Chapter 3 : The Double-Crosser

1454 Words
Chloe's POV The only missing thing is the sound of crickets. That's how I would describe the situation right now. After I deciphered the code, I immediately went to the office of Mr. Richard Fergal. An Assistant Professor here in Hyeoncion University. I asked one of my classmates regarding his identity and where can I find his office. Thankfully, she's that cooperative and answered exactly what I was asking. "Um, Hello Ms?" Mr. Fergal muttered asking for my name. "I am Chloe Park, STEM studen-" I was about to finish my sentence when the door opened... again. "Sir! Someone fainted in room B302." Everyone in the room arise from their seats as if they already knew what to do. Because I didn't want to be left alone inside, I followed them. The place the woman said earlier was not that far so we got there quickly. Based on the looks and the equipments, this one is a Science Room. There was a woman lying at the far end of the room where there were cracked cylinder cups and a few ounces of liquids. There was no blood in the area where the victim was lying so she may have slipped or just fainted due to fatigue. There are not as many people present here as I expected. The only ones here are the five of us in the office earlier including Mr. Fergal. And the four female students, possibly classmates of the victim. Paramedic arrived minutes later. And lifted the unconscious woman on a stretcher. "Lorcan, I need to assist this student first to make sure that she's okay. I will leave it to you and to your possible club members," he said looking at the 0'6 footer guy. "Don't worry, Sir. My club and it's potential new members will not disappoint you." He said glancing to us one by one. "Wait," I stopped them as soon as they were about to enter the room where the four students were still there as if traumatized by what they saw. "What are you going to do inside and why are you wearing gloves?" Lorcan (as Mr. Fergal said earlier) took one step closer to me, "Isn't too obvious? We will solve this case," he said firmly. What? Case? I don't remember someone mentioned something like this. "It's only optional for you to lend us a hand. But if you want to help, we'll be able to know you more as a potential member of the club," said the bespectacled girl with shoulder -length hair. "Wha- What potential member? And why do you need my help e-" I would have finished what I was going to say when that Lorcan interrupted. "We will explain it to you later. You can watch us solve the case." After he said that, he went straight inside followed by the bespectacled girl. "We're the same," a guy with blonde hair probably the same height as Lorcan talks. "I'm also a potential member of the club. If you don't know yet, this is a detective club you'll join, unique right?" "Detective club?" "Yes, they are solving cases here at school. The club started last year but can't make an official case due to distanced learning. This will be the first time they will solve a case and you'll see it physically. By the way, I'm Dustin Ho. Chloe, right? " I had nothing to say so I just didn't speak. I just followed him inside so that I could be enlightened by what they were saying. "Who's inside the room with the victim?And if you're not, where exactly are you before the victim lose consciousness?" Lorcan asked the girls as if he was a detective. "Uh, my name is Mika Enes. I'm the friend of the victim. I accompanied her here because someone allegedly ordered her to take the cylinder cups but because I felt dizzy, I excused myself to go to the comfort room." Lorcan and the bespectacled girl seems up to something cause they're whispering to each other. "If I hadn't just left her it might not have happened," Mika said suppressing her tears. "My colleague Minji examined the crime scene and here's what we discovered," Lorcan said looking directly at the four girls. "Someone put a liquid on the chair where the victim stood and fell. " The two women were shocked while the other two looked like something was bothering them. "Now, who is the suspect and why did SHE put that thing on the chair?" Lorcan put a stress when he muttered the word 'she'. "Kate?" the girl with lots of make-up spoke. Lorcan frowned while glancing at her. "I'm Shainah Magtalas. I was in the cafeteria when that happened. You can check the CCTV as a proof that I was really there," she said. "While I was eating I was texting Cindy," she looked at the girl with ponytail who must be Cindy. "How can she put something on that chair if she's busy texting me? And that leaves one person, Kate." "No! You're wrong!" the girl with short hair defended herself. "I'm here and I'm close to Elijah before that happened but I can't do that to our classmate," she burst out crying while saying those words. "Mika and Shainah has an alibi so that means the culprit is between Kate and Cindy who's inside this room when the crime was about to happen." Lorcan uttered the words calmly. "May I borrow your phones to prove your innocence?" Cindy immediately handed over her cellphone while Kate still seemed hesitant if she would give it. With this in Lorcan's hand he handed Kate's phone to Minji. A minute or two later, Lorcan spoke, "We already know who's behind the victim's accident" "Kate," Lorcan utter looking directly at her. "You're an innocent." What? "Which means the culprit is no other than Cindy," the four women were startled when Lorcan said this. "What? How could that be? Didn't you check her phone? There’s proof that we texted earlier. ”Shainah said probably shocked of the resolution. "Yes. And guess what? We also saw that you ordered Cindy to do this to her," Minji finally broke her silence and held the phone which showed the exchange of messages between the two. "That's not enough evidence for you to pressure us! Where's the proof that Cindy did put liquid in Elijah's chair?" Shainah sounds so desperate. "Oh, about that. The evidence is in her shoes. Minji saw a few drops of hand sanitizer near Cindy's chair and there's also a visible footprint on the area. She lose handle of it unknowingly and stepped on it as well. What a clumsy way of commiting a crime." I can’t process what I'm hearing. They've come up with all of those just because of a footprint? "We also found out that the culprit used a hand sanitizer to make it stickier. So even if the hand sanitizer dries on your shoes, the scent will prove that you're guilty, "Lorcan flashed a smile to Cindy. "You beast! You almost killed my friend, she's not doing anything to you! You'll pay for this!" Mika repeatedly slapped Cindy but it seemed too weak because she was crying so hard. "That's right because we already reported it to the police department. If you're lucky, they will only arrange an expulsion or if luck is not with you today, you will definitely spend some time in jail." Lorcan explained. _______________________________________ Soon, men in police uniforms arrived and took the two suspects for interrogation. Lorcan and Minji had a few discussion with the police officers. "So, are you willing to join them?" I heard a male voice from my back. When I turned around I saw Dustin smiling. "Don't tell me you're eager to join the club just to be a detective wannabe?" "Detective wannabe or not, we still solve cases," Lorcan appeared behind me, beside him is Minji. "So, are you interested in joining our club? If you say yes, we'll have you for another exercise to see what can you possibly offer. I assume you deciphered the code because you've been holding than for so long." Oh my god, I didn't realize that I was still holding the envelope until now. And how did he know? Does it mean he was looking at me earlier? "I am not interested in joining your club. And I also don't have something to offer. I excuse myself." I turned around and walk towards the stairs. There's no way I'm going to join this detective club. I don't know exactly what is the reason why there is such a club existing in this university when there's literally a campus police.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD