Chapter 2

1297 Words
“Are you listening to me?  Earth to Mayah…” Krista waved her hand in front of Mayah’s face.  “Gosh, if it bothers you that much then we don't have to have a party.” “Sorry...I was…” “Ignoring me again.  Spacing out… what gives?”  Krista rolled to her side on Mayah’s bed. Mayah only shrugged at Krista.  They both agreed not to tell Roach about seeing Kace at work.  It had been a week since they saw him but Mayah had been distracted ever since.  She wasn't sure if it was from guilt or curiosity but she still felt off about their encounter that night.  Even though she only knew Kace for a short while before he left, she knew he was anything but calm and forgiving.  Shoving her worries aside, she stood up and walked over to her closet. Adriano was coming by today to talk to them about Marco’s upcoming trial.  Mayah had all but put her past behind her but with the trial date getting closer, she has been more jumpy than usual. “If you're worried about court, don't be.  Between dad and Adriano, we’re untouchable...You're untouchable.  I’m going downstairs. Don't take a million years changing.” She threw a pillow at Mayah before running out of the room. Mayah hurriedly changed her clothes, threw her hair in a messy bun and ran down the stairs.  It had almost been two weeks since she last saw Adriano. Making her way down the steps she saw Adriano at the door with her father and let out a squeal.  “You're back! When did you get back?” She hugged him tight not wanting to let go. “Late last night Princess.”  He hugged her back, kissing her forehead  before letting go. “How have you been?” She gave him a quick fine in response before leaving him to talk with her father.  He turned back to Roach as he watched Mayah rush to join her sister in the kitchen. He had told Mayah he left town on a business trip but the real reason was that he had some mafia business he had to attend to in Spain with his brother.  Once he was sure that she was out of earshot he gave Roach a worried look. “We have a problem” he said following Roach to his office.   Roach stepped to the side letting Adriano pass.  “What's wrong? You look like you saw a ghost” He took a seat across from Adriano and took out two glasses filling them with whiskey.   “Jackson got released early on good behavior.  You told me you were going to take care of him!”  Adriano was fuming. He had no intention of allowing him to leave alive after his interrogation but Roach wanted to take care of him and Derik.   “I had no choice.  I had to turn him over.  We went through this. Don't blame me for the feds mistake.”  Roach gulped down his drink. “It was the only way we could use them to get Mayah out.  We’ve been over this.” “But early release for good behavior?  That’s s**t and you know it. Marco’s must have paid someone and that means he’s going to make a move soon.  Its too close to the trial for this to be a coincidence.” Adriano pulled out his phone to text his brother. Carlos was supposed to be picking Krista up but he wanted to make sure that they had a protection detail no matter where they went. “Coincidence or not, I don't think Jackson’s dumb enough to come after them again.  He knows you want his head on a silver platter.” Roach downed his second cup of whiskey.   “They shouldn't be out in public anymore.  It's not safe. She’s not safe.” Adriano raked his hands through his hair.  “We need to tell them.” Roach shot an angry glance at Adriano’s suggestion.  “No! So they can go back to being paranoid? Back to having nightmares?  They finally get to be teenagers again...Mayah for the first time! I’m not ruining that for them and neither are you.”   “Roach, I won't all  Mayah to be-” Roach gulped down his third drink, slamming his glass down.  “That's right boy! You won't because she is my family! She’s my daughter now!  You don't come here dictating the Devils Angels or the Devil's daughter!” Roach was furious.  “I think you need to go.” He walked to the door. “Don't go against me boy, you might be dating her but she’s my family,”  he whispered. “Are you threatening me?”   “No boy, I’m warning you.  Now tell Mayah by and get the hell off my property.” Adriano stormed out of the office past the kitchen.  He had no intentions of letting Mayah be put in danger because Roach wants them to have some stupid illusion of a fake safety net. “Hey!  Adriano, wait!  What's wrong?” Mayah jogged to catch up as he made it to the front door.  “What happened?” Turning to face her, Adriano pulled Mayah into a tight hug.  Seeing an angry Roach approaching Mayah from behind he kissed Mayah’s forehead.  “Its nothing Princess, just a disagreement. I’ll call you later.”   “Wait, we were supposed to hang out today.”  Pleading, she pulled on Adriano’s arm.   “I know Princess but something came up.  I’m sorry.” He glared daggers at Roach as he placed a kiss to the back of her wrist.  “I’ll call you later.” Mayah’s heart sank as she watched Adriano walk away.  She knew he and Roach were arguing about something...she just didn't know what.  “Dad, what happened? Why were you guys yelling?” She followed Roach back to his office with Krista close behind. “Because your boyfriend doesn't know his place.”  Mayah jumped at his raised voice. Mayah couldn't remember the last time he raised her voice to her.  “You can't see him until he remembers it” “But dad-”  she sobbed.   “No buts Mayah.  Stay away from him until I say.”  His tone was firm even though it broke his heart to see the tears in Mayah’s eyes.  He watched as she ran from his office to the stairs to cry in her room. He didn't want to make her cry but he had to make sure he got his point across. “Dad, are you serious?  What was that bad that they can't see each other?”   “Krista, don't start.”  he sat at his desk. “Krista, I have work to do...go check on your sister.”  He really didn't want to have to argue with two daughters in one night. She rolled her eyes and slammed the door behind her.  He pulled out his cell to check the texts he ignored during his argument with Adriano. He was expecting Doc and Stitch to report about some new drugs popping up in their territory.  Roach and his club stayed away from selling heroin for obvious reasons but someone has been dealing it in their backyard and he needed to put a stop to it. Deciding he’s had enough drama for the day he went to the door.  Tomorrows another day. 
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD