Chapter 3: Initiation

1073 Words
                                                                                           Melani January 10, 2198, Underground Military Dormitory Ilumina, Planet of Metro   My link rang in the middle of the night where the underground is in complete darkness. I groaned from my sleep as I pull my link out from underneath the bed. It wasn’t the usual sound of my military link, nor my new link.   It was the revolutionary army, most probably my uncle. I reported my reassignment to them when I arrived so why are they calling me? Not to mention in the middle of the freaking night. I flipped over my bed, propping my elbow up as I pick up the link.   I swiped the screen to answer the call, looking at the caller before leaning the link on my ear.   "Melani speaking," I greeted with no enthusiasm, grumbling as I yawn.   "It's me, your Uncle Rodel," the other end introduced. So it is uncle. I wonder why he’s calling such late in the night. I checked the clock above the wall, seeing it’s only two in the morning.   "Is there something that happened that you have to call me this early in the morning?" I said, rolling myself around the bed.   "We received reports from the underground legions that the Espians are creating a new technology," he began. "The leader wants you to investigate,"   "Why me? This is the first time the leader has given me a direct mission," I pointed, wondering.   For the seven years I've spent being a member of the Revolutionary Army, not once have I ever interacted with the leader. I only saw the leader when I first arrived on their territory and whenever he passes by the training grounds. So it’s strange for me to be given a task directly from him, even if I'm just a spy.   "It was the leader's request that you're the one to do it. Not to mention, you are in the right place to investigate it." Uncle Rodel answered.   If uncle says I’m in the right place to investigate, it means the new technology is somewhere within the research facilities on the South Underground Base. My only problem is having access within.   "Since it's a direct order from the leader I'll do it. Can you tell me more about this new technology and what it can do?" I asked.   "Ah yes, from what we were told, the new technology doesn't have a name yet and is currently in the process of experimentation and testing. It is said to be being produced within the underground research facilities of Metro (where you're currently at). "The use of it is still unclear but from our sources have gathered, it is possible that it has something to do with cosmos and dark energy." Uncle explained.   So that's why I was the one ordered for the mission. I'll just have to find a way to know more. That won't be as easy as before though. This is a new environment for me and a new battlefield. Many people might suspect here than in Nozueq. Especially the general.   Cosmos and dark energy? Did they discover a new science in the galaxy? The revolutionary army finds this new technology a threat, which means it’s might be something that can be used against us. A weapon.   "Oh, and our leader has been changed," Uncle added, stirring a new sense of curiosity within me.   "We have a new leader?" I asked. "What happened to the old one?" My brows furrowed, crunching as I wonder what happened while I was gone.   "The former leader died days after we retreated. There was a long debate that happened soon afterwards that caused me to not able to contact you for a while. Everything was resolved now so there's nothing to worry," Uncle explained, his static voice clicking on the link.   A flicker of doubt lit in my thoughts. Uncle is hiding something, after all, he’s not the type of person to leave things as it is. He is someone who answers my questions straight-forwardly. I’ve been separated from them for five years. I know nothing about them anymore.   His signal is weak, must be because the antennas couldn't detect any signal from where they are. No service. Communicating with each other is hard enough because we are not connected with Espian’s technological system.   The new revolutionary base is a complete mystery for the Espians, and even for some of the Revolutionary divisions. The announcement of its location may not be anytime soon, too. Even I have no idea of where they are.   "So who's the new leader now? And where's the new base located?" I asked, hoping my questions would be answered.   "Well, about that, the leader actually gave me a direct order to not tell you who he is just yet."   A he? So it's a man. But why would the leader want to keep his identity a secret from me? “Why?”   “I can’t tell you… yet. But rest assured the revolutionary army is in good hands,” he dodged. "As for the location, I'll send you an encrypted code of it."   "Understood, Uncle. Is that all?" I responded. I didn’t push my luck, knowing I won’t be told either way. Whoever is our new leader, he must be someone I’ve met. They wouldn’t hide his identity to me unless that’s the case.   "Yes, good luck out there Mel, and… I’m sorry for you to experience this." Uncle stated, a tint of sadness in his voice.   "I'll be fine and it’s not your fault. It’s theirs," I assured as my expression turned into a glower, looking through the pitch-black room I am in. My fists clenched into a ball, the memories of my tragic past slipping into my mind.   I will never forgive them. I will never forgive those who take our freedom away from us.   "We fight for Phillis," Uncle quoted.   "We fight for Phillis," I repeated, humming the words in the air. We fight for Phillis.   The call ended with three beeps and silence covered the room once again. A new mission. I headed back to bed, unable to sleep as I think about my new mission. What could this new technology do?                                                                                       *****                                                                              End of Chapter  
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD