Chapter 3

1494 Words
Mayah leaned against the counter at work.  It's been over a week since Mayah’s seen Adriano and she missed him terribly.  She grabbed her phone to see if there was any new texts from Adriano. She let out a frustrated sigh when she saw no new incoming texts or calls. “Mayah, whats up?” “Kace?  Hey what are you doing here?”  She set her phone down to walk around the counter to give him a hug.   “Well, I decided to come say hi to you and Krista...but I don't see her.”  Kace looked down a few clothing isles before walking back towards Mayah. “No, she had a date tonight so I’m covering her shift.  She owes me big time too. It's been super dead in here.”  The truth was that she would rather be working than bored at home waiting for Adriano’s call that never comes. Kace leaned against the counter next to Mayah.  “What's wrong?” He leaned into her causing her to back way. “Its nothing.  I’m just bored.”  Feeling uncomfortable with him that close, she walked back around the counter.   “What time do you get off?” “Nine.  Thirty more minutes to go.”  “That's cool, how are you getting home?”  He wasn't supposed to go through the front because he was supposed to be collecting a payment from Jason but he couldn't resist seeing her.   “Probably calling a taxi.  I finally have a car but dad doesn't want me driving alone or at night.” “Roach still being the overprotective daddy, huh?  Some things never change.” he chuckled. “So mousy Mayah has a car...what are you driving?” “Really?  You want to talk cars?”  she smiled. She was stunned at the new Kace that stood across the counter from her.  “Well...I think I kinda found my calling.” she giggled waiting for Kace to respond?” “Drivings your thing?  Oh how the mousy Mayah has grown.”   “Shut up...not driving.  Cars. I like cars.” Kace c****d his head to the side.  “Cars? I know Roach is pissed you won't be a Harley girl.  I get the whole not driving at night but you can't drive alone at all?”  He knew that Roach was overprotective but this was a little overboard for him with Marco in jail. “I kinda got caught racing.”  she giggled. “Dad was so mad when he came to pick me up.” “I’m sure he was.  Did you at least win?”   “Yeah, I won…  the kid I beat was a cops son that goes to my school.  He was a sore loser.” Mayah took a look at her phone to check the time and to see if there was anything from Adriano.  “Finally! Five minutes to go.” She squealed trying to hide her disappointment and pulled her bag from under the counter. “Cars huh.  I like that.  You seem happy.”  Kace brushed his hand over hers.  Realizing his mistake he cleared his throat.  “So, if you need a lift home I-” he looked up hearing Jason’s voice from behind a rack “Mayah, make sure when you call your ride-” Jason froze at the sight of Kace smiling next to his employee. “Jason?  Are you okay?”  Mayah’s asked.   Snapping out of his daze he responded.  “Yeah, um I’m fine...Mayah, go ahead and clock out.”  With his reputation, Jason didn't want Kace anywhere near his employee.  “Who’s picking you up?” “Oh...I’m calling a cab.”  Mayah grabbed her phone and started dialing when Kace reached out to stop her. “Why pay someone to drive you home?  I’ll go drop you off.” he grinned at Mayah before shooting Jason a threatening glance. “Kace, you don't have to.  I don't mind taking a cab.”  She clocked out and slipped out from behind the counter. “Let me drive you, I promise to be on my best behavior.”  He raised his hands at her with a smile daring Jason to protest.  “It's been awhile since I've been on that side of town anyway.” He lead Mayah to the door and winked at Jason leaving him in the store.  “I’m going to shoot my friends a text real quick. Get in.” He texted his two men waiting out back of the store that they would need to catch a ride back to the den before sliding into the driver's seat of the car.  “Let's go see daddy” he snickered, peeling out of the parking lot.   Mayah giggled as Kace sped through traffic, weaving in and out of lanes.  Kace’s driving was a welcome distraction for her. “Since when did you trade two wheels in for four? ” “Since my dad has me hauling around his muscle.  You hungry? We can stop for dinner or pick up something to go.”  He wasn't interested in talking to her about business. He wanted to catch up and more importantly, see if she was still dating Adriano.  “I’m sure Roach won't mind. Call him up.” Deciding she wasn't ready to go home yet, she sent her dad a text to get permission to hang out and catch up with Kace.  Once he said it was okay, they pulled up to an all night diner. Mayah pocketed her phone and followed Kace inside. After taking a seat at a booth and placing their orders, the two spent the next hour and a half telling jokes and catching up on what Kace missed since Roach booted him from the club.  “So, not only do you like racing...you like modifying cars?  What does Roach say?” Kace drank down the last of his chocolate shake. “That this is something he would expect from Krista.  Except the cars part.” She glanced at the clock behind Kace’s head.  “It's getting late. I should get home before dad sends out the whole club to track us down.” Kace pulled his cell from his pocket.  He didn't want the night to end but he knew she was right.  He paid the bill and walked her out to his car. He noticed that Maya had not brought Adriano’s name up the whole night.  He walked her around to the passenger side. “I had a good time tonight.” he heard her say as he leaned back next to her against the door.  He turned his body to face her. “Me too. Jesus Christ Mayah.” He said almost in a whisper.   “What's wrong?”  She gave Kace a worried look. “This.”  he answered and without warning he pulled Mayah into him kissing her.  He pulled back from the kiss and let out a growl. “I’m sorry for kissing you but...I couldn't help it.  God, you still taste good.” He slowly ran his finger down her arm as she jerked away. “Kace...this is a bad idea.  We can't do this.” She took another step away from him.  “I”m dating Adriano.”  Kace’s heart sank.  “Mayah, I’m sorry.”  He took a step towards her as she took another step away.  Each step she took back from him made him feel that much more guilty about his actions.  Seeing the panic in her eyes he stopped and raised both hands. “Please...Mayah. I’m sorry.” Mayah opened her mouth to speak but her pocket started to vibrate.  When she pulled the phone out and looked at the screen, her heart stopped.  Adriano was calling. Once the phone stopped ringing she unlocked the screen.  She had twelve missed calls and twice as many texts from him and almost triple that from Roach.  “This can't be happening!” Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath. Between Roach and Adriano, both of them probably organized a had both sides.  Seeing the panic in her face he called her name.  “Mayah…” He took a step towards her silently hoping she wouldn't move away.  When he took another step towards her he instantly took a step back seeing a number of SUVs and motorcycles speeding towards them at a high rate of speed.  “Oh, Shit.” he said causing Mayah turned around to see what had Kace’s attention. I’m grounded for the rest of my life she thought as the vehicles came to a stop in front of them. 
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD