Cost of loss.

1041 Words
Ivy POV "So you want us to tell everyone you've died?" Mr Walsh asks, sounding unsure. "Yes." I nod sharply. "ok but why?" He presses, everyone seems to nod at the question. "Because I need to get Brody off my back for a while." I shrug. I point at Conrad and Jace. "Conrad you are to remain in position as Alpha of the Blackwater pack for the time being, I temporarily bequest the position to you, that way no one will know there's been a change." He nods, frowning in confusion. I point to Jace. "Jace you will remain beta and resume normal duties with Conrad." I look to Florain, my serious expression falters as I meet Florains eyes, her gaze is distant, but I can tell she's thinking about the mate bond between Jace and I. "Florain and I need to have a talk, please stay here the night with me." Florains blinks, nodding, she seems surprised, which makes me feel horrible. "Mr Walsh, I'm sorry to inform you I won't be in to work for a while." He scoffs and then understanding my poor attempt for a joke, he smiles nodding. "Ok well I'm feeling exhausted, so if you don't mind?" I suggest. Conrad approached me first, he kneels beside the bed, kissing my hand. "Goodnight Ivy, my queen." he says quietly. I lean in, Conrad's eyes widen as I reply. "Everyone's queen now, for eternity apparently." I wink, he hides his smile but nods. Moving away, Jace kneels, his eyes alight and smile small and soft. "I am so glad you came back to us, I thank the goddess." He says, I nod. "Thanks Jace, now go take care of yourself." He nods chuckling but head outside after Conrad. Mr Walsh approaches me next but only leans over. "I'll be back here tomorrow with Mavis's soup, Is it ok for me to tell her the plan?" He asks, I nod. "Of course Mr Walsh, now go get some rest yourself." I reply, Mr Walsh nods tiredly, but smiles squeezing my hand gently, before he leaves. I'm left alone with Florain who gently closes the door behind Mr Walsh, she turns to me, i gesture to the vacant seat that Conrad had occupied only minutes before. She closes the space between us quickly, taking up the empty chair she sits and waits for me to begin. I sighed also feeling the affect of the nights events, death inbetween too. Florain also looks the way I feel, her weary eyes and tussled hair tells of the stress and toll tonight has taken on her. "So Florain, where do I start?" I asked, more so to myself, she shrugs a heavy breath escaping her. "Well first of all, thank you, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for coming to find me." I say my emotions thick in my voice, Florain blinks before replying. "Well of course Ivy, my life's been nothing but an adventure since I met you." her voice cracks, but she holds it together. The next part hurts me but I know she's wondering it too. "What do we do about Jace?" I asked before adding. "How are you feeling about that?"  I watch as a few different emotions pass through her eyes, before she sighs, folding her arms across her chest, lifting one shoulder in an attempt of indifference. "I don't know, I mean Conrad's your true mate but I could understand if you couldn't forgive him." she shudders involuntarily. "After the state I found you in, hours after apparently it seemed, I don't know if I could forgive him even as my mate." Her words are honest and blunt. I nod, I remembered the pain, it was feeling burning hot, with icey bones, pins and needles and stabbing pains, it was the feeling of being completely broken, emotionally and physically. I shuddered too. "But what about you, you both seemed so happy together?" I press, but again Florain shrugs, looking away. "He's not my mate or even second mate, I can let him go.." She says. The words break my heart... I swallow deeply, the pain's vivid in my mind but I can't destroy my friendship over someone she loved first. "Jace Silver, I reject you as potential mate." As I say the words, I feel our bond snap, the pain that tears through me causes me to gasp, in my weakened state it feel amplified, I feel Jace's pain on the other end. "I'm sorry..please love Florain.." I whisper through the mind-link. Then I blacked out. Florain POV. It had been the most painful night of my life. First I find my first real friend and Alpha like a broken doll, near drowned and dead in the underbrush, laying face down in the mud. My heart stopped, if she'd mind-linked me her location, I wouldn't of found her ever, I could of suspected her dead for days she was so stiff and cold when I gathered her in my arms. I'd dialed Conrad and Jace as soon as I could, I was so pissed and I'd informed them of this. Then her condition had only deteriorated from there, and before I knew what was happening she had taken her last breath... My heart had flip-flopped, the emptiness I'd felt in that moment had consumed me, everything after that had been panic. Mr Walsh had come as soon as I called, my heart raced, I had already began praying but when he'd confirmed the truth, I knelt, closed my eyes and prayed. Every moment and breath had been a small entirety. When she finally woken I hadn't know where to turn, my world had began to turn again. I had whiplash and a weakened stomach from my ever changing emotions. Then Conrad and Jace had arrived, I hated to admit I'd almost collapse in relief at his presence, i needed Jace's comfort right now. Then he'd said the one thing, I'd dreaded hearing from his lips to anyone but me. "Mate" Not to me, no towards Ivy...  I felt betrayed, every moment after had been nothing but a blur and muted. But now as I heard Ivy's rejection, I was brought back to the present only in time to see her collapse. I snapped watching as she lost consciousness, My phone began ringing, I ignored it, shaking her, nothing, her breathes had become shallow again. What had I done? She'd chosen my happiness over hers?! Her last words she whispered... "I'm sorry.." "NO Ivy!" I cried, my heart raced as hers seemed to pause, I started cpr. I wouldn't lose her twice.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD