Chapter 5: Military Fugitive

3187 Words
Melani Jaunuary 16, 2198 Ilumina Military Headquarters Ilumina, Planet of Metro “What?” I exclaimed after Cesar finished his statement. They know there’s a spy within the military. And they know they’re currently inside the Ilumina headquarters. Is it possible for me to assume that they already know who I am? That I am the spy? I don’t even know if Cesar already knew who the person is. Should I take the gamble of asking? But, if you think about it, Cesar could have just told me about this on my military link. Is there a reason for him to inform me through my separate link? “How’d you know?” I asked, trying to be as clueless and curious at the same time. I can’t let him take a hint that it was me. Even if we’re friends, I’m sure he’ll sell my location to the higher-ups, knowing it’s his duty. “The Colonel told us and as soon as I’ve heard of it, I called you. Ben also plans to do the same anytime now,” he noted. “Do you know who it is?” I gulped. I knew something is wrong when they invited me to listen to their discussion about the Hyperbeam Fuse. It’s a bait, isn’t it? “Yeah,” Cesar answered. “You have to get out of there, Melani,” My eyes widened and my hands began to sweat. They know. Cesar and Ben knows I’m a spy now. The Colonel knows. Which means... The General, those scientists and even Colonel Ricardo, they all knew who I really was. And I won’t be surprise if the people around also knows as well. I felt like my surroundings turned oddly wrong. Is that the reason why Colonel Roni gave me this link? Is the reason I’m sent here because they were already suspecting me? I was doing a good job in blending in. No one suspected of me of doing anything. And everyone trusted me in Nozueq, so how? The world seemed to stop around me as the people waltzed, minding their own business. I could feel the ground tremble beneath my feet, my senses starting to be wary and conscious. Footsteps echoed in my ear, screaming in heels as the familiar sound makes its way closer. The General stood outside of his office, eyeing the lobby with a smile. His hands were on his pocket and his chin raised. He tilted his head towards my way and a smirk flashed over his lips with his credulous eyes. Our eyes met and for a moment, I wanted to punch him in the face. My mouth gaped but quickly closed as Cesar’s voice sounded again in my link, followed by the ringing of my military link. “Melani, I don’t want you to get caught. Whatever you’re doing I know you have a reason. That’s why please, get out of there,” Cesar advised. “I know. I have to go, I already have company,” I mumbled. “Tell Ben to stop contacting me right now,” “What? Wait, Melani—” I cut off the call, ending it with a press of my finger. I lowered my link down from my ear and stared blankly at General Belmann. The man behind everything. I knew from the start that he won’t stop until he get rid of me. He knew I’ll be nuisance in his plans. He destroyed the whole city I lived in to stop me. He doesn’t that it only fuels my hunger for revenge and freedom against them, against Espians. I began walking in haste, curving to an isolated hallway leading to the stairs. It doesn’t matter where I go, they’ll follow me until they caught me. But, I’m not about to let that happen. I pulled again the free link I had and dialled a series of codes. The link began to ring and I placed it back on my ear to wait for someone to answer. Anyone would do, all I need is to inform and warn them about what’s going on here. I need them to know about the Hyperbeam Fuse. The link connected on the other end of the line and a voice answered the call. “Hello,” a male’s voice answered. The voice is hoarse and deep but somehow familiar. I didn’t had the time to think who it might be and instead mentioned why I called. “This is Revolution spy Melani, I have no time to explain what is going on but whoever is listening to me right now, I want you to relay this message to the leader,” I said. “The military army has found out that I am a spy and is now in pursuit and the new technology that they are inventing is called the Hyperbeam Fuse, a machine that can collide our galaxies together into one or destroy them,” I mentioned, explaining. It’s a good thing that I was able to save the location of the hideout on this link. All I have to do is decode it. I have to get out of this situation first if I ever want to make it out alive. The door plunged open and I led myself down the long stairs leading to the very bottom of the building. It’ll lead me down the parking lot. If I could somehow get to the military base and steal one of the spacecraft and fled to the nearest planet. The thumping of my heart echoed along with the beating of my footsteps. Hallucinating noises clampering against the walls as if trying to suffocate me. As I thought, General Belmann tried digging through my profile. Enough digging will give him enough idea of who I am. And where I came from. He may have known who I am before I’m even assigned here. No, it was because they know that I was assigned here. Because he’s behind all of it. He orchestrated all of it up until this point. I can’t understand his logic behind it. Who is he really? A Phillis citizen that turned into an Espian soldier, or an Espian soldier with pretending to be a Phillis citizen? I lodged the door when I arrived at the lowest level of the building. The sound of air gushing from outside and the noise of the streets fluttered in my ear. I checked left and right, making sure none of them are following me. It seems that they haven’t followed me yet. By now I could guess that they invaded my dorm room and found the link I use to contact the Revolution. I should’ve warned them to cut their connection from my link. “Stars,” I cursed beneath my breath and ran across the wide parking lot and to the nearest bus station in the underground crossing. The news seemed to haven’t broke out to the public. Everyone still treated me the same, even to the soldiers that are stationed on the crossing. Thankful to that, I boarded one of the buses that’s routed to the military base. The awful silence inside the bus almost drives me crazy. My eyes fidgeting in all direction, observing every passenger inside the bus and every person that walks down the dark side street. The military base may not be the best place to go since they can decapitate me on the spot. It’s not like I actually plan to show up on their doorsteps either. The military bunker is my target. And I know how I could get there without being caught. “I’ll be stopping here,” I said to the driver and hopped out of the bus. I wasn’t wrong when I thought that they’d be waiting by the military base’s doorsteps. They were actually there. Cutting my identity off the system will take them a while, so I could still use my authority against it. Instead of entering the military base, I pushed the door of a convenient store and entered. The old cashier lady looked at me with wondering eyes and I only hushed her down with a smile. I skidded through the store, making my way through the back door without the cashier noticing. The back door leads to one of the sides of the military base, one that connects the main lobby to the military bunker. I doubt there would be a squad waiting there, only at least a few of them. They tend to underestimate Phillisians after all. I peeked through the back door’s window, glancing as to where the soldiers were stationed. There were two standing guard on the door and one that stood at the end of the alley. Good grief, they sure know how to be cautious. I pulled a knife out of my belt strap and gripped it tightly around my finger, ready to be thrown. I turned the doorknob and a split second, I dashed out, throwing the knife at the soldier’s head. The soldier fell and a man behind me scooted, putting me at g*n point. I glanced and turned, grabbing his extended arm and twisting it. He yelped, his g*n falling from his hand. I caught it in my hands and used the back of it to hit him in the head to knock him out. Another man came at me, g*n pointing in my direction. I swooped on the side, going back and forth in a zigzag motion. I thrust my fist on his gut and kicked him up the chin before knocking him completely with the back of the g*n. I hid the g*n in my holster, glancing on both ends of the alley. All clear. I lockpicked the door until it unlocked from the inside and let myself in. The door led to a dark room, filled with dust and garbage. The furnace room. I tucked in my hair inside my hat, stealing one of the glasses lying around the room. A shattered mirror stretched on the wall, lit with dim light coming from the window door. I checked myself, looking if this cheap disguise would work. It will work. It has to. I pulled my military link out of my pocket and smashed it to the ground, stomping on it until it sparked. The military link is connected to a tracker that could track my location down. I also pulled my other link and deleted Cesar’s number and my contact log. That way they can’t use a hacker to hack into my link and track me down with it. I cannot afford to bring Cesar and Benjamin into this. “Now, what do I do next?” I asked myself as I peek through the dusty window of the door. Nobody seemed to be loitering in the hallway. It might be because they were ordered to be stationed and be on-guard of my possible arrival. I closed my eyes momentarily and recollected the map of the military base. If my target is to get to the military bunker, I’ll have to go through the back lobby and up the elevator shaft. Taking the elevator shaft won’t be an option. Especially if they’re waiting for me at the top. My only option is the emergency stairs. I moved, creaking the door open. I peered through each end of the hall, checking if the coast is clear. I stepped out, keeping my head down and walked casually out and straight to the hallway leading to the back lobby. Soldiers marched down my way with their weapons hoisted in their shoulders. They were in a rush, their feet stomping on the tiled floor. The ground tremble before me as they pass, my heart beating along with it. They didn’t spare a glance at me and I continued without pausing a look at them. Chatter and clattering resounded in my ear as I arrive at the back lobby. The security in the area has doubled up and every person is being checked one by one. The emergency stairs were located on the very corner of the lobby, near where I came from. Armed men saluted with one another as they inspect them one at a time before letting them in inside the elevator shaft. I sneaked through the side, skidding through the slippery floor until my hand reached the door that leads to the stairs. I silently opened it, sliding in and closing the door lightly behind me. I sighed, lucky that I was able to pass them. If not, I would have made a sprint for it. I looked up, gazing at the long staircase I’m about to climb. My endurance will be tested so it seems. I took a sharp breath before I began dashing up the flight of stairs. The door at the very top leads straight inside the military bunker where all of the vehicles and crafts are located. Since it’s the afternoon I’m sure that there’s a spacecraft ready to be flown outside. I stopped at the top landing of the floor, panting and catching my breath. Sprinting up these flight of stairs is no easy feat. I feel like I’m running out of breath. “If I could only take my time,” I panted. I stood straight, keeping my breathing calm before heading inside. The sound of engine welcomed me as I sneak in inside. Mechanics going around and about in every vehicle assigned to them. Wheels squeeked against the cement floor, screeching into my ear like deafening scream. I disguised myself as one of the soldiers loitering around and made my way to the field. No one suspected me or even recognized me as I go and immediately scooted out of the bunker and out in the open. The sun glistering against my skin. I searched for a spacecraft in the vast field, finding one not far from where I am. It seems ready to launch as soldiers begin to lodge the remaining crates inside. I sprinted towards their direction without hesitation, grabbing my g*n out of the holster and began firing. It caught their attention and their eyes met mine. Alarm crept up to me along with the adrenaline and I rushed, grappling one of them by the neck. One of them dashed inside and into one of the craft’s radio, informing the system of my appearance. Shoot! I shot my g*n, aiming at the man’s shoulder and hit it. The loud bang of the g*n in unison with the man’s shout. Two more men came running at me from inside, electroguns in their hands. I took a step back and stanced myself. I launched myself at them, aiming my g*n at their weapon. The g*n rang in my ears along with the explosion of the electrogun. I run up to the man, kicking him in the gut before grappling his shoulder down and pushing him out of the craft. The other man attacked, the electrogun sizzling in his hand. I dodged his attack and blocked the other with the back of my hand. Blue sparks crippling on the tip of electrogun, making me flustered in getting closer. I spun, firing my g*n. The bullet didn’t come. The barrel’s empty. There are no more bullets. I gritted my teeth from frustration and the soldier grinned widely. I took a step back, searching my surrounding for a weapon. The corner of my eye caught a glimpse of a fire extinguisher in the side. I hauled myself towards its direction, freeing the heavy item out of its place and pulling it’s lever out. The soldier charged in towards me and I sprayed the fire extinguisher in his face. Foam came gushing out of the extinguisher’s hose and I pulled myself up, pushing the soldier out of the craft. I press-smacked the close button, closing the doors of the spacecraft. I threw the fire extinguisher out of the craft, hitting the soldier right over his head as he tumble down to the ground. As the doors close, I saw through the remaining gap the squad of soldiers coming my way. Their feet crunching and marching in the scorching ground, sweat glistering off from their face. I hurried back to the front of the craft, taking a seat on the driver’s spot. I observed the front, looking through its mechanism the fastest way I can. I strapped myself on the seat, as my hand took a hold of the thrusters on the side. I began pushing buttons and levers, letting the engine start and the craft to vibrate. Bullets shot at the glass panel window in front of me. Though, it didn’t damaged the glass, it did startle me. My head tilted to my side, seeing a line of soldiers ready to fire at me. In the middle of them was Colonel Ricardo. And we’re just talking an hour ago. The radio murmured in statics as if they’re trying to communicate. My brows furrowed but I turned the frequency on, listening to their final words. “Lieutenant Colonel Melani, you are under arrest for your act of treason and rebellion against the Espian Empire. I suggest you surrender now,” the Colonel spoke. I took the radio from its station and pressed one of its buttons. “Catch me if you can. And relay this message to General Belmann for me, we fight for Phillis,” I implored and shut the radio off. The craft began to take off as I pull the thrusters. The force pushed me back on my seat as the craft began to launch itself up in the air, reaching through the skies and into the atmosphere. My blood pumped high, adrenaline rushing through me. I smile crept in my lips as the black void of space came into view and the shining stars became bright as the morning sun. I exited the planet, finally out in space once again. I wish I could celebrate from my grand escape from them, but I shouldn’t. Space jets appeared miles away from me, each equipped with laser beams ready to shoot me down if needed. I clucked my tongue as I pull the thrusters again. I’ll have to prepare myself. A space chase will begin. ***** End of Chapter
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD