1116 Words
My parents currently live in the country side. So it means I live alone. But even in their absence, they don't miss a day calling to ask how I am.  The front door's creaked open. Someone's inside my home. As I hesitantly walk towards my door, my eyes find themselves looking around the neighbourhood thats devoid of life.  I take in a breath, exhaling as I reach for the knife behind my pants. Better safe than sorry. A cold breeze brushes pass my face as I peer through the gap.  The light in the hallway remains off and abandoned. However, beyond the living room, where the kitchen is, I see a little beam of white peaking from below the door. With cautious steps, I walk in, reach for the kitchen door and then open it.  Only to get the surprise of my life seeing Axeyl Jett Parker standing with wide eyes just inches away from the sharp knife held up against him. Ironically, he's chewing on a carrot. Which he removes to speak.  "Woah!" He shrieks, petrified. "Chill, El. It's just me." He slaps the knife away from my hand and it goes down landing on the carpet.  I release the breath I didn't know I had been straining in my lungs. Just a little bit and I'd have already sliced through his neck. An eerie shiver runs down my spine at the thought.  After a minute of just the two of us completely staring at each other, he finally breaks the comfortable silence. "I'm hungry, let's go get some lamb skewers and pizza."  Axeyl's a dorky boy who barely stays at home. His parents are business people who travel a lot. An only child, and of course, my best friend.  It's not long before we arrive at a small diner that serves 24/7. Axeyl stays in line to order as I journey to find a vacant spot for the two of us. There isn't much people at this hour, considering it was already way past mid night.  I remember meeting Axeyl at a close friend's birthday party five years ago. I mistook him as a p*****t and accidentally pushed him towards the backyard pool. Later on I found out that he had actually been pushed by someone and unknowingly landed his hand on my hips. Eventually, one thing led to friendship.  "A bucket of chicken for you, and one for me." "Didn't you say you wanted lamb skewers?" "I did." He mutters, bringing a fist up his mouth to conceal a cough. "But they serve this way faster." I say nothing else after that, silently chewing on a thigh. Silence reigns for a good minute before he notices the lost look on my face.  At this point, I'm too lost thinking of my upcoming mission to even notice my best friend's attempt on catching my attention  Axeyl snaps his fingers in the air but gets no reaction from me. So he scoots the chair a little closer and smacks a wing on my forehead.  "What was that for?"  "I know that look. What is it? Your work? Boy problem? " I hold back a snort, swiping some chicken crumbs from my forehead. "I don't have time for those." "Which reminds me. "He squints his eyes, pointing an innocent piece of chicken at you. "Where were you? You arrived home way past your curfew." "I don't have a curfew." "Yeah you do."  He sets a chicken bone down and sighs. "Your mom made me in charge of you remember? Do you know how guilty I feel every time I leave you on your own?" I remain silent, internally wishing I could tell him he didn't have to worry. And that I'm more than capable of watching out for myself. Literally.  But as much as I'd want him to feel less guilty of leaving me, I know too well that I have to keep my lips sealed about that. "I'm fine." Is my respond. Taking a bite, I look up to see Axeyl giving me a face. The face that screams 'yeah right'.  I simply ignore him. Allowing silence to engulf the table, I catch a bunch of girls fanning over him from the other table. They're taking pictures of him, but like always, he pretends not to notice.  "I'll...... I won't be here next week. Don't do anything crazy while I'm away." "Where are you going this time?" Without sparing him a glance, I ask.  When I mentioned Axeyl not being an indoor person, I meant it.  I've gotten so used hearing this kind of things from him. Leaving. Each time after that, he'd disappear only to return a couple of days later. I've never placed it to heart though. I don't force him to explain himself either. Privacy is important. "Somewhere. But I'll be back soon." Axeyl smiles a little. " Anyway are you done? Let's go home hmm?" "Lets." - A while ago. "Agent 001's currently surveying the coast of Great Britain. He suspects the next shipment to be loaded during the solar eclipse." "Okay." I stiffly fix my posture. "But where do I come in? And why?" June looses his tie.  Judging by the manner of his motion, he appears to be stressful.  Agent 001's known be the best when he goes solo. As a matter of fact, he's never been paired with anyone as far as I know.  "Recently that rascal got himself shot and refuses to take a few days off to heal. And since the next solar eclipse won't be here until for a couple of months, it won't affect anything. Our spies will be on high alert until Agent 001's physically ready to get back on the field. But he isn't cooperating." So to process the information in. " You want me to babysit him?" "Yes. I mean no."  I catch a sudden lump on my throat. June sits straight as he places his tie on the table. "You won't be babysitting him. Just observe his every move, protect him if you have to, and then report everything back to me. Personally." "Oh." Throughout this whole conversation, my fingers have been fiddling with the pen between my fingers. A habit whenever I'm nervous.  Don't get me wrong though. Im not scared. It's just that. Agent 001's known to kill without thinking twice. Pretty much like me. And he's the best of the best.  An agent spying on his fellow agent? What were the odds. But on the bright side, I'll get to know the identity of this successful mysterious person.  Either that or I might've just given myself an early grave. "When do I start?" June smiles with satisfaction, showing off two adorable dimples on both his cheeks. My finger tingles with the urge to poke them. Did I mention how adorable June can get when he smiles? "Not too soon. Next week." Which is two days away. Crap. "And remember Agent 004." The air goes still as his tone turns serious."He shouldn't know we sent you." "Noted."
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD