Prologue

2039 Words
Sari’s POV My heart was thudding against the chest as I embraced my little girl tightly; too afraid she’ll whine and get us busted. The closet we are hiding in is faintly lit and slightly sound-proof; luxurious like everything else in this place. “Mum-ma—” I quickly muffled Ariana’s words with my palm as my heart beats in my ear. I know probably her sound won’t escape these four walls but I am too scared to risk that. Without knowing what’s happening outside, I can’t afford to make a mistake. Not for her! I’ve got to do something; before they catch me, again. “Shhhh…” I mumbled in her ear and she snuggled closer to me. Ignoring the pain in my busted lip and scratched head; I smiled at my daughter who was curiously waiting for an explanation. “Want to play a game sweetheart?” I asked feigning cheery voice as she bobbed her head; excitedly. Why wouldn’t she? We are been hiding here from past fifteen minutes and being the she-devil; it must have taken a lot from her end to be quite. “This game is more like… captain America. You love him, right?” I asked and she was about to clap her hands but I instantly grabbed them, placing a kiss on it. “Cap, Aye!” She gushed as her cheek blushed. Oh my sweetheart is crushing already over Captain. “So, mumma is going to go out there; fight the bad guys and you’ll stay here fighting the bad bugs, okay?” I asked and she didn’t like it. “Bugs are more dangerous honey.” I informed her with seriousness and she made a poker face which instantly reminded me of Adrian; making my heart stop. “You’ll do it, for me?” I asked hopelessly and she finally nodded her head with a serious expression. “I’ll get you a mobile which you’ll use to call uncle Tan.” I informed and she gave me a toothy smile. “You remember his number, don’t you?” I was getting desperate and she eagerly nodded her head. “Great! So, let’s begin this game.” I raised our fists in the air and bumped it like she does it with her father and pecked her lips. Tears streamed down my cheeks with the wary feeling in my stomach. I wish, I desperately wish that this isn’t our goodbye. Jesus, please… Help us survive. I am not ready to let go of her just now. Finally taking sharp breath, I gave an overall glance at my daughter and slid out of the closet; ensuring to leave it slightly opened. There were footsteps outside and I instantly tried to hide but to my dismay, a bulky man dashed inside. My eyes fell on the long lamp-stand few distances apart from me. I made a dash and grabbed it but the man was already holding my ankle. I fell face-forward, receiving the impact on my nose. My vision blurred for a moment; air got knocked but soon felt him pulling me up. “s**t! Boss would kill me if something happened to your face.” He cursed and I sized this chance to steady myself. The rod was still in my hand when he pulled back and miserable searched for something; maybe to clean my face. Gripping the rod tightly, I took a sharp breath and swing it around watching it hit his head in a slow-motion. The man stilled for a second before his head lulled back and fell on the ground with a loud thud. My whole body shook. The sound of the metal hitting his skull was loud and clear in my head and it shook me internally. I just hope he isn’t dead! Oh god! What now? I was fidgeting when his fingers moved. Scared and afraid, I instantly hit him repeatedly on his head and if I was feeling guilty earlier; this time, I certainly was. The blood oozed out of his head and I knew he was dead. I killed a man! My legs shook violently but I slumped down beside him; checking his pockets. I need to leave here as soon as possible! I cannot handle this… alone. Pulling out a phone from his pants pocket, I rushed to the closet. “Mum-ma” My heart leaped in my throat when I heard my daughter’s distant voice. She was still crouching in the closet; too obedient to come out and I sighed in relief. I rushed to Ariana; forcing a smile through my busted lips. Her eyes twitched but she didn’t say anything. I cupped her face and gulped down the lump in my throat as my mouth went dry for the fear of my daughter. “Mum, no bug.” She pouted while I smiled with teary gaze. “Hun, I know you’ll find one soon but for now; do you remember Uncle Tan’s number?” I asked hoping she does as the shouts from outside the hallway were getting louder. Ariana’s eyes twinkled at Tan’s name and she bobbed her little head in ‘yes’. I smiled letting a dry sob fell out of my lips. Thanks Lord, above! “Can you call him, for momma? Ask him to track this number.” I made her repeat it after me and she assured she would; immediately dialing up some number. There was a loud crash right outside this room and I jumped in fear. Instantly turning to my daughter; I pecked her lips and cooed. “Momma loves you sweetheart; don’t you dare forget this.” I smothered her face and left her, sliding the closet door after me. Before the men could reach her, I better head out and so I did. As soon as I sneaked out, making my way towards the stairs that were situated in the mid; I was grabbed from behind and shoved mercilessly in a room. I fought against it until a fist landed on my face and I fell down face-wards on the marble cold floor. “Out” That familiar deep baritone voice made me shiver in disgust. I eyed the two bulky men leave at his order. Anger, fear and adrenaline rushed through my blood as I stared at the blue-eyed celebrity-hunk who was nothing but a disgusting piece of s**t! Thomas walked upto me and grabbed my hair painfully. “Finally, we have you.” His brown shaggy hair bigger than the last time; fell on his perfect shaped eyebrows. Pain shoot like sharp needles from my hair-tip to entire scalp as he pulled my hair tightly in his grasp. My palms were caging his arm in desperate hopes to free myself from his viscous-jerking movement of my hair; pushed his hand away but failed as his hold only tightened on my brown locks. My head twisted slightly to watch him through narrow slits of my eyes. I tried my best to not wince but couldn’t! “Ah!” I hissed biting my lip immediately; ignoring the pain through my busted lip and bruised forehead. Eyes sting with the increasing pain but I have to keep it together; I need to keep it together in front of this sick couple. Thomas eyes beaming in delight while mine threw daggers in his direction which he ignored like a pro and turned to face his bored-beauty—Stella; still holding me down on the floor. “Let go of me or else—” I was interjected by none other than the dumb-wit beauty who gave me ‘what’ look. “Adrian will kill you!” I snapped but they pulled their faces back and burst out laughing as if that was the biggest joke of their life. “Alright, time for action then.” Thomas gave a dismissed answer and crouched down, in front of me. A loud gasp followed and our eyes turned to Stella’s blue-widened orbs. “What are you doing?” She straightened from against the wall and stormed to Thomas. “You never kneel in front of anyone!” her disbelief evident in her face and voice to which Thomas frowned. “Don’t interfere!” He hissed at Stella and I seized this opportunity to risk my chance. Biting hard on his forearm; not caring if few strands were pulled out completely and caused me pain that lead to massive headache. Thomas winced and withdrew his hand instantly while I stumbled on my limped leg and made a dash to the door right behind their back. “Catch her!” Thomas yelled in fury but my heart palpitated knowing this was my only chance to escape him. I don’t know the way but I need to try. As I was wheezing through the hallway and down the stairs, I lost my balance and slipped on the stairs. A surprised shriek erupted from my mouth followed by the numbness as I hit and bounced on every sharp-marble stairs. I came to a halt and lay there lifeless. Forgetting how to breathe; pain was overpowering me but the running footsteps brought me back to the senses. I tried to get up by rolling to my side and pushing myself off the ground. My hand almost slipped on the little blood that came from somewhere out of me. Must be my head! For now, I really want to escape. I glanced in front and ran with tears in my eyes. Jesus! Just… just this time… My vision was blinding as I made to the doorway. My feet staggered, I stumbled and the pain in my abdomen was increasing. I closed my eyes shut, bent down in pain as I hold my stomach tightly; trying to catch some breath. “Ughhh!” I cried in my throat due to this terrible pain but I have no time. I ran outside and halted momentarily when I spotted a very familiar figure at a far end. Even from this distance, I could make that silhouette out easily. His hair tousled through the wind outside as he made his way towards me. My breathing was ragged, more than earlier as I found a new strength and ran towards him; only to be touched with multiple fingers on my back. Shivering in fear; I jerked forward and successfully escaped their hold and ran frantically but fell on my face as I started to lose my vision. An evil laughter echoing behind but I willed myself to run back. Only few more steps… Adrian is there to hold me. I was sure, once he is here; he’ll kill every freaking mother-effer who turned me into a damaged woman. So, I growled and fought the unconsciousness to stand up on my feet. The pain was terrible! It felt like bones were piercing through bones and tearing apart tissues but I have to do this! With a loud cry, I stood when Thomas warning stopped me in my track. “Your husband doesn’t know but dare step out of these bushes and he’ll be gone!” His words sounded honest but could he be trusted? Never! So, I ignored and decided to cover up half the distance to reach Adrian who was shouting something but couldn’t be heard. I ran and heard Thomas yell from the back. But I ran… I ran until something smashed under my feet! Shocked; I turned my gaze to check my surroundings. The bushes lined on both the sides and slowly I lifted my feet when my world fell apart. *BOOM* A loud powerful thrust threw me away back few distances apart as my mind got blocked! All I could recall was him; him running towards me… my feet hitting a bomb trigger and he—blew off! A sharp pain hit my chest as I clearly could picture his shreds blowing away in the dark night. “No…” I whispered under my breath. It ain’t true! “No…” I shook my head internally; willing to forget it all. Hoping it was all a freaking nightmare… Praying desperately for the end of this nightmare but the ear-humming was screaming it to be true. A hand touched mine and I hopefully turned my eyes only to find a cold face staring back at me. I could feel myself being pulled up and against him as he caressed my cheek and said- “I warned you, didn’t I?” Thomas’s words were shattering my falling heart into pieces. The guilt started crawling at my cells as I screamed mentally at him to say it was all a prank. “Tsk… Tsk… Tsk… Now don’t be like this! I told you but see what your stubbornness caused. You killed your own husband! You murdered him because you couldn’t follow what I said.” His words dissipated in the wind and all I could rethink was. Adrian was gone… Adrian was gone due to me… I killed my own husband… I was petrified that I no longer felt Thomas caresses on my cheek; no longer felt my pain through the second degree burn and obviously did not feel the commotion around me as darkness enveloped me.   
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD