Chapter 6: Space Chase

2389 Words
Melani January 16, 2198 Outside of Planet Metro, Nozul Region of Phillis, I’ve experienced countless things in my life and that includes being in a space chase. But I have never experienced being the one chased instead of being the chaser. I pressed one of the buttons near the yoke and the craft took speed. I hung back on my seat, gripping the yoke tightly as the space jets trailed from behind. I twirled, light and space spinning around me. Metro has disappeared from our sight, realizing I am now in the middle of nowhere. How many light years away am I from Metro? The reason we could travel through light years now is because of the inventions made by the scientists and astronomers decades ago. They called it the Golden Age of Technology, where every mystery has been solved and discovered. It didn’t matter where I was, space jets were still chasing after me in this wide space. I clucked my tongue and pulled the thrusters in as the jets began firing their laser beams at the craft. I spun, dodging left and right. The craft tilted in all directions, spinning in the boundless darkness around me. I continued moving forward, evading and dodging the jets’ attacks with everything I can. Who would’ve thought stirring a craft would be this difficult and tasking. I pulled the yoke up as I curved it to a tight cross. Lasers swooping in the side in no more than twice. The radio beeped, taking in signals that might have come from the headquarters. I’m occupied by their jets already and now they’re sending in a message for me. “This is why I don’t like the General,” I mumbled. I skimmed through the control board in a quick swoop, looking for the lever that activates this craft’s offense mechanism. There should be one somewhere. If I keep evading their attacks, I’ll likely be hit soon. I triggered the lever, hearing a loud clanking sound in front of the craft. The front opened two sliding trapdoors, two laser beam guns emerging from within. A smirk crossed my lips, now that’s what I wanted. The question now is how to fire them. I checked the yoke to see if there are any buttons that displayed a g*n fire. There aren’t, but there is button that says ‘shoot’. I grinned and forced myself to turn around the craft as quickly as I could. I would regret this soon and I could feel it. The craft turned along as I turn the yoke in 360 degrees. I didn’t bother aiming at any of the jets. I jammed the shoot button and lasers came springing out of the laser beam guns. Red light flashed through the cosmos. The sound reverberating outside of the craft. The jets curved tightly as they dodge the lasers, nearly colliding with each other as they rush through me with great speed. They don’t know when to give up and lasers came dashing at me. I pulled the yoke, stretching it on the side, the craft following. I tumbled slightly on my seat, thankful of strapping myself on with the seatbelt. I may have crashed myself on the window shield if it weren’t for the belt. The radio beeped again in short clicks and long pause. Like some kind of morse code. My eyes scrutinized down at it, one eye focused on escaping from the jet goons. Three short clicks and two long pauses. The static made it easy for me to know which one is a pause and which one is not. The number three. Why would someone send me the word three. And who in blazes is sending me this message. Did someone interfered with the frequencies? But who? I didn’t have much time to think about it as comets began to pass on my way. Did I reach a comet belt? It looks like it. Boulders of humogous rocks came floating at bay near the craft. I passed by them in gradual speed. If I hit one it’ll be all over. But that didn’t take long as the jets came trailing off from my behind. I hurried, speeding up the craft by pulling the thrusters up. My other hand held the yoke tight and stirred through the sea of comets. The craft quaked left and right, Turning in a direct up and down, and sharp left and right. The craft stirred, turning itself upside-down at some point. It made my stomach gurgle and groan, although I knew to myself that I’m used to this. At some point I am, at the same time it isn’t. Lasers beamed through my side, hitting one of the comets on the way. I pushed the yoke down, sending the craft along with it. The comet broke into pieces, the rocks separating in the space. The radio beeped again, with the same clicks and pauses. What does the number three even mean. I gritted my teeth and gave up in keeping the radio silent. I plucked it, turning the switch on for voices to come through. “Lieutenant,” the voice came through. The wording sending a familiar sensation; Benjamin. Is he the one sending the morse message? No, it couldn’t be. If he is, then he would’ve been caught by now. “Please Lieutenant, give up and surrender now. I don’t want to end this badly, and worse I do not want to believe that you betrayed us,” Benjamin pleaded. Never let yourself be attached to them. Phillisian or Espian, they are our enemies, the Espian Empire and its army is our enemy. I know that fully well. But the fact that I made strings of connections and relations between them, and the bond we shared over time. It is something that cannot be broken and forgotten all at once. “No, I am not the Lieutenant Colonel Melani you all knew of. I am the revolutionary spy Rosalina,” I said, stating my true nature and form. Rosalina is my codename; my alias. That is what the world calls me. And now they all knew who I am. “Melani...” Benjamin spoke, his voice humming through the radio static. “Goodbye, Benjamin,” I bid and closed the radio. Lasers continued to pass through me as I avoid them at any cause. Light swirled around me and so does the comets ranging in different size If Benjamin is not the one who sent the coded message, then who? The revolutionary army can’t communicate with me unless I get back at them. Not to mention, they may or may not have a clue of my pursuit. There are only two people who I know could have done this. Colonel Roni or Cesar. I am going on the second latter, Cesar. The person itself is a mystery to anyone. I can’t clearly guess whose side he is in all of this. Whichever the case, what does the three means? I looked up ahead, the path of comets fading beside me. The faintest light of the region’s central star awaiting in the end of the belt. Wait, this path that I just took... My eyes made its way to the radar set like a screen beside the yoke. Beside it is a map-like structure, serving as basically the map of the craft. Basically, it tells me the right direction to go. The Planet of Metro, followed by a 5-minute travel through vast space, then going through a comet belt. The three meant the third planet in the Nozul region, the Planet Bunetaz. But why point that way? Did they think I’ll land there to escape? If I wanted, I’ll have to lose these people pursuing me first. And that is easier said than done. No, Bunetaz is a planet of green, a place where the technological advancements were limited. With the amount of greenery in the planet, it is the best place to hide from the Espians. And they can’t step foot in the land easily either. The people in the planet were against the Espian conquest and they kept trying to keep them out as much as they could. If I land on the Bunetaz, they can’t. Though, my next problem in that point would be escaping somewhere that not even their locals would arrest me. One problem at a time, I suppose. I swooped and dived the craft through boulders of comets. Engine churning magnificently in my ear. The jets followed, maintaining a safe distance from me. The craft exited the comet belt safely, the cosmos space once again looming around us. My eyes wondered in awe as the planet Bunetaz appeared in front of my eyes as the craft emerged from the belt. I gaped, seeing the humungous size of the planet. It is twice or thrice the size of Metro. The jets came swooping on beside me, catching up to the craft. I clucked my tongue, turning the yoke up and spinning it. The craft flipped upside-down, moving through the top of the jet and onto the other side. I pulled the thrusters, locking on to the location of the planet. I engaged the laser firearms, activating the ones in the back of the craft and firing them at the jets. They churned in the space, gliding sideways. My eyes trailed on the rear mirror outside of the craft, overlooking those behind it. My eyes widened and a rush of fear came sweeping up my back. One of the jets activated its laser cannon. Stars, if that thing hits me, I’ll be crash landing in Bunetaz with a high possibility of dying. The cannon fired and I tilted the yoke as fast as I could. The craft moved one second late and the laser hit the back of the craft, sending it shuddering. The craft quaked at the damage, lights flickered and red lights began to flash around me. Damn, damn, damn! The engine began churning, the system beginning to fail as the craft moved sidewards. The screen in the control front blink, an illustration of the craft’s diagram laid out. One of its parts, the cooler and the left engine where the craft is being boost, blinking in red. It’s damaged. Frights, out of all the parts to be hit, it hit the engine that is keeping the craft going in fast speed. The craft shuddered again. The jets coming to a close around me. I pulled the thrusters, hauling it in full speed. I directed the craft towards Bunetaz, preparing myself for a crash landing. It’s now or never. My body slammed back into my seat as the craft flew through space and down on the planet’s atmosphere. The jets followed, quickly stopping before their jets touched the atmosphere. Everything around me began to beep and blink. Red lights flashing before my eyes as the blue and white color of the skies greeted me as I fall down. I tried maneuvering the yoke, not budging from its place as if it is stuck. No, that’s not it, it froze because of how fast the craft is going, the force of the atmosphere and the gravity weighing down on it. Red-colored letters flared up in front of me. ! A l e r t ! Adrenaline rush through me as I think of a way to get out of this mess. Launching myself out of the seat would only result to a much worse situation. The craft isn’t slowing down, smoke plummeting out from its engine. Heat poured in through the metal sheets of the craft, the glass crackling, shattering from end to another. I held onto the yoke as much as I could, pulling it up so I wouldn’t land face down the ground. The land became visible as I go, trees grown next to each started to take shape. Woods, no, a forest. It would ease the landing but it’ll still be quite harsh. I pushed the thrusters down, trying as hard as I can to break the speed down. The land came closer and closer until all I remember is hitting through the trees with a loud bang. The craft boomed behind, followed by multiple explosions, causing me to cover myself with only my hands. The blast rang into my ears, deafening. My head hit straight on the control panel, a cushion bursting out from the yoke. The glass front break and shattered into shards. I can barely open my eyes as I free myself from my seat. Shards scattered down the craft’s floor, parts of the craft clattered down on the ground. Wires extended from the ceiling, flared and swayed, sparks flickering at the ends of it. I looked at my surroundings, the outside of the glass covered in trees and fields. I stumbled, leaning against the wall. I think I hit my head pretty hard. My world spun, my eyes blinking and barely open. I groaned, feeling the ache coming from my head. I touched my head, seeing blood trickling down my side. Everything felt light around me, and I flail, trying to keep myself in my feet. I... need to get out of here... I took a step forward but before I could take another step, my knees break down, falling on one side. I battled to wake my consciousness, my fingers trembling as it traces the scraped metal wall, finding their way to the exit. I dragged myself, but I was too late. My feet gave up and so does my arms. My body fell on the ground with a thud and my consciousness dying down. “I... need to... get out of here...” I mumbled with the remaining force I had. My eyes closed, my sight turning into pitch black. And everything fell into darkness. ***** End of Chapter
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD