BROKEN MIRRORS ARE A BAD THING

1867 Words
I walked straight to the corridor heading to the cafeteria without hesitation. I've been hungry from the moment I started painting. The paintbrush weighs like barbells to me as much as painting felt like an investigation into an assassination. It's draining my strength and stored food inside. Though I haven't done much on that painting, it's lunchtime, so I should be craving some lunch. Students were all sitting at the tables in the cafeteria loudly eating their food as I searched and saw the twins at a distance sitting on the table nearest to the line, which was odd to see. They don't like noise though? Why would they want to get into the line while the noisiest is in there? They're at the area where students line up to get their food. I half- closed my eyes and focused on seeing if something was new or unusual, as I ignored the noisy environment and there is this unusual way of sitting he has now. Joen, one of the twins, likes to sit with his feet all inside the table. But it's swaying oddly outside it. With a mirror? I sighed as I walked towards them, figuring out what was going on. I got into them in an instant, pressing my lips together and stepped on his foot as mightly as I could, crushing the mirror and his foot. He stood with his face in horror as he stared at the crushed mirror and looked up to see who it was. "Ava? Come on", thinking that he couldn't grab the collar of someone who had stepped on his foot, he just fell into his seat while glaring at Jay, who was laughing. Joen and Jay are like twins, like Jack and Jill in the song. They're not twins though, their name just happens to start with J- who cares. And their faces are oddly identical and the same for someone who is not twins. They look exactly the same, except that Joen had blonde hair and a little long compared to Jay's black and short hair. The only thing that can help you determine the two apart. If they do the same hairstyle, there is no way you can determine which is which. "You broke the mirror. Broken mirrors are a bad thing". I rolled my eyes at seeing the people around the cafeteria and stared at the girls in line, not even finding out someone was peeking in their underwear. The question is, why would they even wear a skirt of the same size as their underwear? Why not just wear underwear? Doesn't make any difference though? Right, their life, not mine. I threw my bag at a chair and took a seat. "What are you even doing?", I took a slice of pizza and ate it while looking at him still in pity at the mirror. "It's called looking inside a girl's skirt without using a hand", he said, raising his hands and Jay just chuckled, knowing the kind of brother he has, while I made an eww face. What a p*****t! "Why? Girls around figure out you're not as handsome and hot as they think to let your hands under their skirts, so you need the mirror?" "Nah, something better. I'm so hot that they follow me around after leaving my hands inside. The mirror is a preview, which is better to sneak my hands in." That was more grosser than I imagined that I smacked him on his nape. "I was telling him to stop getting his hands under everyone. He might make a mistake and slide into someone else's underwear", Joen stared at Jay and then at me with a puzzled look. "Uhh, whose underwear?" "Gays", Jay and I both said in unison and Joen, finally getting to the point, made a very disgusted look while Jay laughed teasingly as if he meant something else by what he said, so we both looked at him with a confused look. "You won't believe what I'll tell you, Ava, but you'll actually believe this and will die laughing. after", he wiggled his eyebrows more like teasing someone as I followed where he was staring at, which was Joen, as he was staring straight at Joen's eyes with an expression as if laughing at someone without laughing and Joen's locked on Jay. "Stop, bro. Don't you dare bring that up", okay! It's confirmed then. Joen, is Jay's target. "Come on, what happened? Tell me!", Joen had this terrible expression like, you're not gonna tell her, aren't you? And then there's Jay, still wiggling his eyebrows, asking Joen, like, try me? In between his eyes and there was me, left with nothing to do because I had no idea about anything, so I had to give them each one of the two could stare at whoever spoke with their eyes, so I could at least get something out of it. Jay ended with a look but he shrugged his shoulders and started telling what happened. "So here's what happened." FLASHBACK “Hey Ava, you sure you’re not coming?”, Jay, with his hands on the phone kissing his ear and his other hands covering his other ear as the banging sound of the music went between the lines as he made his way to the balcony at the second floor of the house and locked the door to quiet the sound a decibel. The door was still thumping because of the loud music from the speakers that crowded all over the house and banging music beating the wholeness of the house. Jay and his twins are both at one of the students of their class’s house for a party and are still waiting for any sign if Ava is to come. “You know parties were never my thing. You just enjoy your asses while I take my rest”, Jay sighed and roamed his eyes around where he took sight of Joen just a meter away from him outside the balcony with his face all kissing the door and an expression of asking. Jay just looked lamely as he unlocked the door and Joen looked dispirited after realizing from Jay’s face that Ava never had the slightest bit of interest in going. They talked for minutes before bidding good bye and ending the call. He dipped his phone in his pockets right after the call was off and opened the door of the balcony to go outside and get to the party with the music that kissed his face the moment he opened the door. Charlie Puth’s Marvin Gaye was screaming at the entire three-storey house and the sound of cans being opened went until the top of the ceiling. The couches splattered all over the house with all the people sitting in different positions, some are sitting on the table and on the stairways and even on the sink, either making out or hanging out with friends. There were a group of fellas playing video games in the other room, the others were shooting ping pong balls in plastic cups, some were playing on car toys. “I feel like I’m watching Marvin Gaye’s Music Video Live”, Joen came out of the blue and stood beside Jay with his naughty smile. “Let’s just stay around here for an hour and visit Ava after. I bet she has not eaten for dinner”, he looked at his watch to chop off the time and locked his hands inside his pockets to see Joen’s face giving off a teasing look. “What?” “You are being all too obvious right now. I'm surprised Ava has not found out yet. I thought we’re both over it- “Shut up”, Jay shrugged his hands off his shoulders and Joen made a loud laugh about it, making Jay to stare at him and turn his gaze away to make an annoying glare at all the people dancing below the disco ball. “Hey Joen, you free?”, both of the twins stared at the back to see a blonde-headed and hot student from their class with all the tiny arms wrapped around his diaphragm. Jay made a small chuckle and cleared his throat after seeing who it was. “Hey Sophie”, Sophie blinked in reply to Jay before kissing Joen’s neck. “I don’t think I know you baby”, Jon turned around to face Sophie and placed his hands around her small waist. “We had the same English class” “Oh? I regret not being able to notice you. But it’s not too late to know each other, right?”, she made some soft giggles and winked before making her way inside a room. “I’ll give you 20 minutes to finish or I’m leaving without you”, Joen made a poker face right after Jay did the countdown, thinking the time allotted was too short. “20 minutes? I can’t finish that quick”, Jay just laughed meaningfully and stared at his watch and to the room where Sophie went to finish his stare right at Joen communicating with his stare to say the sexy girl's gender orientation. “I’ll bet a hundred bucks you’ll get out of that room after 20 minutes”, he made a wide stare at Jay and made a confused face. “I’ll only have my hands on her skirt by that time”, Jay just shrugged his shoulders before leaving and went outside the house as Joen sighed, giving up and followed the chick to the room. Half of the pool was covered with fiber glass made as the floor and the edges lit by lights. Jay got a can of beer and made his way to an empty seat meters away from the pool and hidden from the light, trying to get himself a little tipsy alone and at the quietest place in the house he could be. Joen filled the entire house with his voice shouting Jay’s name 10 minutes later. Jay chuckled as he finished his 4th can of beer and stood to position himself near the pool and somewhere Jon could easily spot him. Seconds later, Jon appeared outside the house with zippers unzipped and a horrified expression, looking around the pool until their gazes met and Jay laughed. “Wow, it took you 10 minutes, pretty quick”, he chuckled as he looked through his watch to see exactly 10 minutes since they parted to look at Joen, widened his eyes and covered his mouth while his other hand locked on his waist. “You knew then?” “Know what? That it's a pet snake like you have down there? Who wouldn’t know?” “Why didn’t you tell me?” “We’ve been in the same English class for months now. How could you not notice?” “Her name- I mean his, name is Sophie!” “His real name is Jacob, a.k.a Sophie. You don’t know nickname exists?” “What the hell bro?!” "Your choices, why you blaming me?"
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD