Chapter 1

2059 Words
Elise had never gone a day in her life without things going her way. Whether it was high school or college or her love life, things always worked out in her favor. So why the hell was her father standing in front of her with his eyes shut and his hands running through his hair like he was beyond frustrated?             “Elise, I can no longer make excuses for you,” Michael Saunders sighed loudly, pulling at his grey strands. “You were supposed to take care of my company, not plummet it into the ground. We need outside help. Pronto.”             Elise couldn’t help but feel a sense of betrayal as her father’s words met her ears. She had done her best as the director of Tranquillity – a company that was all about making using the Internet as simple, breezy, and stress free as possible. She wasn’t all that skilled when it came to the job, but hell, wasn’t it her right to just… Do whatever the hell she wanted? It was her name on the contract, after all.             “Daddy, with all due respect, I don’t think getting outside help would be all that helpful,” explained Elise. “In fact, I think just having me in charge will be fine. You don’t want too many chefs in the kitchen, right?”             “Elise, sweetheart, you did the best you could, but now it’s time to get some help. There’s no shame in that. I already contacted a business analyst. He’s outside waiting for you. You need help and he’s here to give it. It’s as simple as that.”             “I don’t want help,” pouted Elise. “I can do this job fine without getting other people involved!”             Elise’s father wasn’t listening, though. No, he got up, walking out of her office and leaving Elise to sit back on her chair in shock. She stared down at her desk, eyeing the stacks of paper and pens and her computer with a million tabs open: she was a disorganised mess, she could admit that, but that office was her space. Her home. She didn’t want to bring in some stupid business analyst. She sighed loudly, burying her face in her hands and shaking her head. How did things get so messy so fast? She knew being the director would be a hard task, but there had been so many mistakes and drawbacks. All Elise needed was a little more extra time to sort them out…             There was a sound in the doorway, and Elise could hear her father clearing his throat and entering the room again. Elise just couldn’t bring herself to look up at the man. All she could feel was rage and jealousy swirling around inside of her. Why the hell should she just let someone else barge in and take over? That wasn’t something Elise did. She did not back down.             “Elise, this is Adam Bulken. Adam, this is my daughter, Elise Saunders. I’ll let you two get acquainted,” Michael said. “Elise, play nice.”             She almost scoffed at the sound in his voice. Elise didn’t need to be told to play nice. With her face in her hands she suddenly realised what her father just told her. The name… Adam Bulken. Why did it sound so familiar? It wasn’t someone she worked with, and it didn’t sound like someone she had gone to college with…             Elise looked up slowly, blinking her eyes open only to tilt her head at the man in front of her. He was tall and had that whole dark and handsome thing going on. With dark, slicked back hair and a neatly trimmed hair, Adam looked rather sexy. By the look of his shoulders they looked nice and broad, and Elise was certain she could see a hard chest through Adam’s suit and shirt. A suit and shirt that looked rather expensive… Elise eyed the man curiously, narrowing her eyes at him as she tried to remember just where she had heard his name. He was definitely good looking, so maybe Elise had dated him. Or maybe he was a one night stand she was a little fuzzy about…             “You haven’t changed on bit,” Adam said, breaking the silence.             Elise cleared her throat, a little taken aback by his deep, gravelly voice. “I’m sorry?”             “I said, you haven’t changed one bit. You still have that wide-eyed look on your face. Like you’re just waiting for someone to give you the answers. Like you’re just waiting for it to go your way. Like this is all a dream… Like you’re not actually losing complete and total control of your company…” Adam spoke confidently, with both of his hands stuffed into his pants pockets casually. There was a little smirk on his face as he took a step closer to Elise. “Still the same Elise Saunders. Still thinking you’ll get everything handed to you on a silver platter.”             The woman was about to scoff at the man when she realised just who she was talking to. Those eyes… They were cold and dark, but they hadn’t always been like that. And that smirk… There was a time when he sent her a shy, sweet smile in the school hallways. Elise knew just who was standing in front of her.             Adam Bulken. The boy she used to laugh at in school. The boy she used to tease behind his back – and sometimes to his face. The boy who’s heart she toyed with, acting like he was the love of her life when really it was all a plot to see how hard and fast he would fall for her. That Adam… Except he was taller, broader, with a sexy, confident swagger to him. Adam Bulken had changed a lot since Elise had last saw him.             “Adam?” she squeaked.             “The one and only,” Adam replied with a shrug. “You look surprised.”             That was an understatement, thought Elise. “You… You look different. You’ve changed. A lot.”             “That tends to happen when you get picked on and bullied. A lot. You change. You adapt. And that was exactly what I did. Say hello to the new Adam Bulken.”             “Adam,” Elise said with a shaky breath. “You… You’re gonna be… You’re gonna be working with me?”             “Mhm. Looks like it. First thing’s first, I gotta meet your team. I’m sure they already hate you for totally ruining the company they’re working for. You know, by putting their jobs at risk and everything,” snorted Adam. “Let’s go say hello to them. Your father is gathering them all outside. Hurry up now, Elise. We don’t have time to waste.”             Adam spun on his heel and walked out the door before Elise could really say anything. With wide eyes she got out of her seat, not quite sure if what was happening was a dream or not. Was that really Adam Bulken? Tiny, scrawny, heart eyes, Adam Bulken? As she followed after him she wondered how he had managed to turn into someone totally different. She eyed his back as she rushed behind him, taking in his muscles and the broadness of his shoulders. He was huge now.             Adam stopped suddenly, forcing Elise to collide with his back. A gasp left her mouth and she heard Adam laugh in response. Then there was more laughter, and Elise realised then that the Tranquillity’s workers were all gathered around in front of her. Her father was there too, his arms crossed over his chest as he stared right at Elise. She could feel him disapproving of her already.             “I just wanted to introduce myself to the team,” Adam said, his voice booming as he stepped forward. “We’ll be working closely together – but most of my time will spent with Elise. She is the reason I’m here, after all. I know she messed up. I know you’re all mad at her. You have families to look after, mortgages to pay off, bills to pay. You don’t want to come to work not knowing if you’ll be coming back the next day. Right?”             The was some murmuring in the crowd, with everyone nodding at each other and at Adam, with a few workers even sending Elise a glare. Heat filled her up, her cheeks going red as her employees zeroed in on her. She knew very well what their situations were, and the last thing Elise wanted was to put their whole livelihoods at risk. It wasn’t like she woke up one day and thought of ways to ruin the company. No, she had made some bad decisions, but that didn’t make her a bad person.             “Is there anything you would like to say to them, Elise?” Adam asked.             It wasn’t the question that annoyed her – it was his tone. Never in her life had she had someone speak to her in such a condescending tone. She wanted to gasp in shock at what he said, but instead she just crossed her arms over her chest, staring back at him with a slight glare. Even the look he was giving her was pissing her off: he was looking at her all narrowed eyed and with his eyebrows slightly raised, like he was scolding her just by looking at her. As if he was trying to get under her skin.             She shifted on her spot awkwardly, staring ahead of her and eyeing the crowd. They all of a sudden seemed to be giving her disapproving stares – God, even her father looked pissed at her. She felt like everyone was turning on her.             “Elise?” Adam prompted. “Come on, don’t you have anything you want to say?”             Again with that smug tone, as if Elise didn’t realise the seriousness of the situation. Instead of scolding him right back Elise sighed and looked down at the floor.             “I’m sorry, everyone. I’m sorry for what I did. I never meant to put your jobs at risks. I know you all have families. I know you all have people to look after,” muttered Elise. “But trust me when I say that I’m going to do my best to get things back on track. I’m not going to fail you guys. I promise. Adam and I… Adam and I are going to work together to get the company back to what it used to be.” Even though Elise didn’t exactly sound confident as she spoke, she still meant every word she said.             “That’s a nice, speech, Elise,” Adam said, his tone still laced in sarcasm. “Very heartfelt.”             Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, Elise just watched as the workers in front of her let out not so subtle laughs at Adam’s remarks. They were already on his side and she didn’t really blame them for that, but still, it hurt to see them dismiss her message so quickly.             “Thanks, guys. I’ll be in my office,” she said with a long sigh, turning around and leaving everyone behind her.             Elise wasn’t used to being laughed at. In high school, college, and the workplace she was usually the one people tiptoed around, with them being desperate to impress her. But things had changed. Adam had changed. And she hated it.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD