Chapter Two: Atiana's P.O.V.

4419 Words
I sighed heavily as I stared at the paperwork laying on my desk in front of me. The last of the guests from Mate Week had just left, and I was back to assiging missions. I put my head on my desk, and groaned. The last few weeks had left me exhuasted. I just wanted a nap. It's been about a year since my elder sister found her mate. Things around here have not been the same without her. I think I missed her. Aureaila was the glue that held us all together, and now that she was gone we were all struggling. Our parents noticed the change right away, and decided to do more family stuff. They took all of the under age kids, and decided to spend the summer in Hell with Grandpa. Ambrose is out on a mission with Aunt Lenny, which would probably take them a while. Acaisia and Ahkari stayed behind. They had just graduated, and wanted to be in the Black Ops Core. All first years usually had to spend a year in training before they were allowed on mission. I was still forcing the twins to do training. They grumbled, but I told them that I'd revist my decision at the end of the summer. Obviously, I am still here. Mom helped me with Mate Week even if I didn't want to do it in the first place. They left two days ago, and I was dealing with all of the clean up. Thankfully, I had my only friend here to help me. The only good thing that came from this week was that Belle had found her mate. A young man named Robby. He seemed just as sweet as Belle, and I didn't get any bad vibes from him. A few days after they found each other the three of us spent the whole night talking. He told us that he was a Bounty Hunter, and who his dad is. Robby told us about how he ended up in foster care, and how his friend Max saved him. He told us about his best friends, and how they weren't sure what exactly Max is. Robby told us how the other two are twins, and that they are s*x demons. He joked that they would be perfect for my twin sisters. Belle suggested that Max come here, and we could help him figure out what he is. The school kept a large archive under it. Only I had a key, but she was right, it would be the perfect place to help find answers. I said I thought that was a good idea, and even offered to pay to fly Robby's friend out here. Honestly, I was doing it all for Belle. I would do anything for her, she is the only bright side of my dull life. They didn't call me the Soulless for nothing. After Aureaila finding her mate, and this past weeks event, I started thinking about what my life is like. I can't remember ever feeling anything really. When Aureaila was knocked out I was worried and scared. Belle sometimes can make me smile genuinely, but other than that I felt nothing. I'm never afraid, I never cried, I don't think I have ever even laughed. Is there something wrong with me? A knock at my office door startled me out of my spiraling thoughts. I cleared my throat. "Come in." My office door opened, and in walked Russell. Russell is the son of one of the more powerful Alphas. He also is the only person who has ever tried to date me. And boy did he try. I constantly turned him down. I didn't feel anything for him to start off with, and he isn't my mate. My parents drilled into my head since birth how important it is to wait for your mate. Personally, I never gave it much thought. People said I had no soul, and how can someone have a soulmate without a soul? "Hey Atiana." Russell greeted as he strode in, and sat in a chair across from me. He is dressed head to toe in black. Black jeans, black V-neck shirt, and a black beanie over his dark red hair. Russell isn't a bad looking guy, he is tall at around 6'3, and broad. I mean he is a future Alpha. He is only a couple years older than me, and is due to take over his pack soon. All he has to do, is find his Luna. "Hi Russell." I said as I turned my attention back to my paperwork. "I thought you left with the other guests." "Nope. Thought I'd stick around for a while." He said. I looked up at him. He is leaning back in the chair with his arms behind his neck, and legs stretched out. "Okay." I said then looked back at my paperwork. I was trying to figure out who to send on this mission while I waited for Russell to ask me the inevitable. "Atiana." He called. "Hmm?" I said without looking at him. "Let me take you out." He said. I put the paper down, and looked up at him. Russell gave me a dazzling smile. "We are not mates." Was all I said. "So? I'm not asking you to be my Luna. I'm just asking you to let me take you out. You're what 20 now? Have you ever even been out?" He countered. I thought about what he said. What do you think Nyla? I asked my wolf. Whatever you wanna do. She shrugged, and then went quiet. Nyla isn't like most wolves. Ususally, it's the wolf that wants to wait for their mate. Nyla is much like me in the emotional department. She never cared. The only thing she cares about is protecting our family, and this school. She loves the fight with the bad guys, but mostly just slept in the back of my mind. "Okay." I said after a few minutes. "Atiana don't say no. Come on just give- Wait, did you just agree?" He asked as he sat up. I nodded. "Oh my Goddess. Finally!" He practically shouted. Russell stood up, and started walking for the door excitedly. "Tonight? I'll pick you up from your house at 8." He said as he walked out the door. I shook my head. Well you sure made him happy. Nyla commented. I shrugged. So why are we going out with guys now? Do you even like Russell? She asked. I'm sick of not feeling anything. Maybe this will help spark something in us. I told her. Pfff. You're grasping at straws Tia. She told me. I knew she was right, but I didn't think that it would hurt either. Worse comes to worse, I'll go right back to denying his advancements. I turned my attention back to the missions, and managed to assign a few before someone barged in my office. "Tia!" Acaisia yelled as she stormed in my office. "Yes Acaisia?" I asked. I looked up to see Ahkari walk in after twin. She looked at me, and rolled her eyes, mouthing 'sorry' to me. The two of them are completely identical except for their personalities. Acaisia is a wild child, and Ahkari is gentle. They have light blonde hair that matches our mothers, only their's are perfectly straight. Ahkari has hers cut short, it just barley reaches her shoulders. Acaisia keeps hers long, and flowing down her back ending right abover her butt. They both have our fathers deep blue eyes. "Send us on a mission please!" Acaisia begged. "I need to kill someone after this past week." She told me. Ahkari scrunched her face at her twin. "And what exactly happened to you that was so bad?" Acaisia turned her head at her twin. "If one more mother f*****g asshat of a future Alpha asks me to be their Luna imma lose it! I'm not Luna material! They should know that." She ranted. Her twin laughed. "You slept with like half of them." Ahkari stated. Acaisia crossed her arms over her chest, and stuck her nose in the air. "Exactly why they should know better." I rolled my eyes. "Okay enough. You're not going on a mission. Train if you need to blow off steam. Kill each other. Just leave me alone, I need some peace." The twins shared a look, and then looked back at me. "When's Robby's friend supposed to be here?" Ahkari asked. "Tomorrow." I looked up at the two of them. "Leave him alone when he gets here. He already doesn't have a good view of our family, and I don't need to give him another reason to hate us. Acaisia." I made sure to emphasize her name. "No fun." She replied. I stood up and gathered my papers. "I need to go home, and get ready. You two leave. Go find something to do." "Ooooou what are you getting ready for?" Acaisia asked. I paused, and cleared my throat. "I have a date tonight." Nothing but silence followed. I looked up to see the twins staring at me like I had grown two heads. "I'm sorry." Acaisia said, and gave me a laugh. "I thought you said you had a date." "I did." I said as I walked out the door. I locked my office up behind us, and headed for home. "With who?" Ahkari asked. "Russell obviously. Who else would ask her out?" Acaisia said. She ran up, and swung her arm around my shoulders. "Let us help you get ready." She suggested. "No." I said firmly. "Hmm, you're right. Ahkari can't help. Just me then." She said making her twin huff. I didn't answer her as we walked back to the house. The twins went back and fourth about what I should wear the whole way back. I knew that I wouldn't win. Acaisia had a way of breaking everyone's boundaries. She didn't care what I had to say, which is why I gave up. I didn't really care to begin with, but I also had no idea what I was doing. Once we entered the house the twins booked it up the stairs for my bedroom before I could stop them. I rolled my eyes, and walked to the kitchen. Grabbing a few bottles of water I walked up the stairs. My bedroom door was open, and the light was on letting me know I was right that the twins were in there. I walked in to find them throwing clothes out of my closet. "You two are making a mess." I commented as I set my papers on my bed. "You have no cute clothes. Just T-shirts, and jeans." Acaisia complained. I looked down at my current outfit, and frowned. I'm in simple blue jeans with a black tank top. I thought we looked fine. Nyla grumbled. Me too. I said back. Nyla has been in my mind all day, which is unusal for her. I found I actually enjoyed it though. "I'm going to see if Aureaila left something in her closet." Acaisia announced, and then walked through the bathroom that connected to our sister's old bedroom. Ahkari shook her head, and chuckled at her twin. "Come sit." She said as she ushered me to my vanity that I've never used before. "I don't have any makeup." I told her. She tucked her blonde hair behind her ears, and smiled at me through the mirror. "I know. I grabbed mine. Don't worry I'll make it subtle." She said, and gave me a wink. I let out a tired breath. "Okay." Ahkari started brushing my hair. She decided a simple ponytail with my front pieces hanging out was good enough. I have to admit that I did like it. Ahkari turned me around so she could start on my makeup when her twin came back in. "I found this!" She yelled. Acaisia held up a simple black dress. It has a plunging neck line, and seemed to not be too short. "You are gonna look so hot in this. And it shouldn't be so short that you feel uncomfortable." She said. Ahkari, and I stared at her. "I'm surprised you cared at all how I would feel in it." I stated making Ahkari snort. "Oh shut up." She said. ********************************************* About an hour later the twins deemed me ready. I looked at myself in the mirror, and had to admit I was surprised at how good I looked. Ahkari kept her word, and had my makeup minimal. I have blush on my cheeks, mascara making my lashes impossibly long, and a simple red lipstick. The dress Acaisia found for me fit like a glove. The neckline is deeper than I'd pick for myself, but oh well. I'm happy that it fell to my knees, and isn't too short. "Well?" Acaisia asked impatiently. I turned to look at my twin sister. "Thanks." I said. Acaisia's eyes went wide, and her twin laughed at her. The doorbell rang, and Ahkari announced that she'd get it. "Thanks? Really? That's all you have for me?" Acaisia grumbled. Ignoring her, I walked out and down the stairs. Russell is standing at the bottom waiting for me. "Wow.." He breathed out as he looked me up and down. "You look amazing." He told me. "Thank you." I said. The twins were behind him ushering me to say it back. "Uh, you look good too." I said awkwardly. Russell is dressed in a nice button down blue shirt that brings out his blue eyes. He has black jeans on, and ditched the beanie. His hair has that messy look girls love so much. "Thanks." He said smiling. "Ready?" He asked, and I nodded. "Have fun you two! Don't do anything I wouldn't do!" Acaisia called. Russell opened the car door for me, and I got in. He ran around the car, and hopped in the driver seat. "Where are we going?" I asked. "We are gonna go to the city, and have dinner at this fancy restaurant, and then I was thinking a walk on the beach." He told me. ********************************************* About a half an hour later Russell is parking his car. He told me not to get out, and ran around the car to open the door for me. "Thanks." I mumbled out. Russell laced his fingers with mine, and lead me inside the restaurant. I looked down at our intwind hands. Nothing. I felt nothing. We were seated quickly, and Russell was not lying when he said this place is fancy. It looks like a five star restaurant. "This place really is fancy." I said. "Yeah." He gave an awkward laugh. "My family owns it." "Oh." Was all I said. "Can you read the menu? It's all in French. I can help you if you want." He offered. I opened the menu, and looked it over. "Maybe you can order me something." I said. Russell chuckled at me. "I'll order us something good. Anything your opposed to or allerigc to?" He asked. I shook my head. It didn't take long for the waiter to come over to take our order. Russell ordered evreything in French. The waiter walked away, but quickly came back with a bottle of red wine and two glasses. He poured some for each of us before leaving aain. "I didn't know you could speak French." I said trying to make conversation. Russell took a drink of his wine before answering me. "Yeah, my mom taught me. She's from France. Try your wine. It's the best, and imported right from Paris." I took a drink, and was surprised at the sweet taste. "It's good." I said. "I didn't know your mom wasn't from the country." I commented. "Yeah, my dad opened up this place for her. He said it was a little slice of her old home." He told me. Russell and I spent the rest of dinner talking casually. I was happy he was able to keep the conversation going. The food he ordered for me was delicious thankfully. I was enjoying myself honestly. Russell took me to the beach where we walked along the shore. I love the ocean. It wasn't often I got to come here anymore. I miss it. We had been sitting in the sand staring out at the water talking for a few minutes before I yawned. Russell chuckled at me. "I guess we should get you home. You did have a long week." He said as he stood up. Russell held his hand out for me, and I took it. We had been driving for a few minutes before he broke the silence. "So, did you absolutely hate Mate Week?" He asked with a laugh. I rolled my eyes. "I've always hated it." "I can see why. Everyone flocks to your family." He said. "Yeah it's annoying. They just want power. None of them pester me like the rest of my siblings, but I still don't like it. Hosting it was even worse." I told him. "Wait, wait, wait. None of them have ever asked you out?" I shook my head. "Really? I was the only one?" "Yup." I replied. Russell stared at me for a few seonds before returning his attention to the road. "That's unbelievable." He murmured. "Why's that?" I asked. He blew out a loud breath. "Because. You're f*****g hot. Excuse my bluntness, but I find it hard to believe I am the only guy that's ever showed an interest in you." He said. I shrugged. "No one wants the Soulless." I stated. Russell went silent for a moment. "I hate that they call you that." He said it so softly I wasn't sure I heard him right. I looked over at him, and he is staring at the road. "Why?" I asked. "It's just a dumb nickname." "Doesn't it bother you?" He asked. I shook my head. "Not really." We had just pulled in the driveway of my house. "Well, it bothers me." He mumbled, and then turned in his seat to look me in the eyes. "You are not soulless Atiana." He told me sternly. I just stared at him. What was I supposed to say? I feel soulless. He wouldn't understand that. No one ever did. "Thanks Russell." I unbuckled my seatbelt, and put my hand on the door handle. "Wait, let me." He said, and then jumped out of the car and ran over to me. He's cute. Nyla said. I guess. I replied. Russell opened my door, and held his hand out for me. I took it, and he laced out fingers together. He walked me to the front door, but paused. "I had a really good time tonight Atiana. I hope you did too." He said as he drew small circles on the back of my hand. "I actually did. Thank you Russell." I said. Russell seemed to hesitate for a minute, but I'm not sure what he wants. He wants a kiss. Nyla told me. I don't really feel anything for him. I told her. Maybe you will if you kiss him. She suggested. What kind of wolf encourages their other half to do things like that with someone who isn't their mate? "Atiana can I.." I looked up at Russell, and could tell he felt a little awkward. "Can I kiss you?" He asked as his face went slightly red. "Uh, sure." I said. Russell grabbed my waist with one hand, and pulled me closer to him. He brushed a few stray hairs from my face, and cupped my cheek. His eyes flickered between mine and my lips. He leaned in, and pressed his lips to mine gently. I half expected fireworks, or happiness, or something. Nothing. I felt nothing. Russell moved his lips along mine, and I followed suit. After a few seconds he pulled away from me. "Wow.." He whispered as he let me go. I put my hand on the doorknob, and opened it. "Goodnight Russell." I said as I slipped inside. "Goodnight." He said as I closed the door. I leaned against it, and sighed. Well? Nyla asked as I walked up the stairs. Nothing. I said. Nyla huffed in my head as I reached my bedroom. I showered quickly so I could just get into my bed. As I was getting dressed my phone went off. Belle had tried to call me a couple times, and I had a few texts from her. One was less than a minute ago so I knew she was still awake. I decided to call her back. She picked up on the first ring. "Where the hell have you been? I stopped by earlier, but the twins said you were on a date." She snorted. "Can you believe they'd lie like that?" She asked. "Like I'm not your best friend. You tell me everything. So where were you?" "They didn't lie to you. I was out on a date." I said. The line went silent, and I thought we got disconnected. "Belle?" I asked. "I'm still here. I'm just... shocked." She said. "So you really let Russell take you out?" She asked a little giddy. "Yeah." Was all I said. "I thought you were waiting for your mate." She said softly. Belle knew me too well. "What if I don't have one?" I asked. Belle scoffed. "Oh please. If anyone deserves a mate it's you." She told me. "Yeah I guess." I mumbled. "So, how was it? Guy's been asking you out for years, I bet it was a dream!" She gushed. I sighed. "It was nice. I actually had a good time. He took me to a fancy restaurant where I couldn't even pronounce the words, and then a walk on the beach." I told her. "Wow, that is a dream date." She said, and then paused for a moment. "So, why do you sound so blah about it?" She asked. "I don't know. I didn't feel anything." I told her. "Ahh Atiana. That's because he isn't your mate." She teased. "Want me to come over?" She asked. "No. I'm tired. I just called you back because you were blowing up my phone." I told her. "Oh that reminds me. Robby's friend Max's flight was early. That's why I was calling you. He arrived a couple hours ago." She told me. "Alright. I'll meet with you guys tomorrow." I said, and then yawned. "Goodnight." "Goodnight my beautiful best friend." I crawled into bed, and hugged my pillow. Finally, some rest. It took less than a minute for me to succome to the darkness. ********************************************* Pounding on my door woke me. I groaned, and put a pillow over my head. "Oh big sister!" Acaisia called. "Time to get up!" I ignored her. "Come on Atiana! It's 11 A.M. you never sleep this long." "Okay, okay I'm up." I called back. I sat up in my bed, and stretched. Sleepily, I walked to the bathroom, and brushed my teeth. Looking at myself in the mirror I decided to brush my hair, and put it up in a high ponytail. Walking into my closet I dressed in light blue jeans, and a white tank top. Nyla had been pacing in my mind ever since I woke up. What is going on with you? I asked her. I don't know. Something is gonna happen. I can feel it. She told me. I frowned. A bad something? I asked. Something life changing. She said. That didn't really answer my question.. I brushed her off, and headed downstairs to the kitchen. Neither of the twins seemed to be here anymore, and I was thankful. I poured myself a cup of coffee in a travel mug. Taking a sip I sighed. Heaven, pure black coffee is heaven. Grabbing my papers I brought down with me, I walked out the door. I stared down at them as I walked to the school. Man, my brain feels foggy this morning. Nyla all of your pacing is giving me a headache. I told her grumpily. Sorry. She mumbled. I rolled my eyes, and walked through the front doors. A few of the first year Black Ops members greeted me as I walked to my office. I unlocked the door, and walked in. Walking over to my desk I set the papers down, and looked out the big window behind me. I could see some of the first years training, my sisters included. At least they are finally doing some training. Sitting down at my desk I began assigning missions. I was still having a hard time focusing with Nyla's pacing. After a couple hours there was a knock to my door. "Come in." I called not looking up from my papers. The door opened, and the most amazing smell hit my nose. Mint and dark chocolate. Nyla started going nuts inside my head, and I had to fight against the headache she's giving me. "Good afternoon Tia." Belle said. "Hi Belle." I said not looking up from my papers. "Did you bring snacks with you or something?" I asked still not looking up. I was almost finished with these assignments. "Uh, no but I brought my mate, and his friend." She said amused. My head snapped up, and I connected eyes with Robby, and then my best friend. "Sorry." I mumbled as I stood up. I was about to ask where his friend was when the sexiest man I have ever seen walked into my office. He is very large. Almost a full foot taller than me, and more muscle than Ambrose. Which is saying a lot, there weren't many people in the realms bigger than him. The man has golden blonde hair, a few shades darker than my own. It was tied in a bun at the back of his head with strays framing his face. He's wearing boots, dark jeans, and a black V-neck shirt. His left arm is covered in intricate tattoos that disappeared behind the short sleeve of his shirt. He reached his hand out, and smiled at me, revealing a perfect set of dimples. I took his hand, and sparks erupted up my arm. I looked into his honey colored eyes as he spoke. "Hi, I'm Max." Now I knew why Nyla had been acting so weird all day. She went even crazier in my head once she realized who Max is. MATE! MATE! MATE!
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD