Feigned Ignorance

2607 Words
C H A P T E R  F O U R  (Cleo Marie’s POV) I awoke to find myself in the middle of another day; I grabbed my pillow and stretched for a long time, yawned and raised my left arm, and the other one was rubbing my eye. A long pause. I found myself staring at the wind; one thing that came to mind was Vianna. She thinks I like Diego, and to be honest, I don’t- and will never happen. I stood up, and with my feet, I dug into my slippers. My vision is so blurry that I can't see my surroundings. I can feel the slippers and wear them. I grabbed my towel and slung it to my shoulder; I walked towards my closet and opened it. I was thinking about what to wear from the pink checkered mini skirt, a white shirt, and a pair of white rubber shoes. I thought this outfit wouldn’t go to my style. So, I grabbed other clothes and tried to pair them. I put the skirt on the bed; I picked up the white v-cut shirt I paired a while ago and grabbed my skinny black knee-cut jeans; I paired it with the white shoes. I went to take a shower as fast as I could- finding what to wear every day eats a lot of my time. I blow dry my hair, tied it up, put my clear mascara on, a coral blush, and a light pink lipstick. It goes perfectly fine. I stared at myself in the mirror and said, “I am strong and beautiful! No one can bring me down!” I smiled and picked up my black leather sling bag with a yellow fur on the zipper hanging. I took my last glimpse of myself in the mirror and went downstairs to give my kisses to Mama. My right hand was reaching for a hug. I wrapped around my arms from the back of her to her chest. I laid my head on her nape for a while and gave my kisses to her cheek. I whispered  I Love You to her ear that made her giggle and raised her shoulder.  “That tickles me, little brat! I Love You most of the world, Sweetie Pie.” Mama gave me her sweetest smile before I headed to school. I walked towards the door and waved goodbye. A few minutes later, while I was waiting for the cab, my smiles began to fade away when my best friend Vianna came to my thought. It feels like half of my heart feels empty. I wonder what she’s doing right now? Is she waiting for me at the gate? Five minutes later, the cab came. I reached for the passenger’s seat hinge, forwarded my left foot inside, lowered my head and sat. As I was about to close the door, I saw Mama waving at me with her sweetest smile. She gives me the strength to be strong. I mouthed to her; I Love You and threw my flying kiss before the driver began to manoeuvre. The whole trip was silent. Thirty minutes have passed, I am almost late for my first subject. I extended my arm to pay for the fare. I opened the door and thought to run on the hallways, but a second thought came to my mind. I remembered him- the guy who warned me here. So, I lowered my head before entering the gate. I stopped nearby, where Vianna always waited for me every day. I dozed off to our Class Building. As I was about to enter, Vianna, Abby, and her friends were gossiping in the corner of the room. I saw Vianna’s smile are different from the smiles she shared with me for a decade being together. It hits me so hard. I made a mess; She should not forgive me for what I’ve done to her. As I passed in front of them, I bowed my head. To avoid upsetting Vianna's mood, I will not be present. I made my way to my seat as I walked to the core. I see a shadow cast by my desk. I grabbed the white thing on the top of my desk and found out it was my eyeglasses. I covered my mouth in shock. I quickly put it on and looked around me with a smile. I never thought I would ever see my glasses. I heard the sound of a camera; when I looked in front of me, I was shocked. I approached him. He was holding a new camera, and to be honest, not everyone here on the campus can afford that high price DSLR Camera. I said while I slapped him on his arm. “Oy! Canon EOS 800D DSLR Cam yan diba? Yan yung latest this year e. San galing yan? Nakaw mo yan noh?”  His eyes widened, clearly taken aback by what I said. Why? Is there anything wrong with what I said? I raised my brows to him because of his reaction. He said while lightly scratching his head.  “I bought it online last night because I was amazed at the new campus e. Walang ganto sa school ko before, so I took a picture for remembrance.” He grinned sardonically as if he didn’t like what I’d said.  Not everyone could afford that type of camera, except for the wealthy, privileged, and everyone else comes from a business family. For a brief moment, my eyes were fixed on him due to my internal dialogue, and he couldn't figure out why. He stepped two times forward towards me, and I could feel the tension all over my body. Our gazes held for a few seconds before we broke apart. To meet his eyes, I swung my head too high. I could feel his breath and smell his scent, but I couldn't remember who, where, or when he had been at the time of the encounter. I couldn't stop thinking about how beautiful his soft glance was. My heart looks to be soaring for him.  “Ehem!” When Alex coughed sarcastically at our side, we rolled our eyes. "Where am I supposed to sit? By the looks of your seatmates, they think both of you are doing very OK.” Alex was a great annoyer, and I’m glad Mr Reyes changed his seats far from me. “You don’t belong here, Alex; you belong on the fourth row on the left side, the last chair beside the window. Mr Reyes didn’t put you near the door, so you could not skip his classes- anymore!” I said frankly, straight to his face, while arranging my bag on my chair. I was about to sit when Vianna and I met our eyes for a few seconds. I could see the pain in her eyes. I know, I could feel it because it’s still Diego who gave me back my eyeglasses. Her eyes were teary, and I wanted to hug her and sympathise with her, but how? I’m the reason why she’s hurting. She sat down next to Abby and lowered her head. Abby gave me a savage expression as she glared at me. "Did you cry because of that scumbag?" Then she raised her brows and rolled her eyes at me. What a great day to start, Ha ha ha! I whispered as I lowered my head, and I rummaged through my wallet for Diego's calling card. I took everything in my purse out: family photos, coins, cash, and receipts for food I had purchased. I also searched another pocket in my bag, but it was empty. I think I've completely lost it. I tried scanning for my phone and began to search Diego De Ricci’s phone number- and at last, I finally found it.  I began to type my message. “HEY! I’M SORRY ABOUT THE LAST TIME. CAN WE MEET ON THE FIELD AFTER CLASS? I JUST WANT TO SAY SOMETHING. SEE YAH!” A few moments later, after I sent my message to Diego, I heard a beep sound on the phone from the person beside me, Marco. He picked up his phone on his desk, looked at me and hid the phone away from me. “Excuse Me. Let me take this call.” I was confused right now. How could someone assign a ringtone to a call with just one beep? “Huh? What does it mean? It’s not even a call. Why are you acting?” I said it with crossed arms and my left brows raising at him.  “How could someone use a beep sound for a call?” Do you even hear that?” Beep is just for a message?” As I continued roasting him, he was left out staring at me. Then the bell rang. It’s already 7:30 in the morning. When the first class began, Mr Reyes came in with another student beside him. I looked very closely. My blurry eyes widened when I noticed he resembled Diego De Ricci from Building C. I quickly prayed with my hand, closed my eyes, and began to utter. “Lord, please don’t tell me he had exchanged rooms with someone here. And Lord, please don’t let him sit beside me.” I opened my eyes as I could sense that someone was near me. It was Marco, he whispered in my ears with his softest voice.  “Why are you so tensed? It’s just someone you met in the field.” I was left astounded as I heard those words. My ears were starting clinking. “How could you say that? He was the….” I  didn’t notice I was the centre of the attraction in the class now. I lowered my head and sat down. I pinched Marco’s arm because he provoked me. Mr Reyes called me, “Ms Alberts? What’s the matter? You always make a scene.” I could hear they were laughing at me. That day I just want the land to swallow me alive. In the corner of my eye, I can see Marco pinned his eyes on me. I ignored it, but I could feel my heart is skipping a beat. Diego, in front of the class, introduced himself. “Hi, I am Diego De Ricci. I am 25. I lived in Coastal Bay. Does anyone know what my parents used to call me? Anyone? I’ll treat you a dinner tonight.” He looked around and looked at me. Of course, how would I know? I just met him in the bar that Saturday night and, yeah! Had I heard his byname somewhere? And I think I heard it from Vianna. I put my hands near my mouth and shouted.  “Vianna!”  I think my voice was too loud that nearby classes would get interrupted. I buried my face on my desk as soon as Diego heard me. “Vianna? Who’s Vianna here?” I asked Diego. Abby forced Vianna to raise her arm. “It’s your time to date with your crush.” I can hear Abby whisper to Vianna. “Ms Bailey, do you know something?” Mr Reyes asked Vianna. “Please stand up.” Vianna stood up and bowed her head because she was that too shy. He whispered but her voice could able hear the whole class. “Chigo, Your favourite colour is Green, and You had 12 ex-girlfriends.” Everyone was shocked because of what Vianna had just confessed right now. Beside me, Marco said, “Yes, including my sister. Such a Playboy.” I didn’t know that having One-Night -Stand with some other girls is part of his personality. I hope Vianna wouldn’t fall for him too hard. But how would Vianna know such things like this without me even knowing? I just gasped my mouth because of shock. “Congratulations, Vianna! You know me too well; I didn’t expect you to be to genius. Here’s my Calling Card. Call me when and when. See you tonight!” Diego winked while giving his calling card to Vianna. A black and gold that looks so expensive. Vianna reached for it. I can see the happiness in her eyes as she receives that card from the person he admires.  “ Congratulations, Vianna! I told you, you are destined to be with him.” Abby praised her. I am thankful Vianna found a new friend who would protect her. I am such a loser, and I don’t want to cry. But it breaks my heart. I feel guilty. I envied Abby for having an innocent and talented friend that God has sent the earth. I can feel hot water gushing on my eyes. I didn’t notice it was me crying. It just fell. Marco lends me her hanky. This guy always sees me crying. He might think I’m weak. I just buried my head because I couldn’t stop blaming myself for messing things around. “You may sit wherever you want, Diego.” Mr Reyes said and promptly started the class. A man with a backpack standing in front of me. I swung my head high to see if who was the person. And my intuition was correct. It was Diego. “You look beautiful with your glasses today, Cleo.” Diego complimented me before he seated me on the 3rd row, two seats apart from me.  He wasn’t too near to me, and he wasn’t that far.  The first class began, and it went smoothly. Five hours have passed. I texted Diego to cancel our meeting in the field since he had already seen my glasses. I think that was enough. “DIEGO, I CAN’T BE JOINING YOU ON THE FIELD TODAY. I HAVE A LOT OF SCHEDULES. LET’S GO AROUND SOME OTHER TIME.” Then as I pressed send, I looked at Diego to see if he would check my message. But I heard another beep from my right side. It’s Marco and his phone call again. I let out a sigh and asked him. “Like seriously? Is someone calling with that beep sound? Why does someone always call you when I send my messages? It’s confusing, you know.” For the second time, he was saved by the bell. I shook my head and sighed. It is the end of the tiring day today. I stood up, and Vianna called me. “Cleo, Thanks!” then she left. A part of me is pleased, and I feel joyful. I exit the room with a broad smile on my face. I was waiting for the cab outside the campus when I suddenly remembered Marco and those calls. Was it a call? Or he just acted like it is. And how does it happen that every time I send a message to Diego, it is his phone beeping? Maybe it was just a coincidence? Yes, it is just a coincidence. Nothing more, nothing less. That weird! The cab stopped in front of me. I opened the car’s hinge and entered the cab. Then the driver manoeuvers safely on our way home. I let out a sigh, closed my eyes and leaned my head on the window. Maybe I could take a nap since the trip will be an hour.  I opened my eyes and thought, what if the number I am texting is not Diego’s number but Marco. But how? How is it so possible? The card I was holding was the same as Diego gave Vianna earlier.  I’ll see you tomorrow, Marco. I  will find out soon!

Great novels start here

Download by scanning the QR code to get countless free stories and daily updated books

Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD