Chapter 2

1227 Words
“You don’t know how to make coffee, Elise? Really?” asked Adam.             There was a look of complete and utter disapproval as he looked up at Elise. He was on her computer in her office, typing away on her keyboard, acting like he was busy when he asked her to go make him some coffee. It wasn’t that Elise didn’t know how to make it – she just didn’t see why she had to make it for him. He was a grown adult, wasn’t he? He knew where the kitchen was. He just wanted to punish Elise, and she knew it.             But she made it, anyway. She made it and brought it over to him and watched him sip at it, his eyebrows furrowing before he cringed.             “This is… This is the worst coffee I’ve ever had, Elise,” Adam said, his voice monotone and his eyes dark. “I hate it.”             “It’s coffee. Just drink it,” she insisted.             “You expect me to drink this God awful coffee?”             “It’s not God awful,” said Elise, crossing her arms over her chest as she sat down on the chair in front of her desk. “It’s coffee, just drink it. We don’t have time to deal with this.”             “Well, maybe if you had been more organised with your files and e-mails, we wouldn’t have to deal with this,” Adam said lowly. “One of the reasons why your company failed is because you just did not correspond with potential affiliates. They wanted to work with you, but it’s like you wanted nothing to do with them. I want to go right back to the beginning. Right back to that first e-mail so we can communicate with each and every one of them.”             “That’s gonna take weeks,” Elise frowned.             “Well, get started,” Adam said cockily. He winked, opening up the desk draw and pulling out a thick, manila folder that was stacked with paper. Slamming it on the desk, he shoved it over to Elise’s side. “There you go. Those are some of the e-mails. It should keep you busy for a while.”             Elise’s round eyes looked up from the folder and then up to Adam’s face. The look of utter amusement he was giving her told her everything she needed to know. Everything he was doing was calculated.             “I know what you’re doing,” she whispered. “You’re trying to get back at me for what I did to you in high school. You’re not very subtle.” Adam had found out through the grapevine that it had all been a bet at the end of the school day – word about Elise’s trick had spread quickly.             She could see him tense up at that. The high school mention definitely did something to him, because that smug smile on his face faded into a scowl. He cleared his throat, placing his hands in front of him on the desk.             “And what makes you think that, Elise?” he asked.             “It’s obvious what this is. This is just you getting your revenge. I get it. I humiliated you in high school and now you want to attack me for what I did. You’re still embarrassed about what happened.”             “I’m not embarrassed. This might shock you to hear, Elise, but your actions and opinions aren’t that important.”                     Elise couldn’t help but let out a little scoff at that. She stood up so she could flip through the folder of documents, shaking her head at the old e-mails. “Well, they certainly mattered in high school.”             “Nothing about high school matters, Elise,” muttered Adam. “Or maybe you’re so immature that you think it does.”             She slammed the folder shut. “You think I’m immature?”             “I’m pretty sure you are. You’re the one talking about being so important in high school. Wow, good job. That’s real significant.”             “You’re the one still hung up on what happened in high school. Three words: let. It. go.”             Adam stood up at that, his fists on the table as he leaned across the desk. “I don’t think you even realise what you did to me. Everyone thought I was a f*****g creep, they thought I was some desperate loser in love with you. You made the rest of high school miserable for me.”             “It’s not my fault you fell for it. It’s not my fault you were so desperate to get with me that you thought that I would actually fall for you.”             “It’s not my fault you were such a b***h in high school that you used people for jokes.”             “Sorry for wanting to have fun.”             “Sorry for being a dumb, little kid who trusted you.”             “Well, you got the dumb part right.”             Elise gasped when Adam suddenly reached out and grabbed her face. With his hands on her cheeks he pulled her into a kiss, his tongue shooting into her mouth as he moaned. Elise was so taken aback for a moment that she could barely move, but soon the feeling of Adam’s soft lips on hers and his strong grip made her whimper into his mouth. She leaned into him, letting him practically pull her onto the desk as she got lost in his kiss and the deep, masculine smell of his cologne. He shifted her so she was sitting on the desk, his hands travelling down to her waist where they moaned and groaned against each other, with Elise’s hands trailing along Adam’s chest. So broad. So hard. When his fingers pressed into her waist that much harder, something hit her: she was kissing Adam Bulken. Again. Just like last time, except now there seemed to be a certain passion in the way he moved his mouth against her own.             It was Adam who pulled away. He stared down at Elise, looking at her with wide eyes before he suddenly just glared at her. They were both panting, their chests heaving and their cheeks a little red as they looked at one another. The intensity and fire in the air was swirling around, growing bigger and bigger by the second until Adam finally broke the silence.             “Go through those files,” he said, wiping at his lips with the back of his hand and pointing at the thick folder with the other. “I want you to look at them so we can go over them tomorrow.” He turned around at that, but not before grabbing his jacket off the back of his chair and huffing loudly as he left the office.             Elise was left to stare after him, her fingers pressing to her lips in confusion.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD