Chapter 2

2163 Words
6 months earlier  Kaida POV      I looked down at the crumpled and weathered paper in my hand, confirming with my map splayed out on the dirt, that this was in fact where Casey’s coordinates had been leading us to. I could sense Anja and Irene pacing behind me nervously as we eyed the settlement suspiciously.       Why in the name of the Goddess would he be heading here? We’ve been on the road for months, ducking behind shadows like criminals, only moving in the night, to wind up here?      Nikita snarled furiously as she eyed the settlement through my eyes with so much malice it was almost impossible to not get affected. I fought her burning emotions, struggling to regain myself as I chocked down the animosity and blood lust.       I would not lose myself to her wrath. I would not become the monster everyone feared. I could control this.       Those three little sentences had become almost like a spell I would tell myself, to bind and dampen my emotions. They held no real magic other than cementing my resolve on a psychological level. If you told yourself something enough times you could trick your own mind into believing it.      Yes, but I'm not your mind, I'm my own mind. You don’t control me. We work together human      I grunted in irritation, blocking my Lycan out. We’ve been growing further and further apart, agreeing less and less with each passing day. I was at a loss as to what I could do to mend our connection and some days, I wondered whether or not I really wanted to. If we became more connected again... would I lose myself to her wrath and violence? I shivered at the thought, remembering when she had almost torn into some pups while lost in her bloodlust. I couldn’t allow something like that to ever happen, I would never be able to forgive myself, or her.       Cautiously, my pack and I approached the borders of the settlement, scenting the air for any signs of danger. Had my father not given me the coordinates to here, there’s no way I would have ever come near such a lowly place, but there had to be a reason he was setting up in such an abhorrent location. I sniffed the air again, scrunching my nose at the disgusting, salty odor of humans. They were one of the few creatures who didn’t have a specific scent associated with them, and instead just usually smelled of sweat and whatever they had been doing that day. They were more pleasant to smell and be around than demons, but not by much.       Humans were such pathetic and weak creatures as well, barely surviving the toils of making it to the next day. They worked so they could eat and they ate so they could work harder the next day. Even their settlements were nauseating, so wasteful in the way they organized themselves and used the resources blessed upon them by their Gods. As of late, they’ve even started forgetting their gods, instead turning to what they call science for answers. It’s happened a few times before and every time, one of their vengeful Gods comes down, scorned by their complete lack of respect, and completely resets them back to their cave man days.       The only humans not affected by this are the hunters, but they are also aware enough to know not to disrespect their gods, since they’re the only reasons they can even stand on equal footing with the rest of the realms that the humans are so blissfully ignorant of. Hunter settlements are very different from regular human settlements, and you would never catch me wandering anywhere near one. They had all kinds of traps and weapons set up to keep the moon children out of their domain.       Where the average human town was more like a village caked in mud and dust, hunter towns were like city's, bustling and busy, shining from the refined metal they used to build all their fancy contraptions. Perhaps it stems from being a pack oriented being myself, but it really disgusted and repulsed me how the hunters even looked down on their human relatives, not bothering to help or try to educate them so they wouldn’t keep repeating the same cycle of destruction each time they displeased their Gods. Then again, the repulsion could simply just be an aftereffect of being a member of a race they played a huge role in nearly exterminating, but I hated hunters more than any other being on this planet.     “Do you smell hunters in this town?” Anja asked nervously as she shifted out of her wolf form, trotting up to stand just behind me as we eyed the town from the safety of the forest.       “No” I stated simply, lifting my nose to air scenting once more just to be safe “but I do smell something off, something not human...” I sniffed again, straining to pick up on any miniscule aroma I could decipher “it’s too feint to decipher from this distance, though” I grunted, displeased in myself “I’m not sure what we’re about to walk into, but I don’t think Casey would set us up. There must be a reason why he’s here” I struggled out, barely convincing myself.      Sure, Casey was my father, but how much did I really know about him? Not to mention I'm certain he has no clue I'm his daughter... so although he may not set up his own daughter... someone who is barely an acquaintance? … maybe.       The sound of Irene shifting out of her wolf form, distracted me from my thoughts, as I turned to face my Beta, waiting for some words of wisdom or advice on her part. She gave me a solemn look, pursing her lips as she reached out her hand, placing it on my shoulder and giving me a gentle squeeze.       “I don’t trust Casey... but I do trust you and your instincts. They told you to come find him, so don’t go second guessing yourself now, be resolute and confident in the decisions you make and trust in yourself more”       “Right” I nodded, placing my hand on hers and squeezing back gently, grateful for her encouragement and trust. I pulled some clothes out from the bag I had been carrying on my back and handed them to my friends “Get dressed and maybe get a little dirty... we need to blend in with the humans and get a better idea of what is going on around here”       Rapidly, the two women got dressed and followed behind me as we stepped out onto a road that led into the village. They trailed up closely behind me as we looked around for any signs of danger, but none of the villagers even seemed to notice our intrusion into their village.       *Maybe they’re used to visitors? *      My Beta mindlinked me as I eyed all the humans bustling about me without a care. This didn’t seem to be a highly trafficked road, it definitely wasn’t on, or even connected to for that matter, one of the major trade routes... but I suppose it could be they’re just used to visitors. The thought, however, didn’t sit right with me. I just couldn't shake the feeling that something was off.       *I Don’t like it here, lets split up and cover more ground. Ask around about Casey. Mindlink me the moment you find anything out, or if something feels off* I sent out to both the women.      They gave me a slight nod, then split up, each in their own directions. I sniffed the air again, trying to place the odd smell, but the more I tried to identify and isolate the scent disturbing my peace of mind, the more frustrated I grew. I should definitely be close enough to be able to recognize it by now, yet somehow it still eluded me. Nikita paced in my head, growling in her frustration, further setting my nerves on edge. I could feel a heat of anger raise from the pit of my stomach as I continued to scent the air, determined to place the smell.       Just as the disgusting smell registered, sharp claws dug into the back of my scalp, slamming my head up against the brick wall of the alley I had wandered into. My neck scorched and sizzled from the silver blade the assailant had pressed up against my neck.       Nikita growled in my head, clawing at the walls of my mind, trying to force her way through so  she could dispose of the attacker personally. Had we not been in a human town, I may have let her sate her lust for this fool's blood, but I couldn’t risk exposing myself to the humans. The panicky creatures would no doubt go on another one of their despicable crusades, or witch hunts, undoubtedly murdering many innocents. I didn’t really care about what they did with each other, but this would no doubt draw the attention of the Hunters, and that could be a real problem.       “What are you doing on our land” a gruff voice growled out       “As far as I know, this land doesn’t belong to any packs. There were no scent markers to designate I had trespassed on any pack territory” I growled back, using every ounce of restraint I possessed.       “Well, it does. So state your business”       Something felt off about this. I was certain I hadn’t crossed into any pack's territory; I would never make such a careless mistake. I sniffed the air, trying to catch the scent of my assailant so I could figure out what pack I had somehow crossed into, but the air was only filled with same nauseating scent of humans and the scent I had been tracking earlier, which wasn’t that of any pack. Not unless Vampires suddenly started running in packs. There was a nest nearby. Which made this wolf’s claims even more absurd, no wolf pack would ever live so close to a vampire nest. Not willingly.      “Speak” the wolf snarled, shoving my face further into the concrete. I could feel my claws start to extend, as I began to lose the strength to restrain my Lycan. If I didn’t get this pup off of me soon, there would be bloodshed.       “I heard you asking some of the townsfolk about Casey wolf, I know you didn’t just waltz in here. Speak now or I will have your head”      Just how long had this fellow been following me? I always had my guard up, so the fact that I had been completely unaware of his presence left a bitter taste in my mouth. Nonetheless, he had mentioned Casey. Could this possibly be one of the wolves my father had recruited? It would make sense why there would be no pack markers, they wouldn’t want the council catching on to their location.      “I’m on the run” I half lied, testing the waters “I need sanctuary with the Rogue Alpha” I pleaded, faking panic and forcing tears down my eyes “he’s the only one strong enough to help. That monster Kane is after me, I’ll do anything. I can fight” I bargained, trying my best to look the part of a female on the run. I know Casey was well aware of Kane and his pack’s dealings with she wolves, and I was gambling on the fact that he would have informed his pack of his findings.       I felt the man’s grip on me loosen, the knife dropping ever so slightly. Fool. If I had ill intentions, this would be the moment I would turn the tables and twist the knife out of his hands and into his jugular. Fortunately for him, I was trying to ally myself with my father’s pack, and if he was truly one of their members, daughter or not, I don’t think they would forgive me for killing one of their own.       “The Alpha will decide what to do with you” the wolf grumbled, grabbing my wrists and binding them in silver “You better not be lying or he will have your head”       If only this pup knew.       He was about to reunite his Alpha with a daughter he never knew he had.    
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD