Chapter 2: The Fearful People

2048 Words
Tan’s POV Adrian’s name flashed on the screen and I answered it instantly. “Find everything about Thomas Jenkinson.” “Yes, Boss!” I answered and sent a quick text from my other phone. “Adrian, was it?” Dad entered just then and I smiled at the baby in his hand. Ariana can walk now but he wouldn’t ever let her. She is really going to be spoiled. Not that I am complaining. “Unckie!” She squealed and I chuckled before picking her up from Sr. Martin’s arms. “Hello, princess.” I rubbed our noses and she giggled before biting it off. “Ah!” I pretended regardless the real pain. Her brown eyes dropped and she pecked my nose carefully, melting my heart. I was quick to kiss her forehead before setting her down on her feet. She is a bouncing ball—ready to bump into something. “Indeed.” I finally answered Mr. Martin who was now sipping his coffee which the maid has served and gone. “Are they enjoying themselves?” He asked and I felt a pang in my chest. “He had a task for me.” I informed and knew he wouldn’t drop the subject here so rushed to finish it. “To find about Thomas Jenkinson.” I stated and he stopped abruptly. His eyes turned sharply at me, titling an eyebrow in the process. “You know him?” I asked and he placed the cup back on the center table before crossing his legs; leaning back in its comfort. “Yes, very well. His father and I signed a pact together.” He answered and I was suddenly interested. Signing a pact? That means the man is powerful. “What kind?” I asked and he gestured me to sit, ensuring Ariana was safely playing. “His father is a well known mafia leader but he died few years back in a mysterious way. I am sure it was a murder. Anyway, owning the mafia groups in the entire eastern hemisphere; the Jenkinson are powerful and fearless people. No one messes with them. But, every illegal profession has their limits. Being the righteous King, I didn’t allow them to flourish in the western and that irked them up. We were against each other and he tried his best to sabotage my work. However, he tried; he couldn’t stop me. The fight ended up with him losing his African and Italian groups which were of utmost importance. Thus, we ended up signing a pact wherein he would stay in his territory and won’t attack us or my clients while I wouldn’t ever interfere in his work. A peaceful treaty; as we called.” Richard finished speaking and now I felt unsure of it. “Why would Adrian ask about it?” Richard muttered to himself and I just kept my mouth shut. It would be safe to assume that the two has crossed their paths but in what circumstances? From Adrian’s tone, I can bet it wasn’t a good way. *** *Ring* *Ring* I phished out my phone and instantly put it back seeing Molley’s name. “Sir, the file you asked is ready.” One of the heeler appeared with a yellow file and placed it on the table before leaving. I quickly took it and checked the contents. Name- Thomas Adam Jenkinson Age- 29 years old Born- Manchester, UK Siblings- None Spouse- None Father- Edward Adam Jenkinson Mother- Emily A. Jenkinson Occupation- British Actor Awards- Three Oscars, ten times the Emmy Award winner, four times The Academy Award winner and seven times won the Tony award. Side business- Mafia leader   All the other details blurred when ‘Mafia’ word caught my attention. Could it be possible that he was the one to kill his father? As I was lost in my own thoughts, the door to the study opened and I snapped my head to find Molley standing there. I controlled myself from leashing out on her due to the earlier behavior. “Sorry, Tan.” She appeared sincere and I don’t know how to behave now. Guess, Sari would’ve asked to give another chance? “Never repeat it again.” I informed and she smiled brightly before running to me. Her arms hooked around my neck before her soft lips planted kisses on my cheek. I pulled back and gave a curt nod. “You ate?” I asked and she was shocked. “I thought you’ll never ask.” She said and I c****d an eyebrow at her. Surely, I ain’t that bad. Pressing the bell button on the desk, I awaited when the butler headed in. “Prepare Italian cuisine for Ms. Blackwater and ensure the table is set… um…” I felt hesitant to say the word ‘romantically’ but he seemed to have guessed it. “Sure, sir.” He bowed slightly and disappeared. If we cannot go out for a ‘date’ we can always set it inside and watch over Ariana. “I think am going to faint.” Molley commented the moment she saw the table which the butler had arranged for us. Near the lounge; the peach table cloth draped in asymmetry and a vase in the centre with different light colored roses, adorned it. There were candles as well and the light penetrating in the room was blocked with heavy curtains to help the candles glow beautifully; despite the afternoon hours. I take it that she loved it when she instantly grabbed my face and kissed my cheek. “Thank you so much, Tan. You really are thoughtful.” She was about to kiss me on the lips but I held her shoulders back. “I… try.” I answered awkwardly and she sighed. In the past two months, I have never kissed her. Maybe pecked her forehead and back of the hand but never on the lips. I don’t feel comfortable with it and have explained that before. Molley somehow thinks it will be normal if we do it but I just… cannot. Her face saddened for a split second before she smiled back and gestured to start our own short date. Short; as she would be leaving soon and I’ve to return back to the work. She was narrating how her day was going and I listened attentively. I was trying my best to be the best boyfriend. This is what Sari wants me to be but somehow, there was no connection between us. At times, I feel she can feel it too but then why is she pushing it? I need to know. As I glance at her, there’s nothing to point out as default (except for her bitchiness at times) but as Terrance says that might be for my attention. Otherwise, the girl is really… good? Her black hairs are long and I really like them. They appear to be smooth but never touched them, honestly. I don’t want to corrupt her until I am sure about ‘this’ whatever I am trying to achieve with her. Molley’s blue eyes are what someone would term as ‘captivating’ but regardless of how I stare into them to catch the magic; I failed every time. All I could miss are those brown eyes which are so common; not for me, though. Sari’s eyes are mischievous, rebellious and a timeline with story. A smile formed on my lips and I failed to saw Molley’s surprised look. Before I could have asked, my phone buzzed and I excitedly answered it. “Mrs. Martin?” I asked and heard some shuffling at her end. “Tan! How are you? I am just calling to check on Ariana. Is she alright?” Her soft voice soothed me and involuntarily, a smile set on my lips which pissed Molley. “Yes, Mrs. Martin. Ariana is doing great. Watching her ‘frozen’.” I informed and could hear her laugh at the other end. “Jesus Christ! I hope you aren’t fed up just yet because my girl would be going on with it for atleast two more times.” Sari said and I chuckled, completely forgetting about Molley. “Oh! Adrian wanted to speak to you.” She quickly passed onto him and I was back to my bodyguard mode. “The information is on my desk, sir.” I reported knowing well why he wanted to talk. “Good. Tan, how are you?” He asked but as a brother, this time. “I am doing as usual. Just missing a drinking partner.” I confessed but soon a loud thud followed, making me cringe. From the peripheral, I watched Molley stood and leave not before throwing daggers in my direction. I massaged my temple watching her go. “What was that sound?” Adrian’s question pulled me back to him and I shook my head as if he could see it. “Never mind. I was supposed to be on a date and—” I started but was interjected. “It didn’t end well? Gawd! You are a pathetic boyfriend.” I heard him laugh and could only chuckle lightly. “Whatever!” I shrugged. After talking for few more minutes, I hung up and left a quick text to Molley as apology. I sighed wondering why was I still trying it out when I was failing desperately at this boyfriend thing. I am good as a bodyguard and not as a boyfriend. I think that’s why god hooked Sari with Adrian and never me as he already knew how terrible I would be. Suddenly, my jaw clenched at the mere thought of not having her as mine until there was a tug at my pant. Glancing, I found Ariana in tears. “Hey, baby. What happened?” I asked immediately crouching to her level and pulling her into my arms. “Mum-ma…” and she cried. I panicked and kissed her cheek before I called out for Mathilde. She was quick with her formula and took Ariana from me. At times, I wished so badly that Ariana should’ve received her mother’s look. The more I look at her, I guilty I feel knowing I was unintentionally betraying my brother. At first no one knew, well except my own brother. He smirked but never dare mention it to me. As a suggestion, he asked me to date which was why I thought of accepting it when Sari voiced out her desire of me and Molley being together and seeing how it would work. Nevertheless, it isn’t going well and I think it’s time to stop leading the girl to a blind end. Molley is infatuated with me ever since she saw me with Adrian in that damned hospital. She was infuriated for not being able to see what my eyes look like. So, she threw that fit in frustration. Also, Molley was angry that I never spared her a glance but could you blame me? I am a man of my duty; attentive and protective of my employer (just that in this case they are more than just my employers). When I first agreed, she was over the moon and demanded to see my eyes up-close and I nodded. It wasn’t just a big deal, I guess. However, I have fantasized many times replacing Molley with Sari. I badly wanted to know if Sari found me handsome, if she likes me and if she ever found me attractive. Too bad that I can only fantasize about these. *** It’s been three weeks and I was just drifting to sleep when my phone pinged with notification. Yawning, I fumbled with my phone only to straighten up in my bed. Adrian: We’ll are coming back. Get the file on my desk and arrange all the important meetings for tomorrow. What??? They’ll be here! I never realized how happy I was. All these past weeks, I was missing them a lot; her, a lot. They mean so much to me that I knew but never realized the extent until I felt their absence. It was hard for me to function normally without them; without seeing a glimpse of her. I wonder if she would glow like she glowed during her pregnancy. I know you must think why I didn’t feel jealous about it because Adrian is the best husband she could’ve found. The guy was already head over heels in love with her; even before I realized my own feelings. So, knowing she was pregnant hit me differently but I became too protective of her. My phone buzzed again and this time the message was from her. Mrs. Martin: Hi, how are you doing? We’ll be there in four hours. Thank you so much for watching over Ariana. You are the best! My heart paced abnormally just reading her message. She always compliments me- ‘You are amazing, Tan.’ ‘How do you tolerate Adrian?’ ‘Tan, you have a great taste!’ There will be scenarios when she would just pass me her grateful smile and I would feel giddy over it. I suddenly want to have all of it—all of her! “f**k! Tan! Clear your head.” I reprimanded myself for thinking like that. “She’s your sister-in-law for f**k’s sake!” I scolded myself. ‘A pretty sister-in-law’ my stupid conscience pointed it out which will, someday, land me in trouble.   
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD