Because of Him

2671 Words
C H A P T E R  T W O (Cleo Marie's POV) I woke up with my noisiest alarm in the whole world, I swear. I didn't have my dinner last night because I fell asleep all day long. I took my shower and put my clothes on, grabbed the jacket and went downstairs. I looked for mom in the kitchen to give me kisses before I went to school. She was packing a meal for me. She handed me a yellow lunch box, and I wasn't about to accept it, but I realised I didn't eat dinner. I just took it to have something to eat while on the trip and during break time.  The Taxi I booked earlier came to fetch me and to take me to school. As I promised to mom, I won't be using my car for just a month. I can't live without my car for too long, even just for three long months. It's just months, and it feels like years.  When I arrived at the Colegio Internacional, I carried the hoody jacket on my right and a yellow lunch box in my left hand. Then suddenly I felt tired. One thing that came to my mind was I'm still exhausted from what just happened the other night. It was fun as I remember, but It was that. I love to meet the man I have slept with. On my way to enter the gate, Vianna called me. She was inside the campus, standing nearby the gate. As her everyday routine, she would always wait for me. I can't see her. It was her blurry shadow, I know. As I walked through, a man grabbed my arm. I was enthralled and looked at him. With all the confusion, I asked,  "Why?" "You might hit the gate bars." as he pulled me closer to him.  Then I realised the campus gate was too low, so we needed to lower our heads before entering. He entered before me.  "Thank You!"  I thanked him for saving my day from getting embarrassed. I followed him, lowering my head. I am just 5"2 ft in height, but how about him? I think he's around 5"3 or 5"4. Whatever! Via hit my left arm. And she's trying to annoy me again. Everyday. "Was that your new saviour?"  "Maybe he got attracted to your yellow lunch box." She started teasing me. "My Gosh, Vianna? How often do I have to tell you I'm not interested? And Mama gave this to me because I didn't eat my dinner last night. I slept the whole day." "You seem not interested, but you wore someone's hoodie the other night?"  She pouted her lips, pointing at the hoodie in my right arm. "and oh, you must be so tired." Her voice was loud enough to catch some students’ attention. "Shhh! Shut off! You're being so loud!" "I'm sorry." with a peace sign and an evil laugh. I just rolled my eyes and walked fast. Via just runs to come with me. "Slow Down, Cleo!" Via shouting in the hallway caught other students’ attention for the second time. As we are about to head to our room. I began to remember. So I stopped walking. I can see Via is getting confused, raising her left brow. "What are you doing?" I didn't answer her as I searched for my wallet to get the calling card I found on the left side of the pocket. I found the card and reached it to Via. Since I couldn’t see it clearly, I let her read the actual owner I had slept with… I couldn’t "Woah! It's so cool. A Black and Gold card. Looks so expensive." She looked at the back of the card, and in front of it, she read what was written. Her smile faded away as she read the name. So I asked her. "Who was it?" She replied blankly. "It was Diego De Ricci. An engineering student from A4, Building B.  There's a phone number there that you can call so you can give it to the owner. Then she left. I called her, but she seemed to be ignoring me. What did I just do? So I just looked closely at the card, hoping to see those tiny little numbers written on it. I entered the room and went to my assigned seat, but Via was not in her chair beside me. She was sitting next to Abby. I called Via.  "Via, Why are you there?" She just replied,  "I exchanged seats with Alex. Don't worry, Alex won't be attending the class." She continues talking to Abby. Abby was a cheerleader and very famous on the campus. I can sense that Via is mad at me, but I don't know why. 7:30 am, where the class starts. The bell rang, and our Science Professor, Mr Reyes, came with a guy next to him.  I still kept looking at the card to message the owner and to give his hoody back. I looked closely at the card as I could see 8, 5, 2 in it. All I need is five numbers to complete the card and send my message. The professor is still talking, but I don't mind them. I'm in the fourth row. And they can't see me. I draw a sigh, thinking where the hell is my glasses. Damn! I took a piece of toasted bread and a jam from my lunch box inside my bag so no one could know I was eating in the class.  I continued looking for the numbers written on the card. And I can see it's 7, 3, 3, 0 and I can't see the last one. I hear that everyone is getting noisy. Suddenly, I noticed the man beside our professor. He's staring at me. OR maybe I'm just thinking that way. I bowed my head on the desk when I heard a man saying.  "4."  I raised my head and saw his pale face smiling at me.  "The last number is 4."  He read all the numbers on the card. "85273304. Do you know who you are texting?"  I just ignored him as if I didn't hear him. He was about to sit on Via's chair on my right side when I shouted at him. "Hey! It's Via's chair! Get your ass off from that chair! Or else..." "Or else, Ms Alberts?"  The professor asked me. The whole class was quiet, and I could feel that they were all eyes on me. "Nothing Sir." I bowed my head again because I fed my face with embarrassment. "I assigned that chair. It seems Via doesn't want to be your seatmate." I looked at Via, but she didn't look back on me. I feel sad and, of course, mad. I can hear his little evil laugh. Maybe, he's happy seeing me sad. He reached his hand and introduced himself.  "Hi, I'm Marco, 24, from Coastal Bay. A transferee and a music guy. You're Cleo, right?" I looked at his hand as it was dirty. And I looked back at him. "Right."  He took his hand back and wiped it off to his pants. I texted the number on the calling card, adding the last number, the guy said.  "HEY! IT'S CLEO FROM IA-132 BUILDING A. I HAVE YOUR HOODY. I WOULD LOVE TO GIVE IT BACK TO YOU. MEET YOU AT THE FIELD. 3 PM AFTER CLASS." I didn't receive any response, so I waited for about 5 hours after the class finished. As the last subject, the bell rang, and I quickly picked up my bag and the hoody. I walked fast towards the field and looked for a nice place to sit. I sat down as I tried to remember what had happened that night. I can still feel his touch, his arms wrapping on my shoulder, his lips, his breath, his... I think I'm getting insane! I shook my head and uncombed my hair with my fingers. I prepared myself and drew a long deep breath to calm myself down. I looked at my watch. It was already 3:10 pm, and why was he taking so long? I noticed the guy walking towards me wearing a football uniform as if he were in a game. He approached me. "Hi, are you, Cleo, from Building A? I'm Chigo. I heard that you found my hoody. I lost it somewhere on campus."  It made me confused,  "Heard? From who?" I asked with full conviction. "Oh! Do you know Abby's friend? She said you found my hoody. I think you know her. You both go in the same building."  He smiled at me.  "Yes! I'm sorry. I'm in a hurry. Here's your hoody. I had  a great time with you at the party." I ran fast. I needed to talk to Via. Then suddenly, I stripped down. I closed my eyes as I was ready to fall on the ground, but I landed on someone's chest. I looked at the guy in front of me and saw his beautiful jawline, his scent was so familiar to me, but I couldn't remember. My other hand is numbed because Diego held my hand, preventing me from falling to the ground.  I came back with my absolute consciousness. I stood up. I wiped my pants and ran. I heard Chigo's voice saying,  "Marco. Nice to meet you again." As I go along. I don't care about them talking and knowing each other. All I want is to go home and speak to Via. I need to clarify what's really happening. Five minutes after I waited for a cab, it finally came. I gave my address, and he drove fast. The whole trip was so silent, thinking that the guy who caught me was Marco. I love Marco's scent. It's a bit masculine with a bit of a flowery perfume. Not too bad. I like it. NO! I don't like it.  "AGGGGHH!" The cab stops in the middle of the street. The cab driver asked me, looking at the rearview mirror.  "Okay lang ba kayo maam?" I can hear cars honking.  "Yes, I'm sorry. Please drive!" and continued to drive. In the remaining time on the trip. I covered my mouth, looking at the window. How come that they know each other? When Marco is a transferee? It made me think. We arrived outside the Summerpine village, and I had already paid the fare.  "Thank You, Ride Safe Kuya."  and the cab driver replied.  "Thank you, po Maam." I walked towards Vianna's house. I can't see her from the outside. Maybe it was her with Mochi playing outside their house. She noticed me, so she picked up Mochi and entered the gate faster. I tried to call her, but she didn't look at me, pretending she heard anything. It made me feel unbroken. So, I walked alone to our house. I saw Mama waving at me outside our house. She always waits for me every day after school. "Why are you sad, Anak? Is there anything bothering you?"  I hugged her and said,  "Ma, I'm tired."  I didn't tell her about what happened to Vianna and me today.  "Come here, have your warm bath and take a rest. I will prepare your favourite ulam for tonight."  We walked along as her hands were on my shoulder, and mine were on her waist. I went upstairs and sat down on my chair, leaving the door open. I was left there for a couple of minutes when Mama suddenly hugged me from the back. I was surprised, but I accepted her hugs because I needed them right now. "I was about to give you this milk when I looked outside. Do you want someone to talk to?" I sighed and said,  "Yes." Mama sat down on the corner of the bed facing me while she held my hands.  "What just happened? I'm all ears."  I looked her straight in the eye and said,  "Ma, Have you ever had a best friend when you were still in college?"  She smiled and replied,  "Of course, yes! Her name was Natalia."  She became more serious right now. I can see it in her face. With my curiosity, I asked.  "Where is she now? Do you still have communications? Did you just unfriended her?" Mama began to laugh.  "Why did you seem to be such a curious little pie? But alright, I'll answer all your questions."  She took a deep breath first and then started to tell a story.  "Back in the 1970s, I was still in college, and I was the same age as you. I met a beautiful girl, her name is Natalia, and she was so famous on campus. Her family is rich, and I am just a probinsyana type of girl. We became best friends. We ate together, did our assignments together, sometimes Natalia would go to our house, with your Lolo and Lola." She paused, and I asked.  "What happened next, Mama?" She looked down and looked back at me with a smile.  "We are so happy being together. Natalia even told me about the guy she secretly admired. One day, I was walking around the campus, a guy asked me out. And since I'm single and wanted to get along with, I said Yes, it was my crush. I already met him outside the campus at the college trip a year before that. I wanted Natalia to meet him, so I invited him to the canteen during the class break. They met; I didn't know it was the man she was telling me about and secretly fell in love with. Natalia wanted to ruin the guy, and I's friendship. That time, I fell in love with the same guy she was in love with." I can see my Mama's teary eyes. "But then, we continued the friendship we had and became in a relationship. He was the sweetest and kindest person I've ever met. Natalia got jealous, so she did her best to break us apart. And yeah, we broke up.” I felt sad about what happened to Mama.  "Why? What did Natalia do?"  "Natalia would tell me secrets about my past, about your Lolo and Lola’s job just to make me study in a prestigious university. She would even follow the guy in the bar and act as she sympathised with the guy." "She is a true evil, Ma,"  I said with an angry face.  "She's not. She's a good person; she just really loves that guy as much as I do. When I met your father. I broke up with him. and that was the last time I saw him and Natalia also. I heard that they got married and had a Son. I'm so happy for them." Mama gave me a broken smile. I can see that she's really into that guy.  "I hope I can meet him someday."  Mama Smiled widely and stood up.  "Go give yourself a warm bath. and we'll eat our dinner after."  "Thank You, Ma!"  She closed the door. I realised maybe, that's why Vianna got mad at me because she loves Chigo? I gasped because of that thought. I asked myself, DO I LIKE CHIGO? No! I don't! But he was the guy I made s*x with and .. NO! I don't like him. I don't. Do I?  So, I entered the shower room and freshened myself up. A few minutes later, I went down to the kitchen to eat when I found Mama wiping her tears. Maybe she's still affected by what has happened before. I just pretended I didn't see her. I walked to the fridge and told Mama. "Let's eat, Ma!" I want to know who Mama's ex-lover is. Definitely, not Papa. He cheated on Mama with other girls. And I want to talk to Vianna and tell her about my intention to meet Chigo. I don't like him, despite what happened after that party.
Free reading for new users
Scan code to download app
Facebookexpand_more
  • author-avatar
    Writer
  • chap_listContents
  • likeADD