Chapter 4: Hyperbeam Fuse

2371 Words
Melani January 16, 2198 Ilumina Military Headquarters, Planet of Metro, “Colonel Lieutenant Melani,” a voice called. I turn around, seeing the Colonel calling for me from the other end of the corridor. I combed my hair slight on the side and marched towards the Colonel with a straightened back. “You called, Sir,” I acknowledged, giving him a glance. I just got back from patrol duties. The skies are clear and bright with no signs of any threats. The streets are a different case. Many protesters continue to protest on the borders of the city and soldiers must subdue them every time. “Are you free right now? I need your help in taking some documents from my office,” the Colonel asked. “I want you to bring them in the General’s office, I’ll be waiting there.” “Which one, Sir?” I asked. “The ones on my desk, the folder one,” he answered and passed by me. “Thank you in advance.” He waved his hand at me and rushed down the hall. Stars, they’re making me their errand boy, aren’t they? Though, I could tell the Colonel is in a hurry. What is this document that he forgot to bring with him from his office. Well, this is a good opportunity to use, I might find out something when I go there. I headed straight back to the hallway, navigating my way through the building. The outer walls were made out of pristine glass that overlooks the city below. Concrete walls divide the floor into several rooms. The Colonel’s office is in the same floor as where I am right now so navigating my way there wouldn’t be much of a problem. I took a detour on the nearest hallway, passing through the crowded lobby until I finally reach his office. The door of the office is locked with a fingerprint scanner that only the Colonel and his Lieutenant Colonel can access. Since I am his Lieutenant Colonel, I have access in his office. I pressed my thumb on the scanner as it scans my fingerprint until the system lit in recognition. The scanner lit in green and the door clicked unlock. I twist the knob on the door, heading inside the office and finding the document the Colonel forgot. The walls inside were painted in an azure color. With the desk sitting on the center back of the room, plants placed on each corner and shelves of documents and drawers placed on one side of the room. There is also a couch placed on the opposite wall of the shelves. The floor tiled with the same marble as the ones outside. My eyes lurked on the Colonel’s desk, searching for a folder. I caught the glimpse of a folder filed beneath a pile of overlapping documents. I pulled it from the pile, grabbing it and taking a peek inside. Report on the advancements of the Hyperbeam Fuse Hyperbeam fuse? What is that? My eyes scrolled down on its contents, reading the report stated on it. The Hyperbeam Fuse is currently on the second stage of development. More research are being conducted by Dr. Romero and his colleague and will continue observation. The third stage of experimentation and development is scheduled to be done by the second half of February. My eyes widened as I continue to read the rest. This is... this is the new technology that Uncle is talking about. I thought that I have to sneak in through the research facilities in order to look for information but it seems this document made it all easier for me. It also meant that the Colonel is involved whatever technology they are experimenting on. Though, the details of what this technology could do isn’t stated. Should I try involving myself in this case along with the Colonel? I pulled my link out from my pocket, the one not attached to the system and snapped a picture of the document. The least I can do right now is to share this information with the revolution. I’ll have to report this later to Uncle. I closed the folder and took a sharp breath. I shall bring this to the Colonel first. I left the room, locking the door sealed once again. I clutched the folder between my shoulders and walked down the nearest elevator. I pressed the up button of the elevator and waited for the doors to open. The general’s office is on the third-highest floor in the building. In other words, the 98th floor. And I am currently on the 30th floor. The elevator doors buzz open and I entered. I pressed the 98th button on the side and the doors closed and began to move upwards. I was alone inside the elevator, my skin tingling in the cold air inside. The doors latched, sliding open and I stepped out of the elevator. A wide, vast lobby welcomed me as I stepped out. The ceramic floor shining against the white light coming from the ceiling. I skidded my way on the slippery floor, arriving at what seems to be a conference room. Glass wall divided the room from the lobby. The inside is almost pure white, with light furniture placed on the walls. There weren’t much privacy either. From outside, you can see everything that is going on inside. From the people sitting in the long table to the text laid out on the screen. So far, there are only few I could see inside. And I didn’t know that the General isn’t a big fan of privacy. Colonel Ricardo sat on one of the swivel chairs around the table, beside him were few scientists and researchers having a conversation against each other. I forwarded myself, pushing the glass door open. Their voices swarmed as soon as I opened the glass door, the scent of air condition pulverizing my nostrils. “Excuse me for the intrusion, Lieutenant Colonel Melani present,” I implored, making my presence known to the room. The voices hushed as their eyes lingered on me. I maintained composure as I waited for the Colonel to give me his orders. Our eyes met and he gestured his hand for me to come close to him. “Sorry for the interruption General, I just forgot the documents in my office. I asked the Lieutenant to bring it to me,” Colonel Ricardo excused. I passed the folder to him and he quickly grabbed it from my hand. “If you looked at its contents, please don’t mention it yet to anyone,” he instructed. “Understood, sir,” I noted. “Since you already know what’s up, Lieutenan Colonel Melani, would you like to take a seat?” General Belmann offered. What a tempting offer. Should I accept or should I decline? It’s a chance to know more about it but at the same time it might be a trap for me. “Is it alright for someone like me to join?” I asked. “Yes, of course Lieutenant, we would like to have another pair of ears around and a few more opinions in that matter,” one of the scientists interjected. “The name’s Dr. Helix by the way,” “Lieutenant Colonel Melani,” I spoke. “Then with all due respect, thank you.” I sat on the empty seat next to the Colonel and presented myself in the group. Fine then, I’ll take the bait. Knowing more means help to the revolution. The glass walls turned from transparent to a shade of black. The lobby disappearing from our sight, bringing a sense of privacy into the room. I take back what I said about the General. He does have privacy. “The Hyperbeam Fuse is a not a weapon, correct?” the General asked to the scientists. “Yes, General, it is a new technological invention that defies the laws of gravity and space,” one of the scientists stated. “Though it could also be considered a weapon if you think about it.” “What does it do exactly?” Colonel Ricardo asked. “The technology has the ability to merge atoms, or merging the astral force of space,” Dr. Helix began. “Let’s say that we have two planets next to each other. We can use the gravitational force surrounding them and merge them together into one. “And as Dr. Fuentes said, it defies the laws of gravity and space. The atoms that belongs within that gravitational and astral force will react to a way that it can be combined to another atom.” He explained. “So to speak, you’re telling us that this technology can merge and combine together planets and other atomic mass?” I concurred. “Not only that, but it has the capacity to merge together everything, even us living beings,” Dr. Fuentes added. A technology that could potentially be used against us. With the atomic matter dissipating and reappearing again in the process, it can collide through another mass, forming them into one. It seems crazy but this is the 22nd century. “If all goes well, we may be able to use it to fuse together Espia and Phillis,” Dr. Helix stated. I froze on my spot as I hear our galaxy’s name being mentioned. This is the reason why they wanted me to investigate this technology. It was because it could potentially lead to our destruction, to our total defeat against their nation and galaxy. They will merge our galaxies together to form one single galaxy where both our galaxies will live. And if that happens, we can never fight back anymore. It’ll be over for us. “Are there any side effects or any threats?” I asked, interfering. “Actually… there is,” one of the scientists hesitated. “There is a chance that the technology could fail. That instead of fusing the two galaxies, it’ll collide them together, causing a massive destruction on both galaxies, destroying them entirely,” Dr. Helix explained. Well, that certainly isn’t good. And don’t like that either. We may want for the Espian to go back to their galaxy and leave us alone, but we wouldn’t want for their galaxy to be destroyed. That said, someone definitely has to stop this technology from being turn into reality. “Further examination must be utilized. Our goal isn’t to destroy any of the two galaxies but only to conquer them. Find a way to avoid the worse possible outcome,” General Belmann affirmed. “Yes sir,” the scientists agreed. The light swarmed in once again from the outside. The dark shades of the walls turned back to its glass, transparent figure, making the lobby visible again. The scientists began to stand up from their seats, bidding their farewells to us and to the general. “How is it?” The general asked me. I glanced at him and swayed in a split second. I brushed my chin with my knuckles, thinking of the right statement to say. “Certainly, combining the two galaxies is a good idea, though the consequences could be heavy and dire,” I stated. “That’s true. But we just have to trust our scientists,” the general replied. I stood up from my seat as soon as the Colonel stood up from his. We both bid our farewells to him and exited the glass door. “Thank you again for bringing the documents Lieutenant,” the Colonel appraised. “It’s nothing, Sir, I am only doing what is expected of me,” I formally said. “Well then, since that’s all, I will take my leave then. You are dismissed for the day,” he dismissed and waved his hand behind. I lowered my head slightly as he walks away, leaving me in the middle of the room. Now then, what should I do now? I began walking down the path heading to the elevators. I’ll have to report to Uncle what transpired today. This new technology is bad news for both sides, especially ours. And I am not about to let them have their way. My link began to rang as I approach the nearby elevator. I paused, halting on my steps as I check which link is ringing. I searched for my military link, finding that it wasn’t the one ringing. The other link is the one ringing? Who could be calling me from that one? I checked the link given to me by my previous colonel and looked at the number calling me. I read the number ringing on my phone and confirmed that it was Cesar’s link number. Cesar? Why is he calling me through this link? He should’ve just called me on my military one. And also, where did he get my link number? And what does he want? It’s extremely rare for him to call me in short notice. I picked up his call and connected the line. “Hello?” I called. “Melani, is this you?” a voice crackled on the other side of the call. Cesar’s voice is static because of the connection but nevertheless understandable. “Yeah, why? Something wrong? You never call me like this without informing me first,” I pointed. “I’ll go straight to the point. You have to be careful in Ilumina’s headquarters,” he said. My brows furrowed after what he said. Somethings wrong and I could feel it. “Why?” I asked. “The Colonel told us that there is a spy that got in the headquarters, disguised as a military personnel,” he stated. ***** End of Chapter
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD