's a rude question CJ." Angela said with and eye roll and then looked at me. "You don't have to answer him." She told me. "It's okay. I just found out myself actually." I told them. "I'm a Djin." I told them. They both blinked at me. "What's that?" CJ asked. I shrugged. "I don't know. It was in my file." I told him. "Your file?" Angela asked me. "Yeah." I replied nonchalantly. Angela and CJ shared a look that I didn't understand. "Kiah did say that she was found in a lab." CJ said with a shrug. Angela turned her head to look me in the eyes. Her stare was so deep that I felt like I was in a trance. After a few moments her blue eyes filled with tears. "You've been through so much." She whispered as she grabbed my hand. I have? "What did you see?" CJ asked her. Angela looked away from me and wiped her eyes. "Uhm, a lot of pain and experimenting." She told him and then sniffled. "Apparently a Djin is like a Genie though. She grants wishes." She said. My eyes went wide. "You got all of that from looking at me?" I asked. Angela nodded. "It's hard but I can look into your mind if I try hard enough. It always leaves me with a killer headache though." She told me. I frowned. "I'm sorry that I caused you a headache." I told her honestly. Angela smiled at me. "Totally not your fault." She said. "Wish for her to take it away, maybe it'll work." CJ offered. Angela scoffed. "I am not going to use her powers like that." She argued. CJ looked at me. "Do you know how to use your powers well?" He asked. I shrugged. "Sort of." I answered. "Have you ever taken away someone's headache?" He asked. I shook my head. "No, I've only ever killed a few people." I told him. CJ and Angela stared at me like I had grown an extra head. Oh no, was that not normal? I'm so bad at this. "You've killed people?" Angela asked me. I nodded sadly. "Did someone wish for it?" CJ asked softly. Again, I nodded sadly. The two of them shared another look. This one looked like they were having a silent conversation and I wondered if they were really able to do that. After a few moments CJ turned back to me. "Sounds like you could use some practice then!" He said excitedly. "Epperly, I wish that Angela's headache would disappear." He said. I felt the normal power flow through me. My eyes, I assume, have turned completely white. I heard them gasp but it sounded far away. "Your wish, is my command." Came the power of my voice. Then I blinked and it was over. It took my eyes a moment to adjust to the room again. CJ was staring at me in awe and Angela was pinching the bridge of her nose. I turned my head to her. "Did it work?" I asked. She moved her hand and opened her eyes to meet mine. "Yeah." She said excitedly as she nodded. "It worked!" I beamed at her. "I did it!" I felt accomplished and happy. Dr. Lucas never wished for anything other than killing people. He tested me and made me do plenty of other things, that he said was to 'prepare my body' before he wished for anything. Knowing that I could do more than just kill gave me a sense of relief that I didn't know I needed. "I wonder what else you can do." CJ said with a smirk. Angela closed the book in her hands and set it aside. "Yeah, I wonder too." And that was the start of my new life.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD